Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth
I got to see what I think was the unrated US cut in theaters earlier this year and it was magical.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Kino Lorber's Blu-ray of Kundun looks really good:
http://www.dvdbeaver.com/film3/blu-ray_reviews55/kundun_blu-ray.htm

It would look better from a new 4K remaster, but it's at least a huge improvement over the monstrosity that is the Region B edition.

(Kino actually wanted to do a new 4K with Scorsese involved, but Disney would only allow the negative to be touched if they did a full preservation on it that would be in the six figure range, so they went with their existing master)

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
Glad I didn't grab John Wick 3 right away because Best Buy's got a combo steelbook coming out tomorrow and it's actually pretty cool looking.

https://www.blu-ray.com/movies/John-Wick-Chapters-1-3-4K-Blu-ray/253888/

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
I know I've seen two different versions of Braindead/Dead Alive. One was most likely the Dead Alive US R cut. The other cut was definitely a Braindead, no idea which one, but it was night and day how different things were.

I know I haven't seen either in nearly 20 years.

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

If the title card reads BRAINDEAD, it's the ultimate NZ cut. If it says DEAD ALIVE it's one of the US cuts. Easy peasy.

And if you're watching Meet the Feebles, turn it off, it isn't very good.

(I'm interested in seeing the restoration as Meet the Feebles has always looked like VHS 5th-generation trash, though)

caligulamprey fucked around with this message at 17:19 on Oct 28, 2019

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!
I’m thiiiiiis close to grabbing that Wick collection despite having all 3 because I’d love them in a single, tasteful Steelbook.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

In addition to plain case Blu-ray and UHD releases, there's a collector's set coming out for Once Upon a Time in Hollywood:

https://www.blu-ray.com/news/?id=25931

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

Egbert Souse posted:

In addition to plain case Blu-ray and UHD releases, there's a collector's set coming out for Once Upon a Time in Hollywood:

The presence of the record made me assume that this would be obscenely overpriced. I was correct. I wonder how many copies of this that dickhead with the room full of plastic crap is going to buy.

It costs 75 dollars

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

CPL593H posted:

It costs 75 dollars
AHAHAHAHAH :fuckoff:

I have spent a downright nonsensical amount of money on records in the last couple of years but that's straight up bananacakes.

caligulamprey fucked around with this message at 03:30 on Oct 29, 2019

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

Begin the operations of the gas chambers, gas schools, gas universities, gas libraries, gas museums, gas dance halls, and gas threads, etcetera.
I DEMAND IT

Egbert Souse posted:

oh cool

CPL593H posted:

It costs 75 dollars

oh no

e: if the poster was full size, i would worryingly be sold on it, probably

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Vinegar Syndrome is putting Tammy and the T-Rex back on preorder on Halloween for one day only for those who missed it during the last sale.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Egbert Souse posted:

Vinegar Syndrome is putting Tammy and the T-Rex back on preorder on Halloween for one day only for those who missed it during the last sale.

Is this just for the slip cover thing or are they making the movie itself a limited edition?

Alec Eiffel
Sep 7, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

CPL593H posted:

Is this just for the slip cover thing or are they making the movie itself a limited edition?

Have you not already ordered the drat thing?

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
Looking forward to The Wizard of Oz UHD. Another decent looking Best Buy steelbook too. I feel like their batting average is getting better with the steelbook designs.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Alec Eiffel posted:

Have you not already ordered the drat thing?

I can't buy it right now, I just assumed they'd do what they always do and I could just buy it in whatever month they release it. Yes, I realize the irony of this leave me alone.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

CPL593H posted:

I can't buy it right now, I just assumed they'd do what they always do and I could just buy it in whatever month they release it. Yes, I realize the irony of this leave me alone.

Why not? You can eat ramen for a few weeks and be fine.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Iron Crowned posted:

Why not? You can eat ramen for a few weeks and be fine.

I'm not going to die or anything I just can't spend the money on silly poo poo like that right now. I did get to see this in a theater recently. :smug:

Boinks
Nov 24, 2003

Has anyone heard of any manufacturing problems with Disney DVDs? I found a used copy of Sleeping Beauty from 2003 and both discs look perfect but neither will register that a disc has been inserted on any of my 4 players or computers. It's really strange that they would both be bad.

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
It's not one of those dissolving DVDs that Disney made for like a year, is it?

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Boinks posted:

Has anyone heard of any manufacturing problems with Disney DVDs? I found a used copy of Sleeping Beauty from 2003 and both discs look perfect but neither will register that a disc has been inserted on any of my 4 players or computers. It's really strange that they would both be bad.

I had some problems with my recent Marvel films. I think I had issues with Infinity War UHD and Blu-ray, and also had a lot of video and audio artifacting with my copy of Mulan. I normally play on my Xbox One X, but then the PS4 Pro couldn't play them at all. (I didn't try with Mulan, I just forced through it.)

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Had a chance to peek at a few minutes of the UHDs for It's a Wonderful Life and The Wizard of Oz.

It's a Wonderful Life looks almost like a brand new film. The existing Blu-ray isn't terrible, but it's from an early 2000s 2K master that had a bit too much noise reduction (no smearing, just looking too filtered and soft). Only caveat is that the Blu-ray that's included is inexplicably the colorized version.

