Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EVIL Gibson
Mar 23, 2001

Internet of Things is just someone else's computer that people can't help attaching cameras and door locks to!
:vapes:
Switchblade Switcharoo

Theophany posted:

It was alright before it became a parody of itself. They hit a purple patch a couple of years back when they did some cool feature-length build videos like the PC in a desk and a couple of way OTT water cooled builds, whereas if you look at their latest one for a Hackintosh, most of the video is Linus tearing apart a Power Mac G5 chassis like an enraged chimp.

you mean when linus replaced everyone's water cooling with thick algae ? cool cool

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
I used to watch a bit of Barneclesnerdgasm. loving guy is horribly overweight and throws money at anything to relive his eating distorder. Very sad.

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari
I unsubbed from Linus a while ago.... have they done anything yet with that bizarre purchase of all the precision engineering and milling and such equipment they bought? I'm still trying to figure out what the gently caress the point of that is. Who cares when the majority of your channel is based around other's products?

How many videos of "we built this Linus-shaped sheet metal case and stuffed [XYZ Off The Shellf Computer Part] into it! Let's play Doom (2016)!!" can we get?

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

You guys aren't going to believe this, but that guy is our games teacher.
They've done a bit with it, but not a lot. In fact, in their latest "crazy custom server" video they outsourced the manufacturing of the server case to a third party at four-figure expense.

EDIT: If you want to see industrial manufacturing equipment used properly in a crazy project, check out the Wintergaten channel. They're a band that had a viral video a few years ago with a complex machine that could play music. It, of course, only barely worked and the video was only possible through the magic of editing, but the video was so successful they've been trying to build a reliable version of the machine they can play in concerts for the past 2 years. Here's a playlist with all the (weekly) videos, and here is the latest one:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JgM2ruB8M34

Mr.Radar fucked around with this message at 18:03 on Oct 23, 2019

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

SUCCHIAMI IL MIO CAZZO DA DIETRO, RANA RAGAZZO

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

EVIL Gibson posted:

you mean when linus replaced everyone's water cooling with thick algae ? cool cool

I was thinking more along the lines of the rainbow unicorn rgb puke build and that warercooled build in that chassis that looks like a boiler, rather than that water cooled room which Luke's Dad, a plumber, said was the dumbest poo poo.

mewse
May 2, 2006

Wirth1000 posted:

I unsubbed from Linus a while ago.... have they done anything yet with that bizarre purchase of all the precision engineering and milling and such equipment they bought? I'm still trying to figure out what the gently caress the point of that is. Who cares when the majority of your channel is based around other's products?

How many videos of "we built this Linus-shaped sheet metal case and stuffed [XYZ Off The Shellf Computer Part] into it! Let's play Doom (2016)!!" can we get?

Alex seems to be their guy for doing custom machining and stuff but he seems like a hobbyist like you and me rather than a mechanical engineer who would actually know how to design physical widgets. Most recently they did an overpowered peltier rig that didn’t work

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Mr.Radar posted:

They've done a bit with it, but not a lot. In fact, in their latest "crazy custom server" video they outsourced the manufacturing of the server case to a third party at four-figure expense.

Like drat near everything else, they got it for free, it just would cost four figures normally.

I like GN as much as the next person but it's not the kind of thing you watch unless you're looking specifically for a review of the item in question.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

Theophany posted:

I was thinking more along the lines of the rainbow unicorn rgb puke build and that warercooled build in that chassis that looks like a boiler, rather than that water cooled room which Luke's Dad, a plumber, said was the dumbest poo poo.

Was that the one with sweating copper pipes everywhere?

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari

ItBreathes posted:

Like drat near everything else, they got it for free, it just would cost four figures normally.

I like GN as much as the next person but it's not the kind of thing you watch unless you're looking specifically for a review of the item in question.

GN did some pretty interesting stuff recently with that bizarro motherboard they found in the Chinese market along with the lovely triangular case.

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.

Wirth1000 posted:

GN did some pretty interesting stuff recently with that bizarro motherboard they found in the Chinese market along with the lovely triangular case.

