Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Synthetic Hermit
Apr 4, 2012

mega survoltage!!!
Grimey Drawer
The place to be for all discussion related to GoldenEye 007, Perfect Dark...and I suppose Perfect Dark Zero too. :shudder:

(tweaked repost of my own Resetera OT | GE/PD screenshots are emulated)

--------------------------------------

Platform --- Nintendo 64
Format --- 96 megabit (12 megabyte) cartridge
Release dates --- Aug. 23rd, 1997 (Japan) / Aug. 25th, 1997 (North America) / Nov. 6th, 1997 (Europe) [Source: NinDB]

Initially in development for the SNES, then on the Nintendo 64 as an on-rails shooter, GoldenEye 007, in its final form as a free-moving first-person shooter, was a revelation. At the time, FPSes on consoles had seen muted success compared to their juggernaut PC brethren such as Doom and Quake. But not only did GE prove the genre could work beautifully with a controller, it showed it could provide more than just mindless blasting and rudimentary puzzles.

Fully-realized worlds that felt like you were in a movie. Objective lists that grew as you increased the difficulty. Mission-critical NPCs that needed to be protected. Cameras and alarms that had to be destroyed lest they summon a swarm of guards to your position. Varying reactions and amounts of damage depending on what part of an enemy you hit. And oodles of wild cheats unlockable by beating mission target times.

But as engaging and immersive as the missions were, the multiplayer was the real hit, and the reason GE became a system seller for the Nintendo 64. Added late in development by Steve Ellis, the four-player splitscreen utilized compact, easy-to-learn maps, quick movement, a huge roster of characters including classic Bond villains and Rareware staff members, addictive weapons like the Proximity Mines and Golden Gun, and a variety of gametypes in the event players needed a break from standard deathmatch. Moments like the Facility, Slappers Only, cheating with Oddjob, and tense duels in the cramped Archives have become engrained in the gamer consciousness.

The GE community continues to celebrate and dig into the game. Speedrunners have acheived insane feats such as beating every mission on max stats (and done the same in Perfect Dark!), and hackers have discovered things like a hidden test stage, a hidden ZX Spectrum emulator, and button codes to quickly unlock missions, cheats, and a hidden "Line Mode" effect. Most impressively, using the GoldenEye Setup Editor tool, modders have created a plethora of new maps and missions for the game, and even ported GE assets into the Perfect Dark engine!

Weapons

        PP7           PP7 (Silenced)      DD44 Dostovei          Klobb

     KF7 Soviet          ZMG 9MM        D5K Deutsche   D5K Deutsche (Silenced)

     Phantom             AR33             RC-P90             Shotgun

 Automatic Shotgun      Sniper Rifle       Cougar Magnum       Golden Gun

     Silver PP7          Gold PP7        Moonraker Laser    Grenade Launcher

  Rocket Launcher         Taser         Hunting Knife   Throwing Knife

  Unarmed (Slapper)        Watch Laser           Tank Gun

     Timed MIne          Proximity Mine        Remote Mine

      Grenade

Bonus screenshots

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FPnx2Xhz0gE

Resources

GE/PD speedrunning records at the-elite.net
GoldenEyeForever.com (featuring the Shooters Forever forums)
GoldenEye X (the PD engine port project)
Goldeneye Vault, your source for GE mods of all shapes and sizes. (archived; now part of N64 Vault)
GoldenEye: Decoded (excellent archive of development and promotional materials)
GE 20th anniversary panel
Retro Gamer team interview
Interview with GE's director, Martin Hollis (not to be confused with the director of the movie, Martin Campbell)
GE postmortem with Martin Hollis
A talk by GE dev team member David Doak
How to play GoldenEye online via Kaillera (help forum)
Player's Choice commercial
Japanese GoldenEye commercial
Pierce Brosnan plays GE multiplayer with Jimmy Fallon
21st anniversary article with studio photos and design documents
Promotional renders
Cancelled Xbox 360 port (original leak)
The soundtrack (composed by Graeme Norgate and Grant Kirkhope)

Synthetic Hermit fucked around with this message at 05:35 on May 22, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Synthetic Hermit
Apr 4, 2012

mega survoltage!!!
Grimey Drawer

Platform --- Nintendo 64
Format --- 256 megabit (32 megabyte) cartridge
Release dates --- May 22nd, 2000 (North America) / June 29th, 2000 (Europe) / October 21st, 2000 (Japan) [Source: NinDB]

Though offered the opportunity to develop a game based on the next Bond film, Tomorrow Never Dies, the team felt they had spent enough time in the Bond universe. Borrowing elements from sci-fi and pop culture such as La Femme Nikita, Blade Runner, The Fifth Element, Ghost in the Shell, The X-Files, Independence Day, The Matrix, and RoboCop, Perfect Dark (Japanese pre-release title Red and Black) expanded upon GoldenEye 007 by leaps and bounds in nearly every aspect, and pushed the Nintendo 64 hardware to its absolute limit.

