Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bows1
May 16, 2004

Chill, whale, chill
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PEhrfBjb82g

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒

Slandible posted:

Thread favorite Charly Bliss dropped an EP today. About time Heaven is put on an album, its criminal it was left off Young Enough.

E>> Supermoon is a fun one.

WHAAAAT

ty

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

Slandible posted:

Thread favorite Charly Bliss dropped an EP today. About time Heaven is put on an album, its criminal it was left off Young Enough.

E>> Supermoon is a fun one.

I ran the numbers and this EP kicks rear end

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
Big Thief was sick as hell. I’m glad I got a ticket and came out here. Cattails are worth it alone.

The merch line is a shitshow though

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Cemetry Gator posted:

Pitchfork did their favorite videos of the parlst 10 years, and I have to ask - what is with Pitchfork and Grimes' "Oblivion." Like, they love this song more than I can imagine reasonable. It's not a bad song, it's just not an amazing song. It's a standard synth song.

And the list doesn't include Blackstar by David Bowie, so I don't know what they were thinking.
Pitchfork has terrible taste and spend more of their time creating the PF brand than thinking about music. Same reason they love Arcade Fire so much.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

FactsAreUseless posted:

Pitchfork has terrible taste and spend more of their time creating the PF brand than thinking about music. Same reason they love Arcade Fire so much.

Yeah except they gave the last arcade fire album a 5.6 so you are wrong.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

The REAL Goobusters posted:

Oh, really? I finally gave up on them forever when they gave Reflektor a good review. I guess I'm as out of date as Pitchfork.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!

The REAL Goobusters posted:

That's way too high for Everything Now.

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

Nail Rat posted:

That's way too high for Everything Now.

For all the flack everyone gives Pitchfork for their negative reviews, they really only dip into scores below like 4.0 for the truly terrible poo poo. Like Greta Van Fleet getting a 1.6

Solomon Gumball
Jul 24, 2019
They're good about calling a 5.0 album being truly average as a baseline. I still hope to see Pitchfork go out in the next decade but they've got no competition, Stereogum ain't gonna cut it. Hopefully at least less influential.

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
Oh gently caress off, the last thing we need in this era is more publications going out of business - especially one that sponsors as much live music as Pitchfork.

I hope a bunch of people lose their jobs and recurring music festivals are canceled because this website doesn’t like radiohead enough!!

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Blast Fantasto posted:

For all the flack everyone gives Pitchfork for their negative reviews, they really only dip into scores below like 4.0 for the truly terrible poo poo. Like Greta Van Fleet getting a 1.6

Most people formed their opinion of Pitchfork in 2007 and only hear about it now if when they want something to be mad about.

T Bowl
Feb 6, 2006

Shut up DUMMY
From what I remember the main hate of Pitchfork is using decimal points instead of something like a star, 5, or 10 point system. It is a bit silly to do honestly.. 1-10 without decimals should be plenty of scale to rate albums.

The other main hate comes from overly wordy reviews that try to sound sophisticated and complex but come across as arrogant/pompous to many.

Honestly I couldn't tell you the last time I read a review of theirs, I usually glance at the news and see what they score an album and move on from that.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
I don’t read many reviews in general but I like most of their features and occasionally The Pitch.

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

emptyquote my posts or die
I like Pitchfork and read it every single day, but they let themselves get drawn into their own trends way too much. Every five years they pivot so hard to a new genre or style that it's funny to watch. Oblivion is a great track, but more importantly it was the exact kind of track Pitchfork was super into in 2012: pure aesthetics and tone, echoey, washed out, detached.

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

T Bowl posted:

The other main hate comes from overly wordy reviews that try to sound sophisticated and complex but come across as arrogant/pompous to many.

Reiterating the point above, they stopped writing reviews like this almost 15 years ago at this point.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
Their reviews are totally normal now, except when they find something they really hate.

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
I don't like pitchfork because they are totally ignoring Arthur Moon despite my THREE tweets at them to review the album. Shameful.

Slandible
Apr 30, 2008

My favorite promoter and recorder Audiotree is launching a booking agency for Michigan and Illinois today. I am pretty hyped as it is one of my biggest sources for finding new music.

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?

T Bowl posted:

From what I remember the main hate of Pitchfork is using decimal points instead of something like a star, 5, or 10 point system. It is a bit silly to do honestly.. 1-10 without decimals should be plenty of scale to rate albums.

Honestly I couldn't tell you the last time I read a review of theirs, I usually glance at the news and see what they score an album and move on from that.

There was one guy who wrote absolutely terrible reviews (Brent), and they were objectively bad. He was like the Tim Rodgers of music critics - wordy, too many gimmicks that went on past the point of being clever, and did highly unprofessional poo poo like give Zaireeka a 0.0 because he didn't want to listen to four CDs at once.

But he's gone, and their critics are good. Sometimes, the writing is a little cringe inducing, but that's only when they're trying to be cool.

