Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Disinterested
Jun 29, 2011

You look like you're still raking it in. Still killing 'em?
Nuking in Steamboat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Seconding the Big White recommendation

Math You
Oct 27, 2010

So put your faith
in more than steel
Anyone been to Red Mountain? I've heard a lot good about it and it seems significantly cheaper than a lot of other resorts.
Flights are a bit complicated though. Castlegar is expensive and probably doesn't have a lot of rental options. Spokane is a loving 11hr+ flight from Ottawa and an extra 2hr drive to the resort

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Kelowna and a 4 hour drive?

Seems a lot easier to fly to castlegar though.

spwrozek fucked around with this message at 17:11 on Oct 28, 2019

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

Math You posted:

Anyone been to Red Mountain? I've heard a lot good about it and it seems significantly cheaper than a lot of other resorts.
Flights are a bit complicated though. Castlegar is expensive and probably doesn't have a lot of rental options. Spokane is a loving 11hr+ flight from Ottawa and an extra 2hr drive to the resort

This is why I didn't recommend it to you; Red is a really good mountain and the town is great but it is annoying to get to. Cranbrook is probably your best bet to fly into and it's still a 3 hour drive from there.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

IncredibleIgloo posted:

I forgot to mention, about SLC, if you don't have any experience with the Church of Latter Day Saints, that can be a thing (positive or negative) and can have a little bit of a cramp on the Apres Ski activities, if that is your sort of thing. But if you are bringing young family with you it can be an advantage. But that does not sound like this trip, so I might avoid SLC.

What he means by this is they'll only give you a one ounce shot of liquor at a time, forcing you to not have a hangover the next day. It's frustrating while it happens and then in the morning you're thinking about joining the Mormon church

Moot .1415926535
Mar 24, 2006

Yep, that's pretty much it.
Torn labrum. Bye bye ski season.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Moot .1415926535 posted:

Bummer man. Surgery?

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Moot .1415926535 posted:

Noooooo

Disinterested
Jun 29, 2011

Serious bummer.

Moot .1415926535
Mar 24, 2006

spwrozek posted:

Bummer man. Surgery?

Yep. Scheduled for 11/12, and then begins the rehab. Hoping Silverton will let me push my pass to next year as I had heli skiing scheduled in February.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Here's hoping.

You can still go ski for 15 more days... Not sure if you all have snow yet though.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

Moot .1415926535 posted:

:(

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

Moot .1415926535 posted:

Ah that sucks. Here’s to a speedy recovery.

resident
Dec 22, 2005

WE WERE ALL UP IN THAT SHIT LIKE A MUTHAFUCKA. IT'S CLEANER THAN A BROKE DICK DOG.

I pre-ordered my Epic Local Pass back in April or something, and bought my wife one a couple weeks ago. Her's showed up last week Friday, and now I'm worried mine is lost in the mail forever.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Just let them know you never got it or pick it up on the first day at the resort.

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

I think you can check online to make sure you have all your documents signed and picture uploaded. I purchased my pass while their system was a bit overloaded and I had to do a bunch of that stuff multiple times.

resident
Dec 22, 2005

WE WERE ALL UP IN THAT SHIT LIKE A MUTHAFUCKA. IT'S CLEANER THAN A BROKE DICK DOG.

I'm marked good to go on my pic and waiver so I would think it should have gone out, but maybe the pre-orders end up in a massive backlog and it's just on its way still.

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

Thread: Nine year old who can do blues and likes easier blacks. Poles, yea or nay?

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

resident posted:

I'm marked good to go on my pic and waiver so I would think it should have gone out, but maybe the pre-orders end up in a massive backlog and it's just on its way still.

No, there's actually an amazingly good chance they didn't send your pass out because Vail. This happens literally every year, if you don't get it do as Sprowzek says and go to the window on your first day.

If that's opening day or anywhere near opening day, be prepared to wait a while though. The lineups from people who had to physically collect their passes because of Vail's fuckups here are always 2-3 hours long on the first few days.

Dangerllama posted:

Thread: Nine year old who can do blues and likes easier blacks. Poles, yea or nay?

Yes along with lessons teaching them how to pole plant.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Dangerllama posted:

Poles.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

This but coooooooooooool poles.

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

spwrozek posted:

This but coooooooooooool poles.

Welp. Now I gotta find the coolest 90cm poles on the internet.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Now I feel like I need to be helpful...

https://www.evo.com/ski-poles/line-skis-get-up-boys

Cool and adjustable for a growing kid.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Evo has poles called “Lil Send’r” and I love it so much

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Anyone have any exercise/drill suggestions for helping to get out of the back-seat while skiing?

Disinterested
Jun 29, 2011

One thing that can help is instead of thinking about levering your whole upper body up and forward, instead try constantly keeping tension in your ankle and pulling your feet back underneath you. Your goal is to feel some level of positive contact between the shin and the tongue of the boot all the time.

