Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Im_Special
Jan 2, 2011

Look At This!!! WOW!
It's F*cking Nothing.
MS does the same, smartscreen, etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mystes
May 31, 2006

Im_Special posted:

Microsoft does this by using standard apis, not by breaking the kernel.

Less Fat Luke
May 23, 2003

Exciting Lemon

Im_Special posted:

Smartscreen is nothing like MITM phishing with generated certificates, it operates in a similar fashion to Google, Apple and Mozilla's malicious link databases in which a list of URLs is checked against client-side. And unlike most garbage home AV software smartscreen can be disabled.

Tenacious J
Nov 20, 2002

I can’t find an answer by searching and I was hoping one of you could help.

I’d like to setup a standard user account on my home PC that doesn’t have a password and gets automatically logged into when someone presses the power button. This is so that my Plex server will run and I don’t have to alternatively install some third-party thing that makes Plex a windows service.

I’d still like to keep my windows admin account behind a password. I imagine that the way I’d use the computer is that when it gets turned on it goes right into that standard account, but then I’d “switch users” to the admin account and be prompted for a password. Is this possible? Thank you.

mystes
May 31, 2006

You can just add a second non-administrator account without a password. You might have to use netplwiz to make it automatically log in on startup if that's what you want.

However you might be better off trying to use this thing to run Plex as a service: https://forums.plex.tv/t/pms-as-a-service/53381

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE
Unless something's changed in the last few years, Microsoft provides all their virus definitions to third party AVs so everyone should have the same baseline. Third party AVs usually add their own stuff on top of that to justify their existence, and the results of that tend to be hit or miss (like when you nuke a system file on their suggestion). Defender isn't going to win in absolute threats caught, but that's a race they openly acknowledged giving up on to focus on their role as a baseline antivirus that you can set and forget for Grandpa or whoever. And unless you're habitually engaging in risky behavior that should be sufficient without pop-ups trying to upsell you on premium services or nag you about updating your registration code.

I am curious about the false positives the link upthread reports, but I don't know the reputation of the site or their potential biases.

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

I honestly think the best feature of Defender is that on my notebook it'll stubbornly refuse to do its scheduled scans for literal months and then show the little yellow triangle complaining about how I should take action and perform a quick scan.
Maybe it's still sulking about me immediately turning off its ridiculous "we didn't find anything" notification.

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!
I believe it only runs scans when idle and plugged in, since most laptops are usually plugged in when charging and usually asleep or off, or being used since battery ran out it probably never gets a chance to run the scan

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

Celexi posted:

I believe it only runs scans when idle and plugged in, since most laptops are usually plugged in when charging and usually asleep or off, or being used since battery ran out it probably never gets a chance to run the scan

My notebook's battery is almost never plugged in, it's always running on AC. And I do leave it idle for extended periods of time, with it configured to only go to sleep after 3 hours while on AC. So I honestly don't know what more it would want.

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!

Geemer posted:

My notebook's battery is almost never plugged in, it's always running on AC. And I do leave it idle for extended periods of time, with it configured to only go to sleep after 3 hours while on AC. So I honestly don't know what more it would want.

That is weird then as my laptop is the one that happens so I thought that was the cause, there must be something else to it then. My desktop does run its scans without my interaction though.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Combat Pretzel posted:

So? What makes Microsoft's code so much better than a third party ones?

It's a core component of the operating system, instead of some random third party. What aren't you getting?

Combat Pretzel posted:

How valuable access to the Windows source code is, is rather dubious.

Perhaps if you've never used a computer before, you might say that.

Im_Special
Jan 2, 2011

Look At This!!! WOW!
It's F*cking Nothing.
A small snippet from the latest CU.
code:
• Updates an issue that prevents Microsoft Narrator from working in certain touch mode scenarios.
• Updates an issue that starts assistive technology (AT) (such as Microsoft Narrator, Magnifier, or NVDA) after signing in when you've configured it to start before signing in.
• Updates an issue that causes Magnifier to stop working in certain scenarios, and you have to restart it manually.
• Updates an issue that causes Microsoft Narrator to stop working in the middle of a session in certain scenarios.
• Updates an issue that might prevent a scroll bar from being selected.
• Updates an issue that allows a device to go to Sleep (S3) even if you configure the device to never sleep.
• Updates an issue that prevents you from shrinking a window in some cases.
• Updates an issue that prevents you from connecting to a virtual private network (VPN).
• Updates an issue that causes screen flickering or is slow to display the screen when you show application thumbnails on a monitor that has high dots per inch (DPI).
• Updates an issue that causes the tile for the Photos app to appear larger than expected in the Start menu under certain conditions.
• Updates an issue that causes the system to stop responding at the sign-in screen.
• Updates an issue that might cause a black screen to appear the first time you sign in after installing a feature or quality update.
• Updates an issue that causes the Start menu, the Cortana Search bar, Tray icons, or Microsoft Edge to stop responding in certain scenarios after installing a monthly update.
Look at all those core components of the operating system! Like I can see breaking "no-buddy gives a poo poo" Microsoft Edge, but how can you break something as basic as Start menu.
I never noticed, I use the superior Open-Shell.

