Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NienNunb
Feb 15, 2012

T3hRen3gade posted:

Which Halloween 2? If it's the Zombie one then no way, Director's Cut is the only one worth watching. If it's the original 2 then sure, I guess? I wouldn't want to watch a TV edit of anything personally, but you do you.

Zombie Halloween 2 is the only one that matters.

Idk maybe the new David Gordon Green Halloween 2 that'll be coming out will be good, I liked the first one a lot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

NienNunb posted:

Idk maybe the new David Gordon Green Halloween 2 that'll be coming out will be good, I liked the first one a lot.

Personally I think the only real way to see the proper version of Halloween 2 is the director's cut, and I doubt that t.v. edit is the director's cut.

OpenSourceBurger
Sep 25, 2019
Hills Have Eyes 2 would have been a funny stupid horror movie had they removed the obsession with rape it has.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

feedmyleg posted:

Where the heck did you find it? It seems to only be available on DVD.

I don't think it's on any streaming services, unless someone else happens to know of one (Shudder, perhaps?)

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

OpenSourceBurger posted:

Hills Have Eyes 2 would have been a funny stupid horror movie had they removed the obsession with rape it has.

Remove all the rape, and make the troops better at fighting the mutants instead of just getting effortlessly picked off one by one because they keep doing dumb poo poo. Those two changed and The Hills Have Eyes would be a much better, completely different movie

OpenSourceBurger
Sep 25, 2019
Like this is a movie where a dude who looks like Ben Stiller in Tropic Thunder gets his arm cut off and waved to with it but then you get these brutal unneeded and loving awful rape and sexual depravity scenes that are so out of tone with the rest of the movie.

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

NienNunb posted:

Technically Halloween 2018 was Halloween 2, meaning the new ones will be Halloween 3 and 4.

For what it’s worth, I liked Halloween 2018 a lot too - though 90% of that might be the score, which is so loving good.

I’d rank the Michael Myers movies this way

Halloween (1978)
Halloween (2018)
Halloween 2 (Rob Zombie)
Halloween 2 (1981)
Halloween (Rob Zombie)
Halloween 4
Halloween: H20
Halloween 5
Halloween 6
Halloween: Resurrection

There’s like a 90% chance I posted this list earlier in the thread with H20 ranked higher but I recently rewatched that and didn’t like it nearly as much as I remembered.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Blast Fantasto posted:

There’s like a 90% chance I posted this list earlier in the thread with H20 ranked higher but I recently rewatched that and didn’t like it nearly as much as I remembered.

Yea my personal list would actually be identical to yours with just H20 moved down even further. Really haven't enjoyed it the past few times around.

I'd move the new movie down a few slots as well, actually. I think Zombie's Halloween 2 is better.

T3hRen3gade
Jun 7, 2007

Look in my eye,
what do you see?
Yeah that's a pretty accurate list. All this Halloween 2 (2009) talk makes me want to watch the unrated version again, because I haven't done that in ages. Rob Zombie marches to the beat of his own human skin-covered drum and I loved both of his remakes, screw the haters. :colbert:

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
I haven’t watched Halloween 2018 since the Thursday it came out - I’m sort of afraid to because I had such a great time at the theater and I’ve listened to the score so much.

Looking back, I know there are things I sort of didn’t like that will probably be more apparent on a rewatch (like all the stuff with the “New Loomis”, except for Michael crushing his fuckin head which was awesome). But man was that a perfect theater experience, probably the best I’ve ever had with a packed house for a horror movie. No stupid “I’M NOT SCARED BRO” teenagers talking, no one on the phone, people reacting audibly in the right way. Just a great time.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Blast Fantasto posted:

I haven’t watched Halloween 2018 since the Thursday it came out - I’m sort of afraid to because so had such a great time at the theater and I’ve listened to the score so much.

Looking back, I know there are things I sort of didn’t like that will probably be more apparent on a rewatch (like all the stuff with the “New Loomis”, except for Michael crushing his fuckin head which was awesome). But man was that a perfect theater experience, probably the best I’ve ever had with a packed house for a horror movie. No stupid “I’M NOT SCARED BRO” teenagers talking, no one on the phone, people reacting audibly in the right way. Just a great time.

