Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

Higgledy-Piggledy Whale Statements

Rotten Red Rod posted:

Isn't this, like, a Looney Tunes gag, like last time? Where's the joke for the last 2 pages? It's just, "oh it really is dangerous, and now he's scared". At least the blood-fang place had the whole being oblivious of the monster gag, as bad as it was. This just has nothing.

It's kind of worse than nothing, because of the whiplash and failure to connect. Why is this horrible monster surrounded by signs supposed to terrify us, while the previous monster was a series of poorly-rendered physical gags? The lack of consistency makes this baffling rather than genuine, combined with the fact that this could as easily have been the plot beat in the blood horror sequence and that would have spared us some agonizingly uninteresting sight gags.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beelzebufo
Mar 5, 2015

Frog puns are toadally awesome

Joe Slowboat posted:

It's kind of worse than nothing, because of the whiplash and failure to connect. Why is this horrible monster surrounded by signs supposed to terrify us, while the previous monster was a series of poorly-rendered physical gags? The lack of consistency makes this baffling rather than genuine, combined with the fact that this could as easily have been the plot beat in the blood horror sequence and that would have spared us some agonizingly uninteresting sight gags.

Yeah, look at Snout's face. That's genuine terror. This is like having Wile E. Coyote look horrified after the roadrunner tricks him off a cliff. Even without planning, you think Mookie would be able to read the tone of the last few comics and make things cohere a little bit

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Beware of this dangerous deadly tree that you can easily escape from if you spread your arms and can move faster than a snail.

Beelzebufo
Mar 5, 2015

Also his tail is gross in the last panel.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

I'm not an expert on prehensile tails by any means, but I'd figure a curled-into-a-ball constriction would have the tail down entirely or curled up like the rest of him, rather than a freaky erection like it currently is.

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
Grind straight for the stars!

I'm just relieved we're spared 2 weeks of him trying to Mr.Magoo some berries from a monster.

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

TheHan posted:

I'm just relieved we're spared 2 weeks of him trying to Mr.Magoo some berries from a monster.

It ain't over until it's over.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

I genuinely can't unsee him just pissing there and then in the last panel.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

pull up your loving pants, dogman

Beelzebufo
Mar 5, 2015

TheHan posted:

I love that these random flora are just off panel all the time. They just exist for long enough to have the pointless scene occur, and poof off into the void of non-existence again.

I know authors can get stuck in too much world-building at the expense of stories, but Mookie would really benifit from sketching out a map of Snout's journey. Right now the wild edge is pretty loving boring considering it's made up of nothing but empty grasslands with singular bushes growing up out of it, a library and a doom canyon.

Emrikol
Oct 1, 2015
The Wild Edge is flat, empty nothing except for whatever locations and objects the plot demands, which are always conveniently located right where the characters happen to be.

Drunk Theory
Aug 20, 2016

Oven Wrangler

TheHan posted:

This wasn’t subverting any expectations Mookie. You’ve already established the dangerous stuff will be literally sign posted. Since you did not bother with that joke, obviously this plant was no threat at all.

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!

Welp, looks like Mookie's finally bored of this garbage D-Plot that somehow curdled its way up to the top of his comic's narrative.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

So what happened to needing the killer tree's sap?

Ohhh right. Tree sap fixed the easily guessed stains. This strengthens the spell.

rudecyrus
Nov 6, 2009

fuck you trolls
When you can't think of any good reason to get your character from A to B, just haul 'em along with a giant arrow.

Drunk Theory
Aug 20, 2016

Oven Wrangler
:geno: Ok.
That’s one way to advance the.....that’s one way to....honestly, I’m not sure what this was suppose to do, but boy howdy it’s doing it.

Drunk Theory fucked around with this message at 09:26 on Nov 1, 2019

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

Tesseraction posted:

So what happened to needing the killer tree's sap?

Ohhh right. Tree sap fixed the easily guessed stains. This strengthens the spell.

No, this is the berries, Snout was looking for two things. But I don't blame you for forgetting. I'm sure we'll either never see the tree again because the sap won't be necessary, or another, more powerful character, will effortlessly collect the sap from it.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

It's genuinely been so long since he exposition dumped about his ingredients that I forgot why they were needed.