I love when GN does random Chinese stuff. Might explain why I'm a big fan of Strange Parts too

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

GN would have more viewers if he didn't speak in monotone. I actually prefer just reading the GN website because I can find the information faster.

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari

Mu Zeta posted:

GN would have more viewers if he didn't speak in monotone. I actually prefer just reading the GN website because I can find the information faster.

That's the thing. He's monotone when he's very obviously just reading off the script/website article.

But when he's actually speaking off the top of his mind he's actually animated and isn't monotone. Like the start and end of any of the reviews it's just pure Steve then the entire middle chunk of the vid is a monotone drab reading.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC
My favorite LTT videos were them moving into their current place and building all the sets and stuff.

mewse
May 2, 2006

Yeah Steve has the flinty intellect, moral compass, and work ethic for a successful channel it’s just that someone needs to convince him to take broadcasting 101 and learn a radio voice, and then hold him down and cut his hair for him

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

priznat posted:

Was that the one with sweating copper pipes everywhere?

That and jury rigging a load of radiators together and putting them on the roof.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

mewse posted:

Yeah Steve has the flinty intellect, moral compass, and work ethic for a successful channel it’s just that someone needs to convince him to take broadcasting 101 and learn a radio voice, and then hold him down and cut his hair for him

I'll stop watching if he cuts his hair

Shut up Meg
Jan 8, 2019

You're safe here.
The fat guy from LTT seems to know his stuff and has a decent enough personality, but every single moment I watch him, I am genuinely worried he's going to die of a heart attack on camera.

It honestly distracts me from what he is doing: I keep waiting for him to wheeze his last.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC

mewse posted:

and then hold him down and cut his hair for him

gently caress no.

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari

Shut up Meg posted:

The fat guy from LTT seems to know his stuff and has a decent enough personality, but every single moment I watch him, I am genuinely worried he's going to die of a heart attack on camera.

It honestly distracts me from what he is doing: I keep waiting for him to wheeze his last.

That's Anthony and quite frankly he seems way out of place on LTT. He seems to do things properly and meticulously.

LTT is all about grabbing componetns like they're literally on fire throwing them around and not bothering to read any sort of manuals or instructions and completely wing it because ENTERTAINMENT and NO TIME.

There is nothiing more frustrating than watching a vid when you realize the person seems loss and clueless because the very idea of reading even some Quick Start guide is considered not part of their brand.

Actually, maybe that's why Anthony always gets a ton of praise in the comments and such whenever they do a bit with him. People actually start enjoying the content instead of getting frustrated at the high pitched voiced guy who NEVER STOPS YELLING BECAUSE THIS IS EFFECTIVE VOICEWORK IN FILMING RIGHT? getting confused cause he didn't want to read whatever before they started turning the cameras on.

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

Wirth1000 posted:

That's Anthony and quite frankly he seems way out of place on LTT. He seems to do things properly and meticulously.

LTT is all about grabbing componetns like they're literally on fire throwing them around and not bothering to read any sort of manuals or instructions and completely wing it because ENTERTAINMENT and NO TIME.

There is nothiing more frustrating than watching a vid when you realize the person seems loss and clueless because the very idea of reading even some Quick Start guide is considered not part of their brand.

Actually, maybe that's why Anthony always gets a ton of praise in the comments and such whenever they do a bit with him. People actually start enjoying the content instead of getting frustrated at the high pitched voiced guy who NEVER STOPS YELLING BECAUSE THIS IS EFFECTIVE VOICEWORK IN FILMING RIGHT? getting confused cause he didn't want to read whatever before they started turning the cameras on.

I love your Fat Anthony meltdowns.

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari

Theophany posted:

I love your Fat Anthony meltdowns.

Fat Anthony is actually really good. He just doesn't belong at LTT because LTT is a loving hack clown outfit.

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

Wirth1000 posted:

Fat Anthony is actually really good. He just doesn't belong at LTT because LTT is a loving hack clown outfit.

I'm not disagreeing that Fat Tony is in fact cool and good, but I do love when you get animated about him.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Watching Anthony give a breakdown on how to set up your own hackintosh was jarring as in depth technical details or even admitting the existence of a command line was the last thing I ever expected to see on LTT.

