Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
:patriot:
I know who J Davies is, but who's J Davies?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Apollodorus posted:

I know who J Davies is, but who's J Davies?

That J Davies's younger brother J Davies (Jonathan and James)

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
But which is which? Are they going to have a Ja Davies and Jo Davies or something? So confused.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Apollodorus posted:

But which is which? Are they going to have a Ja Davies and Jo Davies or something? So confused.

Jonathan Davies is the centre and James Davies is the flanker. Jonathan Davies, the older brother has the nickname 'foxy' and as the younger brother James Davies was given the nickname 'cubbi boi' if that helps.

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT

bessantj posted:

'foxy' and 'cubbi boi'

very helpful thank you

el dingo
Mar 19, 2009

Ogres are like onions
Posting on the nice page for my cubbi boi

lenoon
Jan 7, 2010

On the dances, it’s just plain good sportspersonship really, when people bring their cultures and their traditions to rugby we should be respectful of it.

I do miss the old Haka though. And if you want to be really intimidated by a Haka, check out the NZ women at the 2017 World Cup. loving terrifying.

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

IT CAN'T BE BARGAINED WITH.
IT CAN'T BE REASONED WITH.
IT DOESN'T FEEL PITY, OR REMORSE, OR FEAR.
AND IT ABSOLUTELY WILL NOT STOP, EVER, UNTIL YOU ADMIT YOU'RE WRONG ABOUT WARHAMMER
Clapping Larry

lenoon posted:

On the dances, it’s just plain good sportspersonship really, when people bring their cultures and their traditions to rugby we should be respectful of it.

I do miss the old Haka though. And if you want to be really intimidated by a Haka, check out the NZ women at the 2017 World Cup. loving terrifying.

What changed? Was it a rule change?

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

ALL ABOARD THE SCOTLAND HYPE TRAIN!

CHOO CHOO
No, they just refresh the moves periodically

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Different dances mean different things, they changed their message.

Flayer
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Buglord
How long do you think the All Blacks practice different versions of the Haka? Maybe if they spent more time practicing rugby instead of dance moves they wouldn't have got thrashed by England :thunk:

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

"Science is not only compatible with spirituality; it is a profound source of spirituality."

-Carl Sagan

Flayer posted:

How long do you think the All Blacks practice different versions of the Haka? Maybe if they spent more time practicing rugby instead of dance moves they wouldn't have got thrashed by England :thunk:

Now there’s a spicy keychain.

I like the Haka, and the fact that it changes is pretty cool. I will admit the throat slash from the 2015 cup was a little more intimidating than the “toss trash over my shoulder” move but still very entertaining.

stavros880
May 2, 2005
I like monkeys

Kitchner posted:

What changed? Was it a rule change?

The original haka used by the All Blacks was a traditional one from a Maori tribe (is tribe the right word ?). There was an argument about ownership, so they created a new one just for themselves that they can trademark and stop other people using commercially.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

stavros880 posted:

The original haka used by the All Blacks was a traditional one from a Maori tribe (is tribe the right word ?). There was an argument about ownership, so they created a new one just for themselves that they can trademark and stop other people using commercially.

Except not this at all. It was an indigenous group that were trying to trademark it but they were unable to prove they had written it as it had been performed all over the island.

The All Black's are still performing Ka Mate last year, same one they did in 1905. The other one they do, Kapa o Pango, was introduced in 2005 and they just mix it up a bit. In 2018 they did Ka Mate 8 times and Kapa o Pango 5 times.

If you're interested Ka Mate has a 90% WR and Kapa o Pango only 85%.

Kapa o Pango was created to be more rugby specific.

Aramoro fucked around with this message at 18:06 on Oct 30, 2019

bigfoot again
Apr 24, 2007

Kitchner posted:

The best UK paper is by and far the Financial Times because the people who read that don't need people to tell them opinions, they need to be told facts in order to make money. Very little to no rugby coverage though as it traditionally has little impact on commodity trading.

After that the Guardian is OK but full of sanctimonious wankers, more likely to write about how the Haka is cultural appropriate by white settlers by some crazy author who's great grandad was maori our something. The Times is OK, but clearly right wing.

The, let's face it, English, tabloids are all a cancer on this society though. The only silver lining is that Rupert Murdoch is broadly losing money on them so they make him slightly poorer.

The Times is a Murdoch paper, my dude.

Also the vast majority of English fans, cunts though we may be, think the haka is awesome

Raffles
Dec 7, 2004

I honestly haven't seen one English person on the media or otherwise say that they don't like the haka.

I've seen a lot going on about how the V formation was this incredible gesture, which I don't really get, but yeah nothing really negative about the haka.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

I think my mass effect is broken

bessantj posted:

Jonathan Davies is the centre and James Davies is the flanker. Jonathan Davies, the older brother has the nickname 'foxy' and as the younger brother James Davies was given the nickname 'cubbi boi' if that helps.

So who are "bear," "twink" and "otter?"