The art style is a stunner, with its intense colours compared to the mostly grey GE, slick chrome surfaces, piercing light sources, and techno-industrial designs. The visual effects are also an absolute treat, such as the motion blur when stunned or poisoned, electronics shooting out sparks when damaged, gunfire and explosions strobe-lighting hallways, and the ability to shoot out light sources and dim the surroundings (an early concept for the game focused heavily on light and dark mechanics, though this was reduced to just a few setpieces because of hardware limitations). The characters have noticeably higher poly counts this time as well. It's no wonder the additional 4 megabytes of RAM provided by the Expansion Pak was required to access nearly everything aside from 2 player multiplayer.

A slew of new mechanics were added as well. Secondary functions on every weapon (each weapon also has its own cool reload animation). Disarming. Night vision. X-ray vision. Fly-by-wire rockets. And the CamSpy, a little drone that goes places too small or too dangerous for Joanna Dark (also available in explosive and tranquilizing variants).

So many great little bits of immersion too. Enemies dodging and rolling, their guns jamming, being able to shoot the guns from their hands and them pulling a backup on you, and shooting them in the leg and watching them drag it around with bits of blood dripping behind it. Not to mention being able to shoot ammo boxes around, snipers falling dramatically from their perches, certain actions persisting between levels (such as placing a mine for an escape route and dropping a vehicle from a plane), and of course, the Carrington Institute training area, with its firing range, detailed bios for every character, location, weapon, and device, and its surly/goofy/bathroom deprived employees. ^_^

But as spellbinding as the alien worlds, corporate intrigue, and hostage crises of the single player are, the multiplayer...flippin' heck, the multiplayer. You want the kitchen sink? How about the factory that makes 'em!!!

6 scenarios. 13 winding, sprawling, multi-storey maps along with 3 remastered GE maps. 33 weapons and 4 utilities assignable to any of 6 weapon spawns per map. Up to 8 "simulants" (for a total of 12 players on any map), a.k.a. bots, with adjustable difficulties and personalities, and able to accept commands from the team. Highlightable pickups, players, and teams. Single-digit time and score adjustment. 30 challenges. Detailed player statistics. Custom soundtrack playlist. Interchangeable character heads. And a plethora of control and HUD options. Not even the heaviest hitting modern AAA FPSes have been able to cram in this much flexibility.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9aGQoDrjqKY

PD's wow factor is off the charts. All of the above plus co-op, counter-op (play as the enemies during missions!), a kickin' sci-fi soundtrack (lead composer Grant Kirkhope), and incredibly creative weaponry including such favorites as the laptop sentry gun, dual wielding alien pistols with explosive bullets, the chaos-in-a-can N-Bomb, alliance-shifting Psychosis Gun, beyond spray-and-pray Reaper (with backup Grinder :P), and the weapon-of-all-time, the master of cheese (mmm...cheese), the big blue rod of inescapable doom, the FarSight XR-20!

      N-Bomb         Psychosis Gun

There is a drawback to pushing the envelope like this, though...the framerate. If lots of characters and/or explosions are on the screen, especially in multiplayer, it slows to a painful crawl. This, along with less mainstream appeal than Bond, a late release in the console's lifecycle, and Halo coming just 18 months after, made Perfect Dark struggle to attain much more than a strong cult following (it sold 2.5 million copies to GE's 8 million).

However, things began to look up in 2010 when, at long last, a port was released on Xbox 360. Early screenshots seemed to indicate it would be a pretty faithful port. Alas, not so much. While the cancelled GoldenEye 007 port was developed internally by Rare, the PD port was outsourced to 4J Studios, who felt some need to shred its magnificent art style. Every head got replaced, and the main characters were especially worse off for it. Sleek alien weapons grew mold. The gold DY357-LX turned orange. The sharp, silver edges of the MagSec 4 (based on RoboCop's Auto 9) got smoothed out and browned. And the sparks, explosions, muzzle flashes, and chrome surfaces all got muted. And also unlike the dearly departed GE port, no classic graphics mode.