Yea I enjoyed everything involving Laurie and her family and Michael stalking around the neighborhood, but anything with the New Loomis or the two researchers was just blah for me.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I'm saving '18 for the 31st but my ranking probably looks the same but with it going 6 > H20 > Resurrection. But those 3 are all kind of relative and I probably give 6 a pass because it got hacked up so badly and I've created this idea in my head that the Producer's Cut at least TRIES to be a Halloween film unlike H20/Resurrection.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

STAC Goat posted:

I'm saving '18 for the 31st but my ranking probably looks the same but with it going 6 > H20 > Resurrection. But those 3 are all kind of relative and I probably give 6 a pass because it got hacked up so badly and I've created this idea in my head that the Producer's Cut at least TRIES to be a Halloween film unlike H20/Resurrection.
I watched the Producer’s Cut of 6 last weekend and sort of? The Michael parts are incredibly uninspired and there’s the cult thing going on that isn’t interesting in the slightest. The ending is also pretty moronic (Loomis gets cursed and becomes the head of the cult)

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

T3hRen3gade posted:

Which Halloween 2? If it's the Zombie one then no way, Director's Cut is the only one worth watching. If it's the original 2 then sure, I guess? I wouldn't want to watch a TV edit of anything personally, but you do you.

The tv cut of The original Halloween had a ton of new footage added because they were trying to hype up the release of Halloween 2 and added scenes to the first to help bridge the continuity (Laurie’s relationship to Michael is established in the tv edit so it doesn’t come out of nowhere in the sequel).

Matt from Dinosaur Dracula did a write-up on it recently.

https://dinosaurdracula.com/blog/halloween-tv-premiere-1981/

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I

ruddiger posted:

Love this guy. If I saw an X-E page these days it’d probably send me on the type of nostalgia trip the article was about.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Holy poo poo. X-E! That's a blast from the past.

david_a posted:

I watched the Producer’s Cut of 6 last weekend and sort of? The Michael parts are incredibly uninspired and there’s the cult thing going on that isn’t interesting in the slightest. The ending is also pretty moronic (Loomis gets cursed and becomes the head of the cult)

The cult stuff is stupid but like on some level I kind of appreciate that the Producer's Cut at least follows through on it vs the theatrical version that just makes you sit through the cult stuff in the first two acts and then kind of brushes it off in the last act. At least it means the original guys had a real vision for the movie, even if it was a dumb one.

Plus the impression I get is there's just lots of Carpenter sound cues, lingering shots, and some better story exposition. Plus Jamie gets a LITTLE more dignity, it seems. I've never seen it but at least in my head I've just created this idea that Akkad and Co were trying to make a Halloween movie and it got hacked up. Even if their version was probably bad too.

Its at least a better narrative for me than "Kevin Williamson wrote another slasher and threw Micheal and Laurie into it."

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

ruddiger posted:

The tv cut of The original Halloween had a ton of new footage added because they were trying to hype up the release of Halloween 2 and added scenes to the first to help bridge the continuity (Laurie’s relationship to Michael is established in the tv edit so it doesn’t come out of nowhere in the sequel).

Huh, I definitely know I've seen the TV version, on TV before, because there are some scenes I remember but just couldn't place.

Gaz2k21
Sep 1, 2006

MEGALA---WHO??!!??
You guys know the Are you afraid of the dark reboot has aired right? It’s a fun little show with some very on the nose horror references, I enjoyed it immensely.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Gaz2k21 posted:

You guys know the Are you afraid of the dark reboot has aired right? It’s a fun little show with some very on the nose horror references, I enjoyed it immensely.

Really? Gonna have to VOD it, thanks for the heads up.

T3hRen3gade
Jun 7, 2007

Look in my eye,
what do you see?

ruddiger posted:

I only recently heard about this, I think they talked about it on the In Myers We Trust podcast (which is fantastic by the way, anyone who loves these movies should check it out) but I don't recall the scenes they mentioned even though I know I've watched Halloween more than once on TV. I guess it only matters if you intend to watch the original Halloween II immediately afterward, but still that's kind of cool. I would say this is the exception to the rule, and only if you're interested in seeing them try to desperately tie the Michael/Laurie relationship together after the fact. I still stand by what I said though, in this day and age there really isn't a reason to watch old "edited for TV" versions of anything when you can easily pop in a Blu-ray or stream it online, and usually for free. Unless you're just really into funny watered-down overdubs of bad words (the original Predator was hilarious when toned down for TV) but otherwise no thanks.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

Just checking in to say that hospital scene in Exorcist III is so loving good. I knew what was coming and I was still completely on edge.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

STAC Goat posted:

Holy poo poo. X-E! That's a blast from the past.

The cult stuff is stupid but like on some level I kind of appreciate that the Producer's Cut at least follows through on it vs the theatrical version that just makes you sit through the cult stuff in the first two acts and then kind of brushes it off in the last act. At least it means the original guys had a real vision for the movie, even if it was a dumb one.

Plus the impression I get is there's just lots of Carpenter sound cues, lingering shots, and some better story exposition. Plus Jamie gets a LITTLE more dignity, it seems. I've never seen it but at least in my head I've just created this idea that Akkad and Co were trying to make a Halloween movie and it got hacked up. Even if their version was probably bad too.

