Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

MrOnBicycle posted:

The Obsessed Garage guy much prefers Swisstrax to Epoxy coatings.

I'll probably end up looking into both options for my next garage. The appeal of swisstrax to me would be that I can install it in sections instead of having to find a place for everything in the garage during the epoxy work + when I inevitably move I could take it with me and use it in the new place.

However cost being probably double so...eh I will just need to get some epoxy quotes I suppose.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

My plan is when I inevitably destroy this coating of epoxy is to just rough it up and paint it again!

Even if i spend $300 on epoxy paint every 10-15 years its not a bad cost per day!

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Fermented Tinal posted:

When I build a garage I'm thinking terrazzo for the floor, the binder these days is epoxy and basically modern terrazzo is impermeable.

Please post pics.

Down in south Florida, houses built before the early-mid sixties mostly had terrazzo floors. Over the years, many got ruined by lovely carpet installers laying tack strip, and even more (most) got destroyed because it’s a dead-flat and smooth surface to lay tile on. The very few undamaged original floors I’ve seen have been absolutely gorgeous after they get cleaned up.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

Ferremit posted:

My plan is when I inevitably destroy this coating of epoxy is to just rough it up and paint it again!

Even if i spend $300 on epoxy paint every 10-15 years its not a bad cost per day!

What is there to destroy it in your climate, burnouts?

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica

MrYenko posted:

Please post pics.

Down in south Florida, houses built before the early-mid sixties mostly had terrazzo floors. Over the years, many got ruined by lovely carpet installers laying tack strip, and even more (most) got destroyed because it’s a dead-flat and smooth surface to lay tile on. The very few undamaged original floors I’ve seen have been absolutely gorgeous after they get cleaned up.

Terrazzo seemed to be really popular down there even into the 90s in public builds. The elementary, middle, and high schools I went to in Orlando all had large expanses of terrazzo floors, but in a godawful yellow-orange that OCPS must've mandated or something.

As for when I build a garage, it will be a long time from now, and if I do go with an epoxy-based terrazzo floor it will be boring and relatively uniform in colour. I just think it makes a great surface and at least it's more than just a layer of epoxy.

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

I'm thinking that asbestos tile is probably the correct choice. Think of the fire resistance.

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

Seat Safety Switch posted:

What is there to destroy it in your climate, burnouts?

Mechanical damage really- Dropping poo poo, welding slag, grinding rocks into it with the tyres of the 4wd's that frequent my shed. Theres a pair of easily 1" wide, 1/2" deep chips in it already where my mates bullbar fell off some saw horses and landed on it, plus a heap of burn marks from the welder, plasma, oxy etc.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Mr. Powers posted:

I'm thinking that asbestos tile is probably the correct choice. Think of the fire resistance.

Had this in my garage when I moved in. Dude epoxied right over it. You could see the 9x9 squares under it since it cracked around the edges of the tile. Also it started breaking up when using a floor jack. It's since been removed. Hopefully my lungs aren't hosed.

Tremek
Jun 10, 2005

Mr. Powers posted:

Get behind me Satan. Don’t you put that evil on me

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

I ended up with an extra GladiatorTM wall-track that had me considering mounting it above another piece I already have on the wall so I could throw a Gladiator box on it. However looking online the cabinets seem pretty expensive. What pre-made cabinets for garages do ya'll like? I'm not adverse to just mounting to studs and saving a bunch of money.

TacoHavoc
Dec 31, 2007
It's taco-y and havoc-y...at the same time!

tangy yet delightful posted:

I ended up with an extra GladiatorTM wall-track that had me considering mounting it above another piece I already have on the wall so I could throw a Gladiator box on it. However looking online the cabinets seem pretty expensive. What pre-made cabinets for garages do ya'll like? I'm not adverse to just mounting to studs and saving a bunch of money.

The gladiator stuff goes on pretty good sale at home depot a few times a year and makes it more reasonable, I've hit those sales a few times. I have a harbor freight 3-door cabinet https://www.harborfreight.com/hanging-tool-cabinet-39213.html that's okay for the price. If you're not in a hurry, facebook marketplace/craigslist can have some good deals as well.

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

Thanks yeah I'll see if possibly HD will run some black friday sales and will also scour CL, didn't know if they'd come up much. I'm not in a huge hurry specifically just trying to somewhat gameplan the longer term as my new place inevitably fills up with crap [that i might need someday].

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Menards stocks some decent cabinets and they run 11% off all purchases every 3 weeks.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

How's this for a tool cart?

This is one of the shelves i got from the rv place, i just had to replace the wood. I'm going to rig it up with the welder and vacuum, a bunch of LEDs to illuminate from the bottom or top, and maybe a small compressor. Have 1 cord for everything. and i can just roll it all wherever i need it. my vaccum is burnt out so i'm going to be specifically looking for one that fits on the bottom shelf so i can put a lip around the top 2 shelves and use them for parts/tools.I'm also going to mount a power bar to the upright part on one of the shelves. Cutting square holes was a pain in the rear end.

