Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
While we're on the subject of performances Drea De Matteo (Adriana) is fuckin' amazing and I'm glad she got an Emmy. Other less notable characters I like: The guy who plays Patsi (Dan Grimaldi) is great. I'm also struggling to think of performances I dislike.

One maybe I'm less fond of is Jimmy Altieri but I think that's more a symptom of the show not having found itself early on in the series. Jimmy feels almost too hammy. Mikey Palmice sometimes suffers from the same problem although he's such an amusing character that I end up not caring.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Joe the Strummer
Jun 14, 2012

Jimmy Altieri always looked so silly with his giant cigars

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

I'LL PUNISH YOU ACCORDING TO YOUR CRIME

Joe the Strummer posted:

Jimmy Altieri always looked so silly with his giant cigars

There's something about his acting that threw me off as well. It might just be hammy like that other poster said but idk.

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

:kimchi: Tater Love :kimchi:
Dan Grimaldi, who played the Parisi twins, is a professor at Kingsborough Community College in Brooklyn.

https://www.ratemyprofessors.com/ShowRatings.jsp?tid=156380

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016
With Jimmy, to me anyway I think it was due to us knowing he’s a rat and him not knowing anyone else knows, so we aren’t feeling convinced of anything he says

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

zakharov posted:

Dan Grimaldi, who played the Parisi twins, is a professor at Kingsborough Community College in Brooklyn.

https://www.ratemyprofessors.com/ShowRatings.jsp?tid=156380

"Turn in your papers on time or my face is the last one you see."

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

He was fine at the time but I'm glad Larry Boy Barese only got the one season and was replaced by Albert. He always struck me as also playing up a bit too much of the whole "this is how I've seen mob guys act in movies" thing, though part of that I think is because the very early Sopranos was so deliberately aping Goodfellas.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Jerusalem posted:

He was fine at the time but I'm glad Larry Boy Barese only got the one season and was replaced by Albert. He always struck me as also playing up a bit too much of the whole "this is how I've seen mob guys act in movies" thing, though part of that I think is because the very early Sopranos was so deliberately aping Goodfellas.

Larry Boy was in Goodfellas: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pxGjPCOpbv0

But yeah Albert fits the show's tone a lot more.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Jerusalem posted:

hey fuckstick, they ever show you these in moderator school, they're called Bawlllls!!!

EwokEntourage
Jun 10, 2008

BREYER: Actually, Antonin, you got it backwards. See, a power bottom is actually generating all the dissents by doing most of the work.

SCALIA: Stephen, I've heard that speed has something to do with it.

BREYER: Speed has everything to do with it.
Kinda ironic that the actor that played Larry boy wasn’t that good at portraying a mobster when he was an actual mob associate

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016
I'm pretty sure that was Albert's actor who was forced to quit the show/dissociate himself from either the show or the mob because of capitalizing on his fame

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

COMPAGNIE TOMMY posted:

I'm pretty sure that was Albert's actor who was forced to quit the show/dissociate himself from either the show or the mob because of capitalizing on his fame

Yeah, that was Albert's actor. Got busted trying to sell ketamine to an undercover cop but his case got thrown out because the judge ruled the DA didn't have jurisdiction.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Who's this remind you of?

https://twitter.com/redditships/status/1187428737257791489?s=19

also https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qxddINwarJk

codo27 fucked around with this message at 22:23 on Oct 24, 2019

UNRULY_HOUSEGUEST
Jul 19, 2006

mea culpa

Dawgstar posted:

Yeah, that was Albert's actor. Got busted trying to sell ketamine to an undercover cop but his case got thrown out because the judge ruled the DA didn't have jurisdiction.

I don't know how this is more obscure than the Ally Boy thing, but Tony Darrow, who was Larry Boy, was arrested by the FBI in 2009 because he engaged two honest to god Gambino goons to go after a guy who apparently owed Darrow $5000, and said goons did not leave the guy in the condition in which they found him. He pled guilty and got sentenced to 6 months irl house arrest.

EwokEntourage
Jun 10, 2008

BREYER: Actually, Antonin, you got it backwards. See, a power bottom is actually generating all the dissents by doing most of the work.

UNRULY_HOUSEGUEST posted:

I don't know how this is more obscure than the Ally Boy thing, but Tony Darrow, who was Larry Boy, was arrested by the FBI in 2009 because he engaged two honest to god Gambino goons to go after a guy who apparently owed Darrow $5000, and said goons did not leave the guy in the condition in which they found him. He pled guilty and got sentenced to 6 months irl house arrest.

Yea that’s what I was thinking off. Didn’t actually know the part about the ally boy actor

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005
I'm doing a rewatch and once again I am struck with an absolutely visceral dislike for Janice Soprano. Maybe because she reminds me of some of my most lovely relatives. She's so manipulative, yet she acts and thinks she's better than the rest of her family.

God, the writing for this show is so great. You just...FEEL for these characters with every twist and turn.

Fritz Coldcockin fucked around with this message at 01:40 on Oct 27, 2019

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Season 5, Episode 8 - Marco Polo

Mary De Angelis posted:

Now, here's someone we can all be proud of.

Little Carmine shows Lupertazzi Capo Jerry Basile and Consigliere Angelo Garepe around his new home in New York, right on the river. It "sang out" to he and his wife, reminding them both of their home in Miami and the villa they honeymooned at in Sicily. The purchase, more importantly, is a sign of Little Carmine's dedication to following through on his goal of succeeding his father to the role of Boss of the Family. He shows off a Trompe l'oeil ("Trumpay la oil" Little Carmine helpfully explains to Jerry) on the wall, and then a deluxe washing machine and dryer he is gifting him as thanks for backing him on a recent project over Johnny Sack. Jerry is wary, noting that Johnny is not happy about this decision, but Little Carmine assures him that now he is in New York, the two of them are going to do great things together. However a flashy house and a washing machine and a dryer are less impressive after the next revelation. Little Carmine's son rushes into the room in a panic to let him know their boat is sinking. They rush outside to the pier where they discover "My Funny Valentine" half-submerged. A furious Little Carmine perhaps foolishly proclaims that he just sailed it up from Miami without incident, giving vent to his (accurate) belief that the boat being sunk is a message from Johnny Sack. Jerry certainly seems to get the message anyway, Johnny Sack was able to penetrate right into his rival's home unseen and seemingly at will.

AJ is practicing his drums in his room when he hears a cry of alarm from the roof and then the sound of something hitting the ground below. Though he missed the shocking sight of a man plummeting past his window, the noise was enough to get his attention. Rushing to the window he looks outside where he sees his grandfather Hugh, who was up on the roof repairing tiles, has slipped and crashed into the hedge below.

