Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Freaking Crumbum posted:

saw the 2nd ep of watchmen last night and it's not grabbing me. it feels like the second episode just created a ton more questions but didn't really do anything to move the story forward

there's a over-long flashback to explain an element of the main lady's backstory that she already clarified completely adequately by saying "i was a cop until i got shot on <MURDER_HOLIDAY> and now i retired" but i guess what we really needed was a 5 minute aside where it shows the events she just described, adding no new information along the way

also really bored with jeremy iron's creepy sex pest dude's B plot. dreading how they're going to tie in his plantation of cloned white slaves with the A plot in tulsa

The Virgin HBO Watchman vs the chad The Boys

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
In general, prestige TV and the meta-conversation breeds FOMO and a weird sense of alienation.

I still don't watch most shows that "everyone is talking about", but the FOMO effect turns me off a little from checking out TV shows that finished already.

I get the impression through osmosis that "the desired way" to consume the Game of Thrones show was to watch it at your hip friends' NYC apartment every week. If your consumption of a popular show isn't a social experience, you're doing it wrong.

I guess what I'm really saying is I can't wait for capitalism to end so pop culture as we know it ends.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

i saw Jojo Rabbit on saturday, it owns. it's like a WW2 period drama mixed with Mel Brooks-esque mockery of Nazis

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

None of the movies I want to watch come to Northwest Arkansas. :smith:

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
I do appreciate game of thrones relling me the end of the books so k donr have to wonder if there will ever be more

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I’m watching the art of self defense and it’s definitely CSPAM the movie

just instead of karate it’s posting

Farm Frenzy
Jan 3, 2007

Echo Chamber posted:

In general, prestige TV and the meta-conversation breeds FOMO and a weird sense of alienation.

I still don't watch most shows that "everyone is talking about", but the FOMO effect turns me off a little from checking out TV shows that finished already.

I get the impression through osmosis that "the desired way" to consume the Game of Thrones show was to watch it at your hip friends' NYC apartment every week. If your consumption of a popular show isn't a social experience, you're doing it wrong.

I guess what I'm really saying is I can't wait for capitalism to end so pop culture as we know it ends.

GOT started as a thing that people actually liked but it was definitely just a cultural event by the end and it backfired really bad and nobody likes any of it anymore

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

i remain impressed that the actual final season of game of thrones managed to be significantly dumber than the terrible spoilers leak that came out last year

heres a fun game for those of you who dont know how game of thrones ended can you guess which one of these is the made up ending and which is the actual ending

daenyrys is murdered in cold blood by jon snow after the wars over for being a genocidal maniac OR shes murdered by the evil pirate dude and he sets the corpse up outside so people can throw poo poo at it

gendry has sex with arya because theyre horny teenagers OR gendry and sansa get married for political reasons

bran gets killed by the zombies and reincarnates as the new night king at the seasons end OR bran is elected regular king because he has the most interesting story

the last dragon accidentally kills half the remaining cast by breathing fire on wizard dynamite OR the last dragon burns the physical iron throne and flies away

1, 1, 2, 2

Plank Walker
Aug 11, 2005
bran loving sucks and it's hilarious that his whole plotline was going on a magical vision quest to get a bunch of side characters killed so he could gain the power to idk see the past maybe? a power which had no effect at all on the plot and then tyrion's like "oh he's the three-eyed raven" and everyone in the council somehow knows what that even means

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

Plank Walker posted:

bran loving sucks and it's hilarious that his whole plotline was going on a magical vision quest to get a bunch of side characters killed so he could gain the power to idk see the past maybe? a power which had no effect at all on the plot and then tyrion's like "oh he's the three-eyed raven" and everyone in the council somehow knows what that even means

If Martin had written that exact same lovely ending, it'd at least have had undertones of religious conflict for an old god figure being installed to rule over all the new gods worshiping south, especially with his political base of support in the north becoming independent.

Cnidaria
Apr 10, 2009

It's all politics, Mike.

the entire white walker plot line ended up basically being pointless and was resolved in the stupidest way possible

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008

Cnidaria posted:

the entire white walker plot line ended up basically being pointless and was resolved in the stupidest way possible

That plot line was doomed the moment it got past the books because it's the most overtly supernatural stuff in the story. For whatever reason HBO decided that the right people to show run a fantasy series were two guys who hate fantasy.

