Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

TheBizzness posted:

If I could make avs, I would change my Av to the nurse about to get her head cut off hallway shot. Scene owns.

This is the best I could manage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord

That scene is so amazing, and that crash zoom is perfect.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

COOL CORN posted:

That scene is so amazing, and that crash zoom is perfect.

The crash zoom is what makes it hard to GIF! SomethingAwful AVs have to be under 150kb, which is almost impossible to do without making it look crappy.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer
There is currently a new version of Raimi's The Evil Dead with 4k restoration, new sound design and new score. It is currently in theaters only, and there is no word of a physical release.

I think it's absolute a must-watch for Evil Dead fans. I loved it.

I almost skipped out on it, because I've seen The Evil Dead a million times. I'm glad I went, because it's one of--if not the--best way I've ever seen it.

I did a full write-up in the October Challenge, if you want specifics.

Don't sleep on it. If it's playing near you, it's worth the trip.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Joined the From Beyond club last night, I enjoyed it. Good effects and design, pacing is decent, and a great descent into madness. It's been decades since I've seen Re-Animator, so it's definitely making me want to rewatch that again at some point.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

gently caress yeah stuart gordon rocks

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
More people should watch Castle Freak

It’s got a castle freak and jeff combs fucks

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Blast Fantasto posted:

:emptyquote:

:350:

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Franchescanado posted:

There is currently a new version of Raimi's The Evil Dead with 4k restoration, new sound design and new score. It is currently in theaters only, and there is no word of a physical release.

I think it's absolute a must-watch for Evil Dead fans. I loved it.

I almost skipped out on it, because I've seen The Evil Dead a million times. I'm glad I went, because it's one of--if not the--best way I've ever seen it.

I did a full write-up in the October Challenge, if you want specifics.

Don't sleep on it. If it's playing near you, it's worth the trip.

I saw your write up and this sounds fuckin' awesome. Hope it gets a physical release because I will get that ASAP.

Speaking of which I somehow don't actually own Evil Dead 1 on blu-ray, there's so many releases it seems, is there one that's particularly good?

For how the movie looks, like I have it on VHS and on an old DVD so I never saw the need and forgot about it. It's kind of crazy how few blu-rays we have compared to VHS and DVD tapes we had gotten over the years. Streaming really did the trick after all.

Neo Rasa fucked around with this message at 16:15 on Oct 31, 2019

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

Blast Fantasto posted:

It’s a good thing Gordon found two people to star in his movies who are down for seemingly anything. Anything less than full commitment to the insanity of those movies would ruin them.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord

Kvlt! posted:

gently caress yeah stuart gordon rocks

Blast Fantasto posted:

theres so much on this page i just wanna emptyquote

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

weekly font posted:

It’s a good thing Gordon found two people to star in his movies who are down for seemingly anything. Anything less than full commitment to the insanity of those movies would ruin them.

This is related to Gordon being a theatre guy, he's very loyal to his troupe.

Jezebel
Sep 6, 2004

Skal!

Embarrassingly, I've realized I've never seen any Rob Zombie, so since we were all talking about it a few pages back, I just watched Halloween (2007). What a brutal film. It was great, but also a lot...sleazier? than the original. Even for a horror film there was a lot more sexual content than I'm used to. And we could have done without the graphic rape scene, jesus. But I loved the backstory stuff on Michael- to me it makes him more frightening than the inexplicable automaton of the original. His DIY masks were an excellent design.

Time for a break to obtain candy and then onto Zombie's Halloween II! gently caress I'm going to miss this month.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

weekly font posted:

You can kinda feel a slight emptiness with the cast in Dagon. It's a great movie in many ways, but Ezra Godden is nowhere near Jeffrey Combs's caliber. It's missing that over-the-top commitment.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
The one scene in From Beyond that I can't handle is when Combs eats the brain. I don't know how you perform that scene without vomiting all over the place. I mean, I know it wasn't a real brain but still.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Jezebel posted:

Embarrassingly, I've realized I've never seen any Rob Zombie, so since we were all talking about it a few pages back, I just watched Halloween (2007). What a brutal film. It was great, but also a lot...sleazier? than the original. Even for a horror film there was a lot more sexual content than I'm used to. And we could have done without the graphic rape scene, jesus. But I loved the backstory stuff on Michael- to me it makes him more frightening than the inexplicable automaton of the original. His DIY masks were an excellent design.

Time for a break to obtain candy and then onto Zombie's Halloween II! gently caress I'm going to miss this month.

This is a bit frustrating because the theatrical version cuts out the rape scene, but it ALSO cuts out a lot of small moments during Michael and Loomis' brief conversations/etc. that add a lot and develop Loomis more too. But the theatrical ending is totally different and significantly worse than the cut you saw too so it's still the definitive version of the movie.

Halloween II...does the theatrical version even exist on home video? I totally missed it in theaters but IIRC some people think its ending is better than the director's cut.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Neo Rasa posted:

I saw your write up and this sounds fuckin' awesome. Hope it gets a physical release because I will get that ASAP.

Speaking of which I somehow don't actually own Evil Dead 1 on blu-ray, there's so many releases it seems, is there one that's particularly good?

For how the movie looks, like I have it on VHS and on an old DVD so I never saw the need and forgot about it. It's kind of crazy how few blu-rays we have compared to VHS and DVD tapes we had gotten over the years. Streaming really did the trick after all.

