Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

ruddiger posted:

I used to read X-E and WhateverDude all the time in my early net days. It’s awesome seeing Matt still at it.

I found myself on I-Mockery.com for the first time in years earlier this month and that was a bit of a whirlwind. The site hasn't updated its design since like, 2004, and celebrated it's twentieth (!) anniversary in September, but holy lord has RoG been through some insane poo poo these past couple of years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
To be fair I think it’s the clear worst of the 3 movies I mentioned (Exorcist 3 being the best, Psycho 2 the middle) but more what I was getting at is that it had for years this reputation as terrible because it didn’t have Michael Myers in it. The idea of it being worse somehow than Halloween 5 or 6 is crazy.

I have heard a bunch of people call it the best Halloween movie which is an extreme over correction / some contrarian bullshit

Edit; I rewatched Halloween 2 (1981) tonight and it was basically as I remembered it - far inferior to the original but a fun, better than average slasher regardless. It’s like an officially-licensed Halloween knockoff.

I had forgotten somehow the kid getting hit by the car / exploding until right before it happened and had a good laugh about it all over again.

Blast Fantasto fucked around with this message at 03:42 on Oct 30, 2019

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

Blast Fantasto posted:

To be fair I think it’s the clear worst of the 3 movies I mentioned (Exorcist 3 being the best, Psycho 2 the middle) but more what I was getting at is that it had for years this reputation as terrible because it didn’t have Michael Myers in it. The idea of it being worse somehow than Halloween 5 or 6 is crazy.

I have heard a bunch of people call it the best Halloween movie which is an extreme over correction / some contrarian bullshit

I think III is the second best of the OG run after the first flick. It's definitely something I'd be more likely to rewatch every 2-3 years before Halloween 4 or 5 or whatever.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

Blast Fantasto posted:

Edit; I rewatched Halloween 2 (1981) tonight and it was basically as I remembered it - far inferior to the original but a fun, better than average slasher regardless. It’s like an officially-licensed Halloween knockoff.

I had forgotten somehow the kid getting hit by the car / exploding until right before it happened and had a good laugh about it all over again.

#JusticeForBenTrammer

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Isn't there some rumor Ben Tramer comes back in Halloween Kills?

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Isn't there some rumor Ben Tramer comes back in Halloween Kills?

I'm pretty sure I read something about it. If Halloween II isn't canon, it means he's still alive, which in turn means that we get one more opportunity to watch him get hilariously merc'd by police ineptitude.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
My assumption would be that he would come back as like a second Shape that really has it out for cops.

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

weekly font posted:

#JusticeForBenTrammer

The fact that it’s him is such an arbitrary detail, especially considering that we never even see Laurie hear of or react to his death. Makes it even funnier.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Tart Kitty posted:

I'm pretty sure I read something about it. If Halloween II isn't canon, it means he's still alive, which in turn means that we get one more opportunity to watch him get hilariously merc'd by police ineptitude.

Hey, now, be fair. That was totally on Loomis.

sponges
Sep 15, 2011

Tart Kitty posted:

That is such a bizarre scene.

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

sponges posted:

I legit think it's the most disturbing part of the movie because like, it's easy to forget that Tramer is supposed to be a high school kid. And he's clearly freaked out by the confusion that erupts around him, and does literally what anyone would do and tries to get away from it as quickly as possible, only for poo poo to get ratcheted to this insane level of sudden violence.

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender

FreudianSlippers posted:

Short Night of Glass Dolls absolutely rules.

One of the best gialli I've seen that isn't made by Fulci or Argento.

An American reporter is found dead in a square in Prague. As he is brought to the morgue he realises he is still fully conscious and tries to remember the labrynthian chain of events that cost him his life.

Oozing athmosphere and mystique with some fantastic visuals and a score by Morricone.

That was one of my favourite giallos in the spring horror challenge. It's really good!

