Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mortanis
Dec 28, 2005

It's your father's lightsaber. This is the weapon of a Jedi Knight.
College Slice
Shattered Glass is a pretty good movie and he really makes it work.

I like Jumper even if it's an objective garbage fire.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

Shattered Glass IS fantastic but it also shows his best role was sniveling scumbag dweeb and not Darth Vader or handsome action lad and that probably hosed him in the long run.

Wild Horses
Oct 31, 2012

There's really no meaning in making beetles fight.

El Burbo posted:

depends on the photo

was. i mean yeah he s old now i suppose :rolleyes:

Dr.Radical
Apr 3, 2011

Yeah I thought it has been explicitly confirmed that the red arm thing was just a Metal Gear reference. Not sure why people are still confused about it

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

weekly font posted:

Shattered Glass IS fantastic but it also shows his best role was sniveling scumbag dweeb Darth Vader

HannibalBarca
Sep 11, 2016

History shows, again and again, how nature points out the folly of man.

El Burbo posted:

depends on the photo

this movie is a masterpiece of anti-comedy

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

The Hollywood Reporter has a big expose on the GOT guys leaving Star Wars, and the gist of it is that things turned sour between Disney and the two writers when they announced that huge Netflix deal. Kathleen Kennedy specifically believed that they would not be able to focus on Star Wars and also run content for Netflix.

https://twitter.com/THR/status/1189690202199134208

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

El Burbo posted:

depends on the photo

I'm all the difficult to read text in the crotch area of both actors.

(dude's still handsome asf)

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 246 days!

Papercut posted:

There's no way that girl knows who the gently caress this dude is lol

Dadakin Skywalker, visiting from a universe where he and Padme hosed off to raise the kids.

Mandrel
Sep 24, 2006

FlamingLiberal posted:

The Hollywood Reporter has a big expose on the GOT guys leaving Star Wars, and the gist of it is that things turned sour between Disney and the two writers when they announced that huge Netflix deal. Kathleen Kennedy specifically believed that they would not be able to focus on Star Wars and also run content for Netflix.

she’s probably right. dudes needed two years to finish an abbreviated 6 episode season of GoT that ended up sucking absolute rear end anyway

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

El Burbo posted:

depends on the photo

That's quite a Dreamworks face he's pulling off there.

Also Jumper was an entertaining movie and Hayden should've been Anakin from TPM.

clown shoes
Jul 17, 2004

Nothing but clowns down here.
Having Anakin be a baby was so dumb.

Preston Waters
May 21, 2010

by VideoGames

clown shoes posted:

Having Anakin be a baby was so dumb.

I liked him better as a child than the crybaby brat 20 year-old

Mooey Cow
Jan 27, 2018

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Pillbug

Dr.Radical posted:

Yeah I thought it has been explicitly confirmed that the red arm thing was just a Metal Gear reference. Not sure why people are still confused about it

The Phantom Pain came out like two months before TFA. That's a real lovely South Park-level reference.

In this interview, JJ says that

quote:

Moments like Threepio’s arm came from the desire to, well, mark time.

It's also a real lovely way to mark time.

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

Mooey Cow posted:

It's also a real lovely way to mark time.

He didn’t have skin in TPM, so clearly in the sequel trilogy he should have gotten extra skin

Or whatever you call a droids outer covering. Shell? Case?

Mooey Cow
Jan 27, 2018

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Pillbug
Put him back on the battle droid and have two half-3POs, that both want to murder people but only one of them apologizes for it.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Mandrel posted:

she’s probably right. dudes needed two years to finish an abbreviated 6 episode season of GoT that ended up sucking absolute rear end anyway

https://twitter.com/ForArya/status/1188191762755588097

That was tucked in the article and it's a big lol. The whole thread is good. It's amazing the show was even good at points

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

With good writers and a director Anakin could have worked - he's goddamn amazing in The Clone Wars series which redeems the prequels. I got whiplash finishing the series and jumping into RoTS which is a goddamn disaster. Yeah, it may be the best of the 3 but hooo boy does it ever look like utter dog poo poo compared to The Clone Wars.

