Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hot sauce
Jan 13, 2005

Grimey Drawer

UltraRed posted:

He literally said that he's partially to blame because he's "forcing" Ari to do sober October.

He was kidding for sure. Even tho its hosed up, some of the things said in this ep are jokes. He also said what if thats your new thing Bert, people dosing you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

"You're 40. What are you doing doing molly?"
Yeah its the divergent of life paths. Even though they joked that Joe was the only one who listens to Ari's podcast I'm kind of morbidly curious as to how Ari's life goes.

An Apple A Gay
Oct 21, 2008

wasn't it ari that didn't know how mortgages work

he should go on wife of the party

just like how theo should go on your moms house

its interesting to have followed these guys for a decade but they've hit their ceilings for sure

isn't joey quitting to do personal motivation poo poo

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!
Its hilarious that they started joking about Berts drinking issue but Ari got so mad about being sober for 1 month that he doses a dude. Like thats an addiction right.

bvj191jgl7bBsqF5m
Apr 16, 2017

Í̝̰ ͓̯̖̫̹̯̤A҉m̺̩͝ ͇̬A̡̮̞̠͚͉̱̫ K̶e͓ǵ.̻̱̪͖̹̟̕

Wark Say posted:

Coco is a loving weirdo but also seems like probably the most-zen of his immediate social circle.

What Duncan been up to lately? In my headcanon he has probably joined a cult by now

bvj191jgl7bBsqF5m
Apr 16, 2017

Lampsacus posted:

"You're 40. What are you doing doing molly?"
Yeah its the divergent of life paths. Even though they joked that Joe was the only one who listens to Ari's podcast I'm kind of morbidly curious as to how Ari's life goes.

I used to listen to it like 4-5 years ago. I don't know if he still takes off for 2-3 months at a time to gently caress Australian 20 year olds in Thailand, but that was his new thing last time I listened. He also was really getting into Ayn Rand at the time, when he was already over 40

Piquai Souban
Mar 21, 2007

Manque du respect: toujours.
Triple bas cinq: toujours.

Wark Say posted:

Coco is a loving weirdo but also seems like probably the most-zen of his immediate social circle.

When Joey Jingles isnt stealing laundry change from Doug Stanhope.

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

bvj191jgl7bBsqF5m posted:

I used to listen to it like 4-5 years ago. I don't know if he still takes off for 2-3 months at a time to gently caress Australian 20 year olds in Thailand, but that was his new thing last time I listened. He also was really getting into Ayn Rand at the time, when he was already over 40
Yeesh. Yeah I feel like some people who don't have kids absolutely have no regrets. Ari strikes me as not one of these people. It feels like his character arc is a slow realization that its not the 00s anymore.

always be closing
Jul 16, 2005
A loser is a loser and Ari is a big one.

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib
The Joe Rogan Experience/TMZ thread

toggle
Nov 7, 2005

An Apple A Gay posted:

its interesting to have followed these guys for a decade but they've hit their ceilings for sure

Yep. And isn't sober october now sponsored thing by some health tracking app? More fool the audience to keep listening to these guys!

ari is and will always be garbage.

Also, dont forget to take your shroomtech sport

hot sauce
Jan 13, 2005

Grimey Drawer

toggle posted:

Yep. And isn't sober october now sponsored thing by some health tracking app? More fool the audience to keep listening to these guys!

Nah, they used it last year but said it wasnt sponsored and the way they talked about the device was pretty critical. This year theres no competition, they just each take 10 workout classes during the month.

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

It sounds like the app developers made a special group for them in the app though. And they just laughed about it.

always be closing
Jul 16, 2005
IRL Russian asset!

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
Just discovered Joe Rogan after one of his episodes was linked in a GBS mexican cartel tthread. Listened to two interviews related to that and learned a bunch. Do you guys have any recommendations of where to go next (as far as informational/educational interviews go)? Not super interested in pop culture or purely political guests.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Why the Bernie Sanders and Edward Snowden casts of course!

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009
The Edward Snowden excerpts of the interview on youtube were very interesting.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VFns39RXPrU

Apart from what Grouchio said, I'd also recommend any Dan Carlin interviews; and all the Bill Burr interviews are hilarious.

Evil Agita
Feb 25, 2005

Lord Fool, give me another chance. I'll prove my strength to you!
I liked the one with Joey Diaz and TJ English. Lots of great info about cuba and the mafia that Cuban immigrants set up in Florida and new York.

Scrotum Modem
Sep 12, 2014

buglord posted:

Just discovered Joe Rogan after one of his episodes was linked in a GBS mexican cartel tthread. Listened to two interviews related to that and learned a bunch. Do you guys have any recommendations of where to go next (as far as informational/educational interviews go)? Not super interested in pop culture or purely political guests.

entertaining weed debate episode. informative as well

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YHwSmwEwmV4

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

buglord posted:

Hm, also to add Dennis Mckenna, David Wallace-Wells and any psychology/medical guest. Joe is keenly interested in sports science, strange psychology and psychedelics so if any of that interests you!

e:\/ also yeah. joe rogan is one of those 'open mind' 'truth is in the middle' types so expect lots of lovely right wing guests being entertained.

Lampsacus fucked around with this message at 00:21 on Oct 29, 2019

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib

buglord posted:

Congratulations, first steps on becoming an online right-winger!

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord

Lambert posted:

Congratulations, first steps on becoming an online right-winger!
As a double minority who doesnt want to be reminded of how screwed I am because of Republicans, gently caress you.

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib

buglord posted:

As a double minority who doesnt want to be reminded of how screwed I am because of Republicans, gently caress you.