Reverend Dr
Feb 9, 2005

Thanks Reverend

Plank Walker posted:

don't forget when bran hosed up hodor (thus making hodor) and also was the one that was controlling the mad king right before the kingslayer turned

bran was actually a huge negative on the whole world, but he just keeps that part to himself

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

This displeases Dev- ..van. Shut up.

Reverend Dr posted:

don't forget when bran hosed up hodor (thus making hodor) and also was the one that was controlling the mad king right before the kingslayer turned

bran was actually a huge negative on the whole world, but he just keeps that part to himself

My fave was that the constantly scheming lords went ahead and elected Bran who, to all outward appearances, appears to be brain damaged and distant, to keep them under control and Tyrion thought it was a super good idea.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
it turns out the solution to oppressive monarchy is to simply democratize it and elect the right monarch, who knew?

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

mysterious frankie posted:

My fave was that the constantly scheming lords went ahead and elected Bran who, to all outward appearances, appears to be brain damaged and distant, to keep them under control and Tyrion thought it was a super good idea.

extra funny because they thought they were electing Henry VI of England, but instead will probably get Paul Atreides

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008

Son of Thunderbeast posted:

it turns out the solution to oppressive monarchy is to simply democratize it and elect the right monarch, who knew?

well "democratize" it in as far as letting a handful of nobles elect the ruler, after actual democracy is laughed at

Reverend Dr
Feb 9, 2005

Thanks Reverend

The real curse of the white walkers was the neoliberalism they left in their wake

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Son of Thunderbeast posted:

After all, nothing bad ever happened to the Holy Roman Empire.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Me: I've been having a rough couple weeks, and I found a torrent of the idw dredd ongoing from a few years back, I'll read that, I like the writer, I love dredd, what could go wrong

The book:

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

The really incredible thing about Bran is that they all know he has powers of clairvoyance through warging, but none of them think to bring him down on the campaign to take King's Landing? Probably would've been good to have perfect reconnaissance when the iron fleet is out there somewhere, but that wouldn't be plot convenient because they gotta kill the dragon so Daenerys goes mad somehow.

Zerilan posted:

That plot line was doomed the moment it got past the books because it's the most overtly supernatural stuff in the story. For whatever reason HBO decided that the right people to show run a fantasy series were two guys who hate fantasy.

All the lore in the books hinted that the white walkers were social creatures and could've been willing to negotiate - so there could've been a conclusion based on compromise. Instead the white walkers just end up being monstermen with no apparent motive because they're never allowed to express themselves.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 246 days!
everything about the White Walkers screams potential that the show, based on what I've seen and heard, fails miserably to live up to

like giant loving ice spiders

i'd hold out hope for martin to do better in the books, especially since there's so much great satire in them (like america quarth, where the liberals will help you if you cry for them, the conversatives are ghouls who will suck your life right out of you, and the business class tyat really run the show are slave traders). he seems to have chosen a radical aging overweight fantasy author solidarity death pact with robert jordan instead though

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Hodgepodge posted:

i'd hold out hope for martin to do better in the books
lmao not happening

at least jordan was still making poo poo up till he died i think. grmm literally hasn't. there was an entire tv show that started adn finished and during that time he couldn't even put out one book while there was probably most motivation to do so to hurry up and not let it get ruined and in the pop culture sphere. the one book he did just before its launch was also lazy rear end

Ardent Communist
Oct 17, 2010

ALLAH! MU'AMMAR! LIBYA WA BAS!
Man, it sucks that the Netflix show Damnation got cancelled after one season. I've been re-watching it and it's pretty good. At first you think it's going to do that ole tripe that the strikers are just as bad as the industrialists, the main strike leader used to be a strikebreaker! But it turns it around and you realise he actually did have a change of faith, and they are really trying to inspire widespread revolt.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

Some Guy TT posted:

in more on topic news i have finally watched my third episode of rick and morty for the same reason i watched the first two i saw a meme and wanted to know the context behind it

season three episode ten is a surprisingly on point parody of obama but bears no obvious similarity to him aside from being black which im guessing is how dan harmon managed to avoid being murdered in his sleep

total rickall is the only actually good episode of rick and Morty. I don’t know what number it is. I think it’s season two

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Ardent Communist posted:

Man, it sucks that the Netflix show Damnation got cancelled after one season. I've been re-watching it and it's pretty good. At first you think it's going to do that ole tripe that the strikers are just as bad as the industrialists, the main strike leader used to be a strikebreaker! But it turns it around and you realise he actually did have a change of faith, and they are really trying to inspire widespread revolt.