Is Anchor Bay even a thing anymore?

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
I assume the rape scene you guys are talking about is not in the work print version of Halloween? I don’t remember anything like that and boy that movie didn’t need more exploitation in that area. Like I said in my spoilers, the amount of nudity was really pointlessly excessive especially given that the Weinsteins were involved in some capacity.

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord

Neo Rasa posted:

I've got this one and I think it looks really great: https://www.blu-ray.com/movies/The-Evil-Dead-Blu-ray/9962/

There is a UHD release too but I haven't seen it.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

yall are so sensitive like i get why a rape scene can upset people but youre all grown ups just nudity should be something you can handle throw as many titties and dicks on the screen as you want who cares

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

witches?

Buglord

Kvlt! posted:

yall are so sensitive like i get why a rape scene can upset people but youre all grown ups just nudity should be something you can handle throw as many titties and dicks on the screen as you want who cares

:hmmyes:

I just watched it two nights ago and the nudity didn't strike me as all that excessive (apart from the rape scene which was gross and unnecessary). there were boobs in Carpenter's original too.

or maybe I'm desensitized from watching too many Jean Rollin movies

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

gey muckle mowser posted:

I've got this one and I think it looks really great: https://www.blu-ray.com/movies/The-Evil-Dead-Blu-ray/9962/

There is a UHD release too but I haven't seen it.

I got the UHD, it's p good

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

https://twitter.com/jamieleecurtis/status/1189944554369118208?s=20

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

Kvlt! posted:

yikes. probably for the best you don't tell people how to feel about those things

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

edit: eh that's not a battle worth fighting

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

It’s not nudity people don’t want to see my dude

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

weekly font posted:

yikes. probably for the best you don't tell people how to feel about those things

I think maybe you misread that, he was saying that nudity on it's own shouldn't weird anyone out. It's just boobs, dicks and butts, who cares? Scenes of sexual violence is a totally different thing and it's understandable why some people would try to steer clear of that.

Jezebel
Sep 6, 2004

Skal!

Basebf555 posted:

I think maybe you misread that, he was saying that nudity on it's own shouldn't weird anyone out. It's just boobs, dicks and butts, who cares? Scenes of sexual violence is a totally different thing and it's understandable why some people would try to steer clear of that.

It's almost never dicks though. I'm not averse to nudity and some titillation, but there comes a point when the third naked woman dying sexy/graphically while her boyfriend dies with his pants on is just...eh...

Jezebel
Sep 6, 2004

Skal!

Basically we need more nude men dying in horror films.

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

witches?

Buglord

Jezebel posted:

watch Knife + Heart

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Jezebel posted:

Predator 2

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Jezebel posted:

It's almost never dicks though. I'm not averse to nudity and some titillation, but there comes a point when the third naked woman dying sexy/graphically while her boyfriend dies with his pants on is just...eh...

Yea I hear you there. The imbalance of it can definitely start to become hard to ignore.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
As a cis white male, I feel that there aren't nearly enough dicks in movies.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Jezebel posted:

This has been a growing trend in the last two or three years. The only nudity in Ma, for instance, is all male nudity, including a penis. Ari Aster's films have a lot of male nudity.

The thing about American films, when it comes to ratings, it's always easier to show topless women and a little female frontal nudity. The MPAA hates penises and vaginas. Doesn't matter that almost everyone on this planet's gonna have at least one of them, genitalia is too crazy for a ratings board.

And even when male nudity is shown, it HAS to be flaccid. You can't show erections or male nudity in a sexualized situation.* You only get to see dick in Midsommar because the characters are running for their life or are going to kill. You only get to see a dick in Piranha because a fish eats it. You only get to show a dick in Ma because it may get cut off.

I genuinely believe if it weren't for the MPAA, male nudity would be much more prevalent. If you want real change, abolish the MPAA.

*This is why I think Under The Skin is interesting. For a movie where ScarJo is completely nude, the majority of the nudity is men with erections. It's not an American film, though.

Iron Crowned posted:

Same. It's always a pleasant surprise.

Franchescanado fucked around with this message at 19:06 on Oct 31, 2019

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

witches?

Buglord

Iron Crowned posted:

:hai:

Franchescanado posted:

I genuinely believe if it weren't for the MPAA, male nudity would be much more prevalent. If you want real change, abolish the MPAA.

:hai:

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

I recently saw The Witch for the first time and I thought it was great, probably the most unique and well-made horror movie I've seen this decade (although I don't normally watch a lot of horror). There are a lot of themes at work here but what I mostly got from it is that devotion to family and God blows and being a witch is fukken awesome.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

exquisite tea posted:

I recently saw The Witch for the first time and I thought it was great, probably the most unique and well-made horror movie I've seen this decade (although I don't normally watch a lot of horror). There are a lot of themes at work here but what I mostly got from it is that devotion to family and God blows and being a witch is fukken awesome.

Hell yeah. I have a Black Phillip tat lined up in my future. I haven't had a chance to watch them together yet, but I think it'd be a really good double feature with Midsommar.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Franchescanado posted:

abolish the MPAA.

Yes

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007
Don’t abolish the MPAA but force them to bring back the X rating so I can feel cool and subversive when I sit around watching dumb movies again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Abolish and eat then