Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Babylon Astronaut posted:

Oh I remember. I was really pissed too when +R didn't get a Wii port when ^CORE and ^CORE Plus both got one. It was a top selling console, and +R is basically a balance patch. It lead me to changing characters from testament because all the online I played was #Reload on PC with the fan patch.

AC+ for the wii was my Jam, but I can hardly fault ASW for not patching it since it was still the Wii and nintendo had a policy at the time about not patching games post launch. Plus by the time +R started coming out on consoles the WiiU was already out and the PS4/XBone were coming out, patching the digital versions was just much easier given Microsoft and Sony's policies being open towards that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Tiger Millionaire posted:

Im tired of getting my rear end beat in Ult at locals (and also being like 10 years older than the average crowd) so I wanna learn to get my rear end beat in another fighter.

Is SFV good yet? Are there any decent fundamental focused fighters popular atm? Never really enjoyed Tekken or MK.
Unist. I know it's an anime game but Unist is not Melty Blood or Guilty Gear, it's very much based on fundamentals. The pace is a bit faster than something like SFV and combos are flashier but you still have to commit to stuff and bait out stuff, it's not a game where people use the phrase 'air footsies.'

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Endorph posted:

Unist. I know it's an anime game but Unist is not Melty Blood or Guilty Gear, it's very much based on fundamentals. The pace is a bit faster than something like SFV and combos are flashier but you still have to commit to stuff and bait out stuff, it's not a game where people use the phrase 'air footsies.'

For example, you can't block in the air.

Arzachel
May 12, 2012

Spanish Manlove posted:

For example, you can't block in the air.

You can, but only projectiles and air normals, I think?

Tiger Millionaire
Jan 25, 2014

He'll eat your kids and fire your parents!
Unist seems perfect. Had brushed it off as an anime fighter before actually looking into it.

Thirsty Dog
May 31, 2007

Would SamSho also be a strong fundamentals game, or am I just wrong for basing this almost entirely on it not being an effects explosion with huge combos or juggles

Live Free
Jan 5, 2019

by VideoGames

Thirsty Dog posted:

Would SamSho also be a strong fundamentals game, or am I just wrong for basing this almost entirely on it not being an effects explosion with huge combos or juggles

samsho is pretty much distilled fighting games. it's slower sure but it comes off as tense rather than boring imo. it's a fantastic game. but then so is UNIST.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Arzachel posted:

You can, but only projectiles and air normals, I think?

Yes

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Thirsty Dog posted:

I always forget about samsho. It's fun and very much a footsies fundamental game

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!

Brought To You By posted:

AC+ for the wii was my Jam, but I can hardly fault ASW for not patching it since it was still the Wii and nintendo had a policy at the time about not patching games post launch.

I’m pretty sure it was even stupider than that, and physical Wii games couldn’t be patched on a technical level. Nintendo’s solution to a Zelda bug was to replace people’s disks, after all.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Gutcruncher posted:

I’m pretty sure it was even stupider than that, and physical Wii games couldn’t be patched on a technical level. Nintendo’s solution to a Zelda bug was to replace people’s disks, after all.

Outside of a TechRadar article talking about why implementing the Motion+ onto older Wii titles is infeasible, I can't find a specific reason why Wii titles are "technically impossible" to patch. At least through the various homebrew options people have been able to add features to games even if you're reading it from the disc (Fatal Frame IV's english patch comes to mind) and I would assume the same could be done without such measures since the console is capable of updating it's other features and channels. And another comment I found stated that Nintendo had a policy that games shouldn't need a patch to be feature complete or free of major bugs (i agree honestly). But nobody can find the documentation to justify this as a company policy and not also the result of technical limitations of the console.

Plus there was DLC for some rare Wii titles so the idea of downloading content wasn't out the window. It just seems Nintendo handled any issues to titles on subsequent printings of particular games. I also remember when Other M was out there was a glitch that could have you mailing in your console itself to fix. So basically I have no idea why, but yeah we're not getting +R for the wii.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Brought To You By posted:

I can't find a specific reason why Wii titles are "technically impossible" to patch.
There's no real official "patching" system on the Wii like there was on other consoles of its generation. Whenever a showstopping bug in a first party game crept out, Nintendo either had to put out a special dedicated app to work around it (like the Zelda save game fixer) or patch the entire operating system to handle it (like Wii Sports Resort's bugfix). Third parties simply had to sit and spin.

Xad
Jul 2, 2009

"Either Sonic is God, or could kill God, and I do not care if there is a difference!"

