Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

DalaranJ posted:

You may occasionally* notice a floating psychic vampire following Norman. Also the vampire has Tourette syndrome. Please do not mention this.

*Always

Is this a reference to the PT demo?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Some of the Sheep
May 25, 2005
POSSIBLY IT WOULD BE SIMPLER IF I ASKED FOR A LIST OF THE HARMLESS CREATURES OF THE AFORESAID CONTINENT?
Extremely tickled that the run through of the cast features all of the actors crying, except Guillermo Del Toro.

FallenGod
May 23, 2002

Unite, Afro Warriors!

I've somehow managed to watch absolutely nothing related to this game except the very first trailer all those years ago. Looking forward to playing some sort of video game next Friday.

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.

Some of the Sheep posted:

Extremely tickled that the run through of the cast features all of the actors crying, except Guillermo Del Toro.

hes crying the in the release date trailer if i recall.

edit: oh lmao, he aint there either. no tears for konami from del toro.

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
i'm curious/terrified of what an untethered kojima is capable of

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
I read somewhere that once George Lucas became famous, wealthy, and powerful enough, there was nobody left around him to tell him no to any of his terrible ideas. I have a feeling that Kojima has reached that level.

Grei Skuring
Sep 12, 2011

:norway::thumbsup:
Can't wait! Certain games really hype me up, but they are so far between. Kojima's games consistently do so, and I think it's because they're generally unpredictable, have rad aesthetics, great music and interesting gameplay. I remember as a younger dude looking almost unhealthily forward to some games, and I feel a tinge of that very feeling after that trailer. I have full confidence that I'll like it, from what I can gather. That's rare.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."

Gologle posted:

I read somewhere that once George Lucas became famous, wealthy, and powerful enough, there was nobody left around him to tell him no to any of his terrible ideas. I have a feeling that Kojima has reached that level.

Someone needs to photoshop the BB giving a thumbs down so I can use it to respond to this post

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

Gologle posted:

Except it's a good thing in Kojima's case

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Gologle posted:

interesting I feel the exact opposite

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

I said come in! posted:

Is this a reference to the PT demo?

No, I just made up something ridiculous that would fit in a Kojima game.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

DalaranJ posted:

No, I just made up something ridiculous that would fit in a Kojima game.

Unintentionally did it anyways! :v: It turned out in PT, that your character is just an invisible camera with a ghost model attached to it the entire time, and when its time for a scare the camera just turns around to view the ghost model. It's actually a really fascinating system that works even if it feels like its hacked together.

Chello De Don
Nov 12, 2006

and now i do

I said come in! posted:

Unintentionally did it anyways! :v: It turned out in PT, that your character is just an invisible camera with a ghost model attached to it the entire time, and when its time for a scare the camera just turns around to view the ghost model. It's actually a really fascinating system that works even if it feels like its hacked together.

lots of games are developed this way, they're all just a series of elaborate tricks and illusions really.

Zikan
Feb 29, 2004

Gologle posted:

that's good as hell

Miss Mowcher
Jul 24, 2007

Ribbit
While Kojima is awesome, gotta give some credits to Yoji Shinkawa too. Without him it wouldn't be the same (this game and the metal gear ones).

PYF Shinkawa art

Miss Mowcher fucked around with this message at 02:46 on Oct 31, 2019

Atomic Robo-Kid
Aug 18, 2008

.Blast.Processing.

ZZZorcerer posted:

While Kojima is awesome, gotta give some credits to Yoji Shinkawa too. Without him it wouldn't be the same (this game and the metal gear ones)

What exactly does/did Shinkawa contribute to DS and MGS before? I know he's done concept art for them but I'm assuming there's more to it then that?

Miss Mowcher
Jul 24, 2007

Ribbit

Atomic Robo-Kid posted:

What exactly does/did Shinkawa contribute to DS and MGS before? I know he's done concept art for them but I'm assuming there's more to it then that?

Well, since he does the concept art he's influencing the game visual in some way. (I have no idea, but I imagine Kojima saying some crazy stuff then Shinkawa goes "brb gotta draw some stuff" then they give it to art people working on the game)

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

ZZZorcerer posted:

PYF Shinkawa art

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

The tracks go off in this direction.
Isn’t Shinkawa the Art Director on most of Kojima’s games? His contributions go beyond concept art sketches. I imagine he’s at least equally responsible for the aesthetics and color palette of Kojima’s games.