Oz is one of the most gorgeous restorations I've ever seen. The sepiatone looks photochemical, not a bit digital. Then the color makes it look 3-D. The included Blu-ray is from the 2013 edition, which used the same 8K scans of the camera negatives (and fine-grains for the Kansas scenes). It's definitely a disc you will want to demo to show off 4K just based on the color. They unfortunately left off the mono track on Oz, but the 5.1 remix is great - I don't remember it being this good on the 2009 disc.

Also, Arrow's special edition of An American Werewolf in London is gorgeous inside and out. I actually didn't think Universal's 2016 remaster was that bad, but it really pops without the noise reduction. I watched the scene with David being visited in the hospital and the makeup effects actually made me gag a bit from how clear you could see everything.

Liar Lyre
Jun 3, 2011

Here to deliver
~Bad Opinions~

I’m hoping Oz and It’s a Wonderful Life will be on sale for Black Friday. They weren’t high on my wishlist, but I have to see those restorations for myself.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Liar Lyre posted:

I’m hoping Oz and It’s a Wonderful Life will be on sale for Black Friday. They weren’t high on my wishlist, but I have to see those restorations for myself.

They're both around $20 on Amazon right now. I don't think a lot of older films will benefit quite as much as these since they had optimal shooting conditions and the negatives survived mostly intact, but I'm already thinking about all the 3-strip Technicolor films with quality elements or existing restorations.

Imagine a set of Powell & Pressburger Technicolor films in 4K.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Egbert Souse posted:

Yea I was just thinking about Powell & Pressburger and how this is probably now the best home release of any Technicolor film. Ever. Before this it was probably one of their films.

I'm watching it now and it's unbelievable. And Wizard of Oz is a movie I saw a hundred times growing up, but never quite like this.

Liar Lyre
Jun 3, 2011

Here to deliver
~Bad Opinions~

Egbert Souse posted:

They're both around $20 on Amazon right now. I don't think a lot of older films will benefit quite as much as these since they had optimal shooting conditions and the negatives survived mostly intact, but I'm already thinking about all the 3-strip Technicolor films with quality elements or existing restorations.

Stop tempting me! This is probably gonna be a tight shopping season for myself, so being able to squeeze an extra dollar for one more title will be ideal. But glad to hear they are worth it, gonna grab them at some point.

Alec Eiffel
Sep 7, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
What’s the best, most affordable 4K player?

Kvantum
Feb 5, 2006
Skee-entist

Alec Eiffel posted:

Xbox One S?

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Alec Eiffel posted:

Depends on if you care about Dolby Vision. The t.v. I bought was Dolby Vision compatible so I really didn't want to spend money on a 4k player and not have it be able to play Dolby Vision discs.

Right now the only player that I know of that does Dolby Vision is this one:

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/sony-streaming-4k-ultra-hd-hi-res-audio-wi-fi-built-in-blu-ray-player-black/6188345.p?skuId=6188345

But if you don't care about that, the cheapest player is gonna be like $50-$80 cheaper.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Basebf555 posted:

Depends on if you care about Dolby Vision. The t.v. I bought was Dolby Vision compatible so I really didn't want to spend money on a 4k player and not have it be able to play Dolby Vision discs.

Right now the only player that I know of that does Dolby Vision is this one:

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/sony-streaming-4k-ultra-hd-hi-res-audio-wi-fi-built-in-blu-ray-player-black/6188345.p?skuId=6188345

But if you don't care about that, the cheapest player is gonna be like $50-$80 cheaper.

That's what I'm using, even though my TV doesn't have Dolby Vision. It also has Dolby Atmos support, though I don't have an Atmos setup yet.

I'm kind of stuck with my Samsung 4K with just regular HDR since upgrading to a DV display means losing 3-D support.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
Tammy and the T-Rex flash sale part 2 is live now.

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord

Iron Crowned posted:

Tammy and the T-Rex flash sale part 2 is live now.

Thanks, I missed this the last time around

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived
Netflix has a great 3 part doc series on 5 influential American directors and ww2 (wyler, stevens, capra, ford and huston) called "five came back"..somehow missed that one when it aired a while back, figured this thread would appreciate the dive into those directors.

trdn89
Aug 16, 2008
Five Came Back was super good. It really moved through history effectively; I keep going back and rewatching it because it's just such a brisk, pleasant viewing experience. Plus it got me to watch The Best Years Of Our Lives, which is just a brutally devastating movie (and a heavyweight candidate for THE movie anyone interested in classical composition for the screen should watch).

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I asked Vin Syn about Tammy and the T-Rex and was told that the non-limited one will be released "Very late into 2020.".

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
I saw this in a store the other day and thought I was losing my mind.

https://twitter.com/FANGORIA/status/1187039511831896065?s=20

What year is it, 1989? Are there seriously still olds so traumatized by the word Satan that Walmart demanded a “censored” cover? The loving irony too.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Big Mean Jerk posted:

What year is it, 1989? Are there seriously still olds so traumatized by the word Satan that Walmart demanded a “censored” cover? The loving irony too.

Yes.

Alec Eiffel
Sep 7, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
We've regressed as a society from 1989, if anything.

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

Now I have no way of knowing what the movie with the huge-rear end pentagram on the cover is about.

mem
Sep 1, 2005
The Wizard of Oz remaster looks crazy good. I can't believe this movie is 80 years old.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

mem posted:

The Wizard of Oz remaster looks crazy good. I can't believe this movie is 80 years old.

The opening color scene in Munchkin Land is absolutely stunning. Probably the best, most impactful use of HDR we've seen yet.