Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

yea ok
Jul 27, 2006

Everybody loves to talk about Jim Cornette and his podcast empire, his opinions, his thoughts and feelings on everything to do with the Pro Wrestling business. They love it so much they can't ever just shut the gently caress up about him in every single thread. Well, why not have a central area to bring him up constantly, that maybe I don't have to look at or see :razzy: Enjoy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rovert
Jun 10, 2013
*Lays out my burger towel*

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

He sucks

yea ok
Jul 27, 2006

Kinetic is a word used to describe Jim's rants, they're a tour de force of wrestling knowledge.
I love his wisdom and the way he takes down the marks.
Lately he's gone a bit off the rails, but things have gotten crazy in the wrestling world.
Like...how could anyone have expected this poo poo with AEW?

Jim puts his foot in his mouth occasionally but he's a good dude at heart.
I think he can be misunderstood, until you realize he's trying to make a buck.
Most podcasters fall into the same traps, but don't have the years of experience to fall back on.

Can't really stand most of his followers on twitter, but that's not Jim's fault.
Orange Cassidy really is a loving geek when you think about it for more than 5 seconds anyways.
Really, that poo poo might pop a mark crowd 3 times, or 30 times, but let's see some longevity first.
Nearly every money mark operation fails, Jim has the pedigree to understand this.
Even if we disagree with him, none of us have taken a bump (Nick Lovin as the exception)
To be fair to Jim,
These are becoming harder to think of
Everybody loves Jim!!!!

rovert
Jun 10, 2013
Toxic follower/defense force wise he has long replaced Vince Russo's Brand.

TelevisedInsanity
Dec 19, 2008

"You'll never know if you can fly unless you take the risk of falling."
big fan of whoever does the cartoon thumbnails for his youtube channel, because it makes him come across somehow even more smug than the main character in a gamer webcomic, but with all the artistic skills of somebody who just bought anime-studio for the first time and wants to make south park

you see, he is eating donuts because JELLY janella?
you see, he is returning some jeans because POCKETS

it's really clever, you need a high-IQ to understand this comedy, otherwise, you are a trump-loving shithead that's "killing the business"

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer
He replaced No More Mr Nice Guy as the intro song with a really bad fan made suckup song recently and it’s a real bad acene

Pinstripe Hourglass
Nov 27, 2008

=RIVER PEOPLE=
Ay yi yi! We look
like... cartoons!

He is so blatantly, disgustingly homophobic. I don’t know how anyone can look past this.

Not just the horrible things he says about openly LGBT wrestlers like Sonny Kiss and Nyla. The way he talks about wrestlers he thinks are “fake”, like the Bucks and ESPECIALLY Omega, it always feels like he’s just barely stopping himself from calling them big homos.

Jim Cornette fans in 2019 make me feel so unsafe.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

I never really encounter this dude anymore. The only wrestling stuff I watch on youtube now is AEW related and youtube doesn't seem to connect them.

I seriously only see it here when people just have to post his nothing takes. It's never funny or insightful just angry about how Wrestling doesn't fit into a narrow set of parameters defined by careers around him in the 80s. You could write a script that detects something outside the CornetteBot's list and probably get about the same.

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD
Much like with Prichard, the novelty value and interest in old timey wrasslin’ stories wears off eventually and then you’re just listening to an angry out of touch old man rant.

Pinstripe Hourglass
Nov 27, 2008

=RIVER PEOPLE=
Ay yi yi! We look
like... cartoons!

Seams posted:

Much like with Prichard, the novelty value and interest in old timey wrasslin’ stories wears off eventually and then you’re just listening to an angry out of touch old man rant.

Cornette’s an interesting example to me of how much wrestling fan culture has changed in five years. When I first got into wrestling Cornette face was still all over the place, and people would post his hot takes all the time, he was generally still taken seriously. I see so much less of that stuff now, except from his weird Twitter-cult.

Crazy how fast you can become irrelevant when you dedicate yourself to it.

WatermelonGun
May 7, 2009
no one has ever seen jim cornette and foghorn leghorn together

dsriggs
May 28, 2012

MONEY FALLS...

...FROM THE SKY...

...WHENEVER HE POSTS!
:rant: Goddamn outlaw mud show motherfuckers never drew a dime in this business!

...now if you’ll excuse me, I have to go announce a YouTube show in a PBS studio.

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

WatermelonGun posted:

no one has ever seen jim cornette and foghorn leghorn together

Nick Aldis’ Wrestling ability as Michigan J Frog and Cornette as the construction worker

ItohRespectArmy
Sep 11, 2019

Cutest In The World, Six Time DDT Ironheavymetalweight champion, Two Time International Princess champion, winner of two tournaments, a Princess Tag Team champion, And a pretty good singer too!
"When I was an idol, I felt nothing every day but now that I'm a pro wrestler I'm in pain constantly!"

cornettes podcast has been a catalogue of him telling on himself so in that respect it's good.