At the emergency room, Carmela and her mother sit waiting to hear from the doctor, while another man sits across from them bellowing in pain as his partner tries to calm him. Mary admits that at her age she has taken to dark thoughts, hoping that she will die before Hugh simply because she doesn't want to be put into a position where he is gone from her life. She offers her daughter a slightly barbed compliment, noting she's lucky to have been spared that thanks to the breakup of her and Tony's marriage. Carmela doesn't comment, but she does speak up when Mary ponders if they should cancel their planned surprise party for his 75th birthday. It's a milestone in his life and she doesn't think they should set that aside lightly, maybe he'll be fully recovered by then? Her faith is rewarded when the doctor arrives to update him, and gives them very good news. While the fall left him bruised and certainly tender, the hedges broke his fall enough that all he needs is a few days rest and he will be fine. Palpable relief washes over them both, to the point Mary actually notices the agonized man across from her and asks out loud why nobody is seeing to him.

However, with Hugh's death no longer looming large on her, Mary's focus shifts to far less relevant subjects... like whether Tony is going to come to the party or not. Carmela admits that this has been a thorny subject for her, she can't decide what would be best, and Mary assures her that everybody would understand if she didn't invite him. Carmela considers the notion of having a big family function at the house without Tony manning the grill and playing host like he has ever since they moved there. Mary however applauds her for making the right decision not to invite Tony, pissing off Carmela who reminds her she has NOT decided. Mary, pretending confusion, says she's sure Carmela just said she wasn't going to, leaving her daughter fuming at her mother's presumption and attempts to make it a fait accompli.

Tony meanwhile is meeting with Johnny Sack, who is showing off his brand new Maserati. Johnny admits that it's a showy, attention-grabbing car and not something most "friends of ours" would own. But it was always his dream to own an Italian sports car, and Tony - who has made a lifetime habit of indulging his desires - offers an "a salut'" to Johnny for treating himself. But Tony does make a point that Johnny is starting to spend like he's already on the Throne, and Johnny will only offer back that he's had a good year (remember last season he had to cancel his Italy trip with Ginny) with a beaming smile.

Things get slightly more serious though when Johnny brings up Phil, and he and Tony's recent run-in. Phil's car needs extensive repair work and he's been endlessly complaining to Johnny about it, especially as he'd let his car insurance lapse in search of a better rate. Tony at first has no sympathy, Phil owed him money and didn't just try to duck him but disrespected him in the process. But he calms down when Johnny makes a good point: as Boss he has to let his Captains know he has their back (Carmine's failure to do this in regards to Ralphie deeply hurt Johnny's feelings) and so he is asking Tony to help out as a favor to him. He reminds him that he immediately and without reservation ruled in Tony's favor before in regards to the midget racing track sale, and Tony - who knows it is important to stay in Johnny's favor too as he is more likely to be the new Lupertazzi Boss - agrees that he will cover the costs of the repair. With one proviso though, it has to happen at a body shop of his choosing, to avoid Phil going overboard with the costs. They embrace, then Johnny happily offers to take him for a spin in the Maserati. Tony struggles a little to get into the little car, and carefully asks how Ginny liked the car, Johnny saying she loves the car but due to her "knee" she hasn't ridden in it yet. Avoiding the subject of her weight neatly, they race off down the road, Johnny struggling to control the vehicle as it swerves across the center line, more powerful than he's really used to yet. As they drive off, they're watched by poor Sal Vitro, who along with his no-longer college-educated son are landscaping Johnny's lawns free of charge, all as "thanks" to Paulie for getting Sal back half his original territory from a mobster who ended up going back to prison a couple weeks later in any case. Unlike Johnny, it hasn't been a very good year for Sal.

Tony heads out to the body shop in question, the one once run by Pussy Bonpensiero but now run by... Angie Bonpensiero!? Yes it turns out that in desperation one night she called Tony and asked him if he would "allow" her to run the body shop that now technically was supposed to belong to her. He agreed, giving her a source of income and a chance to actually regain some minor form of agency... but also leave her again further indebted to him. Does she think Pussy is in the program or does she know/suspect that Tony killed her husband? It doesn't matter, the fact is Tony has her over a barrel and he knows it: everything she has, she has by his "good grace". Everything she has, he could take away in a second. So he smiles and tells her that a friend of his called Phil will be coming by to get some repair work done on Tony's dime, as he "distracted" him while driving which caused the damage. In an act of gleeful cruelty, having just made it clear that Phil is "a friend of mine" with all that entails, he instructs her to make sure she keeps the costs down, then walks away. He offers a rote "Carmela sends her love" and Angie's desperation raises again as she asks him to pass on her own hello. Abandoned by her so-called close friends, running a mob-front body shop, living on the knife edge of losing everything, all she wants is that sense of security that has been missing from her life since Pussy's first disappearance.

The next morning, a knock at the door wakes Tony who staggers down the stairs in dressing gown, boxers, undershirt and slippers. He's surprised to see it is Carmela, and invites her in after a passing look over the mess of his living room: empty beer bottles, pizza boxes and open bags of chips. In short, he's a loving slob. She enters the house, looking around with quiet if clear disapproval. He grunts that "the girl" called in sick and she suggests he find a new one, then manages to find an empty space on a seat to sit down, declining his offer to get her something to eat or drink. He asks after her father and she explains this is why she came by, reminding him about the surprise party she told him she was planning months ago for Hugh. Tony, who had forgotten, is delighted until Carmela tells him with a nervous smile that she's considered and decided it would be best for both of them if he didn't come along. Tony's slowly growing realization that he is not going to be invited to a party at "his" home is a wonder to behold. There's an almost childlike air to him as you see how painfully hurt he is by being told this, and then his quick throwing up of a mask as he tries to save face by declaring he'd actually already decided he wasn't going to attend. Carmela either chooses to believe or eagerly grasps onto this face-saving tactic to make herself feel better, thanking him for his understanding and maturity. She assures him that Hugh of course would love to have him there and this is nothing to do with her father, while Tony as always jumps back to the one thing he can rely on for people to need him for: money. He peels off some cash from an envelope and offers it to her to help Hugh get a gift, but she declines, assuring him she and her mother are handling everything and she'd prefer him to return to therapy. The mask slipping a little, Tony snarls that he'd like to see HER go to therapy, and she finds herself snapping back before she remembers... she doesn't have to put up with this anymore. Instead she just turns and walks away, completely undercutting Tony's anger as he's left alone in his mess of a "bachelor pad", uninvited from the party and not even able to lord it over anybody with money for a change.

