Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Billzasilver
Nov 8, 2016

I lift my drink and sing a song

for who knows if life is short or long?

Man's life is like the morning dew

past days many, future days few

Excalibur was good. That part in the beginning where =-[*A*]-= was super excited about all the mutants boning and making new Omega mutants was hilarious.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

EGG

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

I love having two giant As on his costume is not enough, so he needs one in his name now, too.

Excalibur hit all the right spots for me. It seems weird that this is the first time that Apocalypse has really cooperated with any of the X-men proper; they've never ever been strange bedfellows, have they? I'm loving all his interactions with the people of Krakoa.

Otherworld brings back some great memories of OG Excalibur stuff so it's lovely to see it again. I do find it odd that nobody consulted the Braddocks about bringing their crazy reality warping brother back to life. We know that Xavier wants to get his hands on as many omega mutants as possible, but still, you'd think that they might institute some counter-measures before resurrecting the guy whose shtick is going crazy and needing to be killed.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

Rochallor posted:

Otherworld brings back some great memories of OG Excalibur stuff so it's lovely to see it again. I do find it odd that nobody consulted the Braddocks about bringing their crazy reality warping brother back to life. We know that Xavier wants to get his hands on as many omega mutants as possible, but still, you'd think that they might institute some counter-measures before resurrecting the guy whose shtick is going crazy and needing to be killed.

Jaime Braddock went crazy because Doctor Crocodile captured him and tortured him (with the eventual consent of Brian no less) for years on end. Being crazy isn't necessarily how Jamie Braddock always exists. However, his mutant powers also didn't manifest until years into the torture...and since he clearly has his powers now, that does suggest the memory dump includes the time he spent getting tortured. On the other hand, Proteus is usually just as crazy as Jamie normally is and seems to be doing fine (as long as they keep feeding him new Xavier bodies) and Jamie is acting like his pre-torture self, ie a selfish shitheel, rather than the disassociated mess he usually is, so perhaps Xavier did some brain tinkering while he was in the egg? :shrug:

Besides, if he can be kept under a semblance of control, Jaime Braddock is astoundingly powerful, and is powerful enough to theoretically fill in for Proteus in the Five if the latter gets run over by a bus or goes crazy again. That alone makes him worth bringing back, to say nothing of the general "we're bringing everyone back" core principle they've committed to.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice
Definitely cool for those into it, but as expected I'm out on Excalibur after issue #1. Magic and King Arthur stuff is just not what I read mutant books for. I'm sure Marvel was very strategic in splitting up the popular X-Men into as many books as humanly possible but Rogue and Gambit just aren't a big draw for me. A-dog is the only part I'm sort of interested in but I'm sure this thread will keep me abreast of his comings and goings.

I did order a set of variant covers of all the #2 issues though so I guess I may as well read #2, which won't ship until the last of the set comes out.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

I’m sort of surprised they haven’t tried to tie Apocalypse in with Camelot sooner. I’m happy I liked this one. This and Fallen Angels are the ones I’m worried about being the weak links.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Her?

Transistor Rhythm
Feb 16, 2011

If setting the Sustain Level in the ENV to around 7, you can obtain a howling sound.

Original Excalibur is one of my favorite books ever, and while this obviously isn’t meant to be an exact replacement, it feels a little off-brand. I love the idea of Betsy as new Captain Britain, but Gambit, Rogue, and Jubilee are probably the farthest characters from a magic-focused X-book possible.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kyar2C_wEq8

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

Transistor Rhythm posted:

Original Excalibur is one of my favorite books ever, and while this obviously isn’t meant to be an exact replacement, it feels a little off-brand. I love the idea of Betsy as new Captain Britai, but Gambit, Rogue, Andre Jubilee are probably the farthest characters from a magic-focused X-book possible.

Jubilee had that whole vampire thing for awhile which was pretty magic adjacent. Rogue and Gambit as the fish out of water could work. My problem was the pacing, which felt off to me, somehow. I dunno, maybe it was just a first issue problem, but the whole thing felt rushed to me. :shrug:

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

jng2058 posted:

Jubilee had that whole vampire thing for awhile which was pretty magic adjacent. Rogue and Gambit as the fish out of water could work. My problem was the pacing, which felt off to me, somehow. I dunno, maybe it was just a first issue problem, but the whole thing felt rushed to me. :shrug:

The bit with the coven did feel... I dunno, truncated?

bagrada
Aug 4, 2007

The Demogorgon is tired of your silly human bickering!

A lot of the teams seem so far to be made up of whomever is nearby on Krakoa when things kick off. Which can be fun in the short run. I'm enjoying everything so far but there's only so long I'll keep buying every book, especially if they are bimonthly or double shipping or whatever its called these days.

I'm definitely interested in seeing villains like Sinister, Apocalypse and Stryfe get more Magneto time, where even if they aren't redeemed you get to see some downtime with them where they aren't grandstanding or fighting and get a better sense of them. I realized I know almost nothing about them. It doesn't help that their powers are kind of nebulous and are basically whatever the writer and artist want to do with them. Has ----===> *A* <===--- always had mental powers too? Thinking back on his prior appearances I can only remember the horsemen and not much about him.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Yeah, like that's gonna stick.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Goldballs donated $5 and said...

Egg!

