Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006

Vasukhani posted:

really helps convince turks its real when you put it off for 100 years and then do it when it is politically convenient.

The turks actually get really mad about this, congress almost, but not quite, did this under obama and the turks were quite upset!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

guidoanselmi
Feb 6, 2008

I thought my ideas were so clear. I wanted to make an honest post. No lies whatsoever.

gradenko_2000 posted:

Lebanon's Prime Minister Saad Hariri just announced that he will be resigning

second times a charm!

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

https://twitter.com/lastlordd/status/1189248974261248001?s=20
https://twitter.com/atrak1903/status/1189252533463719936?s=20
https://twitter.com/eerkaneerkan/status/1189249543730274304?s=20

and a two-fer

https://twitter.com/Ben_Eliad/status/1189284746729263106?s=20

wisconsingreg
Jan 13, 2019
https://twitter.com/byrdinator/status/1189303734163124227

well this'll look bad

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Her point is sound, though. This should have been done ages ago and not during this period where we're mad at Erdogan.

420 Gank Mid
Dec 26, 2008

WARNING: This poster is a huge bitch!

once again Omar is correct

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!

Vasukhani posted:

well this'll look bad

yeah to all the right people lol

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!
https://twitter.com/Concern26987694/status/1189308408077455360

wisconsingreg
Jan 13, 2019

is this a way of saying she isn't white

wisconsingreg
Jan 13, 2019

Grapplejack posted:

Her point is sound, though. This should have been done ages ago and not during this period where we're mad at Erdogan.

remember when the US made a Ukrainian "genocide" memorial. using dead babies as poker chips is gross. Especially because it doesn't really matter what one country calls it if there is no international recognition.

Frijolero
Jan 24, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
Drake bad: ongoing genocide of Palestinians

Drake good: genocide from when Turkey didn't even exist yet

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

she should introduce an identical bill for palestinians and see how many votes it gets in committee before it's squashed like a child under a bulldozer

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

aw, hell

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

the comments on his fb post are poison, jesus christ

Doktor Avalanche
Dec 30, 2008

Vasukhani posted:

really helps convince turks its real when you put it off for 100 years and then do it when it is politically convenient.

what is "it", the armenian genocide? because the goal of acknowledging a genocide isn't to convince those who commited it that it really did happen.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
i do think it's a bad look, I'm not even sure what it accomplishes

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

holy poo poo the interventionists are crawling out of the woodwork on this omar vote

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

on the fuckin' war nerd facebook

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer
I can see the logic of what Omar did but it also seems like a profoundly foolish and short-sighted decision on a tactical level and is just gonna be used to make her look bad to the public with no real gain for her.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

Lightning Knight posted:

I can see the logic of what Omar did but it also seems like a profoundly foolish and short-sighted decision on a tactical level and is just gonna be used to make her look bad to the public with no real gain for her.

What are principles

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

There is literally nothing she can do other than quit that won't be used against her so gently caress everyone else

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Jose posted:

What are principles

I mean I don’t disagree, but also politics in a capitalist society are grimy and gross and it’s lame that her actions will inevitably be read in the worst way possible.

I hope she introduces a bunch of “recognize things western countries did as genocide” bills tho because that would be both good and extremely funny.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Lightning Knight posted:

I mean I don’t disagree, but also politics in a capitalist society are grimy and gross and it’s lame that her actions will inevitably be read in the worst way possible.

I hope she introduces a bunch of “recognize things western countries did as genocide” bills tho because that would be both good and extremely funny.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jeannette_Rankin

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

I mean I respect that lady too even though I disagree with voting against the war in that particular instance, but the big difference between Rankin and Omar is that Rankin materially disagreed with the spirit of what she voted against, whereas Omar does not and merely disagrees on process/political grounds.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

i say swears online posted:

on the fuckin' war nerd facebook

Incredible screenshot there comrade

THS
Sep 15, 2017

Lightning Knight posted:

hope you realize that this kind of weird compromising attitude you have here is how you end up slowly rationalizing yourself further to the right in your head, it takes a long period, but it’s not a healthy mindset. unless you embrace that the kind of people who would object to this literally don’t matter and are either liberals who just post on twitter or are actively working against you in positions of power - you will fall to brain worms. 99% of people do not care about the optics of omar’s vote on this and getting Concerned about it is hazardous to yourself

