Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

The X-Men are back! Again! This time springing from the mind of Jonathan "New Charts and Languages in everything I write" Hickman.

House of X and Powers of X have left the Marvel Universe completely changed in regards to the hierarchy of Mutants in society. The landscape has been set and now it's time to flesh it out. The first wave of titles in the Dawn of X line are as follows:

X-Men

Writer: Jonathan Hickman
Artist: Leinil Yu
The X-Men find themselves in a whole new world of possibility… and things have never been better! Jonathan Hickman and superstar artist Leinil Yu reveal the saga of Cyclops and his hand-picked squad of mutant powerhouses!

Excalibur

Writer: Tini Howard
Artist: Marcus To
The Otherworld is rocked by war! It is a new era for mutantkind as a new Captain Britain holds the amulet, fighting for the Kingdom of Avalon with her Excalibur at her side – Rogue, Gambit, Rictor, Jubilee… and Apocalypse.

Maruders

Writer: Gerry Duggan
Artist: Matteo Lolli
Even in this glorious new dawn, Mutantkind faces hardships and oppression from their human counterparts. Led by Captain Kate Pryde and funded by Emma Frost and the Hellfire Trading Company, Marauders Storm, Pyro, Bishop and Iceman sail the seas of the world to protect those hated and feared!

Fallen Angels

Writer: Bryan Edward Hill
Artist: Szymon Kudranski
Mutantkind’s newfound place in the world doesn’t account for every mutant…not all belong in paradise. Psylocke is joined by Cable and X-23 on a mission of revenge that could jeopardize all of mutant existence!

New Mutants

Writer: Jonathan Hickman & Ed Brisson
Artist: Rod Reiss
The classic New Mutants (Sunspot, Wolfsbane, Mirage, Karma, Magik, and Cypher) get together with a few new friends in Chamber and Mondo. They’re the next generation of mutants and they’re ready to claim their future now...so what better way to do that than a mission to the stars alongside the Starjammers!?

X-Force

Writer: Benjamin Percy
Artist: Joshua Cassara
X-Force is the CIA of the mutant world—one half intelligence branch, one half special ops. Beast, Jean Grey and Sage on one side, Wolverine, Kid Omega and Domino on the other. In a perfect world, there would be no need for an X-Force. We’re not there… yet.

Hickman has assured this is a long term story and there are more books to come.

X-O fucked around with this message at 18:19 on Oct 29, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

A smile better suits a hero

Early reports indicate that X-Men are good again.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

rantmo posted:

Early reports indicate that X-Men are good again.

big, if true

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Could someone possibly say who the new writers are for some of those series? I don't know if I should be picking up Fallen Angels, Excalibur, or X-Force. Those are the three I haven't subscribed to since I don't know those authors off the top of my head.

EDIT: We also know about Zdarsky's X4 comic coming out.

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

A smile better suits a hero

Tini Howard is real loving good, she wrote the Thanos mini-series that wrapped recently, she's writing Strikeforce which thus far has been rad as hell, and the Death's Head mini which, see above. She hasn't done a ton with Marvel yet but I have loved everything she's written so far.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Tini Howard is awesome. Everything I've read by her is great.

Some people don't like Percy because of his run on Teen Titans I think but on the other hand he wrote Green Arrow which was the consistently best Rebirth book until he left the book.

I got nothing for Hill. Just not familiar.

EDIT: Oh poo poo, Hill wrote the Killmonger mini. Yeah that was good.

X-O fucked around with this message at 19:30 on Oct 29, 2019

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
There's also a Wolverine solo title coming by writer Benjamin Percy and artists Adam Kubert and Viktor Bogdonavic, and a Moira one too, I don't think it's been announced whose working on it yet.

Abroham Lincoln
Sep 19, 2011

Note to self: This one's the good one

But what happened in the 6th life of this thread?!

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Abroham Lincoln posted:

But what happened in the 6th life of this thread?!

It went on for a millenia longer than necessary.

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

Does Logan still have those "hot claws"? When did he steal powers from Pete Wisdom?

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
I think i read last thread that that was actually phoenix logan just showing up to troll everyone

wielder
Feb 16, 2008

"You had best not do that, Avatar!"
Benjamin Percy also wrote a very good Wolverine podcast. He does get the character.

https://www.wolverinepodcast.com/

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
So I'm not sold right away on Excalibur. I like the cast but not sure I'll be interested enough in the story to keep it up. I'll ride out the initial arc though and see how I feel.

Sidenote: when did Betsy get her old body back and how? I assume current "psylocke" is kwannon in her original body and Betsy being the new Britain is a way to keep both around.

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

Kingtheninja posted:

So I'm not sold right away on Excalibur. I like the cast but not sure I'll be interested enough in the story to keep it up. I'll ride out the initial arc though and see how I feel.

Sidenote: when did Betsy get her old body back and how? I assume current "psylocke" is kwannon in her original body and Betsy being the new Britain is a way to keep both around.

I believe it was during Hunt for Wolverine : Mystery in Madripoor. I read it but I can't remember how it happened.

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

Cloks posted:

I read it but I can't remember how it happened.

A hallmark of a great story.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition

Kingtheninja posted:

In the last issue of the Hunt for Wolverine: Mystery in Madripoor miniseries, Betsy got ganked by noted psychic vampire and Wolverine villain Sapphire Styx. Instead of dying, she ended up as a sort of psychic ghost inside Styx's mindscape, where she gathered her strength and used Styx's powers to rebuild a new body for herself. That turned out to be her original-mode body, although she retains the telekinesis that she inexplicably ended up with thanks to Claremont.