College Slice
Yeah afaik the way the "patches" worked on the wii was that it was basically something like the Wii system menu would get updated so that whenever a specific game was launched, it would do something. Like the twilight exploit was "fixed" by just patching the system to look for save files where the horse's name was too long. They didn't actually fix the overflow bug in TP

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Hitting the Home button didn’t even call up some overarching “system menu” like the other consoles of its time. That menu was a part of the game itself, which I why depending on the game you might get a black background, might get a transparent background, or might get a menu that’s stretched to the wrong aspect ratio and runs like poo poo.

mysterious loyall X
Jul 8, 2003

Tiger Millionaire posted:

Im tired of getting my rear end beat in Ult at locals (and also being like 10 years older than the average crowd) so I wanna learn to get my rear end beat in another fighter.

Is SFV good yet? Are there any decent fundamental focused fighters popular atm? Never really enjoyed Tekken or MK.

Fantasy Strike by David "Sirwin" Sirlin

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Wtf you can’t buy Mai for DOA5 anymore. Why the hell was she never ever on sale even when they knew the moment she was becoming unbuyable?

This is the problem with guest characters, as neat as they are.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

she's been trapped in the attack on titan stage also not for sale

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
The VF characters looked fine in DOA but Mai had that gross modern DOA realdoll look

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

god the vf characters in doa5 were fun to play

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Nostalgia4Butts posted:

god the vf characters in doa5 were fun to play

Less talk, more action!

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

YOURE 10 YEARS TOO EARLY!!

HerniaFlange
Aug 4, 2013

You when you read my posts:
DOA is determined to accommodate all horny. ALL horny.

Extra Large Marge
Jan 21, 2004

Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/DOATEC_OFFICIAL/status/1189383925984043009?s=20

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest
That's hilarious. I will say from the looks of it, the stages of DOA6 look pretty cool. Reminds me of Bushido Blade a bit the way you can actively move to completely different arenas.

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Yes DOA6 is a very good game and also 15 bucks on amazon right now

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07DXBPNTH

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

doa6 is cool and the stages are great

$15 is a steal

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Frame Data FREE? In my titty jiggle simulator??

HerniaFlange
Aug 4, 2013

AndyElusive posted:

Frame Data FREE? In my titty jiggle simulator??

Oh no they're going to add a display of the math for how the breasts move aren't they. Vectors/velocity, angle of deflection when they hit each other, etc.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

HerniaFlange posted:

Oh no they're going to add a display of the math for how the breasts move aren't they. Vectors/velocity, angle of deflection when they hit each other, etc.

This is the fighting game content I crave.

Big Scary Owl
Oct 1, 2014

by Fluffdaddy

HerniaFlange posted:

:yeshaha:

Arzachel
May 12, 2012
They can pump out another 1000 bucks worth of costumes and it'll still be less of a titty game than SC6.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

This is a pretty good roast.

dorkasaurus_rex
Jun 10, 2005

gawrsh do you think any women will be there

There is one thing which automatically makes SF V the best fighter of the generation:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bvc69jTXe_0

whenimmashoo
Jun 12, 2013

dorkasaurus_rex posted:

There is one thing which automatically makes SF V the best fighter of the generation:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bvc69jTXe_0

This would have been the most well received new character of the generation were it not for Leroy Smith.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
I don't think any of SFV's characters rise above "better than Fuerte, I guess" and a lot of them are terrible and destined never to return.

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

How can we bring Q back for SFV? What if we give him a way shittier outfit and make him an irl vlogger? Done, print it.

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007
Keen on the hygiene and on the mission like a super technician.
G is fantastic and Capcom should bring him back for future SF's.

Better yet, they should commit and officially turn him into Q.

HerniaFlange
Aug 4, 2013

Plot Twist: Q is the Qanon guy. His stage would be a burning pizza restaurant with firefighters pulling children out from a bulkhead on the side.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
G is fun but I don't like that he's Q. Q is fun because of the mystery and I don't think we should ever get to see beneath the mask, especially not when the character underneath is so tonally different than what Q is

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hobojim
Oct 31, 2011

Arzachel posted:

I'd prooobably wait for next week's steam sale

Here's the chart:

Matchmaking is usable
-Tekken

Have to hit people up on Discord or w/e
-literally every other fighting game

For KoF14, there's the dreamcancel and KoF Newbies discords but I'm not sure how active those are.

Both discords are very active most days and right now is a good time to get in to the game, as a lot of new players hopped in on the game either when Terry was announced for Smash or when it went on sale a couple of weeks ago. PS4 has a bigger group of players but PC is reasonably active at the moment too, both for XIII and XIV.