Mandrel
Sep 24, 2006

there really isn’t any reason they couldn’t have just had Hayden Christensen Anakin in TPM. nothing in the plot requires him to be that young, and it actually would make more sense and flow a lot better if he was like 17 which Hayden was at the time of filming. rewatched TPM last night and sort of just imagined an alternate version in all of Jake Lloyd’s scenes even with identical dialogue (minus the YIPPEEs) and it works so much better. he even would’ve been the same age as padme/Natalie Portman. it’s so loving weird that he’s this tiny lollipop headed kid then flash forward barely a few years and he’s Hayden Christensen and Padme is like yeahh theres grass on the field now baby lets play ball

it’s even a big plot point that he’s too old to be trained as a Jedi, which would really hit with a nearly grown rear end Hayden who’s been like the man of the house and formed tons of emotional attachments whereas with Jake Lloyd it’s like, jfc how young does he have to be for you guys he looks like he’s 8.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

How old was Hayden in 1999 or whenever that was

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

euphronius posted:

How old was Hayden in 1999 or whenever that was

Mandrel posted:

and it actually would make more sense and flow a lot better if he was like 17 which Hayden was at the time of filming

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Being younger in Tpm makes sense and it ties strongly into the mother issues he has. Also he was old for a padawan lreasy at 8 or whatever. Agreedo that the interaction with Padme is a little strained

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!

FlamingLiberal posted:

more from Variety. Sounds like a mess even if the franchise dodged a bullet with D&D

https://twitter.com/Variety/status/1189769214556426240

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Mandrel posted:

there really isn’t any reason they couldn’t have just had Hayden Christensen Anakin in TPM. nothing in the plot requires him to be that young, and it actually would make more sense and flow a lot better if he was like 17 which Hayden was at the time of filming. rewatched TPM last night and sort of just imagined an alternate version in all of Jake Lloyd’s scenes even with identical dialogue (minus the YIPPEEs) and it works so much better. he even would’ve been the same age as padme/Natalie Portman. it’s so loving weird that he’s this tiny lollipop headed kid then flash forward barely a few years and he’s Hayden Christensen and Padme is like yeahh theres grass on the field now baby lets play ball

it’s even a big plot point that he’s too old to be trained as a Jedi, which would really hit with a nearly grown rear end Hayden who’s been like the man of the house and formed tons of emotional attachments whereas with Jake Lloyd it’s like, jfc how young does he have to be for you guys he looks like he’s 8.

Vintersorg posted:

With good writers and a director Anakin could have worked - he's goddamn amazing in The Clone Wars series which redeems the prequels. I got whiplash finishing the series and jumping into RoTS which is a goddamn disaster. Yeah, it may be the best of the 3 but hooo boy does it ever look like utter dog poo poo compared to The Clone Wars.

Got to agree with all of this 100%. Especially in the Clone Wars series, Anakin owns and you totally see how he becomes this revered bff fellow warrior with lots of folks but also how that mix of folks loving him and his general competence running against how restrictive the Jedi order is and how that will build up into someone going from who he is to Darth Vader. I like the moments where Anakin just like, forcefully rips info out of someone's mind or just cold rolls sneaks up on and stabs someone in the back and Obi-Wan is like "deeply concerned" but before the shot or scene ends he already has this attitude of like "lol that's like CLASSIC Anakin amirite?!!?"

I remember at some point Lucas said ideally the Clone Wars would be 100 movies, and runtime wise he pretty much ended up getting that with the Clone Wars series and it works.

It was insanely weird even when I saw the movies even at the time that they had such a time/age jump with Anakin only but no one else.

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

Speaking of clone wars, the invisible hand deleted scenes have immense clone wars energy

https://youtu.be/0C4EoJq3xLE

It’s wild

Wild Horses
Oct 31, 2012

George H.W. oval office posted:

https://twitter.com/ForArya/status/1188191762755588097

That was tucked in the article and it's a big lol. The whole thread is good. It's amazing the show was even good at points

sounds like loving bullshit. The look and theme of the show was at its best in season one, where they supposedly "knew nothing".
It was the later seasons which dropped the ball on the look feel and mood of the world.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Wild Horses posted:

sounds like loving bullshit. The look and theme of the show was at its best in season one, where they supposedly "knew nothing".
It was the later seasons which dropped the ball on the look feel and mood of the world.

There's a good chance hbo had all the logistics and production and whatnot ready to go and that first season was when d&d had the least input on everything

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Wild Horses posted:

They knew nothing so they let the people that did actually do their job. As the show became a massive success, they assumed it was all them so they started getting more involved in all aspects of it and overruling the people that got them there.