Drop everything and watch Warrior right loving now.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=79rtcCnaeyo

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

If Warrior is half as cool & stupid as Banshee then I'm in.

Maduo
Sep 8, 2006

You see all the colors.
All of them.

Reverend Dr posted:

Bran is basically the barron trump 5d chess meme but with no self-awareness or irony

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"
The worst part of song of ice and fire is the fantasy parts so it's good to excise it.

It's just the the showrunners' writing is awful.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

If Warrior is half as cool & stupid as Banshee then I'm in.

It's a show about a Chinese immigrant fresh off the boat in late 1800s California, based off the writings of the late Bruce Lee.

It may actually be the greatest show on television, and pulls absolutely zero loving punches.

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
Succ Zone got into a 24 tangent, so...

I was super big into that show in my high school and college days. Watched every season as it aired. I knew, even at the time, that the show's "politics" (if it can even be called that) was atrocious with its treatment of torture and Islam. Younger me was able to brush off that tension and enjoy it, but now I'm not too sure if I ever want to revisit the old seasons at this point in TYOOL 2019; knowing how many people genuinely bought into the show's bizarro reality and voted Trump. (Trump himself probably did not watch much of the show, though Bush did.) However, I probably would watch a true revival with Kiefer because that show was like crack.

The one aspect of the show's politics I'm still fond of in hindsight is its treatment of the Office of the Presidency, which could probably be described as anti-West Wing. After the first on-screen POTUS, the show took a very nihilistic approach to the American Empire's throne, because the writers took a "who the gently caress cares? the president is just another rear end in a top hat with a title" approach.

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer
if any of y'all liked old action pack shows like Xena you'd like new legend of monkey on Netflix I bet

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

ive only ever seen the second season of twenty four and i was very surprised at how it actually contradicted most of the hard right wing talking points the show later became famous for as i recall while the initial villain is a terrorist once they catch him the main characters immediately realize that theres stuff going on that he obviously dont know anything about and he gets mysteriously assassinated right before getting on the helicopter to meet up with the interrogators

in spite of these preposterously suspicious circumstances since very few people had any idea where the terrorist was the vp seizes power through an obviously bullshit cabinet vote to start world war three gently caress investigating anything forcing jack bauer to do several months of investigative work in a few hours to find ironclad evidence proving that actually the situation is pretty drat complicated lets not start world war three over poo poo that could have been easily been planted

even littler moments go hard against post nine eleven thinking one of the bigger obstacles in the middle portion is racist yahoos picking a fight with a visiting foreign expert whos helping jack bauer one of the more critical secret villains turns out to be a white woman and theres no torture either the closest anyone gets to that is withholding painkillers and maybe staging overdramatic stuff to shock people

the whole thing is extremely pre nine eleven mentality the funny thing is i think technically they actually started filming after september eleven it just hadnt occurred to anyone that they should make the script more more tom clancy because it took time for these tropes to become ingrained in popular culture and a big part of what made twenty four appealing in the first place is that it was marking a shift away from tom clancy style international political thrillers which everyone had mostly gotten sick of by that point

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
It actually took a bit of time for the Right to claim 24 as their show; it didn't really happen until season 4; though the first three seasons can still be read in a post-9/11 climate.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Echo Chamber posted:

It actually took a bit of time for the Right to claim 24 as their show; it didn't really happen until season 4; though the first three seasons can still be read in a post-9/11 climate.

Season 4, where the mom kills her son's white girlfriend and the main bad guy is Habib Marwan

That name is burned into my brain

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_P52G4Kyq5M

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Honestly there's a lot of media that basically presents all the insane fears of the right as correct and we need hard men to fight them, but also throw in an American bad guy or something so the writers can still call themselves liberals

A Gnarlacious Bro
Apr 25, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

StashAugustine posted:

Honestly there's a lot of media that basically presents all the insane fears of the right as correct and we need hard men to fight them, but also throw in an American bad guy or something so the writers can still call themselves liberals

They know in their hearts that being conservative is more normal

Serf
May 5, 2011

https://twitter.com/IGN/status/1189697512002793474?s=20

great actor, too bad he owns a literal gold mine in africa

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sitchensis
Mar 4, 2009

Serf posted:

https://twitter.com/IGN/status/1189697512002793474?s=20

great actor, too bad he owns a literal gold mine in africa