Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD
What’s the full story of Cornette’s run with ROH

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

he seems to never have gotten the memo that everyone knows wrestling isn't real

i can see the PROTECT KAYFABE AT ALL COSTS attitude being reasonable when the business depends on it but uh the cat's been out of the bag for decades now

you have to follow it to some extent of course but maybe don't slap a dude for not wanting to see his kid cry

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011

Pollyanna posted:

gently caress kinda politics does this guy have if they clash with his stance on LGBT? Maybe he’s just a Never Trumper.

He's a lying con artist who realized the Republican party is also lying con artists. I'm paraphrasing but I'm like eighty percent sure that is the Jim Cornette Politics Experience.

Yinlock posted:

i can see the PROTECT KAYFABE AT ALL COSTS attitude being reasonable when the business depends on it but uh the cat's been out of the bag for decades now

that particular cat was literally never in the bag, wrestlers are just stupid and thought it was for nearly a century.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

karmicknight posted:

He's a lying con artist who realized the Republican party is also lying con artists. I'm paraphrasing but I'm like eighty percent sure that is the Jim Cornette Politics Experience.

Ah, a libertarian.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

karmicknight posted:

that particular cat was literally never in the bag, wrestlers are just stupid and thought it was for nearly a century.

eh it kind of was with the general stupid public

including me as a kid

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

i'm about to mention that poll from the 80s where more than 90% of responders said wrestling was fake and ole anderson thought it would be 3%. i don't remember the details, but i'm going to tell you about it

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

ThePariah posted:

Remember when Jim Cornette got fired for slapping Santino Marella? He later said that he's since been in anger management, but within the last year he got into a heated argument with Santino. He's never going to change.

Anger management therapy rarely works for someone who's been successful because of their anger. By the time their anger is no longer an asset and becomes a hindrance its usually too deeply ingrained to change, even if the person wants to. Which Cornette doesn't.

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Yinlock posted:

he seems to never have gotten the memo that everyone knows wrestling isn't real

you have to follow it to some extent of course but maybe don't slap a dude for not wanting to see his kid cry

It doesn’t even make sense considering Cornette is like the granddaddy of shoot videos exposing the business, has a podcast devoted to exposing the business and still does live Q&As and tweets exposing the business, but when anyone else tweets something out of kayfabe he acts like they murdered a puppy in public

Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>

TelevisedInsanity posted:

big fan of whoever does the cartoon thumbnails for his youtube channel, because it makes him come across somehow even more smug than the main character in a gamer webcomic, but with all the artistic skills of somebody who just bought anime-studio for the first time and wants to make south park

you see, he is eating donuts because JELLY janella?
you see, he is returning some jeans because POCKETS

it's really clever, you need a high-IQ to understand this comedy, otherwise, you are a trump-loving shithead that's "killing the business"

Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>
i like that he uses that face as a catchall brand that definitely isnt lame and sad

Takuan
May 6, 2007

Cavauro posted:

i'm about to mention that poll from the 80s where more than 90% of responders said wrestling was fake and ole anderson thought it would be 3%. i don't remember the details, but i'm going to tell you about it

Can somebody find an authoritative source on this poll? I remember hearing about it, but haven't been able to find it. I need it to rub in someone's face.

Nobody here though.

And not like, literally rub a printout of it in their face.
As much as I'd like to.

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Pollyanna posted:

I know that Cornette is a homophobe and a transphobe, so he can go gently caress himself as far as I am concerned.

gently caress kinda politics does this guy have if they clash with his stance on LGBT? Maybe he’s just a Never Trumper.

Nah, he was very clearly an Obama guy as well. It's pretty bizarre tbh. Like he would even bitch about people complaining about Obama "not doing anything" or whatever while ranting about how he was getting hosed by Congress and people are idiots. I THINK I even remember seeing him talk about the insanity of Clinton being impeached while nothing has happened to Trump.

He also has ranted at length about the lunacy of rich people not paying taxes and gone to bat for socialized medicine IIRC.

