Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

weekly font posted:

This is made explicit in Part 4. But really why is the town still selling this mask?

The 80s and early 90s were a little different than the world we live in today. You're talking about the time when I was able to walk into a comic book store as a kid and buy serial killer trading cards.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!
Maybe what we should really be taking away from all this is that Ben Tramer, like Michael Myers, picked out a mask at the last second the day before Halloween and got stuck with the least popular mask in town.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

Neo Rasa posted:

The 80s and early 90s were a little different than the world we live in today. You're talking about the time when I was able to walk into a comic book store as a kid and buy serial killer trading cards.

I dunno they banned lawn darts after one kid got hurt. Yeah my mom basically booted me out of the house to go trick or treating at night and all Americans didn't have some level of PTSD, but reactionaries always existed.

Also I think the horror thread should be the Ben Tramer Memorial Thread for Halloween this year. :colbert:

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
Halloween 2 was shot by Cundey so yea, don't be quick to dismiss it. Most of it's flaws are easily overlooked because you've got Pleasence, Jamie Lee, and Cundey on cinematography.

OpenSourceBurger
Sep 25, 2019
Best part of Final Friday is the very concept of a popular restaurant based on a serial killer, complete with burgers in the shape of the killers face.

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

Neo Rasa posted:

I'll always go to bat for the 1981 Halloween 2. It'd be legit good if it didn't have such a weirdly rushed third act that completely falls apart, it feels unfinished, and I think Laurie being his sister wouldn't come to be such a hated thing if the back half of the movie and the way it was revealed was done better. Instead there's that insanely stupid looking flashback, and then different characters all learn about this, and then it gets brought up again like it's new information an extra time, it's handled really badly.

The first like 15 minutes or so of the movie fuckin' rules though as does stuff the hilarity of how completely loving turbo owned Ben Tramer gets vs. how much they're just like "whelp!" afterwards. But the script is kind of all over the place with that with characters going back and forth from being indifferent or not.

But the individual kills are well done, and the movie has a great streak of dark humor running through it that I appreciate right from the get go with Loomis practically being cut off in mid-rant for the credits. The slipping in blood, etc.

It also falls apart as it goes on though because it's really well shot for the most part until the we get towards the end.

So like obviously it's dogshit compared to the original but it's a perfectly good slasher with some above average moments and Donald Pleasance, so I'll never get the hate.

Also I know we've talked about it in here before but drat that intro and the version of the theme in it, and the way the pumpkin blooms into a distorted skull? Scared the poo poo out of me as a little kid :perfect:

I always assumed the same, like especially right after the credits when we first get him stalking around? It's for real tensely done.

This basically matches my analysis that it’s a fun slasher but pales in comparison to the original.

I will also say that in addition to the flashback/dream sequence being stupid as gently caress, I also really didn’t need to see that Michael went into a school and wrote SAMHAIN on a chalkboard in blood. That is nearly as dumb as the flashbacks and plays a part in Myers being less scary in 2 vs. the original.

My third favorite part in 2 after Ben Tramer and the opening credits is when Michael just loving walks through the glass door to the hospital towards the end.

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived
Thinking about replacing my nightmare before christmas halloween annual rewatch with "ravenous" because it's a true gem that was criminally slept on.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Speaking of this, since everyone here appreciates a good Italian grindhouse ripoff of other movies, it wasn't until maybe a year ago or so that I realized Absurd is (besides being a loose sequel to Anthropophagus) basically the Italian knockoff of Halloween II. It explains why I have so much fun with that movie too, plus it has the "NO HUMANS EVER ACT LIKE THIS" localization issues I love like everyone getting dressed in like tuxedos and fancy dresses to watch THE BIG AMERICAN FOOTBALL GAME at someone's house.

Irony.or.Death
Apr 1, 2009

zer0spunk posted:

Thinking about replacing my nightmare before christmas halloween annual rewatch with "ravenous" because it's a true gem that was criminally slept on.

watching Ravenous is always the right call

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

zer0spunk posted:

NBC is a Christmas movie not a Halloween movie and anyone who says it is both is a POSER.

OpenSourceBurger
Sep 25, 2019

Kvlt! posted:

NBC is a Christmas movie not a Halloween movie and anyone who says it is both is a POSER.

Oogie's song is an essential Halloween bop soooo

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

OpenSourceBurger posted:

Oogie's song is an essential Halloween bop soooo

it's amazing how posers just out themselves like this with no shame

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
I saw the Nightmare Before Christmas once, it was ok.

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
The Monster Mash is very obviously the quintessential Halloween song. It’s a graveyard smash!

Blast Fantasto fucked around with this message at 17:42 on Oct 30, 2019

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

Neo Rasa posted:

Speaking of this, since everyone here appreciates a good Italian grindhouse ripoff of other movies, it wasn't until maybe a year ago or so that I realized Absurd is (besides being a loose sequel to Anthropophagus) basically the Italian knockoff of Halloween II.

Oh hey, thanks for reminding me that I own Absurd on blu ray and still haven't watched it. I think watching Anthropophagus and being totally underwhelmed made me lose interest.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

unfun fact: there's a far-right nationalist black metal band called Absurd named after the movie one of whose members murdered a 15 year old

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

NBC is actually a Thanksgiving movie. The best time to watch it is after Halloween before the first snowfall.

Gaz2k21
Sep 1, 2006

MEGALA---WHO??!!??

Kvlt! posted:

I consider it a transitional movie personally....and to think of it we could do with more transitional Halloween/Xmas movies.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Vince MechMahon posted:

NBC is actually a Thanksgiving movie. The best time to watch it is after Halloween before the first snowfall.

