Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jandipoo
Mar 29, 2008

I am the great Cornholio!

BigglesSWE posted:

Launch trailer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g-WKpapqVU8

Man I wish you'd launch it.

I don't expect them to suddenly release the game early, however, it has been done. Battlefield V was suddenly released a few days early last year on their subscription thingy, and they announced it the moment the game was released.

I wouldn't buy a Rockstar subscription but man....I cannot stress enough how much time I'd have for some cowboyin' all these days up till Tuesday.

Fair warning, this trailer includes some pretty hefty story spoilers for some reason.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PlushCow
Oct 19, 2005

The cow eats the grass

BigglesSWE posted:

Launch trailer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g-WKpapqVU8

Man I wish you'd launch it.

I don't expect them to suddenly release the game early, however, it has been done. Battlefield V was suddenly released a few days early last year on their subscription thingy, and they announced it the moment the game was released.

I wouldn't buy a Rockstar subscription but man....I cannot stress enough how much time I'd have for some cowboyin' all these days up till Tuesday.

Really weird they are showing Chapter 5 stuff in that trailer, that was pretty surprising to me when it happened during my playthrough. I won't be sharing the trailer with my PC only friends.

What are those who are playing the online a lot, doing with their time? I started my PS+ free trial a while ago to test how well the online would work on my PS4's wifi, and it seemed alright for the most part, but I didn't get as much time to play during my trial as I'd like partly due to power outages and didn't get to explore the online stuff well enough to really know what there is to do with your time.

Jandipoo
Mar 29, 2008

PlushCow posted:

Really weird they are showing Chapter 5 stuff in that trailer, that was pretty surprising to me when it happened during my playthrough. I won't be sharing the trailer with my PC only friends.

What are those who are playing the online a lot, doing with their time? I started my PS+ free trial a while ago to test how well the online would work on my PS4's wifi, and it seemed alright for the most part, but I didn't get as much time to play during my trial as I'd like partly due to power outages and didn't get to explore the online stuff well enough to really know what there is to do with your time.

Mostly hunting/killing bandit camps/bounty hunting.

I enjoy just riding around and getting getting in trouble.

Super Foul Egg
Oct 5, 2005
Don't take me for an ordinary man

Online is, like GTA, less of an objective-based skill game and more of physics sandbox fuckaround.

There are a few functional number go up mechanics in there now, but the correct way to play is still bring other people, laugh at them falling off their horse, then fall off your own horse. While drunk and on fire and wearing a stolen hat.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

I like to put on a podcast and ride around hunting to earn money/xp for the trader role. Mindless but soothing. When your camp/the animals actually spawn, that is

Sleekly
Aug 21, 2008

I swap between trading, bountys and collecting. They all pay pretty well and the higher difficulty bounties are great fun. I'll join random posses and do whatever. There are some fun shenanigans to be had in free roam.

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

Yeah I've played up to level 60 online over the last year and it's still pretty fun. I got bored with the bolt action so now I'm trying to run all missions free aim as possible with either dual pistols or a repeater. Headshotting dudes from the waist with my repeater is just... just marvelous.

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.

Jandipoo posted:

Fair warning, this trailer includes some pretty hefty story spoilers for some reason.

Yeah I was pretty wtf when it started showing tropical island stuff. So after 12 months spoiler free I’ve had two major things spoiled in like 3 days :smith:

Jandipoo
Mar 29, 2008

webmeister posted:

Yeah I was pretty wtf when it started showing tropical island stuff. So after 12 months spoiler free I’ve had two major things spoiled in like 3 days :smith:

Well, depending on what the other thing is, you still have a huge expansive game with some twists and turns you won't expect.

talktapes
Apr 14, 2007

You ever hear of the neutron bomb?

webmeister posted:

If you've played RDR you already have a rough idea of how the plot ends, and if not it really doesn't matter too much contextually

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

Haha reinstalled this to check out the new updates and content for online and was disconnected in 5 minutes, good to know its still alpha level trash lol

Sleekly
Aug 21, 2008

5 mins is pretty good lol I usually get one or two complete non starters before it decides to give me a stable session.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

I don't find myself getting outright disconnected often, but the camp/animal bugs you get when you play are pretty bad

Transmogrifier
Dec 10, 2004

Systems at max!

Lipstick Apathy
My game would stay connected for maybe ten, fifteen minutes when I was using wifi. The best fix I've found is just turning your phone into a mobile hot spot and connecting that way if you have unlimited data. The only persistent connection problem is that nine times out of ten I disconnect when completing a legendary bounty.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

Transmogrifier posted:

My game would stay connected for maybe ten, fifteen minutes when I was using wifi. The best fix I've found is just turning your phone into a mobile hot spot and connecting that way if you have unlimited data. The only persistent connection problem is that nine times out of ten I disconnect when completing a legendary bounty.

I'm hardlined into the PS4 and the PS4 is in the DMZ, if the game disconnects its the games fault.

Squirrel Burger
Jul 19, 2011

nobody likes a rotten pumbo
a friendly "tip of the hat" and "yee-haw" to all the pardners out there who let me ride on the back of their horses to faraway bounties, giving me the necessary bandwidth to hit this blunt

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
RDR2 on PC will be my first RDR experience

how much is it structured like GTA, and what is the online experience like? I generally did not like GTA V Online.

