Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

Fancy new suit :toot:. I'm gonna miss that big goofy neon lightning symbol.

Jen had a fantastic episode. Giving Anissa the dad speech(which worked too haha), her tour of the school and she finally got to do something with her powers.

:hmmyes:

Yeah, this episode really felt like things were finally happening compared to two eps of Jeff and Lynn stuck in a white box, Anissa wandering around aimlessly and Jen being told to sit down and don't do anything by literally everyone around her.

Also more Tobias in this episode than the previous two. And more Tobias always makes any given Black Lightning episode infinitely better than less Tobias.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Groke
Jul 27, 2007
New Adventures In Mom Strength

nine-gear crow posted:

Also more Tobias in this episode than the previous two. And more Tobias always makes any given Black Lightning episode infinitely better than less Tobias.

Yessss.

A show like this one needs not only good sympathetic characters but also high-quality villains, and Tobias Whale was always cool to watch.

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer
Old-rear end Tobias is almost scarier and more unnerving than age-defying Tobias.

That new Lightning suit coming out of the watch was cool as hell.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
Dammit, Jeff, it was a neat costume and all, but why are you not tossing that loving watch the second you get out the door? That drat thing is bugged to hell and you know that eventually Odell is gonna pull some bullshit like making his costume freeze mid-fight to teach him a lesson or something.

nine-gear crow posted:

Man they are really leaning hard into “magically appearing nano-tech supersuits” across the Arrowverse this year.

I know right? Too bad Arrow's ending, I would've loved to see what magical bullshit they'd have to get a hood and a full quiver of arrows every suit up moment. Maybe all of Team Arrow could get nano-costumes and we'd get to see a magic hockey mask materialize on Wild Dog :v:

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

TwoPair posted:

Dammit, Jeff, it was a neat costume and all, but why are you not tossing that loving watch the second you get out the door? That drat thing is bugged to hell and you know that eventually Odell is gonna pull some bullshit like making his costume freeze mid-fight to teach him a lesson or something.

"Odell is getting in your head letting you work on the research. He's giving you what you want but on his terms, it's psychological! Fortunately I am immune to that."

bentacos
Oct 9, 2012
I'm assuming he's going to immediately let Gambi tinker with it.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Gambi will immediately install RGB neon lighting.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

bentacos posted:

That's what I'm figuring as well, but remember Gambi's still supposed to be dead, so when Jeff takes it there, it's gonna blow his cover, since that thing has to have a tracker built in.

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider
I liked the original suit better, but that one didn't come out of a watch. The new googles are better.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

bentacos posted:

TwoPair posted:

That's what I'm figuring as well, but remember Gambi's still supposed to be dead, so when Jeff takes it there, it's gonna blow his cover, since that thing has to have a tracker built in.

It's gonna get tossed down a hill, land in a bucket, float down a river and be caught by homeless man fishing under a bridge who'll dissappear into the sewers and reappear 17 miles away in another workshop.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Nice to see the kid who played Coogi from the Chi getting more work.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
Oh poo poo, Lynn, this seems like a really bad and dumb idea :ohdear:

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Yes Lynn, taking brain drugs will work out just fine for you with no repercussions whatsoever.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
Oh gently caress Wormy White Privilege Principal is back :barf:

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
Jennifer going pro-Government tankie is an interesting twist but it makes sense as she's the most trusting of the family in a sense. She not used to peeking behind bullshit like the rest of the family so Odell is slowly pulling her to his side.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

I still say the Markovians are a false flag.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Xelkelvos posted:

Jennifer going pro-Government tankie is an interesting twist but it makes sense as she's the most trusting of the family in a sense. She not used to peeking behind bullshit like the rest of the family so Odell is slowly pulling her to his side.

Oh yeah, Odell is gaslighting her like crazy.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

howe_sam posted:

I still say the Markovians are a false flag.

Nah, they're real. Any time they talk about Markovia, assume they mean a country like Russia since, it's meant to be an Eastern European dictatorship of sorts.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
Jesus I can’t wait to see Odell go down hard for all this bullshit.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Xelkelvos posted:

Nah, they're real. Any time they talk about Markovia, assume they mean a country like Russia since, it's meant to be an Eastern European dictatorship of sorts.

Sure, but do they really feel like the big threat this season? They're so invisible narratively that if we hadn't seen a few Markovians you could just as easily claim Odell is making the whole thing up.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

nine-gear crow posted:

Oh yeah, Odell is gaslighting her like crazy.

And he's drugging Lynn. He's doing full divide and conquer on the Pierce family, as much as he feasibly can with what leverage he has.

Jennifer: Her naivete (though if she finds out about Painkiller, she'll 100% flip)
Jefferson: His family
Lynn: Her drive to help people and he's got her hooked on drugs as an extra leash

Odell doesn't have anything on Anissa as far as we've seen, but I imagine he's at least somewhat aware of her actions and just needs time to find the moment to pull the trigger.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

howe_sam posted:

Sure, but do they really feel like the big threat this season? They're so invisible narratively that if we hadn't seen a few Markovians you could just as easily claim Odell is making the whole thing up.

They're definitely a threat, but they're not the main villain of the season. That Odell seems like he could be making the whole thing up is more a testament of how locked down everything is and how deceitful he's been shown to be.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

howe_sam posted:

Yeah, we’ve seen exactly one group of like 50 dudes, all of whom were taken out by Jeff in a single raid. Every other action has been taken by Odell for the purposes of scooping up metas and keeping Freeland on lockdown. And what, exactly, was the main goals of the ASA back in season 1 that Gambi was so worried about? :thunk:

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Oh Lynn, that is a wacky conclusion to reach.