Its at least a better narrative for me than "Kevin Williamson wrote another slasher and threw Micheal and Laurie into it."

I remember X-E but I thought it was a bit depressing because he always seemed on the border of complete financial destitution

The hilarious thing about H6 is that apparently the writers of 4 & 5 couldn’t coherently explain where they were going so the writer for 6 had to make something up that fit. I also don’t know that I would say Jamie gets “dignified” treatment in the Producer’s Cut since she unceremoniously gets shot in the head while in a coma after surviving Michael’s attack.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

I used to read X-E and WhateverDude all the time in my early net days. It’s awesome seeing Matt still at it.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

david_a posted:

I remember X-E but I thought it was a bit depressing because he always seemed on the border of complete financial destitution

The hilarious thing about H6 is that apparently the writers of 4 & 5 couldn’t coherently explain where they were going so the writer for 6 had to make something up that fit. I also don’t know that I would say Jamie gets “dignified” treatment in the Producer’s Cut since she unceremoniously gets shot in the head while in a coma after surviving Michael’s attack.

Well I said "a little." Its a low bar for the little girl that gets kidnapped, held hostage for a decade, raped by her uncle, and then killed in the opening scene.

And, you know, recast because of what was probably a very small amount of money.

Debbie Does Dagon
Jul 8, 2005

weekly font posted:

Just checking in to say that hospital scene in Exorcist III is so loving good. I knew what was coming and I was still completely on edge.

The head scissor scene? My favourite part of that movie will always be Brad Dourif's "Don't you know you're in the presence of an artist!" speech

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

weekly font posted:

I cannot emphasize enough how insanely good this movie is at being tense.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

the book its based on called legion is fantastic too one of my all time fav books

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Kvlt! posted:

the book its based on called legion is fantastic too one of my all time fav books

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
I’m glad that the three great misunderstood horror sequels (Halloween 3, Exorcist 3, Psycho 2) have all been revisited culturally and are now rightly understood to be Good, Actually

Edit: Halloween 3 has a lower IMDB rating than Halloween 5 and H20 and the same rating as Halloween 6. That’s some wild poo poo

Blast Fantasto fucked around with this message at 02:48 on Oct 30, 2019

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Blast Fantasto posted:

I’m glad that the three great misunderstood horror sequels (Halloween 3, Exorcist 3, Psycho 2) have all been revisited culturally and are now rightly understood to be Good, Actually

Edit: Halloween 3 has a lower IMDB rating than Halloween 5 and H20 and the same rating as Halloween 6. That’s some wild poo poo
Lost cause. IMDB is fuckin frozen in amber.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

Ms Fuchi posted:

The head scissor scene? My favourite part of that movie will always be Brad Dourif's "Don't you know you're in the presence of an artist!" speech

Yeah the jump, I forgot how much of the movie technically takes place in a hospital. Dourif is incredible and the modulation on his voice is extremely unsettling.

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
^^^Dourif and George C. Scott in the same movie is a real treat. Two of my all time favorite actors for totally different reasons

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Oh yeah, for sure. It’s just an interesting time capsule into a time when Halloween 3 was basically reviled for existing

Blast Fantasto fucked around with this message at 03:07 on Oct 30, 2019

sponges
Sep 15, 2011

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

What do you mean?

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Everything about IMDB is like looking 12 years into the past but I have to conclude at this point that's its appeal.

sponges
Sep 15, 2011

I’m still bummed they got rid of their awful message boards

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

sponges posted:

I’m still bummed they got rid of their awful message boards

If you want dipshit opinions from 2000 you can still read the reviews.

Finally gonna revisit From Beyond for the first time in over five years after I finish rewatches of Mandy and You're Next. The From Beyond boxart on Tubi is some real SyFy channel movie of the week Dracula 3000 poo poo.

Gay Horney
Feb 10, 2013

by Reene
are you opining that a movie made in the 70s is better now than it was in 2002

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I still don't actually like Halloween III, but I get why people do.

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

weekly font posted:

If you want dipshit opinions from 2000 you can still read the reviews.

Finally gonna revisit From Beyond for the first time in over five years after I finish rewatches of Mandy and You're Next. The From Beyond boxart on Tubi is some real SyFy channel movie of the week Dracula 3000 poo poo.

Yeah it’s terrible, I don’t know what the gently caress this is even supposed to be

It’s like they’re trying to deceive people into not realizing it’s a movie from the 80s.

vs. this which fuckin rules obviously

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

STAC Goat posted:

I still don't actually like Halloween III, but I get why people do.

yeah this is p much my opinion too tbh. Tom Atkins' character is a creep.