I will say this, the 100% D&D Original scene with Cersei and Robert is probably one of the greatest moments in the show so I will thank them for that and just that.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Wild Horses posted:

Those quotes are direct from their mouths.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

Barry Convex posted:

more from Variety. Sounds like a mess even if the franchise dodged a bullet with D&D

https://twitter.com/Variety/status/1189769214556426240

The problem I always having reading stuff like this is, is wondering how much is on Kennedy. The fanbase (and a large group of misogynists) love pointing at her as the source of all problems. Which seems way too easy.
But so many directors leaving or getting dismissed does signal that there is a problem. Kicking off a new trilogy without a plan is also a problem.

It's like Disney has no idea what made the MCU work.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

Mandrel posted:

It would also have made his building A: a sentient robot, and B: the jet-powered equivalent of a championship-winning F1 car, out of scrounged scrap a bit easier to swallow at 17 than at 8.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Are those two guys even A list?

They don’t seem A list to me

Wild Horses
Oct 31, 2012

Vintersorg posted:

Those quotes are direct from their mouths.

im saying its like

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

They knew nothing so they let the people that did actually do their job. As the show became a massive success, they assumed it was all them so they started getting more involved in all aspects of it and overruling the people that got them there.

I will say this, the 100% D&D Original scene with Cersei and Robert is probably one of the greatest moments in the show so I will thank them for that and just that.

either that or they're lying. Logic dictates quality would go up after "learning on the job"

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Mandrel posted:

there really isn’t any reason they couldn’t have just had Hayden Christensen Anakin in TPM. nothing in the plot requires him to be that young, and it actually would make more sense and flow a lot better if he was like 17 which Hayden was at the time of filming.

One of the major themes in Phantom Menace is that everyone is way too young to be involved in this poo poo.

It’s basically the whole joke of doing a ‘kids movie’ about the rise of fascism: the plucky, preternaturally talented ten-year-old kills like a million people. Anakin is way too young to fall in love with Padme, and so she ends up being a surrogate mother that he has sex with in later films. Yikes!

Basically, you’re making things ‘flow better’ by removing the drama and overall weirdness.

Mooey Cow
Jan 27, 2018

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Pillbug

Darth TNT posted:

The problem I always having reading stuff like this is, is wondering how much is on Kennedy. The fanbase (and a large group of misogynists) love pointing at her as the source of all problems. Which seems way too easy.
But so many directors leaving or getting dismissed does signal that there is a problem. Kicking off a new trilogy without a plan is also a problem.

Kennedy is a producer; her job is to make the movie happen, preferably in the way the director wants, and she has done so for a long list of good movies. Who knows where in the chain all the hiring and firing comes from. Allegedly the Solo directors were fired because Kasdan didn't want his precious Han Solo movie to be funny, but there were also reports that they just weren't very good at directing people.

Everything about the production of these movies is secret, apparently for marketing reasons, or Disney branding or something. It's a big tease that Rinzler actually wrote a Making of The Force Awakens, but Disney cancelled and buried it.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Mandrel posted:

:agreed:

euphronius posted:

Being younger in Tpm makes sense and it ties strongly into the mother issues he has. Also he was old for a padawan lreasy at 8 or whatever.

I think it would've made the bond and tragedy between Anakin and his mother even stronger if he were older. That just means he had to care for her and himself that much longer as slaves. It'd also better parallel the dogmatic "he's to old" with Luke.

tylersayten
Mar 20, 2019

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Darth TNT posted:

If they brought in Feige to do a Star Wars movie, then it’s definitely on Kennedy.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

I would rather Feige stick to the MCU and not dig his claws into Star Wars tbh. Hoping his SW venture is a one-off or something. I don't want him to oversee the franchise like he does for Marvel Studios. I read somewhere Kennedy/Lucasfilm is grooming Filoni to be a main guy—or THE main guy—to oversee the big Star Wars stuff moving forward. I'd much, much rather have Filoni take on that oversight role please. Not Feige. Please not Feige. MCU can continue to be what it is and make all the the money. I just don't want Star Wars to turn into the MCU.

teagone fucked around with this message at 19:42 on Oct 31, 2019

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

teagone posted:

I think it would've made the bond and tragedy between Anakin and his mother even stronger if he were older. That just means he had to care for her and himself that much longer as slaves. It'd also better parallel the dogmatic "he's to old" with Luke.

yeah being older does not make you exempt from having severe mother issues

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Oedipal complex is much strong in the young (in theory )