Junior is sleeping through a screening of La Dolce Vita when Bobby shows up danishes and coffee. Junior complains that his new medication is making him sleep, but Bobby reminds him clearly not for the first time that this isn't one of the listed side-effects, and that Junior isn't doing himself any favors by not taking the drug consistently. After Junior complains about the opening scene of the film, Bobby tells him about meeting Rosalie Aprile at the bakery and learning about Hugh's upcoming surprise party, and asks if Junior got an invitation. This is clearly the first Junior is hearing about it and he's clearly not happy about that, noting that he and Hugh go back to "when Moses wore short pants", and decides to call Hugh to let him know now that he won't be able to make it due to his house arrest. An alarmed Bobby, who should have known better than to tell him, reminds him it is a surprise party but Junior waves that off merrily: at their age, just waking up in the morning is a surprise! He makes the call via the operator and by sheer luck it is Hugh who answers instead of Mary, and so Junior of course blathers on about his many troubles before informing him he regrets that he can't make the jubilee, and repeats the same joke about it being a surprise just to wake up. He hangs up and a disappointed Bobby has to leave the room before he says something he regrets, while in his home Hugh is clearly relishing the idea that he is now in the know about his upcoming surprise.

At the Bada Bing, Tony is reviewing a folder of women (strippers, not Mitt Romney's cabinet picks) when Tony Blundetto arrives with the latest envelope from the airbag scam. Tony B is obviously doing fine at the job, to the point that Carlo has given him the go-ahead to make personnel changes at the warehouse... but he's also obviously not particularly enthralled with the job he is doing. He admits that it earns well but he's not satisfied, he knows he can be doing more for Tony and he wants the chance to prove it. Tony mistakes this as a request for more money and Blundetto quickly waves off his offer of cash, he does want more money, but he wants to earn it, not be given it. Tony reminds him he's only been "back" for a month and that for now he just needs to make do with the airbag operation, and suggests they go get a drink together. Blundetto, sensing when is the right time to talk and when isn't, agrees, but makes a slight mistake when he asks him for suggestions on what to get Hugh for his birthday. He's assumed that Tony will be there, especially since he has been invited himself. Tony, initially upset, quickly sees the chance to try and paint himself in a heroic light. He explains that HE decided not to go, and that HE went to see Carmela and told her himself that he wasn't going to come. Blundetto considers and nods, that all makes sense to him. But he has of course simply reinforced Tony's childish sense of being unfairly singled out.

Phil Leotardo and Joey Peeps arrive at Angie's Body Shop, Phil wearing a neck brace and moving gingerly. Angie, sitting at the desk doing paperwork, greets them calmly but frowns when Phil ignores her to ask where her brother-in-law is, obviously feeling she is beneath his notice as a woman. Her brother-in-law Edward "Duke" Bonpensiero comes through the door and greets them, our first ever look at Pussy's brother. Phil, in typically brusque and uncaring fashion, asks what happened with Pussy since he was away when "all that poo poo went down". Duke, clearly not comfortable with the subject even if Angie wasn't right there, simply says they don't like to talk about it, and Angie leads them to check out the work they've done on his car. He reviews their work carefully, pissed that they haven't fixed a pre-existing scratch on the rear of the car even though they were asked to repair the front-end collision damage. Joey, playing along with Phil, declares the new paint job isn't as brilliant as the previous, Angie fuming that they used exactly the same factory paint as the original. Phil hops into the passenger seat and complains that something is off, and Joey Peeps hops in as well and agrees it is off-axis and doesn't recline properly. Angie, frustrated and nervous, says they've done everything they were asked to do, but Phil isn't satisfied. He tells her to call him when they've done the job "right" and he and Joey leaves. Angie and Duke, who clearly have an uncomfortable relationship considering their only connection was Pussy, are at least on the same page now: Phil is loving them, and this is a problem they don't really have a solution to.

Hugh and Mary have joined Carmela and AJ for dinner at the Soprano home, eating Chinese takeout. Carmela brings up the subject of his upcoming birthday, asking if he would like dinner at Vesuvio's. As they lay out their proposed schedule of gifts here in the house followed by going out to dinner, he grins knowingly and happily agrees that it all sounds fine. Carmela knows her dad well enough and can see he's onto something, and asks if somebody told him something, and with great satisfaction he explains he knows all about the surprise party. They're devastated, immediately blaming AJ who gapes at the unfair accusation, but a thrilled Hugh enjoys showing off the source of his knowledge, explaining it was Junior who told him. Carmela, who has good reason to hate Junior, is furious of course, while Hugh assures her it is fine, repeating Junior's own joke about just getting up in the morning being enough of a surprise, passing it off as his own. He wants all the details, who is coming? This warms Mary up at least as she happily lays out the guest list, including his brother but more importantly... Dr Fegoli! Hugh is very pleased to hear that, he knew Russ Fegoli had retired from the foreign service but not that he'd settled in New Jersey. AJ has never heard of him and Carmela clearly isn't a fan, complaining about their daughter Octavia's five page Christmas letters, but Mary is radiant as she gushes about what a wonderful man the doctor is. She explains to an unimpressed AJ that he served in the State Department and worked with the ambassador to the Vatican and got a medal from the Pope himself. AJ is thrilled though when Hugh laughs that when they were in the Navy Fegoli had such a bad case of crabs that they called him the Governor of Maryland! Mary is outraged but Hugh laughs that AJ is old enough to hear that kind of thing now. But the mood changes when he talks about how much Tony will like another guest who is coming, and they have to tell him Tony won't be there. He's shocked, asking why Tony decided not to come, and then he becomes furious when he finds out Carmela asked him not to. She protests that Tony agreed it was for the best but he yells that she clearly got him to do that by "putting the screws to him" and storms out of the dining room, making one of his rare stands against his wife by saying he won't come to any party if the "man of the house" isn't there.

Tony is driving at night when he gets a phonecall from Angie. Sitting at her desk smoking nervously, she explains Phil's complaints and demands and says that since he is paying she wanted to check with him before going ahead with the work. Tony, taking a nasty pleasure in hearing her squirm, reminds her that she was the one who called him asking to be allowed to active control of her share in the garage so she could put her kids through college, and with that comes the responsibility to makes these calls. When she points out that she's going to have pay for all this herself with no guarantee that Tony himself will cover the expenses at the end, he enjoys offering her no peace-of-mind by telling her that she's in charge so it is her decision to make. He hangs up and a big smile crosses his face, while she is left trapped between a rock and a hard place. It's true that part of this is him lashing out at her as a surrogate for Carmela, since she's another woman from his life who wasn't satisfied with just sitting at home collecting the money he allowed her to have (allowance for Carmela, whatever percentage of the business' money Tony let her have) and he wants to punish her for that. But a larger part is just... pure nastiness. Tony is often childish, and that includes a childish desire to just be cruel for its own sake sometimes. She's twisting in the wind having to deal with this impossible situation and he's enjoying it.