I know it's unfair to compare but a competent artist/storyboarder would have done almost all of what's happened so far on 2-3 pages. One for the killer tree. One for the raniberries. It would even make for a great visual juxtaposition of the difficulty of the former and ease of the latter.

Also there has now been a whole different month between his promised return to workdaily comics in September and today.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

It's weird that Mookie is absolutely obsessed with the Ink Witch on his Twitter but she's barely appeared in the comic so far:

https://twitter.com/mookiebean/status/1187547650578681857

https://twitter.com/mookiebean/status/1188266799365791744

https://twitter.com/mookiebean/status/1188625914164326401

https://twitter.com/mookiebean/status/1189554794169622529

My guess, again, is because he doesn't want to put much effort into the comic and Snout is way easier to draw.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Okay so now we know that the magic paper has an ink golem in it. Or maybe that's Dr. Robotnik outside of the skinsuit.

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
Ink Golem would be the #1 answer for a reveal that would make even less sense than it being the ink witch.

“Surprise Snout, I’m not this spell you’ve never heard of...I’m THIS spell you’ve never heard of!”

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Well Ink Golems might never actually show up in the comic. Again, it's a thing Mookie is drawing a lot of because they're really easy to draw

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
That’s true, though considering his current fascination with “ink” and tendency to shove in current interests it feels really likely to be the case (The golem is also rising from a piece of paper in that piece and with today’s update the pagefinder can now create physical ink constructs). The superior answer is it being a Deegan.

Libra
Jan 5, 2011

The ink golem will communicate through literal physical speech bubbles!! Mark my words!!!!!

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
The Day 27 gag is cute. Not especially original, but cute.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

I have very, very little patience for Mookie's brand of "cute".

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Okay I found this funny, but not for the intended reason

Although at this point I really feel that Mookie hates this guy as much as I do.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

I should not speak before the actual resolution happens, but I guess at least he he's making Snout confront the bad thing rather than having a deus ex machina solve it instantly for him.

watch the next page being the spell using its new power to get the page effortlessly

skeleton warrior
Nov 12, 2016

I know we're all marking how Snout's face struggles to maintain a shape from panel to panel, but I'm completely fascinated by his hairline, which constantly shifts and meanders from "twenty-something starting to lose it" to "middle-aged man trying to prove he's still metal"

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

skeleton warrior posted:

I'm completely fascinated by his hairline, which constantly shifts and meanders from "twenty-something starting to lose it" to "middle-aged man trying to prove he's still metal"

When art reflects author.

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
For a minute there I thought the paper dragged Snout in a big circle and dropped him right where he started, but this is actually a different tree. Interested to see how Snout rationalizes risking his life yet again for people who have so far only lied to him and blew up his house.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

I really hope when he returns to the cave after a day's hard skori treeing it's been blown up again.

Beelzebufo
Mar 5, 2015

This is surely a story that had to be told. Inconsistently drawn rubbery dog person fights plants for library book. A decade in the making

Thank god Mookie decided to do this anyway after missing the stretch goal.

Beelzebufo fucked around with this message at 15:10 on Nov 5, 2019

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!

Ok, this one got a laugh outta me. I'm all for everyone dogging on our garbage protagonist.

Fish Noise
Jul 25, 2012

IT'S ME, BURROWS!

IT WAS ME ALL ALONG, BURROWS!
Chekhov's dong: gently caress the tree you coward

Drunk Theory
Aug 20, 2016

Oven Wrangler
You and me both, tree. You and me both.

Updates like that one are some of Mookie’s best jokes. But they only work because they are used so infrequently and unexpectedly. And the setup is unfortunately the rest of the comic.

Drunk Theory fucked around with this message at 08:46 on Nov 6, 2019

SupSuper
Apr 8, 2009

At the Heart of the city is an Alien horror, so vile and so powerful that not even death can claim it.
The Legacy of Dominic Deegan: Full of Hate

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

It is enjoyable watching the dogshit protagonist get owned but I'm still confused by why he attempted to contact a tree (noted eye havers) by using a visual medium from a long distance away.

Beelzebufo
Mar 5, 2015

So last time was he just going to bleed this sentient tree for its sap. Didn't even bother saying hello Larry time. Don't blame the tree, Snout is a dick

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Not sure this "hey new best buddy, mind if I DRIVE THIS KNIFE INTO YOUR FLESH" is the stellar tactic he imagines.