Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

polyester concept posted:

the author of n-gate sure cares a lot about what a bunch of people he dislikes say on a website he also dislikes. enough to register a domain, read and summarize every week of posts in a sarcastic tone. its almost like he's as insufferable as the people he complains about.

yes that is the joke isn't it?

he cares enough to read hn, but then is invariably displeased by what he finds

just like us

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

the author of n-gate sure cares a lot about what a bunch of people he dislikes say on a website he also dislikes. enough to register a domain, read and summarize every week of posts in a sarcastic tone. its almost like he's as insufferable as the people he complains about.

ah yes, that grand effort of registering a domain which wasnt even initially meant to be about hacker news in particular.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

which one of your hn comments did he end up mocking

SRQ
Nov 9, 2009

he makes me laugh and that's actual journalism

also n-gate is down, gently caress

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

Jabor posted:

which one of your hn comments did he end up mocking

I only post on this garbage website

Uncle Enzo
Apr 28, 2008

I always wanted to be a Wizard

unlike me, a rational and detached person who paid 10$ to post on the internet

animist
Aug 28, 2018
everyone who posts on HN deserves to be mocked ruthlessly

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

animist posted:

everyone who posts deserves to be mocked ruthlessly

ftfy

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib
n-gate has tons of really dumb takes, it's quintessential HN.

Might as well read fishmac-gate.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

n-gate rules and anyone itt who equates it with hn proper should gb2hn themselves

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

i can't judge the absolute virtue of n-gate, but it is certainly a lot better than the last incarnation of this thread.

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

all takes are bad (ATAB)

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib

Captain Foo posted:

n-gate rules and anyone itt who equates it with hn proper should gb2hn themselves

Nah, n-gate is garbage.

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

n-gate is good if only because once in a while HNers find out about it and get flustered

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

To Escape The Shackles Of The Old Forums, We Must Reject The Tribal Negativity He Endorsed
the fact that n-gate's takes often aren't any better than the things it's making fun of is part of why it's fun to read

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Lambert posted:

Nah, n-gate is garbage.

MononcQc posted:

n-gate is good if only because once in a while HNers find out about it and get flustered

indeed!

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

Lambert not liking it is a sure sign of quality

animist
Aug 28, 2018
wait i wanna read some bad n-gate takes now

Flat Daddy
Dec 3, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
the old n-gate used to be about paula dean and michael richards

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe
n-gate thread: not really service a purpose since hn exists

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

n-gate is extremely consistent in using insulting yet unfunny pun names, the most egregious being "webshit" for "website"

that and hating rust are the author's only two sins

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

to be fair, yosposters do that poo poo all the time, cf “tooter” for twitter and similar

of course more than one thing in the world can be bad so 🤷‍♀️

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison
i like rust and 'rust evangelism strike force' is a good burn, lighten up a bit

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?
face it, “rust evangelism strike force” is a stroke of goddamn genius and you’re jealous you didn’t come up with it

(I’m willing to admit that I am)

animist
Aug 28, 2018

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

people suggesting everything should be rewritten in a hot new programming language that they don't know well enough to see the limits of is a phenomenon that long predates rust

maybe i just don't read enough hacker news comments to appreciate the joke :smuggo:

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Doc Hawkins posted:

people suggesting everything should be rewritten in a hot new programming language that they don't know well enough to see the limits of is a phenomenon that long predates rust

so you going to help with the elixir somethingawful rewrite or what?

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

remember that guy that was really into rewriting the forums using node.js? must have been about 10 years ago

Xik
Mar 10, 2011

Dinosaur Gum
anyone that suggests rewriting something in another language who isn't also intimiately familiar with the code base in question is someone you should never listen to

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

quotz 8 minutes ago [-]

Russia's oligarchs got their wealth by taking over previously state-owned companies using very shady tactics like bribes, extortion, violence, while the US businessmen generally created their own wealth by creating something new

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...
creatornator 22 hours ago [-]

Dependencies of your dependencies! Imagine installing a library that depends on a couple dozen libraries in its own right. You may not have time to inspect every single node in the dependency graph.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

JawnV6 posted:

creatornator 22 hours ago [-]

Dependencies of your dependencies! Imagine installing a library that depends on a couple dozen libraries in its own right. You may not have time to inspect every single node in the dependency graph.

this person programs exclusively in node

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?
yeah like I’ve been trying to bootstrap some modern quality-of-life stuff on Irix and the dependency trees for real software aren’t actually that wide

like curl with many optional features enabled might have on the order of one dozen dependencies

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

To Escape The Shackles Of The Old Forums, We Must Reject The Tribal Negativity He Endorsed
no it's just an unavoidable fact of life that every time you update a dependency it'll pull in more transitive dependencies than the previous version.

also writing code rather than using a small library with a million deps is impossible

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

eschaton posted:

yeah like I’ve been trying to bootstrap some modern quality-of-life stuff on Irix and the dependency trees for real software aren’t actually that wide

like curl with many optional features enabled might have on the order of one dozen dependencies

what are you using for a toolchain

still mipspro?

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

what are you using for a toolchain

still mipspro?

yeah it’s fine for C since nothing requires C11, only C99

for C++ though I tried the sgi.sh GCC 8.2 and couldn’t seem to build CMake with it

so I’m looking at what it’ll take to make clang+lld happen; it turns out that might actually be the easiest, if I can figure out what about the ELF files lld emits is crashing Irix’s runtime loader

then I’ll just need to add mips-sgi-elf-n64 as a recognized target tuple and everything should just work

suffix
Jul 27, 2013

Wheeee!
This problem has been solved for years, and yet no platforms implement it: K-Means Clustering
https://towardsdatascience.com/understanding-k-means-cluster...

The property "interesting" is an individual decision. A forum like HN could implement K-Means Clustering instead of having dang madly moderating stuff. Over time, those HN users interested in "technologically interesting stuff" would aggregate together, and generally only see posts that are "voted up" by others in their cluster.

animist
Aug 28, 2018
love too link towardsdatascience.com when positing how to solve a long-lasting social issue

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...
look i need all the tips i can get to ward data science off, heck id even do a charm or poultice

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

suffix posted:

This problem has been solved for years, and yet no platforms implement it: K-Means Clustering
https://towardsdatascience.com/understanding-k-means-cluster...

The property "interesting" is an individual decision. A forum like HN could implement K-Means Clustering instead of having dang madly moderating stuff. Over time, those HN users interested in "technologically interesting stuff" would aggregate together, and generally only see posts that are "voted up" by others in their cluster.

totally contrary to actual community-building though (which is something hn does do, just a bad community), the filter bubble crowd-of-one is the fungible commodity of online. got to have some stymies.