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

THS posted:

hope you realize that this kind of weird compromising attitude you have here is how you end up slowly rationalizing yourself further to the right in your head, it takes a long period, but it’s not a healthy mindset. unless you embrace that the kind of people who would object to this literally don’t matter and are either liberals who just post on twitter or are actively working against you in positions of power - you will fall to brain worms. 99% of people do not care about the optics of omar’s vote on this and getting Concerned about it is hazardous to yourself

true, I suppose.

my morning jackass
Aug 24, 2009

https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/saudi-arabia-lav-canada-armoured-vehicles-1.5340087

quote:

Saudi Arabia still owes about $3.4 billion in late payments for Canadian-produced Light Armoured Vehicles (LAVs), according to the latest quarterly financial results released by General Dynamics last week.

The Liberal government endorsed a controversial deal, made by the previous Conservative government in 2014, to supply the Saudis with hundreds of LAV 6.0 advanced combat vehicles used to transport troops on the battlefield.

The LAVs are wheeled military vehicles armed with various weapons, including automatic cannons, machine guns, mortars and anti-tank missiles. They're being produced by General Dynamics Land Systems-Canada (GDLS-C) at its plant in London, Ontario.

The roughly $14-billion contract was brokered and is being managed by the Canadian Commercial Corporation (CCC), a Crown corporation that helps Canadian companies in aerospace, defence, infrastructure and other sectors land contracts with foreign governments.

According to General Dynamics' quarterly earnings statements, the Saudi late payment debt has been growing by $200 million every quarter since the beginning of the year.

According to CCC's website, "every contract signed has the legal effect of being signed in the name of the Government of Canada, providing foreign government buyers with the assurance that the contract will be delivered per the agreed terms and conditions, guaranteed."

'Slow' payments

That arrangement means that the exporting company acts as a subcontractor and gets paid by the federal government — once Ottawa receives payment from the foreign purchaser.

During a third-quarter earnings call with market analysts on Oct. 23, General Dynamics Corp chairperson and CEO Phebe Novakovic admitted that the payments from Saudi Arabia "have remained slow."

"There's no dispute on the fact that it is owed," Novakovic said. "It's simply a question of timing. And we're still hopeful that we resolve that by the end of the year."

However, it's not clear whether Canadian taxpayers might be on the hook for any interest and late payment fees accrued by the Saudis, according to experts.

General Dynamics said in its quarterly earnings report that the late payment amounts — totalling $2.6 billion US, or roughly $3.4 billion Cdn —will be billed to the Canadian government "in accordance with the agreed-upon contractual terms."

"We continue to meet our obligations under the contract and are entitled to payment for work performed," the company said in its earnings release. "Therefore, we expect to collect the full amount currently outstanding."

Canadian taxpayers on the hook?

David Perry is vice president of the Canadian Global Affairs Institute, an independent foreign policy think-tank. He said the problem with late payments has been known for a while — but experts were surprised by their sheer scope of the unpaid sum.

"Ultimately, right now, it's not the government of Canada in the short term that is on the hook. It's not the taxpayers. It's actually the company that's facing the impact of this payment shortfall more so than taxpayers," Perry said.

A spokesperson for CCC said the Crown corporation is bound by commercial confidentiality and is not able to disclose the details of specific contracts or their management.

"CCC works hand-in-hand with the Canadian exporter to resolve contractual and payment issues while protecting Canadian taxpayers," a spokesperson for CCC told Radio Canada International in an email.

Help from federal government

To help General Dynamics deal with the financial shortfall, the federal government announced on Aug. 16 that it would provide a repayable loan of up to $650 million to the company as it "navigates a challenging and dynamic international defence market," officials with Global Affairs Canada said in an email.

On that same date, the federal government announced its intention to acquire 360 LAVs for the Canadian Armed Forces, which already operate a fleet of older LAV models. The $1.7-billion contract was formally awarded to General Dynamics on Sept. 5.

Work has begun on the program and General Dynamics expects to begin deliveries to the Canadian military in the first quarter of 2021, Novakovic said.

