Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

FAT CURES MUSCLES posted:

Can any CO goons recommend eldora for learning how to ski? I live in Louisville so its only an hour or so away (depending on boulder canyon).

Loveland had the best learn to ski deal ~$400 for 1 full day and 2 half day lessons and after you complete them you get a season pass.

Eldora will be just fine to learn at though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Math You
Oct 27, 2010

So put your faith
in more than steel
Thanks everyone for the recommendations over the last page. Ended up going with Big White. Ease of travel ended up taking the cake, and it's not like it is any slouch in the terrain department.

Now to book the flights and watch in horror as the price plummets.
Any preference for Air Canada or West Jet when it comes to travelling with skis? Who's gonna gently caress me less on the luggage?

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

Math You posted:

Thanks everyone for the recommendations over the last page. Ended up going with Big White. Ease of travel ended up taking the cake, and it's not like it is any slouch in the terrain department.

Now to book the flights and watch in horror as the price plummets.
Any preference for Air Canada or West Jet when it comes to travelling with skis? Who's gonna gently caress me less on the luggage?
I think that's the right call; Red is cool and all, but if you're coming from Ontario it's just going to be way more of a hassle than you want to deal with.

I don't know about WestJet but Air Canada is ok with skis. I've flown them a few times with skis and never had any issues. Double check the baggage allowances though before you book.

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL

FAT CURES MUSCLES posted:

Can any CO goons recommend eldora for learning how to ski? I live in Louisville so its only an hour or so away (depending on boulder canyon).

As a non co native I didn’t enjoy it. It was icy and windy and I’m told it’s usually like that. This was on a day when summit county resorts were getting 6+ inches.

They do have huge jumps setup so there’s that if you are into it. I’m poo poo so it wasn’t a draw

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Eldora is always insanely windy just due to where it is

This was from last season

Math You
Oct 27, 2010

So put your faith
in more than steel

HookShot posted:

I think that's the right call; Red is cool and all, but if you're coming from Ontario it's just going to be way more of a hassle than you want to deal with.

I don't know about WestJet but Air Canada is ok with skis. I've flown them a few times with skis and never had any issues. Double check the baggage allowances though before you book.

Air Canada's site states that skis and snowboards must be in hard cases. I have a padded bag. You ever hear of them turning away luggage?

Edit: I don't think I've ever seen a rigid snowboard case!

Math You fucked around with this message at 21:57 on Oct 30, 2019

highme
May 25, 2001

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

I flew Air Canada to Japan last time and my softside rolling board bag was fine.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Math You posted:

Air Canada's site states that skis and snowboards must be in hard cases. I have a padded bag. You ever hear of them turning away luggage?

You are probably ok. Southwest makes you sign a waiver sometimes if it is soft sided. Maybe they do something like that?

Disinterested
Jun 29, 2011

You look like you're still raking it in. Still killing 'em?
I think Loveland and A-Basin are probably nicer places to get cheap lessons. It doesn't really matter where you get a beginner lesson from a location perspective as long as there's snow because the first day is probably not going to involve getting off a pretty flat incline.

Disinterested
Jun 29, 2011

Math You posted:

https://www.sportube.com/

This is the biggest dedicated maker that I know of but they suck compared to a big traditional ski bag since they're heavy, dont have pockets, and are harder to move and store.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

I see millions of people at Vancouver Airports (and associated transist) with softcases. Pretty sure it's not an issue.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

Razzled posted:

As a non co native I didn’t enjoy it. It was icy and windy and I’m told it’s usually like that. This was on a day when summit county resorts were getting 6+ inches.

They do have huge jumps setup so there’s that if you are into it. I’m poo poo so it wasn’t a draw

Yeah, Eldora isn't great. I end up there a lot though since it's only an hour drive for me versus the 2 it takes to get to anywhere else provided the road conditions are good.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Math You posted:

I've seen lots of soft bags over the years, so unless this is a brand new thing it's a non-issue from what I've seen.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

Math You posted:

I've never had an issue and I've flown Air Canada multiple times with a bunch of soft bags.

They've never given me poo poo when I've had a bag that weighed like twice the limit, either, but I would bank less on that and also you're probably not trying to get three pairs of race skis in one bag.

Bob Ross Nuke Test
Jul 12, 2016

by Games Forum
Nakiska opened Sunday on a 66cm base.

Pockets of over 500cm in the northern icefields parkway.

100+ on bow summit.

If this keeps up it's gonna be the best season the canadian rockies has seen in years.

highme
May 25, 2001

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

HookShot posted:

I've never had an issue and I've flown Air Canada multiple times with a bunch of soft bags.

They've never given me poo poo when I've had a bag that weighed like twice the limit, either, but I would bank less on that and also you're probably not trying to get three pairs of race skis in one bag.

I think I had 5 snowboards & 2 pairs of bindings in my bag on the last trip to Japan on Air Canada.