Tyma
Dec 22, 2004

Chwyldro Dawnsio Dawns
Annual reminder that Rhys Priestland still owes James Davies £1,000 and that James Davies has brought his fact to the attention of the queen.

https://www.walesonline.co.uk/sport/rugby/rugby-news/full-story-james-davies-knuckle-14388019

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

CHOO CHOO

Raffles posted:

I've seen a lot going on about how the V formation was this incredible gesture, which I don't really get, but yeah nothing really negative about the haka.

Yeah, this bit was mystifying. But whatever, it seemed to be generally well received

bigfoot again
Apr 24, 2007

Raffles posted:

I honestly haven't seen one English person on the media or otherwise say that they don't like the haka.

Gary Lineker tweeted something foolish but he was swiftly told to gently caress off

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

If you're not striving to improve, you'll end up going backwards.

Raffles
Dec 7, 2004

bigfoot again posted:

Gary Lineker tweeted something foolish but he was swiftly told to gently caress off

ah fair enough, lineker is a prick. surprised he's not been #metoo'd yet considering some of the poo poo you hear about him.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
It's all to avoid repeats of the time when they stood right up in their face and looked like they might kiss.

Tyma
Dec 22, 2004

Chwyldro Dawnsio Dawns

Raffles posted:

nothing really negative about the haka.

I've read a few really dumb arguments, usually along the lines of :

"It gives some countries an unfair advantage at the start of the game, as they get to warm up for 30 seconds, while their opponents have to stand and observe"

or

"It's just a showy gimmick to sell extra tickets for New Zealand games, and to make sure that World Rugby will always bend over backwards to make sure they're always the number one team in the world."

Of course, this obviously ignores the fact that hundreds of teams choose to perform a Haka, but the people making these arguments aren't exactly the kind of people who would ever watch a match involving Tonga. They probably still go to matches and mark out when they get to see a Haka performed in person, because it's still a cool, unique thing that we can only get to experience via Rugby.

Both teams are also allotted broadcast time before or after the National Anthems, in which to perform "whatever they want". Ireland usually use this time to sing a second National Anthem, and almost all teams will use it in event that they wish to hold a minute's silence. Sometimes teams will just unexpectedly perform their own Haka, and the entire crowd will lose their collective poo poo :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=13fGHSqHTwA

MyChemicalImbalance
Sep 15, 2007

Keep on smilin'

:unsmith:
Best haka
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=htCTWZqCMhQ

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

CHOO CHOO

Lol

Plucky Brit
Nov 7, 2009

Swing low, sweet chariot
I was going to post that. When did the haka at rugby matches become the more authentic one we know today?

The Rabbi T. White
Jul 17, 2008

Plucky Brit posted:

I was going to post that. When did the haka at rugby matches become the more authentic one we know today?

Around the early 90s when Buck Shelford took over the captaincy.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Vagabundo posted:

So who are "bear," "twink" and "otter?"

I don't get it.

1000 Brown M and Ms
Oct 22, 2008

F:\DL>quickfli 4-clowns.fli

stavros880 posted:

Maori tribe (is tribe the right word ?)

Yes, although these days you'd use 'iwi' which is the Maori word for tribe.

The Rabbi T. White posted:

Around the early 90s when Buck Shelford took over the captaincy.

I think that was also around the time that the haka began being performed at every ABs game, not just some away games.

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

"Science is not only compatible with spirituality; it is a profound source of spirituality."

-Carl Sagan
I’ve decided that TMO sucks and it should go away. I’m watching baseball and they just did a TMO challenge for a loving tag out because the runner might have come off the base for a tenth of a second. When the TMO nickels and dimes like this, it’s just so stupid and it drags the game down, regardless of what game it is. Can anyone tell me good arguments for TMO? The one solid argument I see is catching sneaky but dangerous or outright foul play.

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
Not gonna lie the 1998 ALCS kept me awake at night wishing there were a video ref in baseball because dammit KNOBLAUCH DID NOT MAKE THAT TAG HE WAS OFF BY TWO WHOLE FEET.

edit: I was 13 at the time and it STILL pisses me off, loving Yankees

1000 Brown M and Ms
Oct 22, 2008

F:\DL>quickfli 4-clowns.fli

sephiRoth IRA posted:

The one solid argument I see is catching sneaky but dangerous or outright foul play.

I think that by itself is a good enough reason to have a TMO. Unfortunately, the problem then becomes how to implement it best to catch as much as possible without slowing the game down too much. Ice hockey (or at least the NHL) has a system where only certain types of plays/fouls are reviewable which is a decent start, but there's still plenty of controversies around it.

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
OH and the lovely karate chop A-Rod did in 2004, he was called out because one of the assistant umps saw it, but it was controversial because baseball didn't have video ref at the time.

