Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week
Review of the new FF password manager & Lockwise on android: it's poo poo.

I'm visiting my mom and one of the things to do on the trip was set her up with a password manager. She uses firefox, so I was hoping the revamp would be usable as a cloud-based password manager that would fit in with how she'd done things before. (She's fairly technically adept for someone in their late-60s, but learning new tricks is getting harder.)

The thing is unusable for how a password manager needs to function. Passwords are still tied to a single URL, and you still can't change the URL. So when some company changes their website systems you have to make a new copy of an old identity. So it does nothing to fix the problem that FF's saved passwords has always had, of ending up with a bunch of duplicates (some of which may be out of date). Only the username and password are editable. A master password has to be entered every time you do *anything*, so a memorable phrase style of master password is excruciating.

Got rid of all that poo poo, installed bitwarden. Bitwarden seems to be just user-friendly enough, once I'd done the first setup and could guide her through how it works. I hadn't used bitwarden myself before now, and I came away pretty impressed by it. So that would be my advice to the other people ITT who mentioned they were waiting for firefox's new manager. Mozilla is still pretty incompetent, they haven't remade it to work like a real password manager should. It's just a pretty new UI on the same old garbage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh

Bitwarden is excellent. LastPass has some better features but I worried about their security record and there's no reason not to use Bitwarden.

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope
Keepass is the best one, because 1) it was the first and only one I've tried, and 2) Look at its name. Just look at it.

(it's not actually the most user friendly software to use because you have to use a separate syncing software to copy the passowrd database between devices)

Billa
Jul 12, 2005

The Emperor protects.
I use Enpass and I like it.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Billa posted:

I use Enpass and I like it.

Katy Perry's less successful single.

Billa
Jul 12, 2005

The Emperor protects.

Ola posted:

Katy Perry's less successful single.

I don't get it, what's that supposed to mean?

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Billa posted:

I don't get it, what's that supposed to mean?

It sounded like "I kissed a girl and I liked it"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tAp9BKosZXs

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer

Wheany posted:

Keepass is the best one, because 1) it was the first and only one I've tried, and 2) Look at its name. Just look at it.

(it's not actually the most user friendly software to use because you have to use a separate syncing software to copy the passowrd database between devices)

Both versions of keepass that I use have a sync function built in?

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

WattsvilleBlues posted:

Bitwarden is excellent. LastPass has some better features but I worried about their security record and there's no reason not to use Bitwarden.

If I was doing password management for myself today from square one, it's what I'd use. But it wasn't around, or wasn't as well developed, back when I set up my own system.

Bieeanshee posted:

Both versions of keepass that I use have a sync function built in?

The standard windows & linux versions don't, though they have plugins to do it. But also, sync to a 3rd-party cloud service isn't exactly the same as a cloud service that is integrated & comes with the software.

Keepass is great, but non-nerds can get overwhelmed by too many menus, options, and the way keepass uses technical terminology.

mike12345
Jul 14, 2008

"Whether the Earth was created in 7 days, or 7 actual eras, I'm not sure we'll ever be able to answer that. It's one of the great mysteries."

Yeah +1 for keepass, I just back up the database to a usb stick, so can't speak for syncing.

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.
Syncing with Keepass is just sticking the database file in your Dropbox/Nextcloud/whatever folder.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh

Kassad posted:

Syncing with Keepass is just sticking the database file in your Dropbox/Nextcloud/whatever folder.

That's an extra step though? What's the advantage for the average user over Bitwarden?

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.
Oh no, I meant if you're already using Keepass on a computer and don't want to switch to another password manager, that's how you sync stuff. It's an extra step but not something crazy technical either.
A manager that handles the online syncing is a lot simpler, yeah (the Keepass2Android app actually does that as well).

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

WattsvilleBlues posted:

That's an extra step though? What's the advantage for the average user over Bitwarden?

As with all :c2b:, using Bitwarden does mean depending on someone else to stay a going concern. If the bitwarden company goes bust (or has some security nightmare that's worth fleeing from), it's a chore to move to some other service. With Keepass + whatever cloud, even if dropbox goes bust it's relatively easy to move to a different :c2b: provider and continue on.

For the average user that isn't worth dealing with the higher difficulty of keepass. But for those that can set up keepass, a cloud storage, and wrangle a bunch of plugins, it's a consideration.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Klyith posted:

As with all :c2b:, using Bitwarden does mean depending on someone else to stay a going concern. If the bitwarden company goes bust (or has some security nightmare that's worth fleeing from), it's a chore to move to some other service. With Keepass + whatever cloud, even if dropbox goes bust it's relatively easy to move to a different :c2b: provider and continue on.