Cornette is many things, many of them bad, but a Never Trump type he isn't. He sucks tho.

SamuraiFoochs fucked around with this message at 15:44 on Oct 30, 2019

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

Ah, so he's a Clinton Democrat

Cool Post Beg
Mar 6, 2008

DADDY MAGIC
When I think about Cornette I always think about the scaffold spot and how it was impressive that he made it look so weak and staged yet still managed to shatter his tailbone

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Venomous posted:

Ah, so he's a Clinton Democrat

Missed my edit but actually nah I don't even think he's that because I seem to recall rants about how hosed the healthcare system is and it's insane to make healthcare for profit, rich people should pay more taxes, etc.

It's really bizarre.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Don't look for internal consistency in Jim Cornette, he's a carny. His beliefs are whatever the person paying him believes.

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

beggar posted:

When I think about Cornette I always think about the scaffold spot and how it was impressive that he made it look so weak and staged yet still managed to shatter his tailbone

Less his tailbone and more his entire knee.

My theory with Jim is that he has untreated PTSD from years of antagonizing fans until they tried to kill him (specifically, his time in Mid South) and over time it has poisoned his brain. He also has no self-awareness and contradicts himself all the time because he thinks he's objective and rational; if guys like Colt Cabana and Orange Cassidy were 1970s Memphis journeymen, he'd sing their praises all the time. Speaking of Colt, it tickles me that Cornette has to work with him and call his matches after years of being a stupid baby about Colt's persona and ring style.

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD
Cornette’s political opinions being a random assortment of beliefs lacking any real consistency is one of his more normal traits tbh

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EYKO1za5mX0&t=90s

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

I like how in his mind he's the thin one

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Seams posted:

What’s the full story of Cornette’s run with ROH

I have some highlights:
He showed up, bowled over Delirious, who was officially booking
got in multiple arguments with both ROH and Sinclair execs
meanwhile the entire operation goes to poo poo.
Kenny Omega bails on some dates and ends up wrestling in a japanese karaoke bar
Cornette brought in luchadors(whom loathed Cornette btw) with 0 promotion and wondered why it died.
gave the "why can't you be more like Jay Lethal" speech to Kenny King
tried running ROH in old SMW spots but at higher ticket prices(blamed that on Sinclair)
numerous wrestlers opted to not re-sign until Cornette was cleared out.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

he also fired el generico and took kevin steen off shows despite them being one of the few strong draws for the company

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

coconono posted:

I have some highlights:
Cornette brought in luchadors(whom loathed Cornette btw) with 0 promotion and wondered why it died.
tried running ROH in old SMW spots but at higher ticket prices(blamed that on Sinclair)

TBF that sounds like a pretty standard tenure for someone running ROH.

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Honestly Cornette was a better booker than Delirious but that’s not high praise

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

ROH's best booker was Gabe Sapolsky, who was basically gifted a lockerroom full of guys willing to die. Adam Pearce had less to work with and made it work. Delirious and Christopher Daniels just they were using a booking sim with outdated metrics. I wanted to see what a Taeler Hendrix booked ROH would have looked like but Mandy Leon put the end to that.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

coconono posted:

I have some highlights:

Ah. This might be what ACH was referring to.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Cerebral Bore posted:

Cornette is worth listening to if and only if the subject is old-timey wrestling history trivia and he keeps himself on topic.

I started listening to Cornette (and getting into wrestling) because of some cartoonists I like recommending his podcasts about OVW. I thought they were great.

I also thought he was surprisingly progressive for an old wrestling guy. I was expecting MAGA, and he is not MAGA.

Pinstripe Hourglass posted:

He is so blatantly, disgustingly homophobic. I don’t know how anyone can look past this.

Not just the horrible things he says about openly LGBT wrestlers like Sonny Kiss and Nyla. The way he talks about wrestlers he thinks are “fake”, like the Bucks and ESPECIALLY Omega, it always feels like he’s just barely stopping himself from calling them big homos.