Tony B is having sex with his girlfriend Gwen (this is her last appearance) when his phone rings, it's Tony of course. Despite what he just told Angie, he is interested in making sure Phil doesn't take advantage, at least not of him personally. Since Angie's place is one of the collection stops for the airbag scam, Tony wants his cousin to be there when "the Shah of Iran" (Phil and the Shah have similar eyebows) picks up the car and make sure he is happy without things spiraling too far out of control. Blundetto agrees, but then Tony... keeps talking. As Blundetto lays in bed with Gwen pressed up tight to him wanting to get back to their lovemaking, Tony tells him about how he's on his way to get a Blueberry Sundae to enjoy on a hot summer's night. Finally he hangs up, leaving Tony B to get back to his own far more enjoyable way to spend a summer night.

The next day, Blundetto has other business going on as well. Invited to lunch by Angelo Garepe at a nice restaurant, they're joined by Rusty Millio who is polite but uninterested as Tony B and Angelo laugh over the Jackie Gleason impressions Blundetto used to amuse Angelo with when they were in prison together. Rusty's interest is in Tony B's dangerous reputation of 15 years earlier, and the chance to hone that now in the present. "Somebody has to go" Rusty and Angelo both agree, and despite the fact only a month earlier Tony B was still trying to stay legit, he doesn't balk in the slightest at the concept of murder. Rather his concern is over who and why, wanting to see if there is a reason NOT to take on the hit since Angelo is offering him a chance to earn a good chunk of cash. They assure him it's nobody from Jersey, it's a New York guy and not a friend of theirs, rather a friend of a friend. Angelo's affection for Blundetto is genuine though so he admits that the target is a friend of Johnny Sack's, and Tony B clearly sees that as a good enough reason to decline: he's not going to kill somebody over a sunken boat. It's not the boat though, that enraged Little Carmine but not to the point of murder. It's Lorraine Calluzzo, she and Little Carmine went to school together and her death can't go unanswered. For Rusty's part, he's disgusted that they would kill a woman regardless of who she was friends with, clearly considering it the act of a man he can't value as a Boss. Tony B can agree it's a valid reason to want to kill somebody, but he first begs off with a request to have time to think about it, and then admits that he's probably just going to say no. Tony Soprano has been good to him, he's asked the Jersey crews to stay out of New York's current troubles, and while he could use earning more money he isn't going to potentially make trouble for his cousin in the process.

Before going to bed, Carmela has swallowed her pride and called Tony to tell him "the consensus" is that he's now welcome and even desired to be at Hugh's party. Tony, childish as ever, says it's nice but he's made plans now and it's too short notice to change them: he was going to go fishing with Silvio! Carmela, rolling her eyes and biting her tongue, is forced to practically beg him which is music to his ears. He's surprised to learn that while Artie is helping out with appetizers he isn't catering the event, instead Carmela will be doing all the cooking outside of the grilling which she will leave to Tony if he comes, because for a change she'd like Artie to be their guest as opposed to their caterer. He tells her he'll see what he can do, and knowing him well enough to know he'll be there, she thanks him and tells him she appreciates it. Hanging up, she's left having to ponder the things she goes through for her father.

The next day the cake has been delivered and Carmela is rushing about the kitchen when the doorbell rings, and she rushes to the door to find to her surprise Tony Blundetto and his twin sons are there hours early. He explains it is his weekend with the boys, so he thought he'd come early and offer her whatever help she wants while the boys stay clear and play outside. Too rushed and harried to question or comment, she signals to them to enter as she rushes to answer the phone, and they let themselves in.

A snap cut to the next scene shows Tony B's promise the kids would stay out of the way has already fallen apart, as he yells angrily at them for having put the beach chair cushion and all into the pool with them. He hauls it out, warning them not to get smart when they complain a beach chair should be fine to get wet, threatening to take them home if they don't behave. Back inside, he asks Carmela what she wants him to do but she's in the middle of doing that mom thing where she's in a bad mood because she's having to do everything herself while also ignoring any and all efforts by anybody else to actually help. She complains that she forgot to get dips so he offers to go out and buy some, but she says everybody can just get by with salsa, so he offers to make her a cocktail to help calm her nerves but she points out it's far too early. Not for him, he pours himself a drink and thanks her again for letting the kids stay and compliments her house. Normally she'd glow at this validation, but right now she's too stressed to really notice, instead laser-focusing in on AJ for getting up so late: didn't he know he should have been up early so she could ignore any offer he made to help! He points out she forgot to mail a letter to Mr. Wegler about AJ's summer school and she snaps at him to leave it on the counter. Meadow arrives with Finn and Carmela is relieved, FINALLY somebody is here to help her! She introduces Tony B to Finn, but then becomes upset when Meadow starts going through the drawers so she can make a maple-walnut icebox cake for Hugh, as it is his favorite. Carmela complains she already made a cake (to be fair, it's a hell of a presumption on Meadow's part) but Meadow is already ignoring her to stare lovingly at Finn, suggesting he go for a swim and promising to bring him a drink. Carmela shifts to ignoring Meadow as well to fume some more about having to do everything herself. Tony B has taken a close look at Finn and seems a little perturbed, but politely says he seems nice. As Meadow begins pulling out ingredients for her grandfather's cake, Tony B continues to stare at her, and she can't help but notice. She has sadly probably had plenty of creepy older guys stare longingly at her over the last few years, but she immediately picks up on what is really behind Tony B's uncomfortable gaze. He isn't aroused by her, he's saddened: he's thinking of his missing daughter Kelly, and what could have been. She asks him if he's had any luck finding her and he admits despite scouring the Internet he's found nothing, and hungrily asks her for whatever info she has about what his daughter was like during the brief period she lived with them (this is the first we've ever heard about this as viewers). It seems she was 11 and had just turned 12 when she moved out, and at the time was a Straight A student. That must only hit Tony B harder, a straight A student might have ended up at an Ivy League University like Meadow did if he hadn't gone to jail.

Carmela has taken a moment at last to review the letter for Wegler, but even that brief respite is stolen from her when Mary arrives with Hugh hours too early, honking the horn from the driveway for attention. She rushes outside complaining that Mary always does this, shows up early and throws Carmela's schedule out of whack. Mary is more concerned that Hugh is trying to pull the port-a-vac out of the trunk by himself despite his recent fall, and finally Carmela has something she can get Tony B to do... except he's already in his own car heading down the driveway with a wave, having told Meadow he has business to attend and will be back later, leaving her to babysit his boys for him on top of everything else she's already doing.

