Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Royalty is a continuous shitposting motion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it

General Dog posted:

If Cum Town can sell advertising, it seems like Magary and Roth can.

I'm honestly shocked that anyone listens to a Cum Town ad read and goes "yeah, that's for me."

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

MourningView posted:

I think Petchesky was fine, but he also was a workhorse for them who was pumping out tons of shorter blogs every day. I don't think he was really aiming for something especially profound most of the time

Petchesky's gimmick was getting self-righteous and climbing on a high horse about basically anything in sight and quite frequently trying--and failing--to dunk on people he disliked. He sucked, but that being said it's never cool to see someone get fired.

InsensitiveSeaBass
Apr 1, 2008

You're entering a realm which is unusual. Maybe it's magic, or contains some kind of monster... The second one. Prepare to enter The Scary Door.
Nap Ghost
Shameful of The Old Grey Lady to not use the full title: "Thursday Afternoon NFL Dick Joke Jamboroo." Big Daddy Balls needs to demand a correction.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Timby posted:

Petchesky's gimmick was getting self-righteous and climbing on a high horse about basically anything in sight

jim is that you

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Royalty is a continuous shitposting motion.
I think it was on twitter, but someone pointed out that Petchesky owned himself for his entire run in the editorial staff by being the guy to post the morning blog by 9:00 a.m., which he started doing as a new writer way back in the aughts and then never realized he could offload onto someone else. Petchesky wasn't my favorite writer by a long shot at Deadspin, but he was above replacement level sportswriting. And he did a lot of editing work. The worst writer on the website in recent years has been Haisley, who combines horrible soccer takes with zero editing. It blows my mind that he was an editor. I still hope he lands on his feet.

Meanwhile, there've been a lot of excellent writers in latter day Deadspin. Diane Moskovitz was essential in the coverage of USA Gymnastics and Nasser. David Roth is just fantastic all around. Drew Magary has wildly matured from someone I really disliked and hate read to someone who I looked forward to reading and hearing from- I was shocked how worried I felt when his brain exploded last December. Laura Wagner is going to be a fantastic features writer for a long time for whichever media outlet jumps to hire her. Dom Consentino did yeoman's work on the NFL concussion settlement. And I could keep going.

I started reading Deadspin back in the Leitch days, and the journalism being put out right up until this past week has been as good or better than anything they'd done before. That's part of why I'm so angry about this- Deadspin wasn't a shell of its former self. Hell, it was better than the loving Dauliero era, and that's seen as some type of halcyon past. And it was murdered by chucklefucks who will never face any repercussions for their fuckups, or be held to account in any meaningful way.

Also, now there's one less place to find Ray Ratto's writing! Goddamnit.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

habeasdorkus posted:

I started reading Deadspin back in the Leitch days, and the journalism being put out right up until this past week has been as good or better than anything they'd done before. That's part of why I'm so angry about this- Deadspin wasn't a shell of its former self. Hell, it was better than the loving Dauliero era, and that's seen as some type of halcyon past. And it was murdered by chucklefucks who will never face any repercussions for their fuckups, or be held to account in any meaningful way.

Definitely agree with this, the last few years have been my favorite period of the site.

THE MACHO MAN
Nov 15, 2007

...Carey...

draw me like one of your French Canadian girls

habeasdorkus posted:

Also, now there's one less place to find Ray Ratto's writing! Goddamnit.

Well I guess I am not the only one who was confused why people like Ray Ratto's writing

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Thanks for posting the article on what happened at deadspjn

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
Lol, in the comments of Bernie's Deadspin tweet...

https://twitter.com/People4Bernie/status/1190070470374084608?s=20

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
https://twitter.com/krangtnelson/status/1190088197373661185?s=21

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

:kimchi: Tater Love :kimchi:
Stoolies are so pathetic. They really seem to think Dave Portnoy is their dad.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
No it's very normal build your entire life around trying to get noticed by some crybaby dipshit who looks and acts like every weird old guy hanging out at a college bar.

BWV
Feb 24, 2005

he's your friend's older brother who they thought was cool"when he could buy them beer or drive them around but now it's like "don't you have friends your own age" and "no, I don't want to go to the strip club on a sunday afternoon."

