Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord

Kvlt! posted:

you're my favorite poster in this thread other than myself :350:

Quoting for posterity

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

You created a new page and now nobody will see my question which was is the nightmare (1981) version on prime the uncut one

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
As far as I can tell the uncut version is 98 minutes

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

this one's only 97 minutes

edit: but the poster in the thumbnail says uncut? Why is it a minute shorter? :abrathink:

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I would imagine that a difference of 1 minute is probably a rounding error of some kind or like a short cut to credits or something.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

alright my friends im going in ill report back on how it is

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Like from what I get from the Wikipedia page it doesn't sound like there necessarily is a "cut" version. The article seems to suggest that distributors told them to cut it and they refused so it got released with an X rating.

gotta poo
Mar 14, 2019

by VideoGames
Reporting in to let you all know that Castle Rock season 2 really is more fun than the first one.

Friendship ended with Dean Winchester, Annie Wilkes is my new BFF.

Gay Horney
Feb 10, 2013

by Reene

Timeless Appeal posted:

Not that I'm asking for anyone to prove me wrong here, but I really didn't notice any plot holes in A Quiet Place and every attempt to research it has just left me rolling my eyes. I mean, I know you can have fun doing a We Hate Movies-esque riff on "Why doesn't X do Y?" stuff, but it functions as well as a zombie movie, it's incredibly tense, and does a pretty good job of laying its world in an economic way.

But I also think A Quiet Place is a much better film that Hereditary.

the idea that nobody would think to use really loud sounds on monsters that hear super good is loving preposterous. the movie is well done up til that point. a jillion times better than bird box anyway.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Gay Horney posted:

the idea that nobody would think to use really loud sounds on monsters that hear super good is loving preposterous. the movie is well done up til that point. a jillion times better than bird box anyway.

But like, that's not actually the resolution of that film? They were beat by a really specific and random radio frequency fumbled upon by dumb luck in a child's hearing aide. That doesn't preclude humans using really loud sounds and it not working.

Am I misremembering the movie?

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Kvlt! posted:

this one's only 97 minutes

edit: but the poster in the thumbnail says uncut? Why is it a minute shorter? :abrathink:

I like this flick quite a bit! A must watch for people who want to see old 42nd Street too but I like that, like Maniac, they hit some other spots too you don't see as often in flicks of the time.

Fortunately that difference is not one of content but some dialogue/pacing stuff. The theatrical cut version isn't even close at only like 89 minutes.

This one was really really popular in the UK because of its unique treatment as a Video Nasty because it was IIRC the only flick where one of the folks distributing it actually was put in jail for a little bit, so of course folks HAD to see this movie, so the cut version, while cut, had a very long life in theaters and video stores because a lot of the cuts were less removal of gore and more shortening of stuff. So it was still relatively violent for something you could roll into any theater to see on top of that "no really someone went to jail FOR REAL just for having this movie" status.

Gay Horney
Feb 10, 2013

by Reene

STAC Goat posted:

But like, that's not actually the resolution of that film? They were beat by a really specific and random radio frequency fumbled upon by dumb luck in a child's hearing aide. That doesn't preclude humans using really loud sounds and it not working.

Am I misremembering the movie?
I think you're right but that makes the movie dumber

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Timeless Appeal posted:

Not that I'm asking for anyone to prove me wrong here, but I really didn't notice any plot holes in A Quiet Place and every attempt to research it has just left me rolling my eyes. I mean, I know you can have fun doing a We Hate Movies-esque riff on "Why doesn't X do Y?" stuff, but it functions as well as a zombie movie, it's incredibly tense, and does a pretty good job of laying its world in an economic way.

They hunt by isolating sound and the movie even provides its own plot hole. All the military/survivors would have to do is post bases near waterfalls/other naturally loud sounding areas to throw off the creatures.

Not to mention those creatures would be useless during a storm.

Gay Horney
Feb 10, 2013

by Reene

ruddiger posted:

They hunt by isolating sound and the movie even provides its own plot hole. All the military would have to do is post bases near waterfalls/other naturally loud sounding areas to throw off the creatures.

oh yeha gently caress I forgot they could have literally just lived by a waterfall oe turned a radio on with a remote or something.