Actually I take back what I said earlier, Carmela's bad mood is plenty justified!

Tony B's business is Tony's business, of course, he's had the call from Angie that Phil is there to inspect his car. He arrives as Phil is seated in the car with Duke, so he introduces himself to Joey Peeps who is slightly wary at first of a guy from the Jersey mob. Phil is being his usual self, refusing to even try reclining the seat since it just doesn't feel right, so Tony B asks if he might be allowed to try. Phil gets out still loudly complaining, but Tony B just sits in the car and silently demonstrates that the seat is reclining without issue. Phil complains again the seat is askew, and Blundetto gives Joey a wry look which the associate can't help but smile at, rolling his eyes in return and acknowledgement of Phil being an rear end in a top hat. Unfortunately for him, Phil spots that eye-roll and rips into him, demanding to know if he has an eye problem. Joey insists he didn't say anything, and Angie tries to appeal to Phil's good side (!) by explaining replacing the seat entirely will cost her a fortune so please, please, please can't he just admit that the seat is absolutely fine? She begs him not to take out his bad moon on her but he's heard enough and starts to walk away. Blundetto, knowing Tony wants this resolved, calls out to him and offers him a compromise: why don't they replace the tracks beneath the seat and throw in a free CD Player as a make-good? Unfortunately, Duke points out that they're ALREADY done this and Phil still isn't happy. He leaves, and a slightly apologetic Joey Peeps offers Tony B a handshake and tells him it was good to meet him. Blundetto reciprocates, asking him to try and keep Phil calmed down as he rushes off to catch up with the pissed off Capo.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

At the party, the guests have arrived and the presents are piled high as people eat, drink, chat and enjoy the pool. Christopher and Adriana are chatting with cousin Brian who we haven't really seen much of since last season. Hugh pours drinks for a group of his old buddies, Finn teases a sunbathing Meadow with an ice cube, and inside Carmela continues to run herself ragged though she has at least allowed Artie and Charmaine to help out in the kitchen with the appetizers. Mary rushes into the kitchen in a panic, having just learned that Dr. Fegoli is allergic to tomatoes which is... well gently caress, they're Italian! Carmela takes it in stride though, saying they'll deal with it, and Artie suggests the proscuitto-wrapped chevre which has no tomato in it.

Outside, Father Intintola has joined Hugh and Dr. and Mrs Fegoli at the table where the priest offers his sympathies for the allergy and Russ explains it's actually a new condition after he got radiation treatment for his prostate. A pathetically eager-to-please Mary brings Russ a plate of the chevre and joins them at the table, where she regales them with stories of Livia Soprano's hatred for Northern cooking, saying that "the father" (Johnny boy) was the same and in fact all of those Sopranos (a dismissive wave of her arm) are the same. It's unprompted, Mary bringing up the Sopranos in spite of her supposed desire to keep Tony completely absent from the function. When Father Phil sadly notes that too many from Naples and Sicily feel this way, she intones with great authority that so many of "them" simply don't understand because they've never actually been to Italy. Hugh, always happy to see all sides, notes happily that in the two weeks he spent in Italy he ate good food no matter what part of "the Boot" he was in. Mary speaks lovingly of the recipes that Lena Fegoli sent her from Tuscany, proclaiming them a revelation.

Tony B has returned to the house and got hold of the camcorder to film the event at Carmela's request. She asks him to go film the guests arriving, ignoring his playful request she say a few words for the camera, so he heads off feeling unappreciated. Rosalie has been deemed worthy of helping out in the kitchen though, and she suggests Carmela have a glass of wine and try to relax a little. She can't though, Tony hasn't arrived with the charcoal or sausages yet and she complains bitterly that he's always late like this. Tony comes walking in from the basement laughing that he heard that, then pulls Palumbo sausage links (Hugh's favorite) out of the bag and throws them around his neck, asking after the birthday boy. Carmela directs him outside and he heads off with a smile, twirling the sausages like they were a stripper's boa. Interestingly, for the first time today Carmela actually smiles a little herself.

Outside, Mary is quietly "suggesting" to Hugh that he takes it a little slower with the drinks when he hears Tony singing as he steps out into the yard waving the sausages. Delighted, Hugh calls out and Tony approaches twirling the sausages and prodding them at the laughing Hugh's eyes before they embrace tightly, Mary mortified by her crass son-in-law. Dr and Mrs Fegoli don't seem overly impressed either, Russ needlessly correcting Tony's joke about it being good to have a doctor around by pointing out his Doctorate is in International Relations, and seeming less than impressed by Tony's utterly correct take that he's a "doctor" in the same way that Henry Kissinger is. Mary is humiliated, especially when Tony responds to the reveal that Russ had an audience with four Popes by jokingly asking what section they all sat in. Hugh is having a great time though, and yes Carmela has actually joined them AND has a glass of wine like Rosalie suggested. She calls out to "T.B" asking him to make sure he films the food tables and he leaves with a grimace, he'd been enjoying filming the small gathering currently happening.

Tony gets the grill started and the meat cooking. He's in his element, but leaves the grill when Carmela calls out to everybody and asks them to gather around so she can make a toast to her father. It's a short and simple toast but absolutely from the heart, and both her and Hugh get teary-eyed as she calls him the best father and grandfather in the world. The gathered guests applaud and Tony calls for a speech, and Hugh's isn't particularly grandstanding either but equally as emotional. He hugs his daughter and thanks her sincerely for the party, he thanks Tony graciously for having them in "his" home, he shows his love and appreciation to a tearful Mary for putting up with him all these years and notes she is still the prettiest girl in the world. As her parents kiss, Carmela can't help but share a look with Tony, their own failed marriage in sharper relief than ever. Hugh cheekily thanks the other "freeloaders" for coming, getting a good laugh, and that ends the speech itself, instead he and Mary just stand arm in arm reveling in the love and kindness of friends and family. Carmela suggests they open the gifts, which exposes a fun difference between Carmela and Mary. The latter thinks it is "mercenary" to go through the gifts now, while Carmela puts great stock in the fact that money was spent on them, and of course money is love! Tony decides to get them started by handing him the first one, which AJ correctly guesses is from Tony himself, his dad just wanting to show off. Dr Fegoli takes an interest in this though, recognizing the case when Hugh tears off the wrapping paper, his suspicions confirmed when an awed Hugh opens it to discover a Beretta shotgun.

Tony B is sitting drinking sulkily as the presents are opened, grunting about how nice it must be to have money. His mother is unimpressed, asking what time he started drinking, and Blundetto is delighted when his cousin (Christopher's mother) quips it was probably shortly after Quintina woke up. Carmela calls out to Tony B, "asking" him to come film the presents being opened, and he staggers over with the camcorder, filming Hugh with the gun but also Tony's gut and Carmela's rear end, purely to amuse himself.