And, whatever you think of Linus, you can't deny that what he's doing is effective.

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari

ItBreathes posted:

Watching Anthony give a breakdown on how to set up your own hackintosh was jarring as in depth technical details or even admitting the existence of a command line was the last thing I ever expected to see on LTT.

It was even presented in a really refreshing and enjoyable way. Not at all in that GamersNexus way of "reading off a script" but Anthony was explaining it all right off the top of his head because it was and it showed. Also, he wasn't screaming and he has a nice speaking voice with just that touch of Canadianism which warms my poutine heart.

quote:

And, whatever you think of Linus, you can't deny that what he's doing is effective.

I think it worked BEFORE but the way people love it when Linus isn't hosting because he isn't doing the stupid bullshit Linus-y things says it all too.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot
RIP TechPowerUp

Nothing like doing an "expose" on other people who turn around and annihilate your reputation.

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari

K8.0 posted:

RIP TechPowerUp

Nothing like doing an "expose" on other people who turn around and annihilate your reputation.

lmao, I loving love Steve.

Was it that loving psycho Adored insinuating all of this I wonder?

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

You guys aren't going to believe this, but that guy is our games teacher.
Tom Scott goes off on those sponsored VPN spots and their misleading claims:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WVDQEoe6ZWY

Shut up Meg
Jan 8, 2019

You're safe here.

Mr.Radar posted:

Tom Scott goes off on those sponsored VPN spots and their misleading claims:

Kudos to him for walking away from a lot of money to keep his integrity.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

How is that guy's accent real. Why isn't he some BBC presenter talking about the history of Carthage.

Blorange
Jan 31, 2007

A wizard did it

Shut up Meg posted:

Kudos to him for walking away from a lot of money to keep his integrity.

I was under the impression that the NONAME VPN company was made up for the joke.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

LTT is pretty lame in a lot of regards but it’s entertaining and a decent friendship simulator for people. The fans seem to love when Anthony, Riley, Dennis, Luke or James show up. It’s partly about the technical details but mostly about watching the fellas do some full send water cooling poo poo.

Can’t believe that anyone was critical of GN Steve let alone his hair. Guy seems great and I applauded his clear disinterest in reading out webpages on camera.

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari

well why not posted:

The fans seem to love when Anthony, Riley, Dennis, Luke or James show up.

Yeah, exactly, and Linus has talked in the past about stepping aside into the background to just focus on the business aspects and he needs to hurry it the gently caress up.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

Lol that he named his company / channel after himself then. He’s a good guy but drat makes some odd choices.

You know what you tuber I can’t stand? Bitwit/Awesomesauce/Kyle. He’a easily got the least tech knowledge of the crowd, lacks video skills and does those painful skits. At least Paul doesn’t try to be entertaining and jayztwocents is incredibly skilled at builds. Kyle just has vlogs with his wife and terrible characters. I don’t get the appeal.

well why not fucked around with this message at 03:13 on Oct 30, 2019

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

He makes fun of The verge and that gets him hero points I guess. His asian accent thing is incredibly annoying.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

well why not posted:

Lol that he named his company / channel after himself then. He’s a good guy but drat makes some odd choices.

You know what you tuber I can’t stand? Bitwit/Awesomesauce/Kyle. He’a easily got the least tech knowledge of the crowd, lacks video skills and does those painful skits. At least Paul doesn’t try to be entertaining and jayztwocents is incredibly skilled at builds. Kyle just has vlogs with his wife and terrible characters. I don’t get the appeal.

Agreed. I guess he’s very slightly Asian but his Asian stereotype character really is a bit much. But the comments are all “he is actually Asian so it’s alright”

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

Pretty sure he’s 1/2 Japanese and the character “Lyle” (JFC) is explicitly a Chinese man

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

well why not posted:

Pretty sure he’s 1/2 Japanese and the character “Lyle” (JFC) is explicitly a Chinese man

I think he's Korean, actually.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

he could be full blooded Chinese going back to 40k BC and that impression would still feel dreadful

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
Speaking of problematic tech youtubers werent the level 1 tech guys chuds or misogynists or something?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
Wendell and co? Don't they have a female co-host?