Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

my parents boyfriend
Jan 28, 2007

Angel of Piratey Death, Yarrr!
Junji Ito panel. Pretty mild one, granted.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
That flower viewing 4 panel bit seemed like it was lifted directly from Grand Blue.

symphoniccacophony
Mar 20, 2009

my parents boyfriend posted:

Kazuo Umezu panel. Pretty mild one, granted.

Corrected for you

where the red fern gropes
Aug 24, 2011

tweet my meat posted:

That flower viewing 4 panel bit seemed like it was lifted directly from Grand Blue.

Too many clothes, not enough censor bubbles

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

RareAcumen posted:

I'm so glad they haven't stopped reinforcing Nikaido Ren's terrible sense of fashion.

The Ren stuff is legit some of my favorite bits from these side comics.

Old man has just given up.

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

bruh...

https://mangadex.org/chapter/733726/1

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

Ahhh there we go. Akoya reminding us of what the high ends of the kengan matches are like.

And he just no sells that finishing move like it doesn't exist

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

JUSTICE

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

AtomikKrab posted:

Ahhh there we go. Akoya reminding us of what the high ends of the kengan matches are like.

And he just no sells that finishing move like it doesn't exist

Gaoh really should learn that he can't coast off a move that has a 25 percent success rate.

EDIT: Also god drat this image is sweet.

ZepiaEltnamOberon fucked around with this message at 14:47 on Oct 24, 2019

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Also, I know this is off topic, but sometimes the text is in all capitals and sometimes it's not; is that just a matter of the font used or do they have some rhyme or reason to them?

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

ZepiaEltnamOberon posted:

Gaoh really should learn that he can't coast off a move that has a 25 percent success rate.

EDIT: Also god drat this image is sweet.

It's me, I'm the guy who unironically likes Akoya. Hoping he thrashes Ryuki something fierce.

Mary Annette
Jun 24, 2005

God dammit, Hiyama, DTMMF already. :smith:

(the extra M is for Murderous)

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
Part 2 of the anime is up, for better or worse.

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
What the gently caress, they skipped Muteba vs Meguro

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

tweet my meat posted:

What the gently caress, they skipped Muteba vs Meguro

That was in part one.

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
Man I don't remember it in the slightest.

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
https://mangadex.org/chapter/738142/1

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

GoldenPrice
Oct 2, 2013
I immediately thought about posting an image like that too.

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
Part 2 of the anime was pretty good. The show is at its worst when it isn't focusing on a fight and there's basically no downtime between fights now, generally it's one fight per episode and it takes up the full length with a couple two parters (cosmo v akoya and ohma v raian, both fantastic) and a few quick jobs (mockey, chiba, and rihito). The fight animation is still quite smooth and they still do a great job of capturing the choreography. They cut a lot of stuff, but the matches are very faithful to the manga. They trim a bit of the flashback stuff out, but they keep the important bits, so the pacing of the fights is actually pretty brisk which I liked.

They clearly didn't have the resources to give it a proper adaptation, but whatever resources they did have mostly went into the fights, so it's a pretty enjoyable watch now that we're fully into the tournament arc and we're past the first handful of fights which were some of the weaker ones. It still looks cheap as poo poo when people are just standing around talking, but those moments are a lot less frequent.

tweet my meat fucked around with this message at 23:17 on Oct 31, 2019

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011
I like that Koga took one distant glance at Akoya and immediately knew that was a cop.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

"This killing intent... It can only be...!"

my parents boyfriend
Jan 28, 2007

Angel of Piratey Death, Yarrr!
I'm pretty sure we're supposed to think he recognized the taiho jutsu immediately. Probably not too many people would, though.

Suspicious Lump
Mar 11, 2004
obvious theory time: Gaoh style never died out. Either Gaoh Mukaku realised the Niko style was junk or he continued pursuing Gaoh Style alongside the Niko style for whatever reason. Ryuki actually uses a Gaoh-Nikko hybrid that's why grandpa said to never showcase anything but the basic movement everyone knows.

He's the embodiment of all Niko styles including the Gaoh style. It goes back to that weird centipede ritual we saw right at the start.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Suspicious Lump posted:

obvious theory time: Gaoh style never died out. Either Gaoh Mukaku realised the Niko style was junk or he continued pursuing Gaoh Style alongside the Niko style for whatever reason. Ryuki actually uses a Gaoh-Nikko hybrid that's why grandpa said to never showcase anything but the basic movement everyone knows.