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
Halloween II does have my favorite Loomis moment where he has that exchange with the neighbor and he says "you don't know what death is" and rants about Michael and the neighbor doesn't know wtf

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pdB0__gkKmU

el oso
Feb 18, 2005

phew, for a minute there i lost myself

STAC Goat posted:

Holy loving poo poo Zombie's Halloween II is a great motherfucking movie.

It rips. Don't let the haterz bring you down

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

Loomis scaring the kid at the Myers house is great. It's wild watching his de-evolution from 1-5 when he's throwing a little girl right at Uncle Boogeyman.

T3hRen3gade
Jun 7, 2007

Look in my eye,
what do you see?

el oso posted:

It rips. Don't let the haterz bring you down

It does. I just re-watched it for the challenge and it's easily better than Zombie's first attempt at the remake, and one of his better films in general. I'm curious though, for those who have seen both endings, which do you like better? I prefer the theatrical ending but still think the overall Director's Cut is much better than the theatrical release.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Tart Kitty posted:

I legit think it's the most disturbing part of the movie because like, it's easy to forget that Tramer is supposed to be a high school kid. And he's clearly freaked out by the confusion that erupts around him, and does literally what anyone would do and tries to get away from it as quickly as possible, only for poo poo to get ratcheted to this insane level of sudden violence.

Yeah, its great because its showing wha an absolute madman Loomis is becoming and what a complete panic the cops are in. Dumb kids are being dumb kids and Loomis is pulling guns on them and ranting about evil and poo poo. And everything just hits this fever pitch and a kid dies. And Pleasance does a great job showing Loomis kind of come back to reality for a moment and hate himself for costing an innocent life, which I think goes directly to him being willing to sacrifice himself at the end.

weekly font posted:

Loomis scaring the kid at the Myers house is great. It's wild watching his de-evolution from 1-5 when he's throwing a little girl right at Uncle Boogeyman.

Yeah Loomis' complete breakdown as he becomes his own obsessed madman is really the story of the OG movies. And like it reaches a point where he's willing to use a 10 year old girl as bait for Michael and he just doesn't care what happens to her. To him stopping this evil is worth it all.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

T3hRen3gade posted:

It does. I just re-watched it for the challenge and it's easily better than Zombie's first attempt at the remake, and one of his better films in general. I'm curious though, for those who have seen both endings, which do you like better? I prefer the theatrical ending but still think the overall Director's Cut is much better than the theatrical release.

I haven't seen it but I kind of hate the ending you spoilered in the Challenge thread. I just think Zombie really nailed it with the theatrical ending, but I'd have to see the alternate to fairly judge.

edit: Stupid double post. My bad.

T3hRen3gade
Jun 7, 2007

Look in my eye,
what do you see?

STAC Goat posted:

I haven't seen it but I kind of hate the ending you spoilered in the Challenge thread. I just think Zombie really nailed it with the theatrical ending, but I'd have to see the alternate to fairly judge.

This is the "Love Hurts" ending to the unrated director's cut, which apparently was the ending Rob Zombie wanted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CTPVZP6--4I

I mean, I get what he was going for here because it completes the twisted version of the character arc of Laurie it seems like Zombie wanted to explore all along, but I think the timing was all wrong. If this is the ending he wanted to go with (which it is, this is the Director's Cut), why not let Laurie go ahead and stab the poo poo out of Loomis which would realistically prompt the cops to shoot her? That makes way more sense to me. This just looks like a bunch of trigger-happy police murdering a traumatized hostage who clearly isn't in her right mind. Zombie has even said in interviews that the final white hallway sequence was supposed to be the final thoughts Laurie is having as she dies. The original theatrical ending is so much better imho

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Yeah, I definitely way prefer the theatrical. Sorry, Zombie. I don't like your ending as much. Even the Love Hurts part. It think its a much more fitting end for Laurie to go from the traumatized girl who can't cope with having killed a man to the completely broken girl who just killed her brother. Killing her, especially without her actually doing anything and the cops straight up murdering her just muddies it and feels like a less thoughtful and more gut instinct Zombie favorite.

