Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

Average Bear posted:

Martin Nword.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a fatguy baldspot
Aug 29, 2018

Average Bear posted:

Martin Nword.

Lmao but yea it sounds cool As F

swimsuit
Jan 22, 2009

yeah
play the kaiserreich us civil war, op

strong bird
May 12, 2009

i'm not sure about baronies as provinces, i think it might lead to a huge slog but i guess if they increase troop movement speeds it shouldnt be so bad?

Michael Transactions
Nov 11, 2013

Average Bear posted:

Martin Nword.

lol

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

Stealing a post from the Games thread, here’s a new article that goes into more detail about the stuff that’s already been announced, and a reddit post by the author that goes into some smaller details that didn’t make it into the article. Info comes from a conversation with Henrik:

Some pretty interesting stuff, being able to dig up actual dirt on characters for intrigue sounds cool. Seems like Muslims will use the old “characters that like you more give you more levies” system while feudal characters rely on actual feudal contracts where they have to provide x% of the troops and income to their lord but can use leverage to try to force a better contract.

Also, no wacky poo poo (supernatural stuff, horse culture, etc) at launch and if they do add it there will be an option to turn it off day one. There’s still stuff to account for the way medieval people viewed the world but it won’t actually be supernatural, a character can be a witch but it just means that they’re herbalists or fortune-tellers or whatever, not that they can spend Dark Power to curse their enemies.

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

Chuck Buried Treasure posted:

Stealing a post from the Games thread, here’s a new article that goes into more detail about the stuff that’s already been announced, and a reddit post by the author that goes into some smaller details that didn’t make it into the article. Info comes from a conversation with Henrik:

Some pretty interesting stuff, being able to dig up actual dirt on characters for intrigue sounds cool. Seems like Muslims will use the old “characters that like you more give you more levies” system while feudal characters rely on actual feudal contracts where they have to provide x% of the troops and income to their lord but can use leverage to try to force a better contract.

Also, no wacky poo poo (supernatural stuff, horse culture, etc) at launch and if they do add it there will be an option to turn it off day one. There’s still stuff to account for the way medieval people viewed the world but it won’t actually be supernatural, a character can be a witch but it just means that they’re herbalists or fortune-tellers or whatever, not that they can spend Dark Power to curse their enemies.

The "oh man you can actually talk to satan" was some of the aidiest poo poo in the game thank god.

a fatguy baldspot
Aug 29, 2018

Arrhythmia posted:

The "oh man you can actually talk to satan" was some of the aidiest poo poo in the game thank god.

yeah it was bad. but calling something aids is in itself very aidsy.

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

Arrhythmia posted:

Yeah, I was fine with the borderline stuff that might be supernatural or might not, like the “portal to Hell” that might just be a sinkhole that your people are freaking out about. And I’m okay with one or two rare supernatural events just as an Easter egg. But they just kept piling more and more on and it was all just obnoxiously :razz:

A few other noteworthy things from the article for anyone who doesn’t want to sit and read the whole thing:

All religions will be playable at launch, but merchant republics and theocracies won’t, and nomads won’t be in the game (Cumans, Magyars, etc will be in and playable, but they’ll just use tribal mechanics. Mongol hordes will be in though).

Tyrannical actions will now also build up Dread, so your vassals will still hate you but might be too scared to do anything about it. The catch being that when your character dies the heir will inherit at least some of the bad opinion but not the dread.

Playing against your character’s personality (behaving cruelly as a character with the Kind trait, etc) will build up stress. You can do it sometimes without issue but at certain amounts of stress buildup you’ll start getting penalties, and build up enough and you can have a complete mental break and become a lunatic

E: oh and they said that almost all events will be totally new instead of copied over from CK2, and instead of MTTH they’ll have actual triggers

Punished Chuck fucked around with this message at 16:43 on Oct 23, 2019

a fatguy baldspot
Aug 29, 2018

what was so bad about nomads that they had to permanently remove them

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Thank god. Mean time to happen is so lovely. Something about how it works in ck2 is bad, too. I felt like if you had a character who ruled 20 or 30 years you could see literally every event in the game.

Average Bear
Apr 4, 2010
Yeah CK2 had a big problem with not enough event variety.

As for nomads I don't think they worked well in the game's feudal framework. Neither did China or byzantium, but paradox insists of stretching the map sea to shining sea.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

The new Byzantium system was really loving wonky

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I know what they mean, but making claims like CK3's map will be "four times bigger" than CK2's is funny on its surface.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

CK3 is proud to introduce its new map, Earth 2.