I've still got a rolling wire shelf thing that i think i can turn into a winter paint booth for small parts.

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010

Powershift posted:

How's this for a tool cart?

This is one of the shelves i got from the rv place, i just had to replace the wood. I'm going to rig it up with the welder and vacuum, a bunch of LEDs to illuminate from the bottom or top, and maybe a small compressor. Have 1 cord for everything. and i can just roll it all wherever i need it. my vaccum is burnt out so i'm going to be specifically looking for one that fits on the bottom shelf so i can put a lip around the top 2 shelves and use them for parts/tools.I'm also going to mount a power bar to the upright part on one of the shelves. Cutting square holes was a pain in the rear end.

I've still got a rolling wire shelf thing that i think i can turn into a winter paint booth for small parts.

I think I'd add some small rails to the shelves so small rolly bits like sockets and such won't fall off. Some 1/2" quarter-round or some such with the flat facing in.

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010
Babby's first "shop air" setup, aka "New and interesting ways to annoy my neighbors"

Having air is so goddamn nice. If I clean something with brake cleaner, I don't have to wait for it to dry, I can just blast it. I don't have to run down to the gas station to fill my little portable tank. If I want to reuse a pair of nitrile gloves, I can blow them right-side-out without them getting all clammy from my moist exhalation.

I only have the chuck and the nozzle for now, but all I have eyes for is the future.

What should I get for my first air tool? I've already got a Craftsman 18v 1/2" impact, so I don't need that sort of thing, but maybe something like a grinder/cutoff wheel? Air hammer/chisel? It's only a 6-gal tank, so it can't be anything too spicy, but I'm excited.

Beach Bum fucked around with this message at 16:09 on Nov 23, 2019

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Air hammers are God tier when you need one. They use a poo poo ton of air though so you'll be working in very short bursts.

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

You shared it with a dick.

Beach Bum posted:

What should I get for my first air tool? I've already got a Craftsman 18v 1/2" impact, so I don't need that sort of thing, but maybe something like a grinder/cutoff wheel? Air hammer/chisel? It's only a 6-gal tank, so it can't be anything too spicy, but I'm excited.

Yeah not sure what you're planning to do with that but all it'll really be good for is filling tires and drying things like you said. I have a 25 gallon craftsman and trying to knock one stuck nut loose with an air impact will drain it about halfway before the nut is loose. I usually have to charge 2-3 times to get a stubborn crank pulley nut off. And I tried using an air saw designed for windshield removal and I could cut about 2 feet of the urethane before running out of air. took me 3 fills to get halfway around the glass, then I broke it as expected. Electric is the way to go for tools now anyway.

I do love being able to fill my tires at home though, it's just really convenient.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Don't know of a better place to put this but the guys at work needed better lighting in the workshop so I sorted it.

2 X 66,360 lumen units, 460w each. A4 paper for scale.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

And cakesmith handyman said "let there be light"

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

cakesmith handyman posted:

Don't know of a better place to put this but the guys at work needed better lighting in the workshop so I sorted it.

2 X 66,360 lumen units, 460w each. A4 paper for scale.

Request for source, price, and pics with them fired up.

Crunchy Black
Oct 24, 2017

by Athanatos

meatpimp posted:

Request for source, price, and pics with them fired up.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

A sodding ridiculous amount of light.

Source is CEF for £530 each without VAT, we get a slight discount too. Pictures when installed properly.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

cakesmith handyman posted:

A sodding ridiculous amount of light.

Source is CEF for £530 each without VAT, we get a slight discount too. Pictures when installed properly.

The specs on those look amazing. I need to source something like that in freedom land.

Pr0kjayhawk
Nov 30, 2002

:pervert:Zoom Zoom, motherfuckers:pervert:
Started a minor garage organization project a few weeks ago. Making decent progress but still a ton of work to go.

Before:

After:

Went with Newage pro cabinets, sink, and a Husky 61" workbench with all the fancy soft-close business. So far I've done drywall repair, texturing, painting, water valve replacement, p-trap/drain pipe replacement, and removed a busted water softener.

I ended up with 1/2" of space length-wise, exactly what I expected from measuring the space and looking at dimensions online. I knew it would be a tight fit but I was shocked when the last piece fit perfectly into place.

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

drat, I'm jealous. I swear I'm organizing the garage between xmas and new year's this year

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010
Oh, that's nice. Well done.

Give us another picture in a month of the inevitable devolution back into chaos :v:

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

Very nice!

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

Pr0kjayhawk posted:

Started a minor garage organization project a few weeks ago. Making decent progress but still a ton of work to go.

