Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)

Uptime Sinclair posted:

cool. glad i went out on a limb seriousposting itt

cool maybe try funnyposting next!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.

President Beep posted:

cool maybe try funnyposting next!
cool snipe dad

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Cold on a Cob posted:

how long you gonna live?

my old man died at 65 so im already well into middle age

pretty sure my diabetic body won’t even last that long, I’ve been diabetic since 21 so heart attack in 40s is likely, especially since I live pretty self destructively most of the time.

people around me don’t really like hearing it but there’s no use also fantasising about a world where I am a helpful grandparent or long lasting companion. this way I can use the little life I have left to pass on my wisdom asap

my diabetic father who is like 72 and has broken eyes and feet and heart keeps saying “one day i’ll tell you and your brother these cool stories from when I was an undercover cop in the 70s”. like why are you waiting dad? tell the cool undercover drug cop in the 70s stories now

Roosevelt
Jul 18, 2009

I'm looking for the man who shot my paw.

echinopsis posted:

pretty sure my diabetic body won’t even last that long, I’ve been diabetic since 21 so heart attack in 40s is likely, especially since I live pretty self destructively most of the time.

people around me don’t really like hearing it but there’s no use also fantasising about a world where I am a helpful grandparent or long lasting companion. this way I can use the little life I have left to pass on my wisdom asap

my diabetic father who is like 72 and has broken eyes and feet and heart keeps saying “one day i’ll tell you and your brother these cool stories from when I was an undercover cop in the 70s”. like why are you waiting dad? tell the cool undercover drug cop in the 70s stories now

my grandfather did "cleanup" duty in germany towards the end of the war in 45, and i never got to hear a story. i assume he was picking up debris and sweeping floors.

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

syntaxrigger posted:

What age range is middle aged? I have heard more than one opinion on this.

a comedian summed it up real nice

if you take your current age, and double it, and someone that age dies, would it be described as a "tragedy?"

if the answer is "no," you have entered middle age

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene
logically middle age should be the middle period of your life. not very many people make it to 90.

also gotta lol @ "mid-life crisis." by the time you have a "mid-life crisis" you are cruising towards the end and just unable to admit it. even the name is delusional

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome
i never had a mid-life crisis because i did all that poo poo in my 20s like you're supposed to

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

rotor posted:

i never had a mid-life crisis because i did all that poo poo in my 20s like you're supposed to

you bought a sports car in your 20s?

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

*extremely nbsd voice* everyone dies

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

fart simpson posted:

you bought a sports car in your 20s?

oh you dont even fuckin know, man

spoiler: he did

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

i didn’t even know they made sports cars back then

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Now I'm going to sing the Perry Mason theme

I started playing Dark Souls this year. Maybe that’s my very mild midlife chrisis.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Uptime Sinclair posted:

right there in the name

founded by ransom e. olds, as the crossword puzzles are repeately reminding me

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)

fart simpson posted:

yeah. stanley steamers could do like 100 MPH

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.

prefect posted:

you could never get anything for ransoming off today’s olds. american healthcare policy to date proves this

syntaxrigger
Jul 7, 2011

Actually you owe me 6! But who's countin?

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

a comedian summed it up real nice

if you take your current age, and double it, and someone that age dies, would it be described as a "tragedy?"

if the answer is "no," you have entered middle age

28 is mid-life? I don't think so

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

Uptime Sinclair posted:

you could never get anything for ransoming off today’s olds. american healthcare policy to date proves this

you just make them add you to their reverse mortgage or else they get their HHR keyed

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

qirex posted:

it's a state of mind

have you purchased anything and thought, "this will last until I die"?

a condom

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

syntaxrigger posted:

28 is mid-life? I don't think so

i am pretty sure most people would describe a 46 year old man's death as tragically early

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

President Beep posted:

yeah. stanley steamers could do like 100 MPH

steam cars were the luxury option of their day

if i understand it correctly the hp rating for steam cars was a misleading measure of the continuous power output. so that 2 hp single cylinder steam engine could put out a hell of a lot more power in a short burst, after you've built up a head of steam.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

i am pretty sure most people would describe a 46 year old man's death as tragically early
You might want to check that math.

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

what do you base this on

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Uptime Sinclair posted:

what do you base this on

oh, just a gut feeling.

seems tragically early to me, at least

46 ain't exactly the prime of life or anything but it seems like a couple decades too soon!

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

oh, just a gut feeling.

46 ain't exactly the prime of life or anything but it seems like a couple decades too soon!

please don't suggest this is going to last me a couple more decades

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

depends on the man, really.

mystes
May 31, 2006

28 * 2 isn't 46.

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

mystes posted:

28 * 2 isn't 46.

what if it was though, how weird would that be?

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

poo poo, man. rotor has a point.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

fart simpson posted:

I won’t lie this was pretty brutal

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
at my job i know the 7 times table* pretty well. i don’t think most other people could make such a bold claim

*up to about 8 x 7 after that it gets a bit fuzzy

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

oh, just a gut feeling.

i am tired and old, i thought you said it wouldn’t be tragic somehow, good thing i asked a followup instead of getting all lovely

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

Uptime Sinclair posted:

i am tired and old, i thought you said it wouldn’t be tragic somehow, good thing i asked a followup instead of getting all lovely

no butt stuff

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

akadajet posted:

can you get surgery to fix it?

I think he'd probably do better going to a properly accredited mechanic for his make/model of minivan, though?

:shrug:

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

President Beep posted:

poo poo, man. rotor has a point.

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

:supaburn:

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
j/k rotor, youre actually one of the best people i know

syntaxrigger
Jul 7, 2011

Actually you owe me 6! But who's countin?

rotor posted:

what if it was though, how weird would that be?

legit laughed out loud

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

FMguru posted:

j/k rotor, youre actually one of the best people i know

syntaxrigger posted:

legit laughed out loud

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

aw shucks guys :blush:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

prefect posted:

oldsmobile's final and perhaps greatest contribution to culture was the "alero" which will appear in crosswords for decades to come