The changes didn't stop with the graphics. At launch, there were no Legacy or Southpaw controls (which EVERY Halo has had), explosions were drastically shortened, and the laptop sentry gun had its ammo severely reduced. These were patched in (in the game's one and only patch), but the Legacy controls were poorly coded and broke the quick select menu and sniper zoom. And though it runs at a locked 60 FPS most of the time, the game stutters when passing through explosions - one thing from the original that SHOULD have been fixed.

That 60 FPS isn't all it's cracked up to be either - the animations feel much too snappy. The manual aim also isn't as smooth as the original, a strong echo that can't be turned off was added to all corridors, and several audio bugs (rapid footsteps, voiceovers not cutting off correctly, music channels dropping out) were added. The menus became a bit of a chore to navigate too.

At least the port's not a total dud. The gameplay is intact, the levels have been pretty faithfully uprezzed, and the 1080p/60 FPS is pretty swell. Online play and speedrun leaderboards have also been added, though the online is pretty barebones. No parties, weak playlists, no custom game browser (in THE game that would benefit the most from one), limited team options, and no cheats. The population dropped off rapidly, and you'd be hard pressed to blame the age of the game for that.

Resources

Trailer
Perfect Head mode (removed prior to release)
Perfect Dark Recon - a hub for all things PD
The Yamo's Lair (PD mysteries)
Classic Game Room reviews PD
The official making of video
Promo art + wallpapers
Regional/version differences
Martin Hollis discusses PD
Comprehensive 20th anniversary retrospective from the developers
In-depth 20th anniversary developer interviews from Eurogamer
More multiplayer footage
More screenshots
A zany yet informative (and woefully unfinished) Let's Play by Evil Tim (GoldenEye too!)

Synthetic Hermit fucked around with this message at 06:41 on Jan 31, 2021

Synthetic Hermit
Apr 4, 2012

mega survoltage!!!
Grimey Drawer

Platform --- Xbox 360
Format --- 6.8 gigabyte DVD (original release)
Release dates --- Nov. 18th, 2005 (North America) / Dec. 2nd, 2005 (Europe) / Dec. 10th, 2005 (Japan)

In development for the GameCube, original Xbox, and finally the Xbox 360 as a key launch title, Perfect Dark Zero is the prequel to Perfect Dark.

Now then, how do you go about following up one of the most acclaimed FPSes of all time as well as its spiritual sequel that cranked everything up to 11? Simply throw out everything and start from scratch, that's how!

PDZ feels nothing like either of the previous titles. The movement is slower. The weapons are mostly different. And the levels are big and mazelike to the degree that arrows show up on the ground if you spend too much time wandering around. A great sign of top-notch development, no?

The story didn't fare much better. The plot is bonkers, and Joanna's character went from a smooth, female James Bond to an ultra-hip teenager. Oh, and somehow she doesn't have a British accent anymore (all the voice acting is cringeworthy).

While the graphics are technically impressive at times, the art style manages to be both cartoony and dull, and loaded with bloom to boot. And the physics...hoo, boy. Eschewing the classic hand-crafted death animations for Havok ragdolling, dying characters move like they're bobbing around in a hot tub.

The soundtrack's also completely different. Composed by David Clynick, who scored the cutscenes and bonus missions in PD N64, the style has gone from ethereal and electrifying sci-fi synths to a more ordinary, upbeat funky sound. It's not bad, but it's nowhere near as catchy. If you want to hear how it SHOULD'VE sounded, check out this EPIC PD N64 credits remix by Grant Kirkhope!

The multiplayer fares somewhat better than the campaign, featuring up to 32 players online, but the weapons and maps are uninspired, and the gameplay is still slow. GE and PD were all about fast, arcadey action and impactful kills, but in PDZ, everything feels limp.

Overall, the game feels like a combination of development hell (adding insult to injury after all the platform jumps, the team only got proper development kits five months before release, and final stability certification was skipped to make the 360's launch), and adding stuff because it was flashy (like over-the-top vehicles, tacked-on tertiary weapon functions, and an utterly ridiculous roll maneuver) instead of good for the game.

Resources

Trailer
Screenshots
Concept art
Post-launch developer interview
Electronic Gaming Monthly's review
Post-Rare developer interview
Novels and comic books

Synthetic Hermit fucked around with this message at 08:49 on Oct 29, 2019

Synthetic Hermit
Apr 4, 2012

mega survoltage!!!
Grimey Drawer
SPEEDRUN FUN

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tfjZWOuQrIQ

MOD EDIT: I am removing the Rwhitegoose stuff because no matter the quality of the video, it is best not to link to their stuff and give them views/exposure.