Before:

After:

Went with Newage pro cabinets, sink, and a Husky 61" workbench with all the fancy soft-close business. So far I've done drywall repair, texturing, painting, water valve replacement, p-trap/drain pipe replacement, and removed a busted water softener.

I ended up with 1/2" of space length-wise, exactly what I expected from measuring the space and looking at dimensions online. I knew it would be a tight fit but I was shocked when the last piece fit perfectly into place.

I've got that Husky bench and I like it a lot. Pro Tip: some stickers don't like sticking to that wrinkle finish.

Gorson
Aug 29, 2014

Pr0kjayhawk posted:

Before:

After:

This is art!

I'm looking for some thick, tough, textured rubber for the top of my tool box. I've seen this stuff on the tops of higher end tool boxes, it's nearly a half inch thick and has ridges like Ruffles chips. Menards and Amazon sells rolls of thinner stuff that is meant to line the drawers, that is too thin and deforms too easily. The stuff I'm thinking of would be more like the tough rubber in a truck bedliner. Anyone got a source?

Pr0kjayhawk
Nov 30, 2002

:pervert:Zoom Zoom, motherfuckers:pervert:

Beach Bum posted:

Oh, that's nice. Well done.

Give us another picture in a month of the inevitable devolution back into chaos :v:

Haha, exactly. Not pictured: strollers, bikes, and other horseshit that disrupts those good organization vibes.

It’s also been a good opportunity to toss a bunch of stuff I’ve moved with several times. Do I still need those notes from when I was trying to diagnose a turbo issue on my FD RX-7? I do not. Also, I sold it to Aeka 12 years ago.

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

You shared it with a dick.

Gorson posted:

This is art!

I'm looking for some thick, tough, textured rubber for the top of my tool box. I've seen this stuff on the tops of higher end tool boxes, it's nearly a half inch thick and has ridges like Ruffles chips. Menards and Amazon sells rolls of thinner stuff that is meant to line the drawers, that is too thin and deforms too easily. The stuff I'm thinking of would be more like the tough rubber in a truck bedliner. Anyone got a source?

https://www.americanfloormats.com/corrugated-rubber-runner-mats/

We use some of this in 1/8" for bench tops at my work, it's actually meant for floor material. Decently tough, gets ugly pretty quick if you drag parts across it but still protects the top. Gotta vacuum it on the regular, it doesn't really brush off except in one direction.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
We've been pondering the addition of a third bay to our garage in the near future, my dream is to have optional parking for 3 cars and a full workshop area if I need. Was discussing this with the wife and she suggested we go hog wild and build a garage in the back corner of our lot like so many of our neighbors have. Her one requirement is that she wants a greenhouse attached to one side.

Did I marry the perfect woman or what?

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

My wife was mad when I decided it cost too much money to build the 3rd bay and we'd be better served saving the money. All she wanted out of it was a little more storage room.

Pr0kjayhawk posted:

Before:

After:

That is a very satisfying fit.

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat

Rhyno posted:

We've been pondering the addition of a third bay to our garage in the near future, my dream is to have optional parking for 3 cars and a full workshop area if I need. Was discussing this with the wife and she suggested we go hog wild and build a garage in the back corner of our lot like so many of our neighbors have. Her one requirement is that she wants a greenhouse attached to one side.

Did I marry the perfect woman or what?

Your wife and my wife are pretty much on the same page. We did good.

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica
I want to build a garage and the only person I have to ask permission to do it is myself.

Unfortunately, that means I can save up for it about a third as fast.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

As a 3 bay garage haver (with the 3rd one being a full pull-thru) it's never big enough. Go as big as you can afford/space allows. You will not regret it.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

slidebite posted:

As a 3 bay garage haver (with the 3rd one being a full pull-thru) it's never big enough. Go as big as you can afford/space allows. You will not regret it.

Yep. That's an investment for NextHouse.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

slidebite posted:

Our backyard is huge (potentially huger in a few years) so I can easily fit what I want back there. I need to some planning and map pit the rough idea of what i want to do. We're going to remodel the kitchen as well so we'll likely get a loan in 2021 and go hog wild.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

I am glad I have a large garage. My driveway is a mess because my tractor is not running properly and 2ft of snow got dumped on us. I've been going head first down the 400' driveway and then turning around to back into the garage. Well, rain today, so all that hard packed snow base is now soft packed mushy base. Took me 10 minutes to get up the driveway and I didn't dare try to turn around. I decided to put my car at the end of the driveway to make sure I'd be able to get out tomorrow morning (picking up a snowblower because I need one for places the tractor can't get anyway). Managed a 7pt turn in the oversized 2 bay garage (actual oversized, not realtor "oversized") and went headfirst back down the driveway.

Boy, am I looking forward to having my tractor actually usable.