I also probably won't watch NWA until he goes because gently caress supporting him and his awful opinions.

TelevisedInsanity
Dec 19, 2008

"You'll never know if you can fly unless you take the risk of falling."

dsriggs posted:

:rant: Goddamn outlaw mud show motherfuckers never drew a dime in this business!

...now if you’ll excuse me, I have to go announce a YouTube show in a PBS studio.

I mean, I get it, he really wants "old school" wrestling to return - the faces are seen as faces to the public, the heels are heels to the public, and it's all a work to the crowd.

But now that people "know" the business, you can't really go back to the Rock and Roll Express era of wrestling - and the genre evolved into all the different flavors, from strong style, to technical, to lucha, that the only thing worth noting is hardcore/deathmatch style.

He never understood the wrestling psychology that went into those NJPW Omega Matches that warranted the stars, and if you ever look back at what Cornette said about The Kliq, it's mirrored to that of The Young Bucks.

It's so weird hearing his politics and agreeing with him, but then hearing pretty homophobic poo poo a few minutes later and then go "come onnnn" - I am unsure if Cornette Experience is Wrestling's Chapo Trap House (I think that might go to WrestleSplainia?)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=njzm6_LSdDw

he should just write down his thoughts and just do these rants from here on out.

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD
Chapo isn’t racist/homophobic and they use their affiliated twitch stream to raise money for trans lifeline so I don’t think they’re very alike tbh

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
Cornette is worth listening to if and only if the subject is old-timey wrestling history trivia and he keeps himself on topic.

The rest of Cornette's output seems to be bigoted old man rants intermixed with yelling about how the hottest product in professional wrestling today is somehow bad and will never make any money.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

it would be funny if someone went to his wrestling memorabilia attic and set it on fire, and the whole place burned down, and it really hurt him to the core and destroyed his life as far as he was concerned. because of when he wishes death upon people for phony wrestling. :sidvicious:

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
He's the first man to get Korsakoff from burger grease and that is an achievement.

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

Jim Cornette is a fat, jealous old bastard.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

yea ok posted:

I love his wisdom and the way he takes down the marks.

is there any bigger mark than the guy who loves when someone "owns the marks"

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

mark henry

FullLeatherJacket
Dec 30, 2004

Chiunque può essere Luther Blissett, semplicemente adottando il nome Luther Blissett

Pinstripe Hourglass posted:

He is so blatantly, disgustingly homophobic. I don’t know how anyone can look past this.

Not just the horrible things he says about openly LGBT wrestlers like Sonny Kiss and Nyla. The way he talks about wrestlers he thinks are “fake”, like the Bucks and ESPECIALLY Omega, it always feels like he’s just barely stopping himself from calling them big homos.

Jim Cornette fans in 2019 make me feel so unsafe.

:crossarms:

Jim Cornette is a 58-year-old man who's now pretty out of touch with what's a marketable product in 2019 and who is convinced that NXT (audience age > 50) is going to beat AEW in the long run, but if you feel genuinely unsafe based on the idea that he somehow is secretly homophobic against two married men doing spot matches I would maybe suggest that going outside for some air would be in order

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

I don't think anyone thinks Cornette is secretly homophobic.

It's pretty clear honestly.

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

FullLeatherJacket posted:

:crossarms:

Jim Cornette is a 58-year-old man who's now pretty out of touch with what's a marketable product in 2019 and who is convinced that NXT (audience age > 50) is going to beat AEW in the long run, but if you feel genuinely unsafe based on the idea that he somehow is secretly homophobic against two married men doing spot matches I would maybe suggest that going outside for some air would be in order

thanks for telling queer folks what they should and shouldn't be scared of, cishet

gently caress Jim Cornette btw

ThePariah
Feb 10, 2014
Remember when Jim Cornette got fired for slapping Santino Marella? He later said that he's since been in anger management, but within the last year he got into a heated argument with Santino. He's never going to change.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

I know that Cornette is a homophobe and a transphobe, so he can go gently caress himself as far as I am concerned.

TelevisedInsanity posted:

It's so weird hearing his politics and agreeing with him, but then hearing pretty homophobic poo poo a few minutes later and then go "come onnnn" - I am unsure if Cornette Experience is Wrestling's Chapo Trap House (I think that might go to WrestleSplainia?)

gently caress kinda politics does this guy have if they clash with his stance on LGBT? Maybe he’s just a Never Trumper.