I try not to let a films premise get in the way of itself but that was easier to do ~10 years ago when films didn't feel such an obligation to explain themselves

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Gay Horney posted:

I think you're right but that makes the movie dumber

I mean, if you put the weight on that fine. But that obviously isn't what the movie's about. Its just the gun on the mantle place.

Everyone's gotta evaluate films their own way so if that breaks some kind of suspension of disbelief, so be it. I think its an ok movie but not a good enough one for me to go to war for.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006
Like look, it's okay to not like a movie and I don't think any of these are in bad faith... if they bothered you that's fine...

Gay Horney posted:

ruddiger posted:

They hunt by isolating sound and the movie even provides its own plot hole. All the military/survivors would have to do is post bases near waterfalls/other naturally loud sounding areas to throw off the creatures.

I just don't see either of these arguments as plot-holes, but kind of fun things to think about. I think the movie presents a pretty good argument that the monsters are quick and nearly invincible. A lot of these "plot holes" are easy to justify with: They killed people really, really fast and the survivors are folks like our heroes who just went into survival mode.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Yeah, we literally only see one family of survivors who have chosen to live isolated because they think its safer and easier to control (with pretty mixed results). But we're also given clear signs that there's more survivors out there and for all we know some of them are living under waterfalls or underground or whatever might be a partially effective defense. But like, since simple travel or supplies runs is a long, dangerous task where stepping on a pebble could result in death there's still probably a big threat to humanity and difficulty in organizing and fighting back.

Not to mention that the end of the movie is the sound of the gunshot killing one monster brings more monsters down on them. So it wasn't exactly a "one simple trick to saving humanity" ending.

And here I am fighting for the movie I said I wouldn't fight for. drat it.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

The dumbest part of A Quiet Place is that Jim Halpert sacrifices himself by making noise when he could have thrown a rock at the huge tin silo behind him to lure the monster away from the truck. It would have been an easy toss to make from what I recall, and you could of had him get trampled by the monster running towards the silo and killed that way instead of the corny death he had.

Gay Horney
Feb 10, 2013

by Reene
I'm being kind of stupid in your defense. whenever I see an apocalyptic scenario I can't help but think how society could get out of it or move on. apocalyptic horror always feels very impersonal to me, more like a problem to be solved than anything.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

I don't really care about tactical realism or plot holes - all of that was dumb but fine on their own. But on top of other things I found annoying, it took me out of the movie about when the baby shows up.

The amount of plot contrivances and coincidences they needed for someone to make another noise and bring the Demogorgons to do the third basement stalking scene comprised the base of those complaints. It might be less noticeable when you're fully immersed in the movie in a theater, I don't know.

The pregnant wife combined the worst of these two negatives. I know they wanted to replace the kid they got killed but maybe creating a tiny noise machine after all your prep and careful planning is not a good idea. :shrug:

STAC Goat posted:

I mean, yeah but that was definitely one done more for the key story of the daughter thinking he blames her and not forgiving her. .

This and the opening were the only effective parts for me.

weekly font fucked around with this message at 03:48 on Oct 31, 2019

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Gay Horney posted:

If Kevin Bacon and Fred Ward can figure out that loud sounds can hurt creatures that hunt by sound, then by golly, Jim from the Office should too.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

sigher posted:

The dumbest part of A Quiet Place is that Jim Halpert sacrifices himself by making noise when he could have thrown a rock at the huge tin silo behind him to lure the monster away from the truck. It would have been an easy toss to make from what I recall, and you could of had him get trampled by the monster running towards the silo and killed that way instead of the corny death he had.

I mean, yeah but that was definitely one done more for the key story of the daughter thinking he blames her and not forgiving her. Like I said, its a movie about the family, not the apocalypse. I think that's the polarizing factor since it worked for a lot of non-horror fans on that level but for a lot of horror fans it was pretty well tread apocalyptic melodrama so the focus shifts to the monsters.

CV 64 Fan
Oct 13, 2012

It's pretty dope.
Martyrs :stare:

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Took some iPhone pics and put them into a photoshop app, just to see how far I could push the iPhone

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Lurdiak posted:

All right you dinguses, give me a horror movie to watch.

Warlock.

CV 64 Fan
Oct 13, 2012

It's pretty dope.

