Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

That's why I always found it so frustrating that Egwene insisted that the Aes Sedai continue taking the Three Oaths, even after it's well established that the Three Oaths do not help the Aes Sedai in any way. Since they're only bound to the exact wording of the Oaths, the oaths are almost completely useless. All they really do is continually remind people that they should not be trusted, because why would a trustworthy person have to be bound in such a manner?

Also, the Aes Sedai parts are terrible because they focus so heavily on Egwene, and Egwene is the worst character in the series. She's even worse than Elayne.

Khizan fucked around with this message at 21:12 on Oct 29, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

awesmoe
Nov 30, 2005

Pillbug

Khizan posted:

That's why I always found it so frustrating that Egwene insisted that the Aes Sedai continue taking the Three Oaths, even after it's well established that the Three Oaths do not help the Aes Sedai in any way. Since they're only bound to the exact wording of the Oaths, the oaths are almost completely useless. All they really do is continually remind people that they should not be trusted, because why would a trustworthy person have to be bound in such a manner?

Also, the Aes Sedai parts are terrible because they focus so heavily on Egwene, and Egwene is the worst character in the series. She's even worse than Elayne.

actually, nobody is worse than elayne, not even faile

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

awesmoe posted:

Agreeeeeeeed

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain

awesmoe posted:

You misspelled Elaida

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
I don't think Faile ever does anything mind bendingly stupid just because Min has said she will live to give birth to twins

Faile is a decent character IMHO she's just stuck in an interminable plotline

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

RC Cola posted:

You misspelled Elaida

Elaida exists to be hated and does that job well though.

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Elaida exists to be hated and does that job well though.

Elayne doesn't???

Apparatchik Magnet
Sep 25, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
The very strong case for Elayne's place in the cellar is that of the terrible characters she has a lot of pages but very few redeeming scenes. The other baddies at least have a bright spot or two or don't inflict pain for as long.

awesmoe
Nov 30, 2005

Pillbug
Dyelin Should Be Queen

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

I lost my softcover books (1-9 I think) so I'm on that audiobook life, and I'm trucking along well into the Dragon Reborn now. Glad the news of the show being made got me to go through the series again.

Also learning that Michael Kramer and Kate Reading are married was a trip.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

awesmoe posted:

Dyelin Should Be Queen

Rand should have mandated the Republic of Andor

bloom
Feb 25, 2017

by sebmojo
The Two Rivers should have led Andor and the world in a workers' revolution

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Apparatchik Magnet posted:

The very strong case for Elayne's place in the cellar is that of the terrible characters she has a lot of pages but very few redeeming scenes. The other baddies at least have a bright spot or two or don't inflict pain for as long.

Elayne probably killed more of her own people than anyone up to and including Lews Therin Telamon

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

And Egwene took her lumps harder than just about anyone, I liked her tbh

Basileus777
Jun 13, 2013
Considering like 1/4 of Aes Sedai turned out to be darkfriends and the black ajah were basically running the white tower for centuries, everyone should have distrusted Aes Sedai even more.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

I really don’t mind any of the girls, they just have less fun stuff to do, which is a shame. Besides the obvious incessant ticks he decided to burden them with for no real reason.

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth

Invalid Validation posted:

I really don’t mind any of the girls, they just have less fun stuff to do, which is a shame. Besides the obvious incessant ticks he decided to burden them with for no real reason.

Those are, however, just the kind of things that could be reworked in a TV show. It would need to be an intentional choice by the writers and producers, but I could easily see some of the worst parts of characters being fixed.

Mad Hamish
Jun 15, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

The Aes Sedai politics were one of the most enjoyable parts for me, because they led to Elaida's Continuous Mistake. Elaida's Continuous Mistake is as enjoyable to read as Cersei's Continuous Mistake in ASoIaF.

Elayne is by far the worst character even more than Faile, and Faile is loathsome. For God's sakes Light blind me, when she has to wear a veil in Tarabon (?) she's the only one who has trouble with it because she literally has her nose turned up at all times.

Best characters are Verin, Tuon, and Elaida.

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

If you think you're gonna get sympathy from the shark, well then, you won't.

The Aes Sedai politics section was amazing because it let Jordan take one of his major flaws -- the slow pace of the books and massive bloat of the series -- and combine it with one of his strengths -- the realistic appreciation for how rumor and information slowly travel through a pre-modern world -- and combine them in the best way possible. Watching Elaida make stupid decisions based on four-book-old information while everyone around her flits about using teleporting battle-mages and dream-networks of spies that she has no loving idea exist was immensely satisfying.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

I’m on book 6 and it’s been like three weeks or something since the events of the first book, how long does the series cover?

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Come, all you fair and tender maids
Who flourish in your pri-ime
Beware, take care, keep your garden fair
Let Gnoman steal your thy-y-me
Le-et Gnoman steal your thyme

About a year, IIRC.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer

Gnoman posted:

About a year, IIRC.

Are you loving serious? I thought it was yearS

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

It's gotta be longer, Rand loses "months" on the first portal stone to Falme, and there's more weeks/months implied after between books 2 and 3.

I googled and the deep wikis say 2-3 years.

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

Basileus777 posted:

Considering like 1/4 of Aes Sedai turned out to be darkfriends and the black ajah were basically running the white tower for centuries, everyone should have distrusted Aes Sedai even more.

I honestly wonder why the Black Ajah didn't just turn every single power user to the Shadow as soon as they stepped foot into the Tower, given how completely they seemed to have things in hand and the absolute lack of resistance up until the period the books cover. Who could've stopped them?