Somebody fucked around with this message at 15:45 on Jan 9, 2020

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
If you're gonna play either of these in an emulator, use this fancy setup to get a constant 60fps and modern keyboard-and-mouse controls. Good stuff! Works with the N64 Vault hacks, too, as varying in quality as they can be.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mvCPzV6FE9s
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lDg3kyo_Q6E
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xoTE0ZHqcEI
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V-ohQEqvnP4

Synthetic Hermit
Apr 4, 2012

mega survoltage!!!
Grimey Drawer

The Kins posted:

If you're gonna play either of these in an emulator, use this fancy setup to get a constant 60fps and modern keyboard-and-mouse controls. Good stuff! Works with the N64 Vault hacks, too, as varying in quality as they can be.

A bit of 60 FPS PD footage from that emulator (@ 8:06):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vg3iaos2l1k&t=486s

If you're having problems with it, you can ask for help (and request features) over in this thread.

Big Bizness
Jun 19, 2019

Two of the best games ever made. I absolutely love the gameplay style, they feel like a console cousins of Deus Ex to me. The variance and increasing complexity of mission objectives should have been a genre staple.

The presentations are just ace too, really cool style present in both. And I love the cheeky English humor that slips through.

The music for the Control level in GE:
https://youtu.be/7Acv_QBdc1g
Listen to that funky poo poo! I love the James Brown break in the middle. Can we get music like this in a FPS again please? They don't make em like they used to.

Big Bizness
Jun 19, 2019

https://youtu.be/8rwJejNZeTQ

The Egypt level creeped me right out as a kid. As an adult I can still appreciate the atmosphere, but now I also notice how phat that beat is

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender
I got into the top ranking of a Nintendo Power contest where you had to speedrun a certain level in Goldeneye and send a picture to prove it. I was the top time in the non cheating category and even beat the best time in the cheating category. Another kid at middle school asked me if that was me in Nintendo Power that month. I felt like a gangster. I wish I could find that issue.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.
Love some Perfect Dark...maybe not the later levels, but everything up until you get to the Skedar Ruins, that's great. The Falcon 2 is one of my favorite video game firearms, even if it's just a chromed-out Glock. It just feels substantial for a starter weapon.

I revisted PD0 a while back via the Rare Replay collection and wow, I remembered it had its issues, but I didn't remember it being like that. There's some good stuff in there (the weapon models and reload animations are great; some neat multiplayer concepts like weapon size determining your loadout and the Counter-Strike style DarkOps mode with team budgeting) but it's hard to tell if the end result is a game being rushed to launch after being swapped between 3 different systems over 5 years, or if it was just a conceptual nightmare from day 1 that never quite gelled. Feels like they should've either gone whole-hog on making it a 3rd person action/stealth game or staying locked-in to the kind of FPS they were used to making.

Big Bizness posted:

The music for the Control level in GE:
https://youtu.be/7Acv_QBdc1g
Listen to that funky poo poo! I love the James Brown break in the middle. Can we get music like this in a FPS again please? They don't make em like they used to.

I always liked that when you use the elevator in that level the music changes to a cheesy adult contemporary take on the Bond theme. Also the scariest Goldeneye level is Surface 2; blood red sky, zero visibility and enemies that will swarm you from seemingly nowhere as soon as they hear a single shot.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

Node posted:

I got into the top ranking of a Nintendo Power contest where you had to speedrun a certain level in Goldeneye and send a picture to prove it. I was the top time in the non cheating category and even beat the best time in the cheating category. Another kid at middle school asked me if that was me in Nintendo Power that month. I felt like a gangster. I wish I could find that issue.

The internet archive has almost all copies of Nintendo Power available:

https://archive.org/details/NintendoPower1988-2004

Game came out August 1997, so that would be around issues 99-101.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender

seiferguy posted:

The internet archive has almost all copies of Nintendo Power available:

https://archive.org/details/NintendoPower1988-2004

Game came out August 1997, so that would be around issues 99-101.

Found it. I'm immortalized in Nintendo Power. Thanks.

White Genocide
Feb 22, 2010

i hated the freaking klobb

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

White Genocide posted:

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender

White Genocide posted:

I hate the loving klobb today just as much as I hated it way back then

gently caress that piece of poo poo gun

White Genocide
Feb 22, 2010

i can still remember the feeling of picking one up in multiplayer and just instantly knowing i will do no damage, then die from a friend who blows me up with a remote mine.