Math You
Oct 27, 2010

So put your faith
in more than steel
Not sure how common an occurrence this is, but Westjet has a 20%off promo today. I had booked my flight less than 24hrs ago so I cancelled and rebooked.
$800 down to $640.. I'll take it (also gently caress Canadian flights)

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Math You posted:

Not sure how common an occurrence this is, but Westjet has a 20%off promo today. I had booked my flight less than 24hrs ago so I cancelled and rebooked.
$800 down to $640.. I'll take it (also gently caress Canadian flights)

Yeah... I just bought round trip flights:

Denver-Detroit: $112 (United/Southwest)
Denver-Spokane: $223 (Southwest)

Hell I went round trip to Japan for $640 two years ago. I feel for you.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

spwrozek posted:

Yeah... I just bought round trip flights:

Denver-Detroit: $112 (United/Southwest)
Denver-Spokane: $223 (Southwest)

Hell I went round trip to Japan for $640 two years ago. I feel for you.

You can easily fly half-way around the World from a major city in Canada for less cost than flying within the country. :smith:

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
If you can cancel your flight then you might want to keep looking. Iirc, the best ticket prices happen like 4-6 weeks before the day you want to fly.

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

THE BEATWEAVER posted:

Nakiska opened Sunday on a 66cm base.

Pockets of over 500cm in the northern icefields parkway.

100+ on bow summit.

If this keeps up it's gonna be the best season the canadian rockies has seen in years.

Louise opens tomorrow

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Skiing and dogs today

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

spwrozek posted:

Skiing and dogs today

This makes me very happy

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

Excellent. Coverage lookin’ pretty good up there.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Dangerllama posted:

Excellent. Coverage lookin’ pretty good up there.

Not too bad. We skied a coupe laps on the meadows and then dropped down to the aqueduct. Some people were skiing steep stuff but you could just see so many rocks and dirt and such. We tried to keep the bases on snow. With the upcoming warm weather and lack of snow in the forecast I don't think it will be very good until it snows some more. I don't ski Berthoud very often and it always blows me away how tracked it gets, just legit could be in the resort. There were places with moguls. Still fun as hell though.

Omnikin
May 29, 2007

Press 'E' for Medic

LostCosmonaut posted:

In case anybody else here skies Whiteface, they're adding a new double black glade;

Should be a nice spot.

I was planning on hitting Whiteface this year, but I am not a double black rider yet. It's been a couple years!

Disinterested
Jun 29, 2011

Going this Sunday. At loving last.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
"Historically Whistler opens around the 17th of November, which is ten days from now, so it should be looking pretty good up the-"

"Oh. Well, it happens. I'm sure there's a decent amount of snow forecasted in the next wee-"

Luckily, I'll be spending that extra time skiing with the club at Sun Peaks for the first pre-season camps and race series, so I'm happy since I'll be on skis again soon.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

HookShot posted:

"Historically Whistler opens around the 17th of November, which is ten days from now, so it should be looking pretty good up the-"

Hahaha, I did exactly the same yesterday.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

November 16th...

ante
Apr 9, 2005

SUNSHINE AND RAINBOWS

What a gorgeous day

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

ante posted:

What a gorgeous day

Sweet mountain biking track

Bob Ross Nuke Test
Jul 12, 2016

by Games Forum
A week ago, two years in the past, I was shredding 2' of pow behind the Black Tusk in -20 temps.

Hello '13/'14 my old friend...

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

THE BEATWEAVER posted:

A week ago, two years in the past, I was shredding 2' of pow behind the Black Tusk in -20 temps.

Hello '13/'14 my old friend...

I was going to say it's not actually warm enough to be the same season as 13/14 but then I looked at live temps and it's the same temperature at the roundhouse as in the village so LOL yeah that's exactly what's happening.

Spime Wrangler
Feb 23, 2003

Because we can.

We’re possibly going to be skiing downhill by the end of next week in the UP at this rate. Wicked early.

XC skiing already started... we’re going to have to put the skis away for deer season lol

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Last year I went skiing for the first time in 25 years at Loveland. It was p good. Looking to go again around December 7-11 since flights from Houston to Denver are ridiculously cheap ($53 round trip)

Is Loveland going to still be ok early season by then or is somewhere else probably better since last year was a fluke year with tons of snow?

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT
You never really know. Loveland is high elevation and normally has a long season. October was crazy with the amount of snow this year, but it's now warm again and stuff is melting fast.

Where are you staying at?

Edit: $53 RT is insane. Holy hell.

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

Thinking of doing a trip to Killington this season. Anybody familiar? How easy is it to get around to the nightlife without driving yourself?

Varg
Jan 13, 2007

A friendly face.

Only times I've stayed in Killington was in a ski in condo and we brought enough to drink and eat so we never had to attempt to go out after riding

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bob Ross Nuke Test
Jul 12, 2016

by Games Forum

HookShot posted:

I was going to say it's not actually warm enough to be the same season as 13/14 but then I looked at live temps and it's the same temperature at the roundhouse as in the village so LOL yeah that's exactly what's happening.

Yeah, 9cm base and freezing level hovering right at Blackcomb peak, with a nice warm pineapple express on its way for the next two weeks. I don't see Whistler hitting Nov.30th barring an act of god, and the North Shore hills are probably going to eat poo poo this year.