I was thinking earlier today that it's about time I got to watching this. Gonna play some Rocket League for a mental cleanse from Martyrs and then I am putting this on.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Timeless Appeal posted:

The main issue is that the whole thing is a metaphor for Jim Office being an abusive PTSD dad, and the aliens’ behaviour is designed exclusively to fit that narrative. They obviously make zero sense as actual creatures.

While that in-itself is standard genre stuff (the film makes overt references to The Shining), Quiet Place overplays things by using laser-precise bullet monsters to represent the fear that dad might yell at you or something. It’s absurdly overblown, and for cynical reasons: superfast camouflage monsters cut down on the budget, and INSTANT DEATH AT ANY MOMENT is cheap tension. Like, the dad isn’t a jumpy psycho literally pointing a gun at everyone at all times. Dial it back a bit.

The film really demands King Kong effects. Since the whole thing is about uneasy coexistence with a violent alien intelligence, why not put a literal 800-pound gorilla in the room?

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
drat, the reanimation scene in Deadtime Stories isn't on Hellraiser's level, but the special effects people were putting in some serious work on it. That was hella goopy.

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I
Yeah, it’s pretty much the only good part of that movie, but it’s stunning. I found myself wondering how they did it for a while. I think they reversed footage of the outer layer being dissolved with peroxide for some of it.

NienNunb
Feb 15, 2012

Haunters is such a good loving documentary I love it. McKamey is the worst person in the world.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Body Melt is not very good at sticking to its premise.

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

NienNunb posted:

Haunters is such a good loving documentary I love it. McKamey is the worst person in the world.

Is that the dude who runs that extreme haunt that gave his neighbor PTSD and is very clearly satisfying some kind of dark fetish

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Do you like scary movies?

Tart Kitty posted:

Is that the dude who runs that extreme haunt that gave his neighbor PTSD and is very clearly satisfying some kind of dark fetish

While I've not sat through Haunters, McKamey's the one who only accepts dog food as payment for his "haunted house" and requires medical proof of health. From what I've heard it's pretty much anything goes short of murder and/or rape. People can pick a safe word to use but there's been a lot of accounts where the staff has ignored when it's been used.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

This is great.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3GRSz1XNT-Q

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

Tart Kitty posted:

M_Sinistrari posted:

While I've not sat through Haunters, McKamey's the one who only accepts dog food as payment for his "haunted house" and requires medical proof of health. From what I've heard it's pretty much anything goes short of murder and/or rape. People can pick a safe word to use but there's been a lot of accounts where the staff has ignored when it's been used.

That's the sicko. You even get to see him in the documentary ignore a lady (the neighbor) in question use the safe word (or at least demand to be let out). He also started hiring what amount to thugs to help operate the haunt in case anyone got too wild. It's seriously like some poo poo out of 8mm, he just hasn't killed anyone yet.

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

Timeless Appeal posted:

Toni Collette and the "drive home" sequence both push Hereditary onto a different filmmaking planet than Quiet Place

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
re:McKamey’s Manor

If you haven’t read this article from Nashville on the house from last year, it’s a great read and a look into the dude’s psyche

https://www.nashvillescene.com/arts-culture/cover-story/article/20993198/tennessees-mckamey-manor-torture-on-demand

It’s less a haunted house and more a real-world version of the Sorry to Bother You game show I Got the poo poo Kicked Out of Me

There’s also a really startling part of the story where he basically doesn’t deny that he beat the poo poo out of a woman beyond what’s normal for the experience because he didn’t like that she was having an emotional affair with someone over the internet (????)

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
Also the Netflix show Dark Tourist (which is fantastic start to finish) goes there in the last episode. It's wild to see how McKamey Manor has evolved between Haunters and Dark Tourist, and then to the reports coming out now.

Like, there's a part in the waiver that says "if you're picked to go to the Dentist scenario, they may pull out one of your teeth without anesthetic"

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

i was in a dunks this morning getting some coffee and theres sometimes pigs there that like to harass me and this guy was all suited up and i was like oh gently caress here we go but he had a massive LOOMIS nametag and he was just dressed up for halloween lmao it was a pretty cool costume, nice guy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

Kvlt! posted:

i was in a dunks this morning getting some coffee and theres sometimes pigs there that like to harass me and this guy was all suited up and i was like oh gently caress here we go but he had a massive LOOMIS nametag and he was just dressed up for halloween lmao it was a pretty cool costume, nice guy

lmao hell yeah