Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

some ladders apparently lead to nowhere and are situated atop death pits so griefing is on the table

Do ladders have musical accompaniments

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fun Times!
Dec 26, 2010

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

some ladders apparently lead to nowhere and are situated atop death pits so griefing is on the table

Are you not able to go back down the ladders??

Stormgale
Feb 27, 2010

https://kotaku.com/death-stranding-the-kotaku-review-1839474313

quote:

Every inch of Death Stranding teems with meaning or implication. Even the stupidest and most pretentious developments build to create a multi-layered game, one with numerous potential points of attack to analyze. It is a story about fatherhood. It is a broad dig at the gig economy. It is deeply concerned with upcoming environmental disaster and American politics, old and new.

Death Stranding is also about throwing grenades made from your own piss and poo poo at ghosts. It is about hiking alone in the wilderness for hours. It is a tireless grind. It is a commentary on social media and the internet, delivered through the asynchronous interactions players can have with one another as they play. It is breathtaking in scope, consistently intelligent in design, and beautiful to behold. It is a heaping pile of pretentious nonsense. It is a game in which characters drop overwrought interpretations of Kōbō Abe quotes. Its most recurring visual motif is a not-so-subtle gesture towards Thomas Pynchon’s Gravity’s Rainbow. It progresses not with the quiet stroke of a pen but with the pounding crash of a hammer. “I brought you a metaphor,” one of the characters says late in the game. It is stupid, and obvious, and perfect.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
once a jolly swagman camped by a billabong
under the shade of a coolibah tree
he sang as he watched and waited til his billy boiled
"you'll come a-waltzing matilda with me"

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Do ladders have musical accompaniments

Some have the Goofy yell on repeat.

Almost Smart
Sep 14, 2001

so your telling me you wasn't drunk or fucked up in anyway. when you had sex with me and that monkey
Even the positive reviews make this sound like a game I'm going to get zero enjoyment out of, but I'm still considering keeping my pre-order anyway. loving FOMO.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

I feel like this is going to be like The Last of Us in the sense that it's a game that's intentionally not fun to play. Something where you scrape and toil for every small victory. I think there's a place for those types of experiences in this medium, so I'm looking forward to it. I'm also a huge fan of weird art stuff like David Lynch's works, so if I have to climb up a hill for 30 hours to get to the next cutscene, then I'm fine with that.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

JazzFlight posted:

I feel like this is going to be like The Last of Us in the sense that it's a game that's intentionally not fun to play. Something where you scrape and toil for every small victory. I think there's a place for those types of experiences in this medium, so I'm looking forward to it. I'm also a huge fan of weird art stuff like David Lynch's works, so if I have to climb up a hill for 30 hours to get to the next cutscene, then I'm fine with that.

IDK, elements of the gameified fed ex delivery looked fun. But it's probably one of those games you need to be in the right mindset before tackling.

haunted bong
Jun 24, 2007

it looks like a stupid game for crazy people, so i want it.

Gibbering
May 24, 2014

:catdrugs:

haunted bong posted:

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

haunted bong posted:

Same. Thread title.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

haunted bong posted:

Same, unsurprising it's fairly polarizing, the even split between 'I loved the gameplay but the story can suck my dick' and 'the story was fascinating but if you assholes make me balance my load before I jog across the country Forrest Gump style one more time I'll burn your studio down' seems about what I expected.

Also the Giant Bomb and Kotaku reviews are the best just because neither of them take their work too seriously.

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

You wanna get through this?
One of my absolute favorite segments in a game is the last part of Shenmue II, so all of this walking around stuff seems right up my alley.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

PunkBoy posted:

One of my absolute favorite segments in a game is the last part of Shenmue II, so all of this walking around stuff seems right up my alley.

Tim's 'what if Breath of the Wild was boring on purpose, what if Assassin's Creed hated you, what if someone made a game out of Jon Bois' 17776' made me go 'oh gently caress yea' so it's nice to know I'm exactly the brokebrain target demo for this

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

This displeases Dev- ..van. Shut up.

Oof, the bit about trying to keep your balance while moving over uneven terrain sounds both aggravating and central to the core gameplay loop. The Dark Souls of getting really lost and walking home drunk.

Probably gonna be a $29 purchase. One of those ones where I spend a year listening to gamers complain about it online before I buy it on sale, then feel holier than thou for not being pissed off.

nessin
Feb 7, 2010
Just from watching Brad and Jeff try and talk about this game it's obvious the game is going to be terrible that people either try to convince themselves it's good or are legitimately taken in by the "freshman" (Jeff's descriptor) as somehow enlightening or unique.

Edit:
Or, alternatively, it's going to be "The Room", the videogame.

nessin fucked around with this message at 14:42 on Nov 1, 2019

ZeeBoi
Jan 17, 2001

Oh it’s one of those games

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

The Tim Rogers video review is exactly as full of fantastic quotes as expected.

Discussing the gameplay: "What if Breath of the Wild was boring--on purpose? What if Assassin's Creed hated you?"