The night stretches on and Tony brings around a tray of food, offering it to guests when he hears Dr Fegoli waxing lyrical to Hugh about the artisan craftsmanship of the Beretta gunmakers, explaining that he's actually visited their studio in Brescia. Tony is intrigued to hear this and admits he'd love to go himself, and Fegoli throws in a little tidbit about how the studio goes all the way back to the 1500s, before throwing in an incredibly meanspirited and deliberate barb: he knows for a fact that the studio NEVER exports their finest pieces. He doesn't say it explicitly, but the implication is clear as day: the Beretta Tony gave to Hugh is stolen or otherwise smuggled. Tony walks away without a word, Fegoli watching him do with an imperious look, while Hugh is left suffering the second-hand embarassment of the silent accusation. One of Hugh's other old friends tries to lighten the mood by telling the story of Hugh throwing a "cherry bomb" on some Krauts back in World War II, but Hugh is distracted by the slight to whom he still thinks of as the man of the house, as well as course as still being technically his son-in-law.

Tony returns to the grill, and Carmela joins him there where she offers him a completely genuine thank you for the gift of the gun, knowing how much it meant to her father. Tony simply notes that Hugh deserves it, but declines her offer that he take a break and enjoy the party, saying he's happy at the grill. He wouldn't mind a beer though, and Carmela is happy to fetch him one... and one for herself too. They clink glasses and take a swig, Carmela taking an especially long one, and when Tony asks her advice on the meat he is grilling she is quick to assure him without condescension that on this matter re: cooking she puts her full faith in him.

As AJ leads Devin away from the pool perhaps hoping for a little privacy, Meadow is caught up in a stimulating conversation with Tony B about the nature of rehabilitation and the failings of the prison system in America. Her knowledge is theoretically, his is practical, and neither one disputes the validity of the other's argument. Tony joins them, agreeing with his cousin that Meadow is wise beyond her years but noting she better be given how much he is paying her college! Meadow, having far too good a time, simply laughs at her father's joke and happily agrees to sit on his lap when he calls her over, enjoying this rare instance of the entire family being together AND in a good mood. Of course this can again only bring to mind Kelly for Tony B, while Carmela standing talking with her father overhears Meadow's giggles and Tony's laughter and can't help but enjoy the sight herself. Meadow heads away and Tony tosses Blundetto a cigar, and they light up and smoke. Tony points out that Hugo actually built this house, something that has never come up before in spite of all his early seasons love for his forefathers as stonemasons. Tony B however has turned to business, explaining that Phil is trying to max out getting as much for free as he can from Angie in spite of Blundetto's own efforts. Tony laughs that he'd hate to see Angie get stuck with that bill, but since Angie's "friend" Carmela is taking him to the cleaners he has to belt tighten so what can he do.

And there it is. Not only is Angie another woman who thinks she go it alone, but he assumes that she and Carmela are still tight and this whole thing is - among other considerations - a way for him to lash out in a childish tantrum towards Carmela.

The party is winding up and Hugh has had a fair bit too drink, unsteady on his feet. Carmela calls out for some "able-bodied seamen" to help him to his car, specifically singling out Tony B who snaps quietly that he's a loving slave before stomping off to do his bit (he offered at the start of the day!), surprising Tony. Meanwhile Christopher is marching his mother out of the house along with Adriana, his mother complaining that she hasn't touched a drop of alcohol which he clearly doesn't believe (Michael Imperioli is barely in this episode, perhaps in part because he wrote it and did a hell of a job). Tony helps Hugh into the back seat of his car and takes the Beretta from Carmela, loading it into the back of the car. As Carmela waits for her mother to say her goodbyes to Dr Fegoli and his wife before getting into the car with Hugh (a friend is driving), she overhears Mary thanking them but also apologizing deeply for "everything". They leave and Carmela approaches her mother, demanding to know what the hell she is apologizing for since the evening was an unparalleled success. Mary tries to move past but Carmela isn't having it, demanding to know, and her mother bitterly brings up the off-colored jokes, the sausage-twirling, lamenting that the Fegolis are "cultured" Italians and seeing Tony's crass behavior was a shock to them.

Carmela is revolted, not least of all by the hypocrisy. After all, Fegoli was a career diplomat but he openly insulted his host (even Carmela has taken to thinking of Tony as the host of this party rather than herself), and she has never liked him and his pompous attitude. Mary doesn't want a confrontation (just to make the snide comments and then escape into the night) but Carmela has had a long and stressful day and she wants to vent. She accuses her mother of trying to keep Tony from this event purely because of her own sense of shame, she didn't want her cultured friends to meet her "gavone" son-in-law. Mary complains he made them all look like gavones, but Carmela won't hear it, saying whatever they are she is proud of it, and she never wanted to believe her own mother was one of those self-loathing Italians. She reminds her protesting mother that she once overheard her tell an aunt she was glad their surname didn't end in a vowel, and that she was openly disappointed when Meadow was born and had such dark skin. It's a class thing, as it almost always is, and Carmela has no time for her mother's tears, feeling the immense short-term relief of having it out with her mother.

The house has almost entirely emptied out now but there are still a few stragglers about. Artie, Meadow, Finn, AJ, Devin and Tony are all in the pool playing Marco Polo, with Artie "It". Tony spots Carmela walking by the pool and climbs out to speak to her, an excited Artie declaring,"FISH OUT OF WATER!" until Tony explains he is taking a time-out. He's seen that Carmela is packing up the outside furniture and clearing the tables and he offers to help her out, but she tells him it is fine and he should go back to his fun. He insists though so she turns to get another plate... and he grabs her by the arms and gleefully pulls her towards the edge of the pool. As she bleats out a protest, a thrilled AJ jumps out to help his father, both of them grabbing Carmela and swinging her as she roars out a warning to them not to dare... but dare they do! She's flung into the pool, clothes and all, much to the delight of Meadow and Devin, while Artie takes the opportunity to swim over and bop her on the head declaring that now she is "It". Tony and AJ high-five and cannonball into the water as Carmela splutters indignantly and tries to leave, only to be pulled back by AJ. She dunks him under the water in revenge and then.... accepts her fate, she is "It" and therefore she must close her eyes and proclaim,"Marco." "Polo" intone the rest of the group, and the game plays on.