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib
Meanwhile, lovely third-party AV breaks Windows on the regular. Or blocks updates for months. And often hooks into the system in non-standard was, making every Windows Update a tightrope walk.

All antivirus software is certain amounts of snake oil, but if you're going to be using a resident scanner, nothing but Defender makes sense - unless you like living on the edge and installing dubious products by dubious companies. Also, Microsoft pours way more resources into Windows security than AV shops, and certainly understands their system much better.

Just because some third-party programs for media playback are better than what Windows has built-in doesn't make AV one of those cases.

Lambert fucked around with this message at 07:52 on Oct 28, 2019

Sri.Theo
Apr 16, 2008
I’m more curious when the last time somebody could have reasonably recommended AVG was, especially on this forum.

2010?

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

Defender is the only antivirus Tavis Ormandy wasn't objectively horrified about, which is all you should need ever know to make your choice.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!

fishmech posted:

It's a core component of the operating system, instead of some random third party. What aren't you getting?
Why am I even discussing with fishmech?

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
windows defender is the least terrible AV by a fair margin.

it's not good by any stretch, it's just the only one not making your already pos os actively worse

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib
fishmac is ... right?

Truga posted:

windows defender is the least terrible AV by a fair margin.

Very much this.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Combat Pretzel posted:

Why am I even discussing with fishmech?

It is a very good question why you'd try to defend McAfee or Kaspersky or Norton in this day and age, yes.

Iron Lung
Jul 24, 2007
Life.Iron Lung. Death.
I just came to this thread to ask about is being argued about - is windows defender really the best AV software out there for a windows 10 machine? Any other security software folks would recommend? I've been out of the PC game for about 8 years and will be building a new one shortly running Windows 10.

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

Iron Lung posted:

I just came to this thread to ask about is being argued about - is windows defender really the best AV software out there for a windows 10 machine? Any other security software folks would recommend? I've been out of the PC game for about 8 years and will be building a new one shortly running Windows 10.
stick to windows defender, disregard any security advice from anyone saying otherwise

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib
Also, don't install any other "tuneup" or "cleanup"-type utilities; none of them are necessary. If you want to "clean up" your system, run Windows Disk Cleanup from time to time.

Enable network protection
https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/security/threat-protection/microsoft-defender-atp/enable-network-protection

and PUA protection
https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/wi...ender-antivirus

for added security (might lead to some false positives in rare cases, though).

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

fishmech posted:

It is a very good question why you'd try to defend McAfee or Kaspersky or Norton in this day and age, yes.
I don't know, Virustotal.com pretends there's more than these three. A lot more.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

They're about to finish and release 19H2, and now there's WindowsCentral claiming that 20H1 is right on its tail (because it's synced to the Azure dev cycle, because kernel) for end of December this year. That's sure fun.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Combat Pretzel posted:

I don't know, Virustotal.com pretends there's more than these three. A lot more.

And all of them are useless in this space year 2019.

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib
Wonder if they're still going to call it 2003 or if this means they're moving off the existing build months.

The upcoming release 1909 is more or less a service pack, enabling features already present in 1903. It's going to install the same way a Cumulative Update would, not the usual full installation upgrade.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
For lack of a better place to ask this question, does anyone know if Microsoft intends to get full x64 working on ARM, or are they just leaving it where it is?

Mr Shiny Pants
Nov 12, 2012

fishmech posted:

This isn't saying much, going off their track record.
Defender is handy, but anyone remember when it would just ingest any old data without validation? I would not pretend someone else could not write a better virus scanner.

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib
Should tell you something about the snake oil industry and the nature of these products that they can't.