As another double-minority, gently caress you too.

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

The Joe Rogan Experience.

always be closing
Jul 16, 2005

buglord posted:

As a double minority who doesn’t want to be reminded of how screwed I am because of Republicans, gently caress you.

A loser is a loser.

mike12345
Jul 14, 2008

"Whether the Earth was created in 7 days, or 7 actual eras, I'm not sure we'll ever be able to answer that. It's one of the great mysteries."

Lampsacus posted:

The Joe Rogan Experience.

waffy
Oct 31, 2010

buglord posted:

Here's a bunch that I enjoyed:

- The aforementioned Joey Diaz and TJ English (Cuban mafia stuff), David Wallace-Wells (climate science) and Dan Carlin (history)
- Matthew Walker (sleep research)
- Peter Hotez (disease research)
- Jeff Evans & Bud Brutsman (Everest rescue person / war medic stories)
- Any with Sean Carroll / Brian Cox / Neil deGrasse Tyson / Lawrence Krauss (physics/general science)
- Leah Remini (scientology experiences)
- Lindsey Fitzharris (medical history)
- William von Hippel (evolution/psychology)

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Also the Bernie episode is like less than an hour long and it's probably one of the better ones from... like the last 3 years or so?

vincentpricesboner
Sep 3, 2006

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Holy poo poo did Kevin Smith get cringey. Remember being 13 and thinking he was the coolest?

I got some serious douchechills when he was trying to brag about being high literally 24/7 when he has a wife and kids.

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽
He has a daughter who is like 20. It's not like he's high around some toddler all day.

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

vincentpricesboner posted:

Holy poo poo did Kevin Smith get cringey. Remember being 13 and thinking he was the coolest?

I got some serious douchechills when he was trying to brag about being high literally 24/7 when he has a wife and kids.

wait, you listen to Joe Rogan and you're NOT high 24/7? dafuckouttahere lmao

hot sauce
Jan 13, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Harminoff posted:

He has a daughter who is like 20. It's not like he's high around some toddler all day.

Also his job is sitting on a movie set 12 hours a day. How could one not be high for that

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

I wouldn't recommend David Wallace Wells as a climate scientist when he's been known towards sensationalizing the collapse of civilization (Uninhabitable Earth).

Decades
Apr 12, 2007

College Slice
David Wallace Wells isn't a scientist but eh, not really. There were some criticisms from climate scientists of factual points, but they were mostly some small specifics, not the overall work. The bigger thing he received criticism for was focusing on near-worst case scenarios, but my understanding is that this was the whole point. The IPCC (who are legit obviously and do good work) have made a deliberate choice not to emphasize worst case scenarios, and their reports are generally considered conservative/optimistic for structural reasons, so Wells was setting out to cover a different angle.

That said I think it's not the best JRE episode because it felt like Joe didn't take him too seriously due to his lack of scientific credentials. I'd like to see him have on someone like Michael Mann or Kate Marvel, and ideally a whole range of folks knowledgeable about climate change from around the whole spectrum of opinion and expertise. But Uninhabitable Earth is still a valid part of the big climate picture.

bvj191jgl7bBsqF5m
Apr 16, 2017

Grouchio posted:

I wouldn't recommend David Wallace Wells as a climate scientist when he's been known towards sensationalizing the collapse of civilization (Uninhabitable Earth).

Climate scientist here and I have some unfortunate news

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

Yeah check out the D&D climate change thread but practice some self care before hand (maybe a lolly or an arm)

rest his guts
Mar 3, 2013

...pls father forgive me
for my terrible post history...
the upcoming ep. with climate scientist Pentti Linkola looks chill

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

rest his guts posted:

the upcoming ep. with climate scientist Pentti Linkola looks chill
If there were a button I could press, I would sacrifice myself without hesitating, if it meant millions of people would die.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Buglord

waffy posted:

Here's a bunch that I enjoyed:

- The aforementioned Joey Diaz and TJ English (Cuban mafia stuff), David Wallace-Wells (climate science) and Dan Carlin (history)
- Matthew Walker (sleep research)
- Peter Hotez (disease research)
- Jeff Evans & Bud Brutsman (Everest rescue person / war medic stories)
- Any with Sean Carroll / Brian Cox / Neil deGrasse Tyson / Lawrence Krauss (physics/general science)
- Leah Remini (scientology experiences)
- Lindsey Fitzharris (medical history)
- William von Hippel (evolution/psychology)
-The Matthew Walker one was really cool, as was the first half of Evans and Brutsman where they talked about Everest. The war medic bit bothered me way more than it should have. I'm the type to watch a lot of uncensored combat footage and it doesn't really get rattle like the interview did. Maybe because there were a lot more noncombatants involved.

-The Peter Hotez interview got on my nerves because when they got on the subject of anti-vax, Rogan was sorta being a bonehead through it all. I gave up on it half way because he kept saying things that could give legitimacy to that movement.

-Michael Pollan was on to talk about therapeutic effects of DMT and some mushroom for folks who are in hospice or are suffering from mental trauma. I enjoyed that one quite a bit because im familiar with a bit of his books and I didn't know psychedelics had actual medical benefits.

-Michael Scott Moore is a real treat because I recently finished his memoir The Desert and the Sea: 977 Days Captive on the Somali Pirate Coast. He talks about that fiasco he survived and brought up a few things he didn't mention in his book.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Happy Hippo
Aug 8, 2004

The Something Awful Forums > The Finer Arts > Batman's Shameful Secret > BSS Derailed Thread: Spider-Island

I was wondering when Rogan was going to interview Artie Lange's nose