Back at Quintina's, Tony B puts his twin boys to bed and they say goodnight to their father and grandmother. But as Quintina leaves, Blundetto notices they've left clothes piled up and reminds them that grandma isn't their maid. Jason leaps out of the bed and pouts that HE will put them in the hamper, but he's too late and his father has noticed a folder underneath the clothes. Opening it up he discovers a complete set of pins from the 1996 Atlanta Olympics, and Justin chimes in to ask if that was when their dad was stationed in Saudi Arabia, revealing that the twins have been kept in the dark about their father's jail time. Jason admits that he "borrowed" the folder from AJ, and Tony B is horrified, he STOLE from his cousin? But he's more horrified when Jason complains that AJ won't miss it since he has so much stuff already, and that Jason loves the big Soprano house and wishes he lived there and that he didn't have to come back here. Wounded as a father and as a man, Tony B takes a moment to compose himself and then informs Jason he will return it to AJ tomorrow with an apology. He then takes their Gameboys from them, intending to donate both of them to the Salvation Army as punishment. Justin is upset, he didn't steal the pins, but Tony points out that he didn't look out for his brother and stop him from stealing which is just as bad. He storms out of the room, head spinning at the knowledge his own sons are already capable of seeing the difference between his lot in life and Tony Soprano's.

The pool has been reduced to simply Tony, Carmela, AJ and Devin now. Devin gets out, telling AJ they should go since she doesn't want to drop him at Patrick's too late. Carmela reminds AJ to call her when he gets there and he says he'll try but the coverage at Patrick's is spotty. He's not fooling anybody, they're either going out on the town or off to gently caress like rabbits (or both), and Carmela dismisses Tony's attempts to soft-pedal it on her behalf and makes it clear she's fully aware (and terrified) that her son is probably sexually active now. Tony has some commiseration though when she rolls her eyes at the notion that AJ is in love, reminding her of just how hot passions and emotions burn at that age. As he speaks, he edges a little closer to her, they're all alone in the pool now with only a sleeping Artie in a nearby beach chair around. Tony gets closer, his voice low and soft as he speaks of how at that age you can't wait to see each other, you can't keep your hands off each other, and it's clear he's not talking about AJ and Devin. When he reaches out under the water and takes her hand, she pulls it away but not in disgust, more in uncertainty as she asks him what he is doing. She backs up from him as he approaches, but not with speed, not with disgust, and her protest that they call it a night lacks authority. She can't answer him when he asks why, and admits that she is tired but doesn't offer that as an excuse, instead pointing out Artie's proximity. Tony is unconcerned though, knowing Artie is completely out of it, and suddenly he's far closer than Carmela realized and she's up against the wall and they're kissing and she knows she shouldn't but she can't stop and he's whispering sweet nothings about how good it feels and he was such a good host and a loving father and now he's taking her shirt off and shushing her half-hearted protests and well poo poo this was not the ending to this evening she was expecting.

The sounds of a dog barking in the morning wakes Artie Bucco. A little confused by where he's found himself, he staggers off the beach chair and gathers up his clothes, looking around the remains of the party before he staggers off to return home.

Tony B sits at home with his mother as she watches a cooking show, brooding over everything he wants and could have had, and everything his cousin currently does have. Coming to a decision, he puts in a call to Rusty Millio, who is sitting in a small office/gaming room with Angelo Garepe while Little Carmine is given a shave in the background. Tony B says two words which will have enormous consequences for Tony Soprano across the entirety of the rest of this show's run: "I'm in."

Carmela is sleeping in as the clock ticks closer to 10am, utterly exhausted by an emotionally and physically draining night AND sex with her estranged husband. Tony quietly dresses beside the bed, the reverse of the bulk of their marriage where he has snuck in late at night and quietly undressed to join her in bed. Quietly he asks if she is awake, but she's dead to the world, so quietly he leaves the room and the house. For once he has made no presumption, perhaps the one time he could have or perhaps should have.

That evening, Joey Peeps makes his collection at a brothel, where business is good and the envelope is stuffed with cash. The manager has no issue with handing over the cash, proudly noting there is more in there than last week, enjoying being able to keep the likes of Phil Leotardo and Johnny Sack happy. One of the prostitutes, Heather, is on her way out and Joey tells her he's heading downtown, leaving his invitation implied but obvious. Heather grins and says she's going downtown too and they leave, Joey feeling like the world is his oyster: an envelope stuffed with cash, an association with the future Boss of the Lupertazzi Family and a rising star Captain to boot, and not a pretty girl who is clearly interested in him.... or at least the associated power that comes with him.

As they leave the brothel, music kicks in as Tony Blundetto steps out of his car and approaches. As Joey gets into his car, Tony B arrives and knocks on the window. Joey recognizes him, Tony Soprano's cousin, the guy from the body shop who he got on so well with and made him laugh. His guard isn't up at all, this isn't anybody from Little Carmine's crew, and so he assumes that Blundetto just happened to be visiting the same brothel. So he smiles, and Heather takes her cue from Joey and smiles too... and Tony Blundetto pulls out a gun and shoots them both.

Except he doesn't just shoot them both. He shoots Joey and then he very deliberately makes a point of pulling back, adjusting his aim, then moving back forward to shoot Heather as well. He does it without hesitation, shooting Heather who probably is roughly around Meadow/Kelly's age, actually walking forward with the car to make sure his aim is true since Joey falling forward has set the car rolling. Unfortunately for Blundetto, this means the car rolls over his foot, causing him agonizing pain. He falls to the ground, then hauls himself up and limps back to his car as Joey's rolls into the one in front of it (Angie won't be fixing this one), clambering in and driving away.

He's back in the game now. Deep.

Season 5: Two Tonys | Rat Pack | Where's Johnny? | All Happy Families... | Irregular Around the Margins | Sentimental Education | In Camelot | Marco Polo | Unidentified Black Males | Cold Cuts | The Test Dream | Long Term Parking | All Due Respect
Season 1 | Season 2 | Season 3 | Season 4 | Season 5 | Season 6.1 | Season 6.2

Jerusalem fucked around with this message at 14:55 on Apr 23, 2020

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

I'LL PUNISH YOU ACCORDING TO YOUR CRIME
I always liked the theory that Russ Fegoli was the GI that slept with Paulie's real mother.

Excellent write up, Jerusalem! This is one of my favorite episodes.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Haha does that mean Paulie’s mom is the one who gave the him crabs? That’s great.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Apart from all the very obvious reasons to like it (I loving love the party) I really like this episode exploring at least a couple of examples of characters badly affected by Tony's actions and how they're striving to move on from that but are trapped by having to stay in the good graces of the guy who hosed up their lives in the first place.