The biggest difference is that they talk about rap more often too, but I don't care about that. It's absurd that some people want them to ignore Travis Scott or Kendrick Lamar. But just because you don't like or listen to rap doesn't mean that others don't either, and it's possible to interested in both indie rock and hip-hop. So I don't get upset like some people do that Pitchfork covers rap.

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

Playoffs are no big deal,
don't have a crap attack.
The only real complaint I have of Pitchfork is that their "Best New Music" label only gets applied to albums that rate 8.2 or higher. I just wish they applied it to any album over 8, just because I don't always click on the reviews.

Why do I care? I use Pitchfork as a source to listen to new music, so sometimes I discover an album some time later that was ranked, like, 8.1.

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

Wet
Pitchfork comes across as pandering and bandwagon hopping to me these days which is sad because they used to be trendsetters

deletebeepbeepbeep
Nov 12, 2008

Twin Cinema posted:

The only real complaint I have of Pitchfork is that their "Best New Music" label only gets applied to albums that rate 8.2 or higher. I just wish they applied it to any album over 8, just because I don't always click on the reviews.

Why do I care? I use Pitchfork as a source to listen to new music, so sometimes I discover an album some time later that was ranked, like, 8.1.

They have a section for 8.0+ reviews last time I looked.

bows1
May 16, 2004

Chill, whale, chill
Goddamn Orville Peck is amazing

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q3esGD6lcMM

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

deletebeepbeepbeep posted:

They have a section for 8.0+ reviews last time I looked.

drat, this must be new, because I don't remember seeing it.

Thanks for the help!

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
new cold war kids out today :filez:

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

edit: was not actually files just a vinyl code lol. I'm not going to bother reposting but if anyone wants it PM me.

The Walrus fucked around with this message at 22:07 on Nov 3, 2019

Slandible
Apr 30, 2008

I saw Retirement Party in a weird small art gallery shop tonight. They are always so much fun.

Solomon Gumball
Jul 24, 2019

Blast Fantasto posted:

Oh gently caress off, the last thing we need in this era is more publications going out of business - especially one that sponsors as much live music as Pitchfork.

I hope a bunch of people lose their jobs and recurring music festivals are canceled because this website doesn’t like radiohead enough!!

Ian Cohen secret account found

Thom and the Heads
Oct 27, 2010

Farscape is actually pretty cool.

Solomon Gumball posted:

Ian Cohen secret account found

dope. ian cohen has great taste!

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

The Walrus posted:

new cold war kids out today :filez:

first half of the album is not great and is painfully generic imo. the second half has some good songs.

Somebody fucked around with this message at 14:58 on Nov 3, 2019

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

Stereogum released their Top 100 of the decade: https://www.stereogum.com/featured/best-albums-of-the-2010s-list/

The top-10 features the usual heavy hitters (Yeezus over MBDTF?), so I look forward to a ton more lists listing, like, 2 or 3 Kendrick, a few Kanye, and Frank Ocean's.

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

:swoon: MURALI :swoon:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cK5k7srWRO0

Kull the Conqueror
Apr 8, 2006

Take me to the green valley,
lay the sod o'er me,
I'm a young cowboy,
I know I've done wrong
went to Big Thief last night and it was one of the best shows I have ever seen in my thirty-odd years of life. They are in total command of their craft and just brought the house down. Adrianne Lenker is one of the poets of our times.

thank you for your attention

Slandible
Apr 30, 2008

I recently discovered a local named The Doozers (new wave):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RSUs3wcpnas

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Kull the Conqueror posted:

went to Big Thief last night and it was one of the best shows I have ever seen in my thirty-odd years of life. They are in total command of their craft and just brought the house down. Adrianne Lenker is one of the poets of our times.

Good to know, I've heard their live shows described as 'workmanlike'

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

New Best Coast album announced! New Best Coast single out!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pofZ9G0k9Vw

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?

Kull the Conqueror posted:

I saw them a couple weeks back, and they did a fantastic job. Adrianne insisted that they turn the lights on so she could see the crowd. Everybody was on point.

I think they're still getting used to playing bigger venues.

Kull the Conqueror
Apr 8, 2006

Take me to the green valley,
lay the sod o'er me,
I'm a young cowboy,
I know I've done wrong

The Walrus posted:

Good to know, I've heard their live shows described as 'workmanlike'

it was an unprecedented level of intensity from them. "Not" has clearly been primed for a great jam live and my expectations were blown away even then. the whole show was just full of passion

Solomon Gumball
Jul 24, 2019

Rageaholic posted:

New Best Coast album announced! New Best Coast single out!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pofZ9G0k9Vw

I wonder who wavves had to evict to shoot this video

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Just saw Big Thief live. They are so wonderful

We cheered until they played an encore. "Zombie Girl," which is new and hasn't made it to an album yet. Two albums in 2019 and they still have more songs.

blue squares fucked around with this message at 06:00 on Nov 6, 2019