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009

Plutonis posted:

The new Byzantium system was really loving wonky

hm, I'll just click this viceroyalty kingdom law and then I'll be able to give them out for both duchies and kingdoms since I'm imperial and not feudal......I hope....

So much for that ironman save. I guess I could edit it back but still really disappointing how unclear that is.

The other thing that sucked in that game was that my genius son had the most points for the emperorship for basically the current character, his father's, whole lifetime until he got disfigured in a battle. And this was after I had given him a duchy, which was usurped by one of his counts, where he was imprisoned and there was literally no way for me to free or ransom him from the new duke. He eventually was released voluntarily I guess, unscathed at the time. But the disfigurement thing is clear, it's the other stuff that isn't.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up

In Training posted:

I know what they mean, but making claims like CK3's map will be "four times bigger" than CK2's is funny on its surface.

the camera just defaults zoomed in

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

depending on the timing, i assume ill buy this full price, play one long game, wait until theres 4 expansions and am told its "fixed" now, play that once, and then just read this thread forever ftw

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

elf help book posted:

depending on the timing, i assume ill buy this full price, play one long game, wait until theres 4 expansions and am told its "fixed" now, play that once, and then just read this thread forever ftw

So muchbthis

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

call me when i can convert the whole map to peru llamas

Average Bear
Apr 4, 2010
The only two paradox games I will say are good are EU4 and CK2. Never played Stellaris but the people who do just complain about it. Imperator will likely never be good, and HOI4 is only fun for a bit.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

HOI4 is fun.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

It's more simplistic politically and narratively but it's great for multiplayer and mods.

Average Bear
Apr 4, 2010
Oh for sure. I just think EU4 and CK2 are replayable for longer. Especially multiplayer EU4.

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade
Checks out, the only fun I really ever got out of HoI4 was in multiplayer.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

In Training posted:

It's more simplistic politically and narratively but it's great for multiplayer and mods.

this

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I hated ck2 before the old gods and I had a hard time enjoying EU4 before art of war. So I'm conditioned to paradox releasing unplayable trash that's effectively $100 instead of $40 or whatever. But when is stellaris getting a patch that makes it good lol.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

One thing they never did properly (or at all that I know of) was model the great schism because of the original start date but now that the old gods start date is baked in I wonder if we’ll get anything interesting.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Are we seriously gonna do “how many patches it took to play the game” dick waving? Because that’s how flamewars kick off.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

quote:

There will be five unique graphics sets for clothes at launch: Western (European), Middle Eastern, Sub-Saharan, Indian, and Steppe. Everyone else uses whatever is the closest match. In terms of physical appearance, the new DNA system can represent all ethnicities, so we probably won't see face packs again. No era-specific clothing at launch.

Clothing is partly based on rank. A Western Count and a Western Duke might wear a similar style clothing, but one wears linen and one wears silk and you will be able to see that difference.

No more static event pictures. Events will feature the actual character models posed against some kind of background, and they can have props like knives, crucifixes, etc. Currently they don't animate to actually interact like getting into a fight.

Tutorial is described as "Stellaris-like", and they've improved the ways the game can give you suggestions on what you want to be doing. More approachable, but not dumbed down.

Custom religions you found can have Holy Orders. Not ready to talk much about that.

The tech system is more tied to characters than it was in CK2, but not ready to talk about it yet.

Councilor jobs like Steward are now an "office" that is placed on the map instead of a person, so you don't have to re-assign it when the councilor dies. The office itself can even still keep working without a holder, just at a very reduced effectiveness.

The new Doctrines and Tenets are being used to represent more historically accurate versions of real heresies like Catharism. The AI will found these, and they are weighted to appear at the place and time they did historically. The AI will stick to founding historical heresies and won't abuse the system to create random weird ones. That's the player's job.

Zoroastrians can still have incest, naturally, and you can reform any religion to allow it now.

Historical events like the Mongol Invasion are in. Dynamic epidemics from Reaper's Due are not in, as they didn't feel that feature worked very well. No word on how the plague will be handled.

Characters still get sick and are treated by Court Physicians.

Provinces now have Development, which is like civilization value in Imperator. Tribes don't care about it but feudals get more taxes from it.

Revolt Risk has been replaced by Control, which is going to work a bit differently.

If your heir when you die is an old guy who has already invested all of his perks, you can respec his lifestyle tree once if it sucks.

