Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

The tracks go off in this direction.

Rotten Red Rod posted:

Not sure if this was posted already, but because review embargo stipulations are loving weird, Edge magazine won't have a review score of the game because even though the reviewer played it for 40 hours, he hated it too much to officially finish it.

lol jfc all the DO YOUR JOB comments. His job is to review games, not every game. Scores are also not a requirement. He just told his audience he didn't like the game. Draw some conclusions.

Look Sir Droids fucked around with this message at 21:22 on Nov 1, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
WHERE THE FUCK IS MY MONEY
From what I've read of the 'gameplay' loop, I doubt I'd be able to finish it either.

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.
gameplay loop is the worst new gaming word to spring up this year.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Look Sir Droids posted:

lol jfc all the DO YOUR JOB comments. His job is to review games, not every game. Scores are also not a requirement. He just told his audience he didn't like the game. Draw some conclusions.

And he's still writing a 4-page preview based on his experiences. It just won't have a score or officially be called a review because he can't do that without finishing it. He's being pretty honest here and, yes, doing his job.

Thom12255 posted:

From what I've read of the 'gameplay' loop, I doubt I'd be able to finish it either.

Not that's any judgement on this game (obviously), but I'd probably have liked MGSV more than I did if I never officially "finished" the game.

DoctorGonzo
Jul 25, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Look Sir Droids posted:

even better in the twitter thread the guy straight up said he didnt like the game enough to keep playing it. thats it, thats his review

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

DoctorGonzo posted:

even better in the twitter thread the guy straight up said he didnt like the game enough to keep playing it. thats it, thats his review

Dude is going to get blacklisted now, as one of the requirements was that reviews can only go out once the game is finished.

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

This displeases Dev- ..van. Shut up.

Vikar Jerome posted:

gameplay loop is the worst new gaming word to spring up this year.

I see someone doesn’t have platinum gamer status and so doesn’t have access to the Gamer Word 2.0 beta.

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.

mysterious frankie posted:

I see someone doesn’t have platinum gamer status and so doesn’t have access to the Gamer Word 2.0 beta.

i cancelled my sub way back when people started going on about "pots" in rpgs.

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

Nobody should want to be above entry level "gamer" status.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
The game is going to be fuckloads easier playing with a million people interacting rather than just journalists.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

JBP posted:

The game is going to be fuckloads easier playing with a million people interacting rather than just journalists.

There are some reviews that say the bossfights are already utterly trivialized by the social strand benefits.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

JBP posted:

There are probably going to be population limits on each server so I think it’s going to be similar

Gibbering
May 24, 2014

:catdrugs:

Rotten Red Rod posted:

There are some reviews that say the bossfights are already utterly trivialized by the social strand benefits.

That’s fine by me. I’m definitely not in this for combat.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Steve Yun posted:

There are probably going to be population limits on each server so I think it’s going to be similar

I'm sure there will be, but not many people were playing it at once and some would have been mauling through it day and night. If you play it at a pace where everyone else is playing I bet it will be easier to play and there will be much more infrastructure to take advantage of.

E: I obviously plan to be the moron doing twenty hours a day getting all the likes for my ladder

Day Man
Jul 30, 2007

Champion of the Sun!

Master of karate and friendship...
for everyone!

Yeah, the boss fights being trivialized sounds like a good thing to me. It would be pretty jarring to go from a "walk this box over there" style exploration game to a Dark Souls style difficult combat boss fight.

DoctorGonzo
Jul 25, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

JBP posted:

yeah just like the nuclear dissarment was integral to the mgsv unifinished experience

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

DoctorGonzo posted:

yeah just like the nuclear dissarment was integral to the mgsv unifinished experience

Yeah that didn't really come into the game proper so I will assume you're just being a clown for some reason

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Day Man posted:

Yeah, the boss fights being trivialized sounds like a good thing to me. It would be pretty jarring to go from a "walk this box over there" style exploration game to a Dark Souls style difficult combat boss fight.