STAC Goat fucked around with this message at 05:55 on Oct 30, 2019

TheBizzness
Oct 5, 2004

Reign on me.

weekly font posted:

Just checking in to say that hospital scene in Exorcist III is so loving good. I knew what was coming and I was still completely on edge.

If I could make avs, I would change my Av to the nurse about to get her head cut off hallway shot. Scene owns.

Re: Rob Zombies Halloween 2

Do I need to rewatch his Halloween again? Id like to rewatch his H2. I fully admit the one time I watched it I was working full time and a full time student and was barely paying attention/awake.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I don't think you HAVE to rewatch his Halloween to appreciate his Halloween 2. Like if you remember the backstory and ending pretty well the rest is basically a remake of the Carpenter film and it doesn't do a good job exploring any of the other characters like Laurie. H2 is a better film for a lot of reasons including that he actually pays attention to characters beyond Micheal. But Zombie does do a lot of character work with Micheal in the first film that he doesn't really pay off until the second.

Almost Blue
Apr 18, 2018
Is it known what Carpenter directed in the original Halloween 2? There's a couple bits that feel more like him than the rest of the movie (like the part with Michael walking down Haddonfield at night as nobody pays attention to him), but has anything been said by him or Rosenthal about what was reshot by Carpenter?

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

I was finally able to snag a copy of Arrows creepshow 2 release. Why the hell did they redesign the creep from the first movie for this one? I get he's closer to the original crypt keeper look here, but her looked way cooler in the first movie.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Vince MechMahon posted:

I was finally able to snag a copy of Arrows creepshow 2 release. Why the hell did they redesign the creep from the first movie for this one? I get he's closer to the original crypt keeper look here, but her looked way cooler in the first movie.

The skeleton guy in the first one isn't much of a host. He's just a skellington. I think the Creep looks pretty cool in 2 when he's live action, but the animated segments look so awful that it doesn't convey the character very well.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Just finished up the new Are You Afraid of the Dark? and it's really well done, though the ending is a bit weak. At first I was disappointed that it wasn't doing the whole anthology thing of the original show but I like what it does and it does it pretty well, reminded me a lot of Scary Stories. Stoked if they continue it.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Lurdiak posted:

The skeleton guy in the first one isn't much of a host. He's just a skellington. I think the Creep looks pretty cool in 2 when he's live action, but the animated segments look so awful that it doesn't convey the character very well.

They should have made skeleton man talk.

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Do you like scary movies?

Vince MechMahon posted:

They should have made skeleton man talk.

He did laugh at least.

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

weekly font posted:

#JusticeForBenTrammer

Maybe the only positive from Halloween 2 (The Rob Zombie One) is Ben lives.

I'm still surprised Malcolm McDowell and Brad Dourif aren't in wheelchairs from trying to carry that movie on their backs.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Last year, the British audio producers Bafflegab Productions did a full cast adaptation of Clive Barker's The Hellbound Heart (the basis for Hellraiser)

http://bafflegab.co.uk/productions/the-hellbound-heart/

Well, today only, you can download it for free!

https://twitter.com/Bafflegabble/status/1189471849169719296?s=20

OpenSourceBurger
Sep 25, 2019
The scariest scene in Halloween 2018 was the sheer skin wrenching awkwardness of the fat friend making a move on the girl. That whole loving scene hurt.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
But the BEST scene was that uncut shot of Michael walking through the one house and then into the next house and the shot through the bay window

drat that was a good shot

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

COOL CORN posted:

But the BEST scene was that uncut shot of Michael walking through the one house and then into the next house and the shot through the bay window

drat that was a good shot

Yea that's the one I think of immediately when I remember the movie.