Spite
Jul 27, 2001

Small chance of that...
he's been the art director for all of kojima's projects since metal gear solid at least.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

That launch trailer is great stuff!

Random note on naming a character America, one of the most acclaimed Judge Dredd stories (America by John Wagner) did that memorably too.

Thumbtacks posted:

i'm curious/terrified of what an untethered kojima is capable of

:bisonyes:

Brutakas
Oct 10, 2012

Farewell, marble-dwellers!
In addition to art, Shinkawa also does the mech (robots and gadgets) designs for most of Kojima's stuff.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

redreader posted:

Oh. I clean forgot my most important point. Part of the NDA / review agreement said: "if you review this game you absolutely are expected to have completed it"

I hate how sometimes games are reviewed only over the first hour.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

Unused Shinkawa design for an adult Chico. It gives me more heebie jeebies than anything in the entire MGS canon.

There wasn’t much explanation but the fan theory is that he was supposed to fill the Cyborg Ninja role in MGSV, was a continuation of the cycle of violence and that his face was supposed to be reminiscent of a Japanese goblin.

Between his “sword” being a machete and his other weapons, he really has a serial killer/Jason/Michael Myers thing going on

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 05:52 on Oct 31, 2019

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

ZZZorcerer posted:

PYF Shinkawa art

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

All this Shinkawa art is making me wonder if he takes commissions and if I have enough of a budget to afford one.

Mutant Headcrab
May 14, 2007

Steve Yun posted:

Between his “sword” being a machete and his other weapons, he really has a serial killer/Jason/Michael Myers thing going on

Slasher films rose to their greatest prominence during the 80s. There's no way this wasn't the intention on this design.

Brutakas
Oct 10, 2012

Farewell, marble-dwellers!
He did the art for the Japanese release of Pacific Rim and honestly, it's wasted on that movie.

Now imagine a Zone of the Enders 3

Orv
May 4, 2011
Robot dick ain't big enough for that.

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

His mech designs are some of the few mechs I’ve ever actually liked in a genre I care veeeeery little for

He made Rex look so goddamn tyrannical, hulking nearfuture nuclear death machine that was bulky and ugly, but still eerily GRACEFUL

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.

Atomic Robo-Kid posted:

Shinkawa is more or less responsible for all the character and mech designs in the entire series.

I love how Shinkawa's art is so iconic that he can make anything look cool.

Including that Left Alive game no one apparently liked.

WaltherFeng fucked around with this message at 18:36 on Oct 31, 2019

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

Macaluso posted:

Launch trailer:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W-hyFSivSmw

In very Kojima fashion, it's nearly 8 minutes long
Oh good, an estranged/possibly dead love interest asking the protagonist to meet her at "their special place", that never ends badly in video games!

Proletarian Mango
May 21, 2011

poo poo this comes out so soon I thought it was releasing on the 20th

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

CapnAndy posted:

Oh good, an estranged/possibly dead love interest asking the protagonist to meet her at "their special place", that never ends badly in video games!

The midgame twist is when you make a delivery to an isolated town in Western Pennsylvania and it turns out that Kojima actually still works for Konami and all the drama of the last five years has been the world's greatest marketing stunt.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Upmarket Mango posted:

poo poo this comes out so soon I thought it was releasing on the 20th

You're thinking of the other weird hosed up game: Pokemon

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

BB is Big Boss.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Baby Boss... Boss Baby...

CapnAndy posted:

I did think of Silent Hill 2 there, great stuff. It also is a trope you see a lot in Japan especially, that heartstring tugging thing where your love interest has to go through time or turn into starlight or whatever. Not that I think it'll be quite like that here, but it's always a classic bit of imagery and emotion to play around with. Definitely ominous here. I also get a bit of The Boss from MGS3 in the vibe. Being you're on a mission for her or something like that.

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

President Amelie is 100% your mom girlfriend like The Boss.

Mean Baby
May 28, 2005

BB is most definitely a metaphor for big boss and the whole plot is clearly an allegory for the development of MGSV.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.
I was just cracking the obvious joke and literally only remembered just now that this whole project did, in fact, start as a Silent Hill game.