Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

syntaxrigger posted:

Is that just hyberbole or can office chairs really smell like farts? I ask because I have no sense of smell.

idk if farts, specifically, are the concern

just generally office furniture is exposed to sweat and the gunge on your clothing and food and other things and cleaned infrequently

we joke about farts but i really don't want to re-use upholstery that's been on an office chair for 10 years, you know?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

lotta kink shaming going on itt

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Progressive JPEG posted:

lotta kink shaming going on itt

if you dig the odors and textures of 10 years of office usage i'm sure you can get a discount on an un-reupholstered chair

no kink shaming here, just discussing the market standards

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.
my steelcase was $45 total and i cleaned it with a vacuum and a soapy rag, and its fine :shrug:

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Raluek posted:

my steelcase was $45 total and i cleaned it with a vacuum and a soapy rag, and its fine :shrug:

i clean my chair with a rag on a stick

(just kidding; i don't clean)

DiggityDoink
Dec 9, 2007

prefect posted:

i clean my chair with a rag on a stick

(just kidding; i don't clean)

we know prefect, i can smell you from here

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

mystes posted:

If you had bought it two years later in 2000 it would have probably been $33 total. Also, having mostly worked in places that use Aeron chairs, IMO Ikea chairs are more comfortable than Aerons.

Aerons upset my sciatica, can't stand them.

syntaxrigger
Jul 7, 2011

Actually you owe me 6! But who's countin?

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

idk if farts, specifically, are the concern

just generally office furniture is exposed to sweat and the gunge on your clothing and food and other things and cleaned infrequently

we joke about farts but i really don't want to re-use upholstery that's been on an office chair for 10 years, you know?

That sounds pretty disgusting. I hate sitting in a chair where the arm rests are sticky because of all the dead skin :barf:

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

Ughhhh I'm going to be middle aged soon

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

TOOT BOOT posted:

that's like most people on this site at this point lol

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
not pram. he joined in 2001 or so when he was 16. what a badass

theadder
Dec 30, 2011

how old is lowtax

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)
my sciatica has been flaring up like a real son of a bitch the past few days. think it might be the weather changing. got the lumbar support turned way up on the driver seat in my mini van.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

theadder posted:

how old is lowtax

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

President Beep posted:

my sciatica has been flaring up like a real son of a bitch the past few days. think it might be the weather changing. got the lumbar support turned way up on the driver seat in my mini van.

can you get surgery to fix it?

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)

akadajet posted:

can you get surgery to fix it?

might have to someday. bulging disc in my back from way back in ‘99 when i was working as a mechanic. thing is, if i get it fixed i wont be able to complain about it anymore, and as an old person i love to complain.

theadder
Dec 30, 2011

i wish

DiggityDoink
Dec 9, 2007

President Beep posted:

might have to someday. bulging disc in my back from way back in 99 when i was working as a mechanic. thing is, if i get it fixed i wont be able to complain about it anymore, and as an old person i love to complain.

i had surgery about 10 years ago for 2 fractured discs. it was messing with my sciatic nerve so bad i couldn't walk or even sit without a shitload of percocets. as soon as i woke up from surgery it was like i was a new person.

i haven't taken a painkiller since then and i only occasionally get sciatica pain when the weather changes or i've been doing a lot of heavy lifting and even then it's barely noticeable.

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

c neck s: kept pulling different muscle a bit in new areas, after pulling one bad enough to need a day off a few weeks ago, but i turned to look at something on a boat today and the spot bothering me made a weird rubbery pop and its fine

syntaxrigger
Jul 7, 2011

TOOT BOOT posted:

What age range is middle aged? I have heard more than one opinion on this.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

syntaxrigger posted:

it's a state of mind

have you purchased anything and thought, "this will last until I die"?

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome

qirex posted:

In today's economy??

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice

syntaxrigger posted:

how long you gonna live?

my old man died at 65 so im already well into middle age

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

qirex posted:

it's a state of mind

if your response was "wtf no" then you're young.

if your response was yes, you're middle aged.

if your response was "nothing lasts that long any more, everything is cheap plastic crap made in china now," you're old.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

rotor posted:

if your response was "nothing lasts that long any more, everything is cheap plastic crap made in china now," you're old.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

I think I already posted about my le creuset in this thread but it owns

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.

qirex posted:

I think I already posted about my le creuset in this thread but it owns
the star wars one?

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.

syntaxrigger posted:

depends on country and the source of info imo

in canada, based on statscan data of population distribution it looks like 35-54 is a pretty safe range for middle-aged (31.1% of the population). you could argue that 45-64 is a more modern/practical take on it that better reflects lifestyle

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Uptime Sinclair posted:

the star wars one?

this is the old person thread, not the tryhard merch buyers thread I went for the round 5.25 quart in "sea salt." that said I know a disturbing number of people my age and even older who go to disney parks, like, without children on their vacation time using their own money.

it's baffling

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

qirex posted:

this is the old person thread, not the tryhard merch buyers thread I went for the round 5.25 quart in "sea salt." that said I know a disturbing number of people my age and even older who go to disney parks, like, without children on their vacation time using their own money.

it's baffling
theyre pedophiles, op

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

we took our (then only) son to disney world early last year and when we were at the daily morning show thingy at the castle there was this full grown woman dressed all up like some disney princess, standing right in the front row, gazing up at mickey just waiting to be noticed by cartoon senpai. her weird boyfriend/companion/whatever looked like the "it's tape" kid, only 30 years older. it was powerful.

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

yeah not all of them are pedophiles, some are just deeply disturbed.

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

imo middle aged is when you become jaded at life after realizing this is it from now on and midlife crisis is when you do some stupid yolo poo poo to make yourself feel young again or to recapture some ‘living’ you feel like you missed out on when you were young

syntaxrigger
Jul 7, 2011

rotor posted:

That makes sense. I always thought it was an actual number like 40+ or something i.e. "over the hill" but it makes sense being 'middle aged' is about as definable as generation "theory"

Uptime Sinclair posted:

depends on country and the source of info imo

in canada, based on statscan data of population distribution it looks like 35-54 is a pretty safe range for middle-aged (31.1% of the population). you could argue that 45-64 is a more modern/practical take on it that better reflects lifestyle

I appreciate this and it is roughly how I thought about it which is why I was curious if there was something somewhere I didn't know.

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

qirex posted:

it's a state of mind

my dad refuses to even look at cadillacs for a car option for that reason, he calls them 'death cars' because people buy them as their last car

Uptime Sinclair posted:

the star wars one?

mods change my name to Darth Vader Dutch Oven please its too long for me to do

rotor posted:

yeah not all of them are pedophiles, some are just deeply disturbed.

powerful burn of cory doctorow

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Agile Vector posted:

my dad refuses to even look at cadillacs for a car option for that reason, he calls them 'death cars' because people buy them as their last car
before gm killed the oldsmobile brand in the us their research showed median buyer age was over 70

pram
Jun 10, 2001

Agile Vector posted:

lol

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

syntaxrigger posted:

I appreciate this and it is roughly how I thought about it which is why I was curious if there was something somewhere I didn't know.
cool. glad i went out on a limb seriousposting itt

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

qirex posted:

before gm killed the oldsmobile brand in the us their research showed median buyer age was over 70

good lord thats an impressive segment to sell to

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

Agile Vector posted:

good lord thats an impressive segment to sell to
right there in the name