Also, the ref missed Zidane's headbutt in the 2006 FIFA WC final and gave him a red on the basis of the video replay shown on the stadium screen, which was technically against the rules (I mean I personally think Zidane should have been awarded the Ballon d'Or for it but I guess that's why I don't make the soccer rules)

sleep with the vicious
Apr 2, 2010
Teams are out: England's only change is Will Spencer for Heinz as bench scrum-half. For SA, it's Kolbe in on the wing and Nkosi out.

I rewatched NZ vs England tonight to see it without the craziness of the moment. On second view, it's more clear that it's a case of England playing incredible and NZ not being able to get a foothold back in the game, and not NZ being bad or needing radical changes. Rugby games are built on moments, and things like Reece's turnover after his intercept and Jordie Barrett's attempted offload in his own 22 were mistakes that directly gave up points and territory. At 60 mins NZ were down by 6 and could have found a way but England smothered them and they couldn't get back in.

Edit: and Sam Whitelock reversing a penalty by smacking Farrell in the 66th minute when they had a penalty that would have put them within 6. Sometimes it's not your day. But that's a good signal of England getting in their heads. I don't see SA falling that way.

I think SA's tactical kicking is strong enough that they should be able to stay in tight, and their tackling pressure can probably keep England from running as rampant as they did in the semi. Could see Kolbe being able to cause some chaos and create some opportunities that NZ wasn't able to.

Cheering for the Boks but I have to think England are the favourites based on that performance. Of course in rugby for whatever reasons it's difficult for international teams to have back-to-back performances like this.

sleep with the vicious fucked around with this message at 04:39 on Oct 31, 2019

Paul.Power
Feb 7, 2009

The three roles of APCs:
Transports.
Supply trucks.
Distractions.

Tyma posted:

because it's still a cool, unique thing that we can only get to experience via Rugby.
Now I'm imagining the New Zealand cricket team performing the haka. Including Kane Williamson performing a very precise, elegant and technical version, and Neil Wagner getting really into it.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

I believe in all the ways that they say you can lose your body
Fallen Rib
Glad Kolbe is back but doubt he is going to see any ball in the game.

Troy Queef
Jan 12, 2013

Madkal posted:

Glad Kolbe is back but doubt he is going to see any ball in the game.

by the way, his lineup:

Backs: W. le Roux; C. Kolbe, L. Am, D. de Allende, M. Mapimpi; H. Pollard; F. de Klerk
Forwards: T. Mtawarira, M. Mbonambi, F. Malherbe; E. Etzebeth, L. de Jager; P. S. du Toit, S. Kolisi (capt), D. Vermuelen
Subs: S. Kitshoff, M. Marx, V. Koch, R. G. Snyman, F. Mostert, F. Louw, H. Jantjies, F. Steyn

bit interesting he didn't put Willemse or Nkosi in as cover if Kolbe's still hurt.

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

IT CAN'T BE BARGAINED WITH.
IT CAN'T BE REASONED WITH.
IT DOESN'T FEEL PITY, OR REMORSE, OR FEAR.
AND IT ABSOLUTELY WILL NOT STOP, EVER, UNTIL YOU ADMIT YOU'RE WRONG ABOUT WARHAMMER
Clapping Larry

sephiRoth IRA posted:

I’ve decided that TMO sucks and it should go away. I’m watching baseball and they just did a TMO challenge for a loving tag out because the runner might have come off the base for a tenth of a second. When the TMO nickels and dimes like this, it’s just so stupid and it drags the game down, regardless of what game it is. Can anyone tell me good arguments for TMO? The one solid argument I see is catching sneaky but dangerous or outright foul play.

If you've never watched a game of football (soccer) and seen the referee blow their whistle and make a call for a match changing penalty or something, which when you watch a replay is very clearly the wrong call, you see the value of the TMO.

Ultimately in most games the TMO shouldn't be necessary. In most games the referee and the linesmen should see the actions that are rule breaking and between the three of them should know what happened. When it's not clear though, having the TMO be able to be consulted and go back to re-watch the footage is important.

Sure if the TMO is used to call out every minor infraction the game will grind to a hault, but it's clear this generally isn't what happens, as games can see marginal forward passes, ruck shenanigans, scrum collapsing, all that kind of stuff which isn't stopping the game every 5 minutes.

I like the fact if there is a really, really contentious call the referee can basically rewatch the video and potentially change their mind. If the ref doesn't do so, at least you know they are poo poo and just not mistaken.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

-Carl Sagan

Kitchner posted:

Sure if the TMO is used to call out every minor infraction the game will grind to a hault, but it's clear this generally isn't what happens, as games can see marginal forward passes, ruck shenanigans, scrum collapsing, all that kind of stuff which isn't stopping the game every 5 minutes.

I guess I will agree that the TMO isn’t being overused in the RWC, but I will argue that when it is used it is 100% a momentum killer, especially with regards to hits. A team can be on a tear, have a marginally questionable tackle that results in no injuries, and have the TMO just murder their progress with a silly penalty. We’ve already seen this happen. I guess I want the TMO there for the serious stuff, but I’d much rather it be play on most of the time.