If you feel like no matter how hard you try you can't bend your boot at all forward, it's probably too stiff.

A lot of people find it helpful to use their hands as a cue. Try to keep them in front of you the whole time and always in your line of sight. If you feel like you're back already, try to stand up and reach forward as you do it to plant your pole as you begin your next turn.

Standing up can be important if you feel like you're getting squatty. If your knee is really bent, more than your other joints (how people usually get back) then it's hard to bend your ankle (which moves you forward). Letting your legs bend as you come toward the end of the turn is fine but they have to open again so you can bend your ankle as you begin your next turn.

As you ski faster and on more steep terrain, though, you have to keep in mind that your skis move faster than you do (because they travel a longer distance down the hill). So it's kind of a race. You have to project your body in your intended direction of travel or else your skis will win that race.

The ankles are key.

Disinterested fucked around with this message at 02:40 on Oct 29, 2019

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Topically enough, pole plant drills!

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Disinterested posted:

One thing that can help is instead of thinking about levering your whole upper body up and forward, instead try constantly keeping tension in your ankle and pulling your feet back underneath you. Your goal is to feel some level of positive contact between the shin and the tongue of the boot all the time.

If you feel like no matter how hard you try you can't bend your boot at all forward, it's probably too stiff.

A lot of people find it helpful to use their hands as a cue. Try to keep them in front of you the whole time and always in your line of sight. If you feel like you're back already, try to stand up and reach forward as you do it to plant your pole as you begin your next turn.

Standing up can be important if you feel like you're getting squatty. If your knee is really bent, more than your other joints (how people usually get back) then it's hard to bend your ankle (which moves you forward). Letting your legs bend as you come toward the end of the turn is fine but they have to open again so you can bend your ankle as you begin your next turn.

As you ski faster and on more steep terrain, though, you have to keep in mind that your skis move faster than you do (because they travel a longer distance down the hill). So it's kind of a race. You have to project your body in your intended direction of travel or else your skis will win that race.

The ankles are key.

Thanks for the tips. I'll try to keep it all in mind this season. I know I've constantly been in the back-seat too much because my thighs have a tendency to hate me.

resident
Dec 22, 2005

HookShot posted:

No, there's actually an amazingly good chance they didn't send your pass out because Vail. This happens literally every year, if you don't get it do as Sprowzek says and go to the window on your first day.

If that's opening day or anywhere near opening day, be prepared to wait a while though. The lineups from people who had to physically collect their passes because of Vail's fuckups here are always 2-3 hours long on the first few days.

It came! Opening day crisis averted.

Disinterested
Jun 29, 2011

Wistful of Dollars posted:

Thanks for the tips. I'll try to keep it all in mind this season. I know I've constantly been in the back-seat too much because my thighs have a tendency to hate me.

If you like to see it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vBR2e_4kJlU
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VDKdkCJbia4
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=awIQtSrsPxI
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I56oB0SRaSM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L_Xp7zVHnP0

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Thanks!

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL
Anyone have experience with gentemstick snowboards?

I want a fun carving board and was looking at the Barracuda HP, but I don't know what the operative difference is between non-hp and HP besides the narrower waist width on the newer HPs

LostCosmonaut
Feb 15, 2014

In case anybody else here skies Whiteface, they're adding a new double black glade;

Should be a nice spot.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Google flights flagged me for a round trip to durango for $244, killer deal but of course I have a work meeting that week. :negative:

bringer
Oct 16, 2005

I'm out there Jerry and I'm LOVING EVERY MINUTE OF IT

Math You posted:

Castlegar airport manages a 50% flight cancellation rate during the winter. It's Cancelgar.

It's a bit more work but flying into Trail is the way to go, especially if you're going to Red. Rossland is just up the road from Trail and their airport doesn't shut down nearly as often. The complicating factor is no major airlines fly into Trail so you have to pick up your luggage in Vancouver and move to a separate terminal, where all the charter flights take off from. The nice thing is the plane is tiny and the flight is short and the Trail airport is so small and chill you'll probably just have your luggage handed to you directly.

Moot .1415926535
Mar 24, 2006

big crush on Chad OMG posted:

Google flights flagged me for a round trip to durango for $244, killer deal but of course I have a work meeting that week. :negative:

Telluride Express is now doing shared rides from DRO to Telluride if you see another cheap fare pop up.

Tenchrono
Jun 2, 2011

Can any CO goons recommend eldora for learning how to ski? I live in Louisville so its only an hour or so away (depending on boulder canyon).

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Moot .1415926535 posted:

Telluride Express is now doing shared rides from DRO to Telluride if you see another cheap fare pop up.

Naturally it’s back up to $500+ today. I’ll probably fly into ABQ and drive up, my dad is still near Durango so free lodging!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

FAT CURES MUSCLES posted:

Can any CO goons recommend eldora for learning how to ski? I live in Louisville so its only an hour or so away (depending on boulder canyon).

Go to winter park