Mr Shiny Pants
Nov 12, 2012

Lambert posted:

Should tell you something about the snake oil industry and the nature of these products that they can't.

I don't have the required experience with other virus scanners at home, but we used Nod32 at work. It was definitely better than Windows defender.

CatHorse
Jan 5, 2008

SwissArmyDruid posted:

For lack of a better place to ask this question, does anyone know if Microsoft intends to get full x64 working on ARM, or are they just leaving it where it is?

Probably not. At least not in the way they do x86. They are slowly bringing hyper-v to arm.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Tenacious J posted:

I can’t find an answer by searching and I was hoping one of you could help.

I’d like to setup a standard user account on my home PC that doesn’t have a password and gets automatically logged into when someone presses the power button. This is so that my Plex server will run and I don’t have to alternatively install some third-party thing that makes Plex a windows service.

I’d still like to keep my windows admin account behind a password. I imagine that the way I’d use the computer is that when it gets turned on it goes right into that standard account, but then I’d “switch users” to the admin account and be prompted for a password. Is this possible? Thank you.

You can use Task Scheduler to run Plex as a particular user on startup, you don't need it to actually log in and open the desktop

Dylan16807
May 12, 2010

Combat Pretzel posted:

They're about to finish and release 19H2, and now there's WindowsCentral claiming that 20H1 is right on its tail (because it's synced to the Azure dev cycle, because kernel) for end of December this year. That's sure fun.
Keep in mind that they demoted 19H2 to a more normal, non-reinstall update because of the focus on 20H1.

Edit: oh that got mentioned oops. Anyway I'm excited to get WSL2 sooner.

Dylan16807 fucked around with this message at 11:36 on Oct 29, 2019

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

Mr Shiny Pants posted:

I don't have the required experience with other virus scanners at home, but we used Nod32 at work. It was definitely better than Windows defender.
I warned it was the case, but since you decided to name a name, I'll share the objective horror that is your decision.
https://googleprojectzero.blogspot.com/2015/06/analysis-and-exploitation-of-eset.html

quote:

Attackers can cause I/O via Web Browsers, Email, IM, file sharing, network storage, USB, or hundreds of other vectors. Whenever a message, file, image or other data is received, it’s likely some untrusted data passes through the disk. Because it’s so easy for attackers to trigger emulation of untrusted code, it’s critically important that the emulator is robust and isolated.

Unfortunately, analysis of ESET emulation reveals that is not the case and it can be trivially compromised.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Dylan16807 posted:

Keep in mind that they demoted 19H2 to a more normal, non-reinstall update because of the focus on 20H1.

Edit: oh that got mentioned oops. Anyway I'm excited to get WSL2 sooner.
I'm hoping the GPU-P stuff would finally be made public. I'd like a permanent GPU accelerated "sandbox" to offload some problematic stuff to keep it from my main system.

--edit: Actually, now that I wanted to download an ISO to spin up in a VM, it's still on the fast ring only.

Combat Pretzel fucked around with this message at 16:37 on Oct 29, 2019

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

Mr Shiny Pants posted:

Better how?

mystes
May 31, 2006

Combat Pretzel posted:

I'm hoping the GPU-P stuff would finally be made public. I'd like a permanent GPU accelerated "sandbox" to offload some problematic stuff to keep it from my main system.
I doubt NVIDIA will allow it on consumer cards in the short term, but maybe competition or use of VMs for sandboxing will eventually lead to this.

Also maybe someone will figure out how to hack generic hyper-v vms to use the functionality from Sandbox.

mystes fucked around with this message at 16:44 on Oct 29, 2019

Eregos
Aug 17, 2006

A Reversal of Fortune, Perhaps?

Glenn Quebec posted:

I thought it was common knowledge that third party AV is practically adware now.

What is meant by adware? That third party AV harvests data from the user's system and monetizes it so other companies can use targeted ads, that the UI contains embedded ads, or just that they accomplish nothing except offering some adware extensions? Knowing SA probably people will say all of the above but I'm more wondering if any third party AV is known in particular for harvesting user data to give to advertisers. I've heard a lot more about browser extensions doing this than AV.

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4
Just install any AV and you'll see what I meant. Disingenuous installers, browsers etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

mystes posted:

I doubt NVIDIA will allow it on consumer cards in the short term, but maybe competition or use of VMs for sandboxing will eventually lead to this.
It already works in Sandbox. I just can't get the driver to load properly in a "regular" VM. There's Powershell Cmdlets, but without documentation.