Synthetic Hermit
Apr 4, 2012

mega survoltage!!!
Grimey Drawer

JethroMcB posted:

I always liked that when you use the elevator in that level the music changes to a cheesy adult contemporary take on the Bond theme.

Greatest elevator music of all time by Robin Beanland (Killer Instinct, Jet Force Gemini, Conker's Bad Fur Day, Sea of Thieves):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G4gUkUVElBI
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aBSeowpxu3o

Node posted:

Back in the day, 1:25

Nowadays, 0:52

Synthetic Hermit fucked around with this message at 06:44 on Jan 31, 2021

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender

Synthetic Hermit posted:

Greatest elevator music of all time by Robin Beanland (Killer Instinct, Jet Force Gemini, Conker's Bad Fur Day, Sea of Thieves):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VF2TRqG1S8g
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V2-3lq1eBQA

Back in the day, 1:25

Nowadays, 0:52

Not too bad considering I was a dead gay teenager at the time.

Julius CSAR
Oct 3, 2007

by sebmojo
My brother told me he knew a dude in college who had played so many games of Goldeneye that he had memorized not just the spawn locations on each multiplayer map, but the order in which the spawns were used, so that if he killed you by the time you respawned he would be waiting for at the next spawn location to instantly dunk on you.

I didn't believe him until several years when I actually played a game of Goldeneye against this dude and it was absolutely true. Like, kind of incredible to behold.

Synthetic Hermit
Apr 4, 2012

mega survoltage!!!
Grimey Drawer

Julius CSAR posted:

My brother told me he knew a dude in college who had played so many games of Goldeneye that he had memorized not just the spawn locations on each multiplayer map, but the order in which the spawns were used, so that if he killed you by the time you respawned he would be waiting for at the next spawn location to instantly dunk on you.

I didn't believe him until several years when I actually played a game of Goldeneye against this dude and it was absolutely true. Like, kind of incredible to behold.

In a simlar vein, high-level Halo 1 players are able to influence the spawn system by standing in specific spots.

Synthetic Hermit
Apr 4, 2012

mega survoltage!!!
Grimey Drawer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sDX0XFP5ebk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hbr6dmsfXKk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FnFl1vt5gtE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dWoEh70gg-o

Olive Branch
May 26, 2010

There is no wealth like knowledge, no poverty like ignorance.

I've been playing XCOM 2 with the Perfect Dark soundtrack playing and it fits the aesthetic to a goddamn T.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

I now y'all are purists but goddamn does the OP and I disagree about the 360 port of Perfect Dark.

I get that some of the artistic choices weren't your cup of tea, but the original is basically unplayable on multiple fronts. The 360 controls really do a nice job of threading the needle between "not playing totally like a modern FPS" and "total old school dogshit". Plus online functionality and a host of other improvements.... yeah, I'm a happy camper.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Synthetic Hermit posted:

SPEEDRUN FUN

MOD EDIT: I got rid of the videos quoted here too.

hey hi please don't link to videos from actual literal nazis tia

and by that i mean rwhitegoose is on record seriously discussing how to solve the jewish question among many other terrible things, do not give this fuckin guy views ffs

Somebody fucked around with this message at 13:25 on Jan 10, 2020

Synthetic Hermit
Apr 4, 2012

mega survoltage!!!
Grimey Drawer

DEEP STATE PLOT posted:

hey hi please don't link to videos from actual literal nazis tia

and by that i mean rwhitegoose is on record seriously discussing how to solve the jewish question among many other terrible things, do not give this fuckin guy views ffs

Since you asked, I'll de-embed the videos and add a disclaimer. But IMO, the videos are too good to not share.

Call me soft, but as long as his filth isn't in them, I'm fine with continuing to consume them, as I do with content from fellow trash piles Jontron, Colin Moriarty, and Daniel Vávra. For me, adblocking YouTube is enough to clear my conscience.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

here's the thing: viewing their videos still benefits them as it counts towards engagement, resulting in youtube recommending those videos more readily to others. turning on adblock for them is not good enough, they still benefit from your clicks.

i don't necessarily want to completely derail this thread with this subject, but i mean, linking to videos from verified nazis is a gigantic fuckin yikes no matter how you attempt to justify or downplay it or what disclaimers you put in your posts. and unfortunately, pretty much everyone involved in the goldeneye speedrunning scene is a nazi aside from kevinddr (who by the way was harassed off the internet for a time by the other guy whose video you linked in the same post as goose).

