Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I might put a complaint on Nextdoor about someone in the neighborhood playing a 'foul version of Monster Mash' while the kids do their trick or treating, just to get everyone clucking away.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

WescottF1 posted:

In 2001 Best Buy carried a DVD version that was the uncensored theatrical version with the TV scenes edited in. Bonus item was a little commemorative piece with a couple of the original film frames in it.

I used to have a few of these from other movies as they came with DVDs pretty regularly. I remember the coolest one was with Anchor Bay's DVD of Manhunter because piece was like a little faux dossier with FBI profiles of each character.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
Wow, posers in this thread who don't know the real best halloween song

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7oN9jhPnXgs

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever

Basebf555 posted:

As long as you like From Beyond you're cool with me.

I just watched this and I really have to question the accredited status of Miskatonic University

It was no Re-Animator but that's in my top ten. Still dug it. I'm gonna watch Bride of Re-Animator here in a day or two.

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
The soundtrack to the original TCM is 5/5

Edit: are any of the bootlegs decent rips? Idk of it's lo-fi I just want something with a decent scrub job

Pomp fucked around with this message at 21:45 on Oct 30, 2019

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

MacheteZombie posted:

I watched the Brood for the first time and all I can say is :stonk:

gently caress yeah.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

https://twitter.com/edgarwright/status/1189610840271527941?s=20

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

I must have been too late to the hype train but holy poo poo A Quiet Place sucks out loud.

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

weekly font posted:

I must have been too late to the hype train but holy poo poo A Quiet Place sucks out loud.

hell yeah

My favorite as all the people who don’t normally watch horror telling me they liked this one because it “wasn’t just jump scares”

It’s literally ALL jump scares! And not even interesting jump scares, it’s like the same jump scare over and over again

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

weekly font posted:

This is made explicit in Part 4. But really why is the town still selling this mask?
The series doesn't really pay enough service to the trauma on Haddonfield but I love that stuff in 4 when the news tells people to go home and immediately the entire bar full of drunks go "He's back!" and form a lynch mob and the cops are just like "gently caress it, lets barricade ourselves in a house and prepare for war."

Vince MechMahon posted:

NBC is actually a Thanksgiving movie. The best time to watch it is after Halloween before the first snowfall.

Preach.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

weekly font posted:

It's very amusing, that's for sure.

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Do you like scary movies?

weekly font posted:

The premise had potential but drat the execution of it sucked horribly.

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

Blast Fantasto posted:

hell yeah

My favorite as all the people who don’t normally watch horror telling me they liked this one because it “wasn’t just jump scares”

It’s literally ALL jump scares! And not even interesting jump scares, it’s like the same jump scare over and over again

I liked the scene in the grain bin because it was something different, but yeah. Amazing that no one figured out the way to kill the monsters was “shoot them in the face.”

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

Splint Chesthair posted:

I liked the scene in the grain bin because it was something different, but yeah. Amazing that no one figured out the way to kill the monsters was “shoot them in the face.”

Or that monsters that work on sound would get hosed up by high pitched frequencies. Fuckin Mars Attacks rear end ending.

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

weekly font posted:

Or that monsters that work on sound would get hosed up by high pitched frequencies. Fuckin Mars Attacks rear end ending.

Hey, whoa, I agree in principle but let’s take it easy on Mars Attacks, huh?

I hope Krasinski’s follow-up deals with monsters that can only kill you if they smell you. Survivors clustered in Yankee Candle stores and whatnot.

sponges
Sep 15, 2011

A Quiet Place is a perfectly enjoyable movie if you don’t think about it too much

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

All right you dinguses, give me a horror movie to watch.

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

Lurdiak posted:

The answer is always Death Spa.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

sponges posted:

A Quiet Place is a perfectly enjoyable movie if you don’t think about it too much

Yeah, I liked it fine. The meat of it is in the melodrama not the tactile realism or survivor IQ or whatever. It worked for me but I probably won't be watching it again or hard recommending it to anyone.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

sponges posted:

This is the kind of defense people get real mad at when it's used on Transformers movies.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Splint Chesthair posted:

The answer is always Death Spa.

I've seen Death Spa! You speak to the master of Scream-emonies! Please give me something slightly more obscure.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

weekly font posted:

This is the kind of defense people get real mad at when it's used on Transformers movies.