Splendour is like your Dynasty XP. It's used to buy Legacies, which are kind of like national ideas in EU4 and stay with your dynasty forever. One of these lets you increase the chances of inheriting congenital traits, if you want to create a dynasty of stong genius ubermensch. It's not realistic but it is a playstyle they want to support.

Foreigners don't care about Dread, only your own vassals.

Fleets are now handled like CK1. You just pay money to turn into boats. Naval combat is a possibility in the future. Henrik thinks it would be cool, especially for the Mediterranean.

Vikings can still sail up rivers.

There is a big fly snake hanging out in the Terra Incognita on the Eastern edge of the map and it looks like they've left plenty of room to add China in the future. They wouldn't say anything about it. No Chinese Emperor interactions at launch.

No plans for a CK3 to EU4 converter.

You only need to siege the fortified holdings to occupy an entire county. Castles are automatically fortified, but cities and churches are not unless you have built walls in them.

Factions are back. Peasants can now found factions. One example given was that Norwegian peasants living under a Danish king can found a self-rule faction, and Norwegian culture nobles will join them. Like a combination of a CK2 faction and a peasant revolt, very powerful.

Henrik is not interested in non-dynastic play (Holy Orders, etc). Playable mercenaries are a possibility, being landless and using your armies to make money. Adoption is also a potential mechanic. Neither one will be in at launch.

Much more events that deal with interpersonal drama and people important to the player, like family/friends/rivals.

Events can look back at how the relationship between two characters has developed over many years and generate content for them dynamically.

Poetry generator that will actually make your poetry better or worse based on character skill.

Double the number of content designers working on CK3 as CK2 had at its height.

Direct vassals will always matter. So the previous comment about Barons not being important doesn't necessarily apply if you're a Count.

No crazy fantasy events (immortality, Satanism, child of destiny) at launch. Undecided if they will be added later, but if they will, there will definitely be game rules to turn them off. CK3 should feel more historical compared to CK2. This was a goal.

There will be special mechanics for Crusades but they're not talking about that yet.

Playing pagans feels "significantly different" from CK2.

You can reform from tribal to feudal.

Control is more of a short-term thing and Development is more long-term. For example, Control in a province is reduced when it changes owners but recovers quickly.

Religions have degrees of relation. Abrahamic > Christian > Catholic.

Eastern Religions are still more tolerant of heresies.

Ecumenism: Catholics/Orthodox/Coptic don't treat each other as heresies for purposes of CBs and stuff. There are steps of tolerance. It's not just "True Faith, Heretic, or Heathen".

Converting foreign rulers with your chaplain will not be in at launch.

Investiture system and antipopes will not be in at launch.

When you found a new religion, some vassals and some provinces will convert. Based on things like opinion modifier and traits (Zealous/Cynical)

Terrain type has an effect on Development in provinces, but climate currently does not.

No inventory system at launch.

Stress system penalizes players for playing out of character. Some new traits have been added to bolster this. It is apparently harder to get traits

Vassal contracts are individual. Stronger vassals can individually negotiate for better terms i.e. more independence

AI will only create historical heresies like Catharism. Only player can create random ones.

Most of those look really good, although I'm iffy on the mechanics they are obviously holding back for future expacs.

a fatguy baldspot
Aug 29, 2018

Average Bear posted:

The only two paradox games I will say are good are EU4 and CK2. Never played Stellaris but the people who do just complain about it. Imperator will likely never be good, and HOI4 is only fun for a bit.

stellaris was good for like a hot minute before they took out the tile system

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

the tile system was garbage

a fatguy baldspot
Aug 29, 2018

BBJoey posted:

the tile system was garbage

yeah but what they replaced it with is worse

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Looks cool.

https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/index.php?threads/ck3-dev-diary-1-dynasties-houses.1270519/

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Tbh as long as ck3 has good holy war mechanics, good religious mechanics, and that dynasty system is better than ck2 I guess I dont mind my $200 of dlc being obsolete

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

Nice, looks like this will promote a lot of intrigue even within dynasties as you struggle to stay house head or dynast.

I wasn’t sure about the legacies when it was first announced but I hadn’t thought about what this DD pointed out, that it allows some permanent progression even if you end up losing a lot of land and titles. That’s neat.

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade

quote:

No matter how much I pleaded with art I couldn’t get a ‘Habsburg chin’ trait, though!
Game's already a failure!

Average Bear
Apr 4, 2010
This all looks really great. I'm glad they're putting a real game under the sandbox CK2 laid down.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Yeah that’s a good start. Even though it’s gonna be light on wide content, as long as its much deeper than ck2 then I’ll be happy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I'm getting hype.