Synthetic Hermit
Apr 4, 2012

mega survoltage!!!
Grimey Drawer

DEEP STATE PLOT posted:

and unfortunately, pretty much everyone involved in the goldeneye speedrunning scene is a nazi aside from kevinddr (who by the way was harassed off the internet for a time by the other guy whose video you linked in the same post as goose).

Karl Jobst is a speedrunning legend in every positive sense of the word, and unless he goes Full Goose, I'm not going to say anything untoward about him.

I know that it's not ideal to link to these guys, but I just find GE/PD speedrunning (and max stats running) too astounding to not promote.

Galaxander
Aug 12, 2009

mashing the c-buttons in Goldeneye to hilariously flail my arms around ftw

BaconCopter
Feb 13, 2008

:coolfish:

:coolfish:
The 360 arcade port of Perfect Dark is so drat stellar it's hard to put into words. Playing PD without awful nebulous autoaim feels so drat good at a stable 60 FPS.

Synthetic Hermit
Apr 4, 2012

mega survoltage!!!
Grimey Drawer
Here's something interesting. Apparently, Rare was seriously considering including the remaster of GoldenEye (which Nintendo apparently put the kibosh on in late 2007) in the 2015 Rare Replay collection, going so far as to start the production of bonus videos for it:

https://www.resetera.com/threads/was-goldeneye-007-meant-to-be-included-in-rare-replay.151852/

Download page for leaked videos:

https://archive.org/details/GEXBLA

Synthetic Hermit fucked around with this message at 05:28 on Nov 8, 2019

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
Who even has the James Bond (game) rights anymore?

ConanThe3rd fucked around with this message at 14:32 on Nov 8, 2019

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

ConanThe3rd posted:

Who even has the James Bond (game) rights anymore?

I don't think anybody does at the moment; last Bond game was 007 Legends by Activision in 2012 and they lost the license (and pulled their Bond games from digital distribution) shortly thereafter.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

Node posted:

Haha good work. A friend got in for a Wave Race 64 record, gonna try to dig that up.

Was it in Nintendo Power that Steve Wozniak had so many Tetris records they stopped letting him submit?

Synthetic Hermit
Apr 4, 2012

mega survoltage!!!
Grimey Drawer

Hyrax Attack! posted:

Was it in Nintendo Power that Steve Wozniak had so many Tetris records they stopped letting him submit?

Indeed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ogyWUENVmc

Synthetic Hermit
Apr 4, 2012

mega survoltage!!!
Grimey Drawer
Ars Technica reports on the video leak:

https://arstechnica.com/gaming/2019/11/leaked-goldeneye-007-documentary-suggests-it-nearly-launched-on-xbox-after-all/

Olive Branch
May 26, 2010

There is no wealth like knowledge, no poverty like ignorance.

I also got Nintendo Power repped by getting a high score in the N64 Rogue Squadron and shooting down a lot of enemies in the Death Star Run level. I got a bunch of stickers to slap on papers and letters!

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

Perfect Dark was super ambitious and for the most part succeeded, one flaw is the multiplayer wasn’t newbie friendly. Once you figured out moving and shooting in Goldeneye someone could have fun, but Perfect Dark had alternate fire modes, disarming, and too much going on, at least in my experience.

Getting shot through walls isn’t much fun for newbies, plus there was a glitch where if you died from poison you stayed poisoned when you respawned. The bot option was neat.

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

drat that's an awesome pair of OPs.

I don't have anything proper to say except Goldeneye whipped rear end and Detstar was my favourite place on the whole internet in the early 2000s.

e: oh my god why the gently caress is rwhitegoose a neonazi, what the gently caress

Pretty good fucked around with this message at 07:31 on Nov 12, 2019

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

The Big Word posted:

e: oh my god why the gently caress is rwhitegoose a neonazi, what the gently caress

everyone in the collective (the main goldeneye speedrunning communuty) is a horrible piece of poo poo, op, that's why

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

As Nero Danced
Sep 3, 2009

Alright, let's do this
I figure it's worth an honorary mention that The World Is Not Enough was a clone of Goldeneye and did a pretty good job. Single player has some variety in its missions and multiplayer has some great levels. Controls are the same as Goldeneye and PD but crouching is just c-down and c-up is a jump.

The only complaints I have about it is for some stupid reason it won't let two "good" characters play against each other in multiplayer so everyone more or less has to play as a bad guy, and it doesn't have as much variety with weapons as goldeneye did (and nothing holds a candle to perfect dark) but there's enough to have some fun with it.