Also Elaida is a great character because she's not dumb or incompetent, she's just outmatched on like every level and refuses to acknowledge it or change her strategy.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

I remember it being winter (or at least cold enough for scarves loll) when they start out, then it's super hot during I think books 4-5 (everyone keeps talking about how unnaturally hot and long the summer is), and then in books 8-10 it's a heinously cold winter and everyone's trudging through snow. There must be at least one more seasonal cycle in there that I'm forgetting about though.

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Pleads posted:

It's gotta be longer, Rand loses "months" on the first portal stone to Falme, and there's more weeks/months implied after between books 2 and 3.

I googled and the deep wikis say 2-3 years.

Checking the wiki, the series starts on March 27, 998 and the Third Age ends somewhere halfway through the year 1000, with a ~100-day timeskip from Rand. So you're right, it is 2-3 years. Still an extremely short period of time, and quite a bit of it seems to be brushed over.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Mat Cauthon posted:

Also Elaida is a great character because she's not dumb or incompetent, she's just outmatched on like every level and refuses to acknowledge it or change her strategy.

I swear I remember Fain thinking "maha! The seed of hosed upness I planted in her will make sure shes useless!" But I'm damned if I can remember when that was.
Pre Fain Elaida was doing what she thought was right on some level, after she is pretty much a megalomaniac (who accidentally sets in motion the hunt for the Black)

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

Gnoman posted:

Checking the wiki, the series starts on March 27, 998 and the Third Age ends somewhere halfway through the year 1000, with a ~100-day timeskip from Rand. So you're right, it is 2-3 years. Still an extremely short period of time, and quite a bit of it seems to be brushed over.

Yeah I was surprised looking it up, too, since those early glossed over times basically mean the last 10 books take place over the course of like a year.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
Closer to two years, the first book opens at the start of spring (Bel Tine is a spring festival), when they get to Toman Head via the portal stone it's the beginning of fall, and in the beginning of book 3 they have been held up in the mountains in the winter, waiting to see what Rand is going to do. The following summer doesn't end because of the Dark One's influence and once they use the Bowl of the Winds it sorta snaps back to where it should be with the intense winter of Winter's Heart. Then it's spring again by the time the series is wrapping up. But the last batter is described as taking place over weeks so probably end of summer by the time everything is truly finished?

Caf
May 21, 2004

I'm King James! The Lion King!

Soonmot posted:

Are you loving serious? I thought it was yearS

Yeah, I think the first book of like a year.

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

I swear I remember Fain thinking "maha! The seed of hosed upness I planted in her will make sure shes useless!" But I'm damned if I can remember when that was.
Pre Fain Elaida was doing what she thought was right on some level, after she is pretty much a megalomaniac (who accidentally sets in motion the hunt for the Black)

Lord Of Chaos chapter 28

quote:

He wished he could feel al’Thor’s pain; surely he had caused him pain at least. Pinpricks only so far, but enough pinpricks would drain him dry. The Whitecloaks were set hard against the Dragon Reborn. Fain’s lips peeled back in a sneer. Unlikely Niall would have ever supported al’Thor any more than Elaida would have, but it was best not to take too much for granted with Rand bloody al’Thor. Well, he had brushed them both with what he carried from Aridhol; they might possibly trust their own mothers, but never al’Thor now.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf
Turns out Faile was only kidnapped for like 3 days :v:

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE

Invalid Validation posted:

I’m on book 6 and it’s been like three weeks or something since the events of the first book, how long does the series cover?

I’m pretty sure that’s actually not the case. IIRC the books cover 2 or 3 years but at least half of that is in the first few books. It’s 8-10 or so that really slows down the timeline. There’s a timeline that people have compiled over at Tar Valon Library if you’re interested.

Also it’s worth noting that Randland uses a 10 day week.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

I wonder if Jordan chose the 10 day week and the crazy-rear end system of feet, spans, hides, etc to spite people who go 'metric good but time is dumb'

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

I wonder if Jordan chose the 10 day week and the crazy-rear end system of feet, spans, hides, etc to spite people who go 'metric good but time is dumb'

I think its more imaginative, it's a little mysterious and whenever I see those terms as part of a description in the books I end up pausing for a moment to really think about the scale of whatever is being described.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all
He uses a 10 day week in Warrior of Altaii as well. It's not called a week though; he calls it a tenday.

TURTLE SLUT
Dec 12, 2005

Well poo poo, I just found this thread thanks to someone linking it elsewhere and wow, they're actually filming a Wheel of Time thing? I don't think I'll believe it's actually happening until the first episodes are available for streaming.

Also even then is there any reason to think this isn't going to be mediocre crap? :smith: There's a billion TV shows produced these days since everyone wants their own streaming platform with original content, and only a small percentage of that is anywhere near quality.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice

JOHN SKELETON posted:

Well poo poo, I just found this thread thanks to someone linking it elsewhere and wow, they're actually filming a Wheel of Time thing? I don't think I'll believe it's actually happening until the first episodes are available for streaming.

Also even then is there any reason to think this isn't going to be mediocre crap? :smith: There's a billion TV shows produced these days since everyone wants their own streaming platform with original content, and only a small percentage of that is anywhere near quality.

While we don't know to what extent they will make a good, worthy adaptation of Wheel of Time, I think Amazon's current slate of Originals Shows show that they will put real effort in them.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

JOHN SKELETON posted:

Don't care, Tits & Trollocs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Don't care, Tits & Trollocs

Ngggggggh, Myrdraal, I'm trying to sneak around, but I'm dummy thicc and the clap of my rear end cheeks keep alerting the Ta'veren.