At some point it becomes a question of why they're even in the game, then. I asked that question every time I came across the occasional "boss fights" (the skulls and sahelanthropus) in MGSV that pretty much throw all the mechanics and weapon/items you've gotten good with out the window and suddenly make you play a different (much worse) game.

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

Rotten Red Rod posted:

At some point it becomes a question of why they're even in the game, then. I asked that question every time I came across the occasional "boss fights" (the skulls and metal gear) in MGSV that pretty much throw all the mechanics and weapon/items you've gotten good with out the window and suddenly make you play a different (much worse) game.

The Skulls fights were cool tho

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

The more I think about the mechanics that sound bad, the more I feel like I have to spend sixty dollars to experience how bad they are immediately, then find myself falling in love with them and then defend them with too many dumb words online.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Hey, you do you, but I was under the impression most people, like me, hated them and considered the skull fights some of the lowest points of the game.

At least sometimes you CAN sneak by them (and sahelanthropus the first time you face it).

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

Rotten Red Rod posted:

At some point it becomes a question of why they're even in the game, then. I asked that question every time I came across the occasional "boss fights" (the skulls and sahelanthropus) in MGSV that pretty much throw all the mechanics and weapon/items you've gotten good with out the window and suddenly make you play a different (much worse) game.

Are you saying boss fights are only appropriate if they're hard?

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum

I was really annoyed at the Skulls fight in Africa where there are 2 tanks and you're supposed to destroy/disable (?) them and the skulls appear as soon as something goes wrong with one of the tanks. I died the first time so I laid down a bunch of tank mines then some C4 behind it to blow up the second tank when the mines killed the first tank. I also laid some antipersonnel mines to gently caress with the skulls, and hid. The tanks blew up as planned, I triggered the C4 when the tank mines went off. The skulls, if I remember correctly, knew exactly where I was even though I was in hiding, and walked towards me (I was going to stealth around them or something) and avoided all the mines. It sucks that they always know where you are. That was obvious in the first encounter with them too, in Afghanistan at the bridge where you get the horse after you pass them successfully.

Day Man
Jul 30, 2007

Champion of the Sun!

Master of karate and friendship...
for everyone!

Rotten Red Rod posted:

For the spectacle? Multiple reviews have praised the impressive bosses you go against. If they are made easy, it seems to eliminate the problem you just complained about?

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

redreader posted:

I was really annoyed at the Skulls fight in Africa where there are 2 tanks and you're supposed to destroy/disable (?) them and the skulls appear as soon as something goes wrong with one of the tanks. I died the first time so I laid down a bunch of tank mines then some C4 behind it to blow up the second tank when the mines killed the first tank. I also laid some antipersonnel mines to gently caress with the skulls, and hid. The tanks blew up as planned, I triggered the C4 when the tank mines went off. The skulls, if I remember correctly, knew exactly where I was even though I was in hiding, and walked towards me (I was going to stealth around them or something) and avoided all the mines. It sucks that they always know where you are. That was obvious in the first encounter with them too, in Afghanistan at the bridge where you get the horse after you pass them successfully.

Man, I don't remember this mission at all. I thought Skulls just appeared in the first Afghan mission, the Honeybee mission, the mission in Africa where you steal a truck, the Mansion mission with the Snipers, and then when your helicopter crashes at the airport.

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

Idk I always enjoyed them. The metal gear fight was awful though. Would much rather have watched a movie about it, because it looked phenomenal.

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum

Look Sir Droids posted:

Man, I don't remember this mission at all. I thought Skulls just appeared in the first Afghan mission, the Honeybee mission, the mission in Africa where you steal a truck, the Mansion mission with the Snipers, and then when your helicopter crashes at the airport.

Yeah I think it's the 'steal a truck' mission actually. Trucks/tanks, my mistake. I did that landmine thing and c4 thing as I said, and the skulls behaved annoyingly.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Look Sir Droids posted:

Are you saying boss fights are only appropriate if they're hard?

No, I was saying that the strand system seems to already be affecting the game pretty heavily even though it isn't in general release yet.