But basically this, plus the weird irrational hatred of a small handful of wrestlers. So I stopped listening to him and started listening to Dave and Bryan instead.

Do it ironically
Jul 13, 2010

by Pragmatica
He’s one of those people who believes they are 100% correct all the time, and anyone who disagrees is an idiot, I’ve had co-workers like that where if they came up with the idea the sky was green they’d argue it to death regardless of looking out the window

What I’ll never know is if these people actually believe they’re correct or if deep down they know they’re wrong but their whole self worth is based off “I’m right you’re wrong”

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Cornette went on Citizen Radio(a cityslicker progressive podcast) because Jamie Kilstein is a lapsed wrestling fan, so Jim started to get a lot more progressive people paying attention to him. The interview was standard Jim Cornette talking points on national politics. It didn't really veer into anything really progressive.

Jamie would later apologize for bringing Jim Cornette on after Cornette's anti-muslim rant(which was done to get a rise out of his extremely fragile cohost iforgethername).

cherry on top: Jamie Kilstein would later get pulled from Citizen Radio for trying to have sex with one of the cohosts that wasn't his wife. oops.

Low Desert Punk
Jul 4, 2012

i have absolutely no fucking money
https://streamable.com/nxqmz

Has anyone posted this video of Jim Cornette asking the US military to slaughter civilian targets after 9/11

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Jordan7hm posted:

I started listening to Cornette (and getting into wrestling) because of some cartoonists I like recommending his podcasts about OVW. I thought they were great.

I also thought he was surprisingly progressive for an old wrestling guy. I was expecting MAGA, and he is not MAGA.

But basically this, plus the weird irrational hatred of a small handful of wrestlers. So I stopped listening to him and started listening to Dave and Bryan instead.

I guess calling Muslims "cave people" is progressive for an old wrestling guy.

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

It's shocking that there is so much evidence out there of well known piece of poo poo Jim Cornette actually being a piece of poo poo

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

coconono posted:

I have some highlights:

didn't he also push Mike Mondo to the moon because he was his darling in OVW

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

Alaois posted:

didn't he also push Mike Mondo to the moon because he was his darling in OVW

yes and in his first promo as a babyface in roh he said he was going to rape maria kannellis

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

STONE COLD 64 posted:

yes and in his first promo as a babyface in roh he said he was going to rape maria kannellis

oh yeah. Mike Mondo, great guy to give a mic to when you're trying to get onto national television.

And Cornette still capes for the guy.

DoctorGonzo
Jul 25, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
if cornette had any piece of integrity he would have died ranting against the moronic 24-7 belt

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Do it ironically posted:

He’s one of those people who believes they are 100% correct all the time, and anyone who disagrees is an idiot, I’ve had co-workers like that where if they came up with the idea the sky was green they’d argue it to death regardless of looking out the window

What I’ll never know is if these people actually believe they’re correct or if deep down they know they’re wrong but their whole self worth is based off “I’m right you’re wrong”

it's because he's a con man and still has the con man attitude, his entire worldview is based around being smarter than the unwashed masses he swindles

he cannot deal with the fact that the mark is him, it's always been him

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

musicals are garbage
Listening to steen talk about having Cornette in charge sounds like a loving nightmare.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

STONE COLD 64 posted:

he also fired el generico and took kevin steen off shows despite them being one of the few strong draws for the company

back to this for a second but I loved him talking about how he was eventually vindicated because he hated the El Generico gimmick and though Steen needed to lose weight and when both guys went to the WWE, Generico ditched the gimmick and Steen lost weight.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Low Desert Punk
Jul 4, 2012

i have absolutely no fucking money
the jim cornette podcast where he talks to dave meltzer about modern wrestling is one of the worst hours of audio on the internet. cornette refuses to accept anything dave has to say about the Bucks and Omega, and Jim is completely unwilling just to let Dave talk, so they just talk and interrupt and yell over each other until they're done

genuinely unlistenable