FullLeatherJacket
Dec 30, 2004

Chiunque può essere Luther Blissett, semplicemente adottando il nome Luther Blissett

Venomous posted:

thanks for telling queer folks what they should and shouldn't be scared of, cishet

gently caress Jim Cornette btw

If you're worried about going outside because you saw on the internet that Jim Cornette said that the Young Bucks were bad and that their matches are bad, yes, you legitimately need professional help. I'm sorry to break that news.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Save your disdain for Jim Cornette and not other posters for gently caress's sake.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

the only thread that doesn't want to talk about corny

Bard Maddox
Feb 15, 2012

I'm just a sick guy, I'm really just a dirty guy.
Jim Cornette sucks rear end

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

FullLeatherJacket posted:

If you're worried about going outside because you saw on the internet that Jim Cornette said that the Young Bucks were bad and that their matches are bad, yes, you legitimately need professional help. I'm sorry to break that news.

you're being a disingenuous asshat here but w/e ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

there's a concrete difference between 'I am scared of Jim Cornette's lovely queerphobic opinions' and 'I am scared of people who take Jim Cornette's lovely queerphobic opinions as gospel and could push queer wrestling fans out of the fandom en masse', and if you don't see that, then welp

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

Jim Cornette reminds me of a creepy Southern P.E. teacher.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

ThePariah posted:

Remember when Jim Cornette got fired for slapping Santino Marella? He later said that he's since been in anger management, but within the last year he got into a heated argument with Santino. He's never going to change.

what's his beef with santino

i assume it's the goofiness but uh did he look at all at his era of wrestling, every popular guy was a major goofus in some way

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

I might be getting some of the details wrong, but from memory back when Cornette was running OVW (I think), he got upset when Santino came to a show on an off-day with his kid and openly laughed when The Boogeyman tried to menace them. Next time Santino was booked, Cornette confronted him and went off on him for not maintaining kayfabe since Boogeyman was being booked as a scary monster, while Santino said he wanted to make sure his kid felt safe by showing it was all a bit of fun. Cornette got furious and slapped Santino in the face, and I think if I remember right he got (rightly) fired for it.

That said, 2-3 years ago Santino met Cornette at some convention and evidently was deliberately trying to goad him into losing his temper at him and I believe the allegation was that Santino was trying to generate some controversy for some show he was doing or something? I'm sketchier on the details on that particular incident so hopefully somebody else can fill them in.

FullLeatherJacket
Dec 30, 2004

Venomous posted:

you're being a disingenuous asshat here but w/e ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

there's a concrete difference between 'I am scared of Jim Cornette's lovely queerphobic opinions' and 'I am scared of people who take Jim Cornette's lovely queerphobic opinions as gospel and could push queer wrestling fans out of the fandom en masse', and if you don't see that, then welp

Just to be clear, as far as I'm aware, the collated evidence against Jim Cornette here is:

- referred to Sonny Kiss (who came to the ring in full makeup and rammed Tommy Dreamer's face into his taint) as a "drag act" as part of an unrelated point
- suggested that Nyla Rose be... pushed hard as a monster heel and not lose to 90lb girls
- thinks Kenny Omega is stagey and does a lot of "jazz hands" bullshit
- doesn't like the Young Bucks(?)
- is an old and his pants are full of poop

Like, there are lots of reasons that you can think Jim Cornette's opinions are silly and hyperbolic, but he's now "clearly" an irredeemable homophobe and transphobe because... other people on the internet have said he is and we must show our support, to the extent that you're now talking about people being scared to go to wrestling shows because someone there might agree with Jim Cornette? And if you dare to suggest that might be completely insane, you're now part of the problem. Yeah, that sucks.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

ThePariah
Feb 10, 2014
Oh right, it was the loving Boogeyman that should've been taken seriously. But I guess Orange Cassidy is a bridge too far? loving hypocrite.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Jerusalem posted:

I might be getting some of the details wrong, but from memory back when Cornette was running OVW (I think), he got upset when Santino came to a show on an off-day with his kid and openly laughed when The Boogeyman tried to menace them. Next time Santino was booked, Cornette confronted him and went off on him for not maintaining kayfabe since Boogeyman was being booked as a scary monster, while Santino said he wanted to make sure his kid felt safe by showing it was all a bit of fun. Cornette got furious and slapped Santino in the face, and I think if I remember right he got (rightly) fired for it.

geez jim it's the loving boogeyman calm down

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ItohRespectArmy
Sep 11, 2019

Cutest In The World, Six Time DDT Ironheavymetalweight champion, Two Time International Princess champion, winner of two tournaments, a Princess Tag Team champion, And a pretty good singer too!
"When I was an idol, I felt nothing every day but now that I'm a pro wrestler I'm in pain constantly!"

ThePariah posted:

Oh right, it was the loving Boogeyman that should've been taken seriously. But I guess Orange Cassidy is a bridge too far? loving hypocrite.

cornette also wrestled a ninja turtle once.