In both Angie and Tony B's case, they're not even aware of Tony's guilt (I suspect Angie at the very least suspects) but it is still chaining them down. It is interesting how both end up, with Angie in this episode in the transition phase between her neurotic character from the early seasons and the hyper-confident authority at the Body Shop we see in later seasons. Tony B meanwhile has hosed up his own attempts to go legit in spite of being given every opportunity possible and more besides, rankles at not being IMMEDIATELY shunted to a higher level of authority (his proclamations of being a team player are predicated on his obvious belief he's going to be the star player if they'd just give him the opportunity), plunges Tony right into the heart of the war between Little Carmine and Johnny Sack and makes a blood enemy of one of Johnny's most dangerous and hot-blooded Capos.

Carmela is kind of in a similar boat, she had attempted to move on but in spite of her own insistence she isn't going to let Tony get away with his bullshit anymore it only takes one stressful day and seeing him as the loving father and gracious host again to melt her resistance to him. Tony basically continually gets away with all his bullshit, gets pissed if he gets called on it, angry that he feels guilty and blames his own victims for "making" him do the things he does.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Jerusalem posted:

The night stretches on and Tony brings around a tray of food, offering it to guests when he hears Dr Fegoli waxing lyrical to Hugh about the artisan craftsmanship of the Beretta gunmakers, explaining that he's actually visited their studio in Brescia. Tony is intrigued to hear this and admits he'd love to go himself, and Fegoli throws in a little tidbit about how the studio goes all the way back to the 1500s, before throwing in an incredibly meanspirited and deliberate barb: he knows for a fact that the studio NEVER exports their finest pieces. He doesn't say it explicitly, but the implication is clear as day: the Beretta Tony gave to Hugh is stolen or otherwise smuggled.

Interesting, I always thought the implied insult was that Tony gave Hugh an inferior gun because he either couldn't get the best piece or was just too dumb to know the best pieces were never exported.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

It doesn't come up very often any more but remember that part of Tony's deal with Annalisa back in season 2 was that in addition to paying cash for the smuggled cars going to Italy, she would start smuggling goods from Italy into America (which lead to stuff like Pussy wandering about in a Nazi uniform doing a Sergeant Schultz impersonation back when Tony was trying to keep a low profile). It's easy enough for Tony to get a Barreta shotgun sent over, but he won't have paid any taxes or gone through any kind of legal distribution and Fegoli knows it and clearly doesn't think Tony got it second-hand somehow.

Edit: Also Tony straight up admits he has never been to the place where they are manufactured, which is all but admitting he has no legitimate source to have purchased it.

Jerusalem fucked around with this message at 12:39 on Oct 27, 2019

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo
This is one my favourite episodes in the show, mainly because Hugh is one of my favourite characters and he gets to be happy! Instead of being henpecked by his wife all the time.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Fritz Coldcockin posted:

I'm doing a rewatch and once again I am struck with an absolutely visceral dislike for Janice Soprano. Maybe because she reminds me of some of my most lovely relatives. She's so manipulative, yet she acts and thinks she's better than the rest of her family.

God, the writing for this show is so great. You just...FEEL for these characters with every twist and turn.

I think the hatred for Janice is pretty universal

Tony being a dick to Angie I always felt had to do with his resentment and loathing for her husband - like "what that rat gently caress made me do" sort of a thing. Angie's mere presence must grind his gears and remind him of the betrayal and the murder.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

BiggerBoat posted:

I think the hatred for Janice is pretty universal

Tony being a dick to Angie I always felt had to do with his resentment and loathing for her husband - like "what that rat gently caress made me do" sort of a thing. Angie's mere presence must grind his gears and remind him of the betrayal and the murder.

And I'm sure Tony still remembers how Angie went asking for more money for her dog when she was able to buy like a Cadillac with whatever monthly allowance he gave her.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
This is out of left field and ridiculous, but Jerusalem, where are you from that you keep calling Tony's robe a dressing gown?

EDIT: Also, Phil being called "the Shah" or "the Shah of Iran" is the reason "Rock the Casbah" is playing when Tony runs Phil off the road in "In Camelot"

Mohammad Reza Pahlavi/Shah, the Last Shah of Iran

Pope Corky the IX fucked around with this message at 23:22 on Oct 28, 2019

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

I linked to the Shah in the write-up! Though I didn't make the Rock the Casbah connection before, that's cute.

EwokEntourage
Jun 10, 2008

banned from Starbucks posted:

Interesting, I always thought the implied insult was that Tony gave Hugh an inferior gun because he either couldn't get the best piece or was just too dumb to know the best pieces were never exported.

This was the take I got from it but the other explanation works as well

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Going around for 2 days now with fuckin leave me breathless in my head from Meadow singing it as she took the bugged lamp

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
I often get Tony's version of "I don't wanna do your dirty work...no more" stuck in my head. Either that or his version of "Another Brick in the Wall" that goes "We don't need no doo-dah-dee-dah..."

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Jerusalem posted:

It appears she is a little death
Freudian af.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Eek, that's not good! Thanks, fixed now.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Pope Corky the IX posted:

I often get Tony's version of "I don't wanna do your dirty work...no more" stuck in my head. Either that or his version of "Another Brick in the Wall" that goes "We don't need no doo-dah-dee-dah..."

"Iiiiii don' wanna do your dirty, no moah...."

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

You know, for the talk about the "golden age of TV", I cant help but think about two other shows that started around the same time. American Idol and Survivor. So while the Sopranos ushered in a new era of prestige programming, literally everything else was about to go to complete poo poo and all be reduced to identical shows in the exact same format. Anyway, time to go back to season 56 of Say Yes to Love it or List It Wars

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Those are basically just game shows.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005
I'm confused about the take with the shotgun:
Was it that tony smuggled a real deal Benelli from italy and gave it to his father or that it was a cheap export model Benelli and that the snooty diplomat guy was turning his nose it?
In the first case it would be disgust over the illegal nature of the item but he woudln't be scoffing at the product.
In the second case the guy is just making GBS threads on the gift Tony's FIL just got, independent of the origin.

Also how cool would it be to get cast as "featured extra in waiting room in debilitating pain"?

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Look at the way Tony just tosses the thing into Hugh's trunk. I think it's clear that the shotgun was probably the best Tony could get, but not the best model ever because they're not exported.

Big Dick Cheney
Mar 30, 2007
I mean it's still a pretty nice gun. I think the diplomat was just being a dick.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

I just saw that episode again the other day and rewatched that scene a couple times. The way the other guests react def makes it seem like hes saying "your gift was an inferior piece" more than "you must have stolen it" or something along those lines. Its obvious Tony has money and could get one on the secondary market or whatever if he wanted or knew to so "you prob went to italy and stole it" doesn't really seem like the conclusion a bunch of guests would all jump to at once and act like it was a huge insult.