That said, it seems a little strange to me to design a boss fight meant to be challenging and then give the players a way to basically not do it. It strikes me as an unintended oversight. But obviously I don't know in what way they're trivialized so I can only speculate.

Look Sir Droids posted:

I remember it. It was loving terrible. They just appear right in front of you and you don't have a chance to react or hide. If you want to sneak away you basically have to prep the area with smoke grenades.

Rotten Red Rod fucked around with this message at 22:26 on Nov 1, 2019

Terra-da-loo!
Apr 6, 2008

Sufficiently kickass.
Actually wanna play this game a whole lot now that I've seen how absolutely loving bizarre it is. I don't wanna dive in and pay full price upon release, though.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Day Man posted:

For the spectacle? Multiple reviews have praised the impressive bosses you go against. If they are made easy, it seems to eliminate the problem you just complained about?

Eh, honestly, don't really take it as a dig at this game but more a general game design frustration I have. I just don't like it when a challenge in a game gets completely trivialized. It happens a lot with co-op games that haven't been balanced well, for instance. If it's something that was so frustrating that it's more enjoyable for it to be steamrolled over, then I'm just left wondering why it was there at all. But that's just me, I guess.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

Kojima's "we start to feel our mortality after we turn 40" quote: the game

Martian Manfucker
Dec 27, 2012

misandry is real
the fact that this game is making gamers lose their minds only fills me with even more resolve that it is the GOAT

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

Rotten Red Rod posted:

No, I was saying that the strand system seems to already be affecting the game pretty heavily even though it isn't in general release yet.

That said, it seems a little strange to me to design a boss fight meant to be challenging and then give the players a way to basically not do it. It strikes me as an unintended oversight. But obviously I don't know in what way they're trivialized so I can only speculate.

As someone else said, I think they're going to be there purely as spectacle. I don't think trivializing enemy encounters is a big deal though. Eventually I figure out a way to do it in every game and Kojima boss fights usually have a cheese method available.

quote:

I remember it. It was loving terrible. They just appear right in front of you and you don't have a chance to react or hide. If you want to sneak away you basically have to prep the area with smoke grenades,

The only bad thing about it to me was that the game does nothing to tell you how to deal with them and it becomes trial and error. It is bullshit that they track you too, but that's a pressure mechanic. There are also other ways to set up the encounter once you know it's going to happen, and that's what that encounter teaches you. Not to stick with the by the books scripted end point of the mission. Aggression and creativity matter.

There were so many pro-active mission approaches in that game. I recall a video of a dude doing some mission where a dude you needed to kidnap gets dropped off by a helicopter. He infiltrated the area with a truck so the scripted helicopter drop dropped the NPC right in to the truck bed where he held him up. In the middle of half a dozen guards. It was wild. Might have been BIG SARU.

Look Sir Droids fucked around with this message at 22:33 on Nov 1, 2019

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

imo middling Metacritic scores are good because it means the devs didn't try to please everyone. 90%+ metascore probably means the game didn't try to say anything or do anything unsafe

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Look Sir Droids posted:

The only bad thing about it to me was that the game does nothing to tell you how to deal with them and it becomes trial and error. It is bullshit that they track you too, but that's a pressure mechanic. There are also other ways to set up the encounter once you know it's going to happen, and that's what that encounter teaches you. Not to stick with the by the books scripted end point of the mission. Aggression and creativity matter.

There were so many pro-active mission approaches in that game. I recall a video of a dude doing some mission where a dude you needed to kidnap gets dropped off by a helicopter. He infiltrated the area with a truck so the scripted helicopter drop dropped the NPC right in to the truck bed where he held him up. In the middle of half a dozen guards. It was wild. Might have been BIG SARU.

See I totally agree with your second paragraph, but the skulls don't let you use any of the fun mechanics you use to creatively play the rest of the game. Sure, it's trial-and-error, but in a save-reload way instead of a "oh poo poo this mission went sideways, time to improvise" way you can do the rest of the game.

I think I'd play a game that was just a huge map with endless bases full of guards I can play around in with MGSV's mechanics. But most every other part of that game I'd like to ignore at best, and dunk into a dumpster