He's the embodiment of all Niko styles including the Gaoh style. It goes back to that weird centipede ritual we saw right at the start.

Just going on what we know, the Gaoh style is based around surprise attacks initiated from a stance. Outside the muscle armor the two moves we see follow this idea. This is good in 1v1 situations but when Gaoh was trying to reform the inside it's undoubtable that the style lost a lot of it's usage because it quickly becomes predictable to expect. Not that it's useless because not everyone is capable of even reacting to stuff even if they know what to expect, but looking at Gaoh's physique and the one flashback we saw of him the guy was a massive person so maybe his own use of the style diminished over the years.

Niko style is more "freeform" and has a lot more "answers" to things that make it a much better style for fighting multiple opponents and making a weak person stronger than someone else. Right now I don't have a reason to say that Niko Style is anything but superior to Gaoh style but maybe the massacre of his students caused Gaoh to rethink things from the beginning. There is still the possibility that Ryuki wasn't trained by Mukaku either.

TastyLemonDrops
Aug 6, 2008

you said "drop kick" fyi
The second season on Netflix is up.

Suspicious Lump
Mar 11, 2004

Brought To You By posted:

Just going on what we know, the Gaoh style is based around surprise attacks initiated from a stance. Outside the muscle armor the two moves we see follow this idea. This is good in 1v1 situations but when Gaoh was trying to reform the inside it's undoubtable that the style lost a lot of it's usage because it quickly becomes predictable to expect. Not that it's useless because not everyone is capable of even reacting to stuff even if they know what to expect, but looking at Gaoh's physique and the one flashback we saw of him the guy was a massive person so maybe his own use of the style diminished over the years.

Niko style is more "freeform" and has a lot more "answers" to things that make it a much better style for fighting multiple opponents and making a weak person stronger than someone else. Right now I don't have a reason to say that Niko Style is anything but superior to Gaoh style but maybe the massacre of his students caused Gaoh to rethink things from the beginning. There is still the possibility that Ryuki wasn't trained by Mukaku either.

Good points! I think you're right about Ryuki not being trained by Mukaku (aka grandpa Goah). Probably keeps the mystery going regarding Mukaku and the legend of Niko.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
some funky faces in this chapter

https://mangadex.org/chapter/742911/1

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.
:stare:

Oh god no, not another Setsuna's style murderboner face.

where the red fern gropes
Aug 24, 2011

that's a face holy poo poo

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Holy moly that's some sticky loving blood

edit: This is the worst possible development short of Meguro somehow having survived

RareAcumen fucked around with this message at 15:10 on Nov 7, 2019

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
loving hell that face legitimately startled me a bit

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Thoses faces.

Those goddamn faces.

At least Koga and Ryuki are going to make up now.

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011

where the red fern gropes posted:

But when he smiles...

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

I guess when they said Akoya was closer to death, it was in relations to him being fully aware he could have died but not caring because of his test. Not something he hasn't done since he did give that one med student he killed a loaded pistol. But it was less reckless since he probably knew he could take the kid. With Ryuki, he was completely aware his opponent had an option to kill him and he pressed on with his own attack regardless.

edit: Also the guy Akoya put into a coma is 100% The immeasurable Gozu Murobuchi. Same slacks, same wife beater, you can even see his mustache and beard. Dude was also said to be recovering from injuries. Akoya gave him the old Riot Shield as well.

Brought To You By fucked around with this message at 15:07 on Nov 7, 2019

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

thats hosed up

thats a hosed up face right there

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos

Brought To You By posted:

edit: Also the guy Akoya put into a coma is 100% The immeasurable Gozu Murobuchi. Same slacks, same wife beater, you can even see his mustache and beard. Dude was also said to be recovering from injuries. Akoya gave him the old Riot Shield as well.

I noticed that as well. The Murobuchi Gozo deserves better than jobbing offscreen :smith:

Bushmeister
Nov 27, 2007
Son Of Northern Frostbitten Wintermoon

the only thing Immeasurable is my sadness :smith:

JosephWongKS
Apr 4, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

They let the Attack on Titan artist be a guest artist for this chapter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
Oh man I don’t think I could happier about this development.