For the average user that isn't worth dealing with the higher difficulty of keepass. But for those that can set up keepass, a cloud storage, and wrangle a bunch of plugins, it's a consideration.
And if you got 35 bux, reasonably stable internet, and a free weekend, most people posting in SHSC and who are able to setup keep-rear end should be able to set up a raspberry pi with nextcloud on it and use that.

Hipster_Doofus
Dec 20, 2003

Lovin' every minute of it.

Wheany posted:

D. Ebdrup posted:

keep-rear end

:aaa:

Haha well gently caress me.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Hipster_Doofus posted:

:aaa:

Haha well gently caress me.
The name is like 49.95% of the charm!

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

I don't see a lot of this, but I've been pretty drat happy with Firefox lately. The only thing I'd really wanna remove is Pocket: have it be a preinstalled extension at worst.

New logo's fine.

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf
Yeah. And if you hate Pocket, you can remove it from your URL bar with a right-click. Then it only exists as a single entry in your right-click menu. I hardly ever notice that it still exists.

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

oh my god is that a circular saw that does not go in my mouth aaaaagh
Or just purge it outright by toggling extensions.pocket.enabled (note: this doesn't apply to the stuff in the new tab page, which is disabled through the Preferences UI).

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

doctorfrog posted:

I don't see a lot of this, but I've been pretty drat happy with Firefox lately.

Me too. The whole extension-pocalypse that many of us were predicting with 57/Quantum... simply didn't happen. Since then things have only improved.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Nalin posted:

Yeah. And if you hate Pocket, you can remove it from your URL bar with a right-click. Then it only exists as a single entry in your right-click menu. I hardly ever notice that it still exists.

Avenging Dentist posted:

Or just purge it outright by toggling extensions.pocket.enabled (note: this doesn't apply to the stuff in the new tab page, which is disabled through the Preferences UI).

Both true. I actually use and like Pocket, but there's just this purity thing in my head that still resents stuff added by default without prior consent. Hangover I guess... from every moment of using a computer since the mid nineties.

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Doctor Rope
Something happened overnight and my Firefox doesn't load any pages anymore. If I start with extensions disabled, everything works fine.

Is there a way to see which extensions updated recently? In case some extension updating broke things.

Edit: found "recent updates´", couldn't find anything

But by disabling extensions one by one, it was umatrix

Wheany fucked around with this message at 08:45 on Nov 2, 2019

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Wheany posted:

Something happened overnight and my Firefox doesn't load any pages anymore. If I start with extensions disabled, everything works fine.

Is there a way to see which extensions updated recently? In case some extension updating broke things

My Firefox mobile does that now and then, I just swipe it out of the app swap thingy to kill the process. I think it may have happened on desktop as well. When I need to restart (usually due to video issues) I just close it, wait a few seconds then restart and "restore previous session" to get all my precious tabs back.

Fangs404
Dec 20, 2004

I time bomb.

doctorfrog posted:

I don't see a lot of this, but I've been pretty drat happy with Firefox lately. The only thing I'd really wanna remove is Pocket: have it be a preinstalled extension at worst.

New logo's fine.

Firefox is the best.

In general, there's a negative bias for the people that post about a topic online because they have more motivation. Many more people are satisfied with FF than unsatisfied.

Fangs404 fucked around with this message at 09:10 on Nov 2, 2019

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Doctor Rope
Oh yeah, I'm on the beta update channel, I guess that would have been relevant info.

On firefox 71 now, and other extensions also seen fucky.

Like tampermonkey can't save, It just shows a spinner forever when pressing ctrl-s

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib
Firefox not having multi-language spell check (without having to switch manually every time I input text) is a pretty huge dealbreaker to me.

There's also the lack of page translation support, but that's more of an annoyance.

There's also the bad font rendering and terrible scroll anchoring (very annoying on SA), but those I can live with.

Lambert fucked around with this message at 12:21 on Nov 2, 2019

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Fangs404 posted:

Firefox is the best.

In general, there's a negative bias for the people that post about a topic online because they have more motivation. Many more people are satisfied with FF than unsatisfied.

I usually only post here to bitch about something, but I still really like Firefox.

It's sill leagues ahead of Chrome or Edge in letting the user control their experience.

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf

Lambert posted:

Firefox not having multi-language spell check (without having to switch manually every time I input text) is a pretty huge dealbreaker to me.

There's also the lack of page translation support, but that's more of an annoyance.

There's also the bad font rendering and terrible scroll anchoring (very annoying on SA), but those I can live with.

Scroll anchoring would work better on SA if you can get an admin to fix the stylesheet. Until then, we have to wait until the Firefox devs do another pass at it to have it anchor within sub-frames.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Lambert posted:

There's also the bad font rendering

So if Firefox has 'bad' font rendering, is Chrome down to toilet-level at this point?