Like, if someone just wants to watch giant robots smash each other and blow stuff up and aren't trying to convince you its revolutionizing anything or whatever, then more power to them.

We're horror fans. We know the joy of watching something dumb.

Tim Whatley
Mar 28, 2010

FYI get a year of Shudder for 31% off through tomorrow ($40)

http://try.shudder.com/halloween2019paid/

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice

Lurdiak posted:

I've seen Death Spa! You speak to the master of Scream-emonies! Please give me something slightly more obscure.

The '27 version of The Cat and the Canary?

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Lurdiak posted:

Body Melt? Xtro? Witchcraft 4?

e: Blood Birthday?

feedmyleg fucked around with this message at 23:36 on Oct 30, 2019

T3hRen3gade
Jun 7, 2007

Look in my eye,
what do you see?

feedmyleg posted:

Body Melt. Xtro. Witchcraft 4.

I second Body Melt. Also I'm still trying to get someone to watch High Tension for the first time for the inevitable :stare:

Gay Horney
Feb 10, 2013

by Reene
I watched Rob Zombie Halloween and Deep Red from the recommendations on Shudder posted up thread. they're good movies. deep red in particular has some very striking moments.

didn't care for the twist in haute tension, felt very dishonest, but has some memorable deaths.

speaking of French horror that is unwatchable dubbed, Marianne on Netflix wins for the scariest thing I watched this October. does lots of things really well even though it doesn't do a lot that I'm comfortable calling new.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

weekly font posted:

It’s pretty good.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

sponges posted:

I'm guessing it was more fun in the theater, because my wife and I couldn't stop talking through it, going "wait, why did..." every few seconds. It just made no real sense.

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

Lurdiak posted:

the answer is FROM BEYOND

if not that, give Lake Mungo a go i dunno haha

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

It was great in the theater because it made everyone shut the gently caress up and for that it’s a masterpiece of a film.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

I always forget that in Rosemary's Baby John Cassavettes, before you are 100% sure he's evil is just like, yeah I had to do a rape on ya to make a baby no big deal!

CelticPredator posted:

It was great in the theater because it made everyone shut the gently caress up and for that it’s a masterpiece of a film.

I can definitely believe missing the theater experience and the hype train lowered the movie for me but it felt so contrived to get from one plot point to the next. By the end I really, really couldn't give a poo poo about anyone. A couple of good tension scenes but once you see one you've seen them all.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

weekly font posted:

I always forget that in Rosemary's Baby John Cassavettes, before you are 100% sure he's evil is just like, yeah I had to do a rape on ya to make a baby no big deal!
I think that's a huge part of the film, that like, even absent a satanic cult theory everything that's happening to Rosemary is incredibly hosed up and wrong and she instinctively knows that but just can't find her way out.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

STAC Goat posted:

I think that's a huge part of the film, that like, even absent a satanic cult theory everything that's happening to Rosemary is incredibly hosed up and wrong and she instinctively knows that but just can't find her way out.

Even though you can see it coming, the doctor ratting her out is so deflating. It's a nearly perfect movie except when the director's name comes up in the credits.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

I saw A Quiet Place in theaters and every sound I heard the rest of the night startled me.

It was a good, immersive movie IMO. Enough that I saw it in theaters a second time. :shrug:

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006
Not that I'm asking for anyone to prove me wrong here, but I really didn't notice any plot holes in A Quiet Place and every attempt to research it has just left me rolling my eyes. I mean, I know you can have fun doing a We Hate Movies-esque riff on "Why doesn't X do Y?" stuff, but it functions as well as a zombie movie, it's incredibly tense, and does a pretty good job of laying its world in an economic way.

But I also think A Quiet Place is a much better film that Hereditary.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

DRILLER KILLER is good :350:

fun fact there's a really good Swedish d-beat crust punk band called DRILLER KILLER

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
3 From Hell is coming to Shudder!

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

Kvlt! posted:

DRILLER KILLER is good :350:

fun fact there's a really good Swedish d-beat crust punk band called DRILLER KILLER

Name doesn't start with some form of dis-/dys-, a poser d-beat

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

COOL CORN posted:

Name doesn't start with some form of dis-/dys-, a poser d-beat

you're my favorite poster in this thread other than myself :350:

QUICK SOMEONE TELL ME IS THE VERSION OF NIGHTMARE (1981) ON AMAZON PRIME THE UNCUT VERSION?