The best moment in the actual script through is when Laurie's daughter baits Michael into showing himself and then plugs him. That was a great fist pumping movie moment.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
To nobody's surprise, Creepshow gets a second season. Hopefully they'll up the budget a bit this time around, or give a more forgiving production schedule.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

sponges posted:

It's made even more bizarre by the fact that he's dressed in the exact same coveralls and same mask as Myers but with blond hair. I mean it's not like Michael Myers dresses in a generic Dracula costume or something, that kid picked out some blue coveralls and wore a Blank White Face Guy mask (I assume it's not meant to be William Shatner in the Halloween universe). That's like a one-in-a-thousand shot, talk about bad luck.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

King Vidiot posted:

It's made even more bizarre by the fact that he's dressed in the exact same coveralls and same mask as Myers but with blond hair. I mean it's not like Michael Myers dresses in a generic Dracula costume or something, that kid picked out some blue coveralls and wore a Blank White Face Guy mask (I assume it's not meant to be William Shatner in the Halloween universe). That's like a one-in-a-thousand shot, talk about bad luck.

Trivia Time!

Michael wears grey-green coveralls, while Ben's actually wearing a blue jacket with blue jeans. The mask is a generic ghoul design from the local hardware store, so there are probably dozens of kids out there with roughly the same look.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
I watched the Brood for the first time and all I can say is :stonk:

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
I'll always go to bat for the 1981 Halloween 2. It'd be legit good if it didn't have such a weirdly rushed third act that completely falls apart, it feels unfinished, and I think Laurie being his sister wouldn't come to be such a hated thing if the back half of the movie and the way it was revealed was done better. Instead there's that insanely stupid looking flashback, and then different characters all learn about this, and then it gets brought up again like it's new information an extra time, it's handled really badly.

The first like 15 minutes or so of the movie fuckin' rules though as does stuff the hilarity of how completely loving turbo owned Ben Tramer gets vs. how much they're just like "whelp!" afterwards. But the script is kind of all over the place with that with characters going back and forth from being indifferent or not.

But the individual kills are well done, and the movie has a great streak of dark humor running through it that I appreciate right from the get go with Loomis practically being cut off in mid-rant for the credits. The slipping in blood, etc.

It also falls apart as it goes on though because it's really well shot for the most part until the we get towards the end.

So like obviously it's dogshit compared to the original but it's a perfectly good slasher with some above average moments and Donald Pleasance, so I'll never get the hate.

Also I know we've talked about it in here before but drat that intro and the version of the theme in it, and the way the pumpkin blooms into a distorted skull? Scared the poo poo out of me as a little kid :perfect:

Almost Blue posted:

Is it known what Carpenter directed in the original Halloween 2? There's a couple bits that feel more like him than the rest of the movie (like the part with Michael walking down Haddonfield at night as nobody pays attention to him), but has anything been said by him or Rosenthal about what was reshot by Carpenter?

I always assumed the same, like especially right after the credits when we first get him stalking around? It's for real tensely done.

Neo Rasa fucked around with this message at 16:56 on Oct 30, 2019

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

Trivia Time!

Michael wears grey-green coveralls, while Ben's actually wearing a blue jacket with blue jeans. The mask is a generic ghoul design from the local hardware store, so there are probably dozens of kids out there with roughly the same look.

This is made explicit in Part 4. But really why is the town still selling this mask?

Almost Blue posted:

It's directed by Rick Rosenthal who inexplicably also directed Resurrection, which for as much as I think the Zombies suck, manages to be exponentially worse. Dean Cundey, who was the cinematographer on 1 came back for 2 and 3 which is why they don't look like washed out poo poo.

weekly font fucked around with this message at 17:02 on Oct 30, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OpenSourceBurger
Sep 25, 2019

weekly font posted:

This is made explicit in Part 4. But really why is the town still selling this mask?

I always like the idea that locales in long running horror series just say "gently caress it" at a certain point and cash in.