:lol: they're predicting snow flurries on Halloween night here

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Iron Crowned posted:

:lol: they're predicting snow flurries on Halloween night here

Then watch it at midnight, boom, done.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

Kvlt! posted:

unfun fact: there's a far-right nationalist black metal band called Absurd named after the movie one of whose members murdered a 15 year old

You're just trying to make me stretch this out as long as possible now. Might not get around to watching it now until next Halloween season when, hopefully, I'll forget all about that little factoid.

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

Blast Fantasto posted:

The Monster Mash is very obviously the quintessential Halloween song. It’s a graveyard smash!

yeah, but ...

okay is this a song about fuckin' is all i wanna know

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

King Vidiot posted:

You're just trying to make me stretch this out as long as possible now. Might not get around to watching it now until next Halloween season when, hopefully, I'll forget all about that little factoid.

to be fair the movie itself has nothing to do with any of the bad stuff

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Tart Kitty posted:

yeah, but ...

All the monsters wanted to touch his electrode, of course it's about fuckin'

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

Tart Kitty posted:

yeah, but ...

Those creatures sucked and hosed!

I'm guessing it's cause it's anime but holy poo poo Perfect Blue doesn't get talked about enough as a hell of a spook-a-doodle. Probably a great double feature with Mulholland Drive.

Vince MechMahon posted:

It and Black Swan are a really good double feature.

oh poo poo yeah

weekly font fucked around with this message at 18:12 on Oct 30, 2019

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Perfect Blue is soooooooo good

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

weekly font posted:

I'm guessing it's cause it's anime but holy poo poo Perfect Blue is a hell of a spook-a-doodle. Probably a great double feature with Mulholland Drive.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Vince MechMahon posted:

Nah Black Swan is such a lovely rip off (I know Aronofsky bought the rights just so he could re-create scenes). Don't let Black Swan leave a bad taste in your mouth after watching the masterpiece that is Perfect Blue.

weekly font posted:

Probably a great double feature with Mulholland Drive.

This is a much better double feature suggestion

Gaz2k21
Sep 1, 2006

MEGALA---WHO??!!??
Just as a heads up( and I don’t know why the NBC chat made me think of this) but apparently Christmas Evil is being re-released on Blu-Ray on December the 9th.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Gaz2k21 posted:

Just as a heads up( and I don’t know why the NBC chat made me think of this) but apparently Christmas Evil is being re-released on Blu-Ray on December the 9th.

By whom? The current Vinegar Syndrome is top notch

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

King Vidiot posted:

Oh hey, thanks for reminding me that I own Absurd on blu ray and still haven't watched it. I think watching Anthropophagus and being totally underwhelmed made me lose interest.

Oh yeah I still like Anthropophagus but Absurd is way better and has baller soundtrack too.

Kvlt! posted:

Suggest we use one of its alternate titles from now on, in various countries it's been released with titles such as Blood Red, Horrible, Anthropophagus 2, Monster Hunter, Grim Reaper 2, and...

...for real...

...Zombie 6.

Neo Rasa fucked around with this message at 18:38 on Oct 30, 2019

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord

Tart Kitty posted:

yeah, but ...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WH4sXVQ7a_w

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

RIP Scaroline

Gaz2k21
Sep 1, 2006

MEGALA---WHO??!!??

Iron Crowned posted:

By whom? The current Vinegar Syndrome is top notch

88 Films....

Probably should have mentioned this is in the UK

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

Neo Rasa posted:

Oh yeah I still like Anthropophagus but Absurd is way better and has baller soundtrack too.

Suggest we use one of its alternate titles from now on, in various countries it's been released with titles such as Blood Red, Horrible, Anthropophagus 2, Monster Hunter, Grim Reaper 2, and...

...for real...

...Zombie 6.

...and Demons 7
and Troll 4

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

weekly font posted:

RIP Scaroline

The two lines in this that always get me are

Frankenstein just JACKED OFF AND CRIED

and

Igor decided to gently caress HIS OWN DAD

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

DC's Swamp Thing?

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Gaz2k21 posted:

88 Films....

Probably should have mentioned this is in the UK

I have never heard of 88 Films.

Looks like the features match the VS release, but without screenshots I can't compare the transfers. Probably a good option if anyone doesn't want to have a Blu shipped from the states.

WescottF1
Oct 21, 2000
Forums Veteran

ruddiger posted:

The tv cut of The original Halloween had a ton of new footage added because they were trying to hype up the release of Halloween 2 and added scenes to the first to help bridge the continuity (Laurie’s relationship to Michael is established in the tv edit so it doesn’t come out of nowhere in the sequel).

Matt from Dinosaur Dracula did a write-up on it recently.

https://dinosaurdracula.com/blog/halloween-tv-premiere-1981/

In 2001 Best Buy carried a DVD version that was the uncensored theatrical version with the TV scenes edited in. Bonus item was a little commemorative piece with a couple of the original film frames in it. My wife looked through them and got me one with the frames being Michael standing in the doorway as the ghost.

That part is pretty cool because my first memory of Halloween as a kid was getting the HBO guide in the cable bill and the back cover being the "Coming Next Month..." ad for Halloween with that as the picture.

There are a couple on Ebay right now going for $155-$180 sealed with the film cell intact.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

Blast Fantasto posted:

The two lines in this that always get me are

Frankenstein just JACKED OFF AND CRIED

and

Igor decided to gently caress HIS OWN DAD

The only thing the Funny or Die video is missing is Scott Aukerman's incredulousness at the inclusion of Swamp Thing.

EL BROMANCE posted:

DC's Swamp Thing?

lol i missed this