Adept Nightingale
Feb 7, 2005

I am, if nothing else, extremely sold on Apocalypse's insistence to be referred to as the Artist Formerly Known As. I've got no idea what's going on with Otherworld, I've never followed that end of Marvel, but this was an entertaining read.

Starsnostars
Jan 17, 2009

The Master of Magnetism
Jamie Braddock seems like he would get on very well with Sinister.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

You do have to appreciate their commitment to bringing back everyone, if they bothered to resurrect the insane reality warper who's never done a good thing in his life.

Laughing Zealot
Oct 10, 2012

I had to check Wikipedia since I had no idea who he was and just seeing the picture of him there made me think it's a bad idea to resurrect him.

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

Wanderer posted:

In the last issue of the Hunt for Wolverine: Mystery in Madripoor miniseries, Betsy got ganked by noted psychic vampire and Wolverine villain Sapphire Styx. Instead of dying, she ended up as a sort of psychic ghost inside Styx's mindscape, where she gathered her strength the focused totality of her psychic powers and used Styx's powers to rebuild a new body for herself. That turned out to be her original-mode body, although she retains the telekinesis that she inexplicably ended up with thanks to Claremont.

Fixed that for you.

Starsnostars
Jan 17, 2009

The Master of Magnetism
Is Meggan Braddock a mutant? I thought she was but she seemed like she wasn't going to Krakoa?

Adept Nightingale
Feb 7, 2005

She's married to Brian, who isn't a mutant, so I imagine that's why she isn't relocating.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

Starsnostars posted:

Is Meggan Braddock a mutant? I thought she was but she seemed like she wasn't going to Krakoa?

I don't think they've ever explicitly said whether she is or not, but she had her powers from birth.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Meggan is a fae, not a mutant. And this would be a good time to rescue my explanation of how Betsy got her original body back for the third time but someone already basically got it.

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

Wanderer posted:

I don't think they've ever explicitly said whether she is or not, but she had her powers from birth.

Her wiki is unclear whether she has the x-gene or not. I was always under the impression that she got her powers from being a fairy person or something.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters

Jiro posted:

Does Logan still have those "hot claws"? When did he steal powers from Pete Wisdom?

Nevvy Z posted:

I think i read last thread that that was actually phoenix logan just showing up to troll everyone

No, Wolverine (the present-day Wolverine) had HOT CLAWS in Soule's Return of Wolverine mini-series, I think that's their only real appearance.

quote:

Persephone hints that Wolverine's hot claws are a side effect of his resurrection. Because she effectively turbo-charged Logan's dormant healing factor when she resurrected him, that added energy has begun manifesting as heat. The catch is that, because the hot claws draw power from Logan's healing factor, they reduce his ability to heal while active. They make him more deadly, but also more vulnerable to harm.

https://twitter.com/CharlesSoule/status/1098293626780545024

This, as opposed to Pete Wisdom having "hot knives" as a mutant power because Ellis though it would be funny to work a drug joke into his Excalibur run.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
Excalibur is interesting and good. I'm a little surprised at -[/x]x[[x]-'s fascination towards magic; was it ever a thing with him before? I can't remember the last time he said or did anything particularly sorcerous.

Akkaba is a familiar name, though...

I continue to be unimpressed with Krakoan propaganda and how writers have been handling it. "We never had to run from man." You are literally, right now, running from man. At least Rogue and Gambit don't seem to be so completely drunk on the kool-aid.

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
Part of me wonders if Apocalypse's revived interest in sorcery is born from the knowledge that eventually mutantkind's ultimate enemy is mankind's ability to render them irrelevant via technology, but I think only Moira, Xavier, and Magneto know about that?

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3

BrianWilly posted:

Excalibur is interesting and good. I'm a little surprised at -[/x]x[[x]-'s fascination towards magic; was it ever a thing with him before? I can't remember the last time he said or did anything particularly sorcerous.

Akkaba is a familiar name, though...

I continue to be unimpressed with Krakoan propaganda and how writers have been handling it. "We never had to run from man." You are literally, right now, running from man. At least Rogue and Gambit don't seem to be so completely drunk on the kool-aid.

The Mutant Formerly Known as Apocalyse.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
I think akkaba is the other half of krakoa?

Sandwolf
Jan 23, 2007

i'll be harpo

As someone who spent a chunk of their morning on the wiki, Akkaba is a sect devoted to returning Apocalypse to life after he died and was replaced by Archangel.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Akkaba is the town where Apocalypse was born.

Clan Akkaba is the group mentioned above.

Starsnostars
Jan 17, 2009

The Master of Magnetism
I remember Clan Akkaba as the ones who turned Chamber into a mini Apocalypse.

sticksy
May 26, 2004
Nap Ghost
ETA on a TPB of House/Powers of X so I can get into all this cool-looking new stuff??

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

I don't know if Tini Howard is really as good as I think she is or maybe she's just really on the same wavelength with me when it comes to comics because Excalibur was my favorite X book in forever and it even had Gambit in it who I normally don't care for.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

sticksy posted:

ETA on a TPB of House/Powers of X so I can get into all this cool-looking new stuff??

Hardcover is Christmas Eve.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

$50 because it’s twelve huge rear end issues. I have all the singles, but I kind of want to splurge on a Christmas present for myself.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

It’s $42 on Amazon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

kinda vOv on Excalibur because it's a whole bunch of people I really dont care about I guess.

apart from -=xXxAxX=- going around all half-shirted.