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Megillah Gorilla posted:

I usually only post here to bitch about something, but I still really like Firefox.

It's sill leagues ahead of Chrome or Edge in letting the user control their experience.

Yep, I bitch because I love. I've got some pointed questions about the mozilla organization and their strategies, but at heart I think they have good intentions for the userbase and the software. Despite the occasional frustrating decision or terrible feature implementation, I'm still using Firefox and prefer it by far to other browsers. I think firefox is improving, though in an annoying two-steps-forward-one-back fashion.

I don't even bother being angry at whatever Chrome is doing because I know Google's motivations. I'm just another inconvenient user who isn't maximizing revenue, that's why they're gonna take away adblocking.

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib

astral posted:

So if Firefox has 'bad' font rendering, is Chrome down to toilet-level at this point?

I'd like Firefox to have the same font rendering every other browser on Windows uses, not its weird own thing. Is there any flag/option to switch this?

MohShuvuu
Aug 26, 2010

I eat ass.
Tabs will randomly crash for me when I'm browsing. Is this a Firefox problem or a hardware (ram?) issue? It never happened until the last two days.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Lambert posted:

I'd like Firefox to have the same font rendering every other browser on Windows uses, not its weird own thing. Is there any flag/option to switch this?

You can try this: https://old.reddit.com/r/firefox/comments/4ggqzo/psa_fix_firefox_fonts_on_windows/

Contra to what that reddit guy says, directwrite font rendering is not always better than GDI just because it's "new". It doesn't do RGB sub-pixel hinting, only greyscale anti-aliasing, so it looks fat or blurry for small or light fonts. OTOH GDI only does anti-aliasing in the left-right axis and doesn't work at all on text that's rotated or warped.

The downsides of directwrite go away if you have a very high DPI screen, so I can see people using 4k monitors with windows DPI scaling thinking Chrome looks better than Firefox.

MohShuvuu posted:

Tabs will randomly crash for me when I'm browsing. Is this a Firefox problem or a hardware (ram?) issue? It never happened until the last two days.

If nothing is hosed up but firefox, I'd start with that by trying a clean profile. Copy your firefox shortcut and add -p, so it ends like "firefox.exe -p". That will show you the profile selector, with an create profile button. Make a new profile and use that for a bit.

If you have other unexplained problems you could use memtest to check memory, but it's unlikely for ram to go bad out of the blue.

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

MohShuvuu posted:

You could run a memory test, but it's probably Firefox. It's still got really bad garbage collection that likes to crash for no reason whatsoever.
If you've been submitting crash reports, you can check those out via about :crashes. Just force any that haven't been submitted down their throats; they wanted to include a crash reporter, they should be goddamn happy about getting reports.

MohShuvuu
Aug 26, 2010

I eat ass.
It happens in Chrome as well. I've tested my ram once in all 4 slots and got about 6k+ errors, and testing then individually in a single door produced no errors. I'm assuming it might be one of my ram slots that's messed up.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

MohShuvuu posted:

It happens in Chrome as well. I've tested my ram once in all 4 slots and got about 6k+ errors, and testing then individually in a single door produced no errors. I'm assuming it might be one of my ram slots that's messed up.

Ok, the firefox thread probably isn't the best place to get tech support in that case. :hmmno:

But as long as I'm posting, many CPUs can't run the fastest ram speed and/or timings with 4 slots populated like they can with 2. If you've got fast ram and you're loading the XMP settings automatically or have set them manually, you probably need to go into the BIOS and back those off. Or disable XMP entirely and run memtest in the slow and safe mode.

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Doctor Rope

MohShuvuu posted:

I've had my twitter tab crash a few times in the last couple of weeks, but nothing too frequent. And I think one of them was with the stable release.

c0burn
Sep 2, 2003

The KKKing

Klyith posted:

Ok, the firefox thread probably isn't the best place to get tech support in that case. :hmmno:

But as long as I'm posting, many CPUs can't run the fastest ram speed and/or timings with 4 slots populated like they can with 2. If you've got fast ram and you're loading the XMP settings automatically or have set them manually, you probably need to go into the BIOS and back those off. Or disable XMP entirely and run memtest in the slow and safe mode.

Yeah I can't run mine at 3200 on a Ryzen board using whatever the AMD equivalent of XMP is called - DOCP? Dropping to 3000 stopped tabs crashing and other crashes elsewhere.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib

Klyith posted:

The downsides of directwrite go away if you have a very high DPI screen, so I can see people using 4k monitors with windows DPI scaling thinking Chrome looks better than Firefox.

Thanks! I'm running 2160p screens at 125% scaling, so probably the target audience for this.