Agent Odell continues to be amazing.

howe_sam posted:

I'm going with that the Markovians were real and that they were taken out in the first few episodes when Jeff and Jen did their raids. Odell just keeps the illusion of them around because it lets him manipulate the Pierce family more easily.

Xelkelvos posted:

And he's drugging Lynn. He's doing full divide and conquer on the Pierce family, as much as he feasibly can with what leverage he has.

Jennifer: Her naivete (though if she finds out about Painkiller, she'll 100% flip)
Jefferson: His family
Lynn: Her drive to help people and he's got her hooked on drugs as an extra leash

Odell doesn't have anything on Anissa as far as we've seen, but I imagine he's at least somewhat aware of her actions and just needs time to find the moment to pull the trigger.

He can use Grace as his in for Anissa. Dangle the promise of some help or to get her a cure.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK fucked around with this message at 04:07 on Oct 29, 2019

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

He can use Grace as his in for Anissa. Dangle the promise of some help or to get her a cure.

That was my thought too. Her return seems so random that I'm just waiting for the other shoe to drop on it and the string leading back to Odell to be revealed.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Xelkelvos posted:

It's explicitly a small country though, which makes their apparent ability to operate with impunity within America utterly absurd. How do they have the resources or clout to get away with anything?

Absolutely nothing in this season is working for me so far. What is Odell even trying to do? How is the rest of the country reacting to what's going on here? We know people and information are getting out. Why is Odell going out of his way to manipulate the Pierces? Why are they so essential to him?

bentacos
Oct 9, 2012
Watch Odell end up being like the Monitor or something stupid.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Tiggum posted:

It's explicitly a small country though, which makes their apparent ability to operate with impunity within America utterly absurd. How do they have the resources or clout to get away with anything?

Absolutely nothing in this season is working for me so far. What is Odell even trying to do? How is the rest of the country reacting to what's going on here? We know people and information are getting out. Why is Odell going out of his way to manipulate the Pierces? Why are they so essential to him?

I'm assuming that Markovia is like NK where everyone is pretty poor and it's a poo poo place but they are focusing all their resources in one project which is getting nukes metas. Or maybe they are mineral rich or something.

Odell is probably trying to do exactly what the Markovians are, ie learn how to make and weaponize metas, but he's just going about it in a smarter way since he needs Lynn for her expertise and the rest of the Pierce family for their unique physiology. It would be pretty funny if his endgame was actually trying to help the metas but he's just kind of a dick so he's doing it this way. :v:

The rest of the country is probably indifferent at best because poor black people. :911:

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
I feel like the fallout from the occupation is gonna be the set up for the next season. ASA's media blackout is broken either from the ASA pulling out or because someone broke word into the internet and it went viral. Now every media org wants in to get the scoop, criminals want in to try and get a piece of the action (as Tobias and the 100 isn't in a position to keep them out), business wasn't too see if they can leverage the meta population, and regular people want in to see the side show. National attention is on Freeland, but the people are treated more like exhibits than humans.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer
I guess now the question is if the meta plague was even a thing Lynn fixed or if all that was engineered by Odell too.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

TwoPair posted:

I guess now the question is if the meta plague was even a thing Lynn fixed or if all that was engineered by Odell too.

It really does feel like they’re pulling a Diaz with Odell but doing it right this time because instead of telling you how he’s ten steps ahead of everyone else and manipulating them to his own ends because he’s already won, they’re just showing it after he has in fact already won. And it’s so much stronger.

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004

nine-gear crow posted:

Oh gently caress Wormy White Privilege Principal is back :barf:

I hated him at first because his ideology is so widely used by poo poo people but he seems to be pretty earnest, and taking a rifle to the face in defense of an innocent black student went a long way towards making him an interesting character with discussable nuance instead of the straight white male shitheel he was initially presented as.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

nine-gear crow posted:

It really does feel like they’re pulling a Diaz with Odell but doing it right this time because instead of telling you how he’s ten steps ahead of everyone else and manipulating them to his own ends because he’s already won, they’re just showing it after he has in fact already won. And it’s so much stronger.

Black Lightning is just the better CW show. The only thing is doesn't do better is wacky hijinks.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

So what's the consensus on Black Lightning has a whole? I watched the first few episodes and really liked it... and then got too busy to keep with it.

I gave up on The Flash ages ago, and I peaced out of Arrow after their admittedly great fifth season. Also I watch Legends, because you're goddamn right I do.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Narcissus1916 posted:

So what's the consensus on Black Lightning has a whole? I watched the first few episodes and really liked it... and then got too busy to keep with it.

I gave up on The Flash ages ago, and I peaced out of Arrow after their admittedly great fifth season. Also I watch Legends, because you're goddamn right I do.

Black Lightning is very good and you should watch it yes.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Narcissus1916 posted:

This season's been a little shaky by completely upheaving the status quo, but yes it's very good.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
Man, Khalil's so evil this year, but he's also really loving funny too. God it's so creepy.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Hell yeah Henderson.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

howe_sam posted:

Hell yeah Henderson.

When he arrested Rev Holt I just knew he was probably putting together some kind of resistance and lo and behold. :hellyeah:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Every episode is better with Tobias! And Tobias is right, Lynn has some fire in her.

Agent Odell turning a potential setback with Jennifer into a win. God he's fantastic.