"The loan issue is a bit curious because there has been, as best as I can tell, absolutely no information put out about what specifically that's for," Perry said. "It seems very much like it's tied in to this deal with Saudi Arabia."

The deal for the purchase of 360 LAVs for the Canadian military could be linked to the wider deal to sell these combat systems to Saudi Arabia and the late payment issue, Perry said.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Lightning Knight posted:

who in the American public actually gives a gently caress about the House finally voting to acknowledge a genocide that's been widely recognized as such all over America for literally more than a hundred years?

it's an obvious political cudgel being wielded against Turkey because the US govt wrote them a blank check to do whatever the gently caress they wanted and then got mad when they used it to do something the US govt wasn't really happy with

such an openly unprincipled bill like that is a perfect time to take a political stand based on principle

the only people that are going to use it against her are the same class of ghouls who've been complicit in denying the Armenian genocide for political benefit for their entire loving lives. there's nothing for her to fear

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
Armenian americans probably care

wisconsingreg
Jan 13, 2019

Doctor Jeep posted:

what is "it", the armenian genocide? because the goal of acknowledging a genocide isn't to convince those who commited it that it really did happen.

it is if you ever want reparations

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC

Main Paineframe posted:

who in the American public actually gives a gently caress about the House finally voting to acknowledge a genocide that's been widely recognized as such all over America for literally more than a hundred years?

I care. :armenianflagtear:

This has been the number one goal of the Armenian-American lobby and it's nice to see it actually happen.

It's much less nice to see it happen because the Kurds are getting ethnically cleansed from northwestern Syrian though.

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

If the US was seriously gearing up to invade or or attempt regime change in Turkey, I can see voting present. But Congress mostly seems to having a public show of disagreeing with Trump on this even as the US state as a whole has reached a compromise on the Syria "withdraw." US troops are reoccupying Syrian oil wells and leaving the border area to Russia, Turkey, and Syria to sort out.

The Armenian Genocide is controversial because the US has supported the Turkish effort to cover it up around the world, now that the relationship is in crisis it's a fine time to force the issue before the status quo resettles.

I saw some speculation on Twitter that her constituents probably campaigned against it, as Turkey has been investing in Somalia, so Somalis in the US might support Turkey on this issue.

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

lol that Canadian politicians justified selling weapons to Saudi Arabia because it create jobs, but it turns out they're just donating weapons to Saudi Arabia

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
I love the crazy conspiracy that people come up with it couldn’t be her very correct reasoning she gave it has to be a nefarious plot by big Turkey

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

Lightning Knight posted:

Turkey is a huge supporter of Somalia, and they have a lot of ex-pats living in Turkey. It shouldn't be a surprise that a Sunni politician wont criticize a Sunni state.

The rationalization she offers is an excuse, she wouldn't vote even if the US wasn't in a spat with Turkey, but she's good on other issues which can be useful in the short term. Pretty much everyone in congress is compromised to some degree and need to be largely voted out.

Dreylad has issued a correction as of 20:56 on Oct 30, 2019

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

I mean, she doesn't even call it a genocide in her statement.

Genocide recognition just straight up isn't an academic understanding, it's a political struggle. She's wrong about that. It took political struggle for people to start acknowledging the Slave Trade and the Conquest of the Americas as genocides.

Omar is probably still the best US representative but she can be wrong.

CharlestheHammer posted:

I love the crazy conspiracy that people come up with it couldn’t be her very correct reasoning she gave it has to be a nefarious plot by big Turkey

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LraNlv__AU4

Turkey isn't quite at the level of the Israel lobby, but it is big enough to beat up protesters in the US and get away with it.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
wait do believe legit believe that. man people are really stupid sometimes

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Dreylad posted:

It shouldn't be a surprise that a Sunni politician wont criticize a Sunni state.

I’m sorry, what the gently caress are you talking about?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Atrocious Joe posted:

I mean, she doesn't even call it a genocide in her statement.

Genocide recognition just straight up isn't an academic understanding, it's a political struggle. She's wrong about that. It took political struggle for people to start acknowledging the Slave Trade and the Conquest of the Americas as genocides.

Omar is probably still the best US representative but she can be wrong.

https://twitter.com/IlhanMN/status/1189325468551602179?s=20