I'm still pretty excited for this just because it seems so unique and weird and I respect that the game seems to be intentionally causing negative feelings. And, I mean, once Kojima started showing off gameplay, he made no secret that he didn't design the game to be fun, at least not for a good while.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

I realized it feels kinda like the Twin Peaks Season 3 of video games.
Moody, not giving fans what they really want, almost trolling the audience at times, but you can't look away because it's a fascinating fever dream.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

From a gameplay side of things, Tim Rogers's take is, the game isn't fun. It is Fetch Quest: The Game. You will spend the first dozen hours or so falling on hills and failing constantly because the movement systems are so obtuse. And he loves it.

This is going to be one of those games where the people who love it are going to love it for exactly the reasons other people hate it.

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

Reading this thread is like being dissolved in a barrel of acid

Fun Times!
Dec 26, 2010
No Silent Hills so you get a game about silent hills

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Fun Times! posted:

No Silent Hills so you get a game about silent hills

:hmmyes:

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Farewell, good Hunter. May you find your worth in the waking world.

“So generation after generation of men in love with pain and passivity serve out their time in the Zone, silent, redolent of faded sperm, terrified of dying, desperately addicted to the comforts others sell them, however useless, ugly or shallow, willing to have life defined for them by men whose only talent is for death.”

haunted bong
Jun 24, 2007

it seriously is a game devised by a lunatic who was previously held back by a corporate team that had to frequently say "Hey, rear end in a top hat, stop loving around down there".

the only thing i could think of that would turn me off of "FedEx Hell Walker's Misadventures in Babysitting: A Hideo Kojima Joint: The Game" is if the controls are super fucky and broken.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I'd honestly be fascinated to hear from someone who picked this game up without having followed all the trailers and gameplay reveals up to now. If you've been following the pre-release stuff, at least going by the reviews, you know exactly what to expect: extremely idiosyncratic gameplay that isn't strictly "fun" and extremely long, MGS4-sized cutscenes (Tim Rogers says some of them are up to an hour long).

But, uh, most people don't follow pre-release things that closely, so I'm sure their reactions will be... interesting. And even for those of us who have followed it, hearing about the game and thinking "I'd still like that" and actually playing the game are different things entirely.

On the story side, the Easy Allies review's complaint about the writing makes it sound like Kojima hasn't changed one bit since he wrote MGS4. Death Stranding has the same "repetitively talk about the same topics and themes until the characters start spilling their tragic backstories in long monologues" style. Kojima gonna Kojima.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

The Easy Allies review is the only one i've watched, and it at least confirms what I suspected about the combat segments, that they are not fun or interesting.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

haunted bong posted:

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Harrow posted:

I'd honestly be fascinated to hear from someone who picked this game up without having followed all the trailers and gameplay reveals up to now. If you've been following the pre-release stuff, at least going by the reviews, you know exactly what to expect: extremely idiosyncratic gameplay that isn't strictly "fun" and extremely long, MGS4-sized cutscenes (Tim Rogers says some of them are up to an hour long).

But, uh, most people don't follow pre-release things that closely, so I'm sure their reactions will be... interesting. And even for those of us who have followed it, hearing about the game and thinking "I'd still like that" and actually playing the game are different things entirely.

I haven't watched any trailers and I want the game. Mostly because I like long, boring arthouse cinema

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

blue squares posted:

I haven't watched any trailers and I want the game. Mostly because I like long, boring arthouse cinema

Yeah, I'm pretty much in just to see what it feels like to play the video game version of that.

Drunken Baker
Feb 3, 2015

VODKA STYLE DRINK
Never go full Kojima.

Also,

haunted bong posted:

Zikan
Feb 29, 2004

haunted bong posted:

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

haunted bong posted:

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

As you'd expect, the game's divided reviews have people on Reddit discussing the necessary subjectivity of reviews and respectfully discussing the review as a form of writing.

I'm just kidding, they're arguing viciously about whether game reviews should be allowed to exist because if they're so divided then clearly no reviewer knows anything.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
This game sounds so loving cool actually Lmao. The reviews are just the cherry on top. Love seeing the divisive reaction. Can’t wait to play this for my self

Rad Valtar
May 31, 2011

Someday coach Im going to throw for 6 TDs in the Super Bowl.

Sit your ass down Steve.
I’m very torn about this game because I loving love Kojima and all of his crazy bullshit but the gameplay sounds so boring to me. I don’t think I can risk $60 and will probably wait for a sale.

Who am I kidding at some point I will cave and have to explain to my wife why I spent $60 to run across America.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Rad Valtar posted:

I’m very torn about this game because I loving love Kojima and all of his crazy bullshit but the gameplay sounds so boring to me. I don’t think I can risk $60 and will probably wait for a sale.

Who am I kidding at some point I will cave and have to explain to my wife why I spent $60 to run across America.

Fool. You are walking

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

What a thrill!!!

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

The tracks go off in this direction.
The reviews are just confirming what I expected. Lots of walking in the game. People that already didn't like Kojima don't like it. People that like Kojima will endure the 20 hours it takes for the game to get going and be happy with it.

I'll wait for the PC version since it's not that far off. Buying at launch isn't a $60 investment for me. It's a $300-350 investment since I'd have to buy a PS4.

Any word on how this game performs on a base model PS4? How are load times?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

am0kgonzo
Jun 18, 2010

JazzFlight posted:

Last of Us is fun though.

Shooting a guy with your last bullet, then hitting his friend with a brick and beating him to death with a 2x4 feels good as hell.