Adder Moray
Nov 18, 2010
I like the idea of teams just being whoever was nearby with a relevant power and willing to go on whatever cockamamie adventure the person asking has cooked up.

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

A smile better suits a hero

It just seems like how that would happen when you have all the mutants just milling about a big-rear end, developing island. You just grab the people in arm's reach and get to your mischief. I'm all loving for it.

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

I really liked both Marauders and Excalibur, but I'm a bit lukewarm on X-Men, surprisingly enough. Still, it looks like this new crop of X-books is going to be really good. It feels good to have X-Men at the top of the game again. :)

Cael
Feb 2, 2004

I get this funky high on the yellow sun.

JordanKai posted:

It feels good to have X-Men at the top of the game again. :)

That’s probably the biggest takeaway. Love or hate an individual book or two, it would be insane to argue that the overall X-Men line isn’t better than it has been in a good long while.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Excalibur didn't really catch me. I'll give it another issue or two, but pacing seemed really off and the cast just isn't one I'm digging much. And yeah, I'm not super into magic X-Men. But I've liked Howard's other stuff, so she might just need to get in the flow.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

The pacing seemed all over the place, but the pieces are good. Pulling Jubes, Rogue, and Gambit into a plot involving Apocalypse, Morgan La Fay, and Betsy becoming Captain Britain again sounds like it’ll be fun, and carve its own unique corner of this bold new X universe.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Adder Moray posted:

I like the idea of teams just being whoever was nearby with a relevant power and willing to go on whatever cockamamie adventure the person asking has cooked up.

Yeah, X-Men is supposed to be Scott and whoever he picks for missions. It's already nice to see some forgotten characters used again, even if it's just a panel or page.

Diet Poison
Jan 20, 2008

LICK MY ASS
I was very solidly meh on Excalibur, but Marauders was great. I decided I can only afford two X-books and I want the main Hickman book but I also really want Fallen Angels cause I have a huge chunk of X-23 issues now. If it's anything less than stellar, I'm gonna have to switch my sub to Marauders. gently caress, I don't even like Kitty Kate.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
https://twitter.com/LordRetail/status/1189645991730991105?s=20

Parallax
Jan 14, 2006

x-menf

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Can someone explain this? I genuinely don't get it.

Oh. X-Men. Duh.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

I just caught up on the whole line, and Hickman is such a magnificent bastard, the whole of HoX/PoX was absolutely fantastic.

I didn't care much for Excalibur, though as others have said it might just be because the whole Capt. Britain/Psylocke Otherworld stuff never appealed to me. I also thought it was by far the low point of Uncanny X-Force.

Marauders was fun, though. I really appreciate the fact that all the books are using the same graphic design in the intro pages.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

I never much cared for the Otherworld stuff and I too agree it was the lowest point of Uncanny X-Force, yet I'm in for more issues of this Excalibur run. The art is gorgeous and I'm liking this characterization of both Betsy and -=A=-.

Billzasilver
Nov 8, 2016

So is it Asian Psylovke in the other x-men books? I think I heard Psylocke would be in Fallen Angels and one more book.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Billzasilver posted:

So is it Asian Psylovke in the other x-men books? I think I heard Psylocke would be in Fallen Angels and one more book.

Psylocke is Kwannon, yeah.

Betsy Braddock is Captain Britain now.

Adder Moray
Nov 18, 2010
Side note: I really do want the reason Cable is in Fallen Angels to be that he woke up one night, heard what Cyclops, Wolverine, and Jean get up to, and slowly backed away all the way into the nearest portal.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Adder Moray posted:

Side note: I really do want the reason Cable is in Fallen Angels to be that he woke up one night, heard what Cyclops, Wolverine, and Jean get up to, and slowly backed away all the way into the nearest portal.

"Laura, you don't understand, I just... I had to get out of there. My room is across the building and I still heard everything."

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Alaois posted:

"Laura, you don't understand, I just... I had to get out of there. My room is across the building and I still heard everything."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NRwkcV1VL7k

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I really enjoyed Marauders and Excalibur. X-men just continuing the fight against Orchid is kind of, meh?

Sloppy drunk Kitty is my favorite Kitty now. Sorry, Kate.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Was young Cable introduced somewhere else, and if so what's the deal with that

Kaleidoscope
Sep 8, 2007

The Internet makes me dizzy.

Hakkesshu posted:

Was young Cable introduced somewhere else, and if so what's the deal with that

the most recent x-force series I think? He showed up and "retired" old cable for getting soft and allowing the original five x-men to remain in the present 616 timeline for so long.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

He was introduced in X-Men: Extermination, then was a main character in X-Force.

Diet Poison
Jan 20, 2008

LICK MY ASS
I actually like the idea that Cable's existence vis-a-vis the timestream is so hosed up that he can show up and kill himself and carry on without it really messing with continuity. I totally expect some version of Old Cable to come back and either "retire" the young one or work alongside him.

Billzasilver
Nov 8, 2016

^thats what made the recent Thor so good

Edit: and thanos, actually

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Hm, I wonder why Moira isnt banning time travellers the same way she's doing with precogs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Abroham Lincoln
Sep 19, 2011

Note to self: This one's the good one

Synthbuttrange posted:

Hm, I wonder why Moira isnt banning time travellers the same way she's doing with precogs.

The act of time travel spawning new universes would be my guess. There's a very real deniability when it comes to whatever a multiverse duplicate of yourself is doing.