Sleekly
Aug 21, 2008

Squirrel Burger posted:

a friendly "tip of the hat" and "yee-haw" to all the pardners out there who let me ride on the back of their horses to faraway bounties, giving me the necessary bandwidth to hit this blunt

:same:
it really pisses off some people tho

Squirrel Burger
Jul 19, 2011

nobody likes a rotten pumbo
i always let people ride my horse if they jump to it. smoke up homie. you earned it

HORMELCHILI
Jan 13, 2010

Squirrel Burger posted:

Playing with friends is a constant battle of strategically waiting until the right moment to jump on someone elses horse to make them drive while you smoke, going back to gta 4

Transmogrifier
Dec 10, 2004

Systems at max!

Lipstick Apathy

WoodrowSkillson posted:

I'm hardlined into the PS4 and the PS4 is in the DMZ, if the game disconnects its the games fault.

I'm not saying it isn't the game, or more specifically Rockstar's fault. It is. I'm just letting folks here know there's another method for connecting that's proven to be pretty successful for a lot of people.

There's a goon RDR discord right? Someone mind posting a permanent invite URL?

Jeremor
Jun 1, 2009

Drop Your Nuts

Why the hell does this game unlock on a tuesday? I want to be a cowboy. I need to be a cowboy

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!
Replaying GTA V now and...ugh, please tell me that the writing in RDR2 isn’t as obnoxious and plastic as in GTA?

Tercio
Jan 30, 2003

No transfer of console RDR Online characters to PC, according to Polygon.

Jandipoo
Mar 29, 2008

BigglesSWE posted:

Replaying GTA V now and...ugh, please tell me that the writing in RDR2 isn’t as obnoxious and plastic as in GTA?

The Red Dead games have much, much better writing than GTA games. To an almost ridiculous level.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Jandipoo posted:

The Red Dead games have much, much better writing than GTA games. To an almost ridiculous level.

Yeah it’s no comparison. Red dead 2 isn’t even just “good, for a video game”, it’s actually quite good

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

:hampants::hampants::hampants:
It's one of the most compelling video game experiences I've ever had and if Disco Elysium wouldn't have just knocked it clean off its perch, I would say it's the best written game I've played in the past 5 years.

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

But yeah, guys who are gonna play the PC version for first time. I think it's good advice to say to save during chapter 2, maybe after you get fishing. This will be your freeroam file. Chapter one, while interesting, is long and tutorially, and sometimes you just want to start from the beginning without a long tutorial.

As for why not later

Things change.

Professorjuggalo
Oct 22, 2019

by Cyrano4747
Can I not like, bang out the main game and go around cowboying on post game?

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

Professorjuggalo posted:

You can but online is a better general cowboy simulation imo.

Mandrel
Sep 24, 2006

Professorjuggalo posted:

you totally can, you're never locked out of anything other than a couple of chapter sensitive sidequests and can even beeline the main story and put off all your sidequesting and exploring to the post game if you want

but for story/immersion reasons you probably will be more and more reluctant to do so

chapter 2 is when things are the sunniest and most carefree for endless free roaming and side questing so most people recommend keeping a "free roam save" there to dick around with

toggle
Nov 7, 2005

Can you just play PVE without being attacked by real people? So technically it's online, but you never see or talk to anyone? (just like real life)

Sleekly
Aug 21, 2008

Yes you can play in defensive mode which will leave you free to do whatever, other players cannot target you. This isn't nearly as adversarial as GTA though. Imo youd lose something playing defensive 100% of the time.

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003

Good hunter, free us from this waking nightmare

Sleekly posted:

Yes you can play in defensive mode which will leave you free to do whatever, other players cannot target you. This isn't nearly as adversarial as GTA though. Imo youd lose something playing defensive 100% of the time.

You lose nothing.

toggle posted:

Can you just play PVE without being attacked by real people? So technically it's online, but you never see or talk to anyone? (just like real life)

You can. Defensive means you can take a few more shots from a player, but they can still damage you. Sometimes you get flagged as hostile for defending yourself, because... reasons?

Ideally Red Dead Online gets Session Sweeper fairly quickly so folks can make their own lobbies as we did in GTA Online.

Wheezle
Aug 13, 2007

420 stop boats erryday
Still very curious to see if defensive mode does anything different on PC since auto aim is pretty much a non issue.

I’m guessing the answer is “no” since that is the worst answer.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

toggle posted:

There's nothing that will let you play truly by yourself online yet no. And as far as I know, nobody's figured out how to force it like they did for GTAO.

That said, I'm also a person who wants what you want, but I haven't really found RDO to be that bad. Defensive mode stops people from easily one-shotting you (doesn't completely stop people from loving with you but it goes a long way) and the fact that the map is big, and you can't see other players until you get close helps a lot too. And if a player is acting like an rear end in a top hat, they get a red dot on the map, and you can see them long before they can see you, and it's pretty easy to steer clear of them.

So it's not entirely a PVP-free experience, and like you I wish that were an option too, but I don't find it ruins my enjoyment of the game too much. People will try to tell you "actually, getting murdered by strangers is fun, you like it" and even though i'll never agree with that, RDO isn't too obnoxious in its current state, you might just have to move along a little bit if there's a posse rolling through your hunting grounds or something.

Hopefully it stays chill but who knows what the future of the game will be

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003

Good hunter, free us from this waking nightmare

The real bummer is player population fucks up animals spawning and your camp working properly. So you have 24+ players in the server, see them off and on if at all, but the rest of the world is kinda dead.

Then here comes some shirtless guy with a racist name/posse name who just blew you and your horse up with dynamite arrows or explosive bullets.

Yeehaw?

Gooch181
Jan 1, 2008

The Gooch
I've managed to stay completely blind on this; I can't wait.

Mandrel
Sep 24, 2006

im really excited for new people to get to play it. it’s such a masterpiece

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

So many questions. Just launch into online, set yourself defensive, and experience