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

BWV posted:

he's your friend's older brother who they thought was cool"when he could buy them beer or drive them around but now it's like "don't you have friends your own age" and "no, I don't want to go to the strip club on a sunday afternoon."

This sums it up almost perfectly, yeah.

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

DAY CREW: WORKING HARD

Fun Shoe
https://deadspin.com/sports-blogs-ranked-1839529420

:vince: :captainpop: :wow: :bernpop:

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
That’s what I love about these Barstool readers, man- I get older, they stay the same age.

mactheknife
Jul 20, 2004

THE JOLLY CANDY-LIKE BUTTON

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

Burn on you beautiful bastards

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it

zakharov posted:

They loving hate it when you reply to their poo poo with "hope he sees this bro" because they know it highlights how pathetic they act

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs

zakharov posted:

Big Tom Leykis Energy

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
https://deadspin.com/was-deadspin-a-good-sports-blog-a-very-short-debate-1839529586

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
Did they just like schedule a bunch of posts and then leave, and there’s no one around to stop it? Because that’s extremely funny

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost
https://twitter.com/TheMooseNation/status/1189985126639382528

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

https://twitter.com/davidbix/status/1190265664612847616?s=21

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

For those that were confused like me: https://twitter.com/PodVanDam/status/1190274496382611457?s=20

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

https://twitter.com/megreenwell/status/1190281504234053632?s=21

https://twitter.com/megreenwell/status/1190281768009641985?s=21

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

habeasdorkus posted:

This is exactly how I feel about this — Deadspin may have been a bit on an edge at some points, but it’s been pretty essential and doing good journalism poo poo for the better part of a decade (and even when Daulerio was around they did things like “try to replicate Doc Ellis’ LSD no-no using MLB 2K”). And it’s being strangled by people who don’t comprehend what they’re doing, won’t suffer from it, and might even profit off of all of this. It’s disgusting.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Excellent job, management

Give yourself a bonus

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Seems like the death of Deadspin is a pretty huge blow to the entire Gizmodo enterprise. Maybe I'm wrong, but I imagine The Root, Jezebel, and Jalopnik got a lot of their traffic from cross-promotoin on Deadspin (at least here in the Kinja era). Seems like Deadspin and Kotaku are the pillars that hold the whole thing up.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Bix freelanced for Deadspin and wrote some of the pro wrestling articles

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

General Dog posted:

Seems like the death of Deadspin is a pretty huge blow to the entire Gizmodo enterprise. Maybe I'm wrong, but I imagine The Root, Jezebel, and Jalopnik got a lot of their traffic from cross-promotoin on Deadspin (at least here in the Kinja era). Seems like Deadspin and Kotaku are the pillars that hold the whole thing up.

Yeah. Those sites probably won't have the same problem because they were never as free-wheeling as Deadspin, which everyone (except the people who bought it) understood was only nominally a sports blog.

I guess Jezebel has the widest purview in terms of subject matter but it'd be funny to see Spanfeller say something like "stick to feminism".

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

My point is more are Jezebel and the Root going to have the same number of visitors with no Deadspin to boost their signal?

Gunjin
Apr 27, 2004

Om nom nom

So now Dan Snyder is going to be happy, that makes this whole thing just that much worse.

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

General Dog posted:

My point is more are Jezebel and the Root going to have the same number of visitors with no Deadspin to boost their signal?

Yeah it'd be interesting to see the numbers, I would imagine there'd be a drop off without the cross-posts or even people starting at Deadspin and making their way over (which I did all the time). Just made me think about how management will handle other sites.

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

i just have a sinking feeling they're gonna try to silence the onion

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

Vertical Lime posted:

i just have a sinking feeling they're gonna try to silence the onion

The "stick to sports" mandate was mostly an end-around by management to get Deadspin to stop publishing pieces about how lovely they are

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

General Dog posted:

I'm guessing it'll be a decent drop. I usually only went to those other sites when a post on Deadspin took me there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

AndrewP posted:

I guess Jezebel has the widest purview in terms of subject matter but it'd be funny to see Spanfeller say something like "stick to feminism".

he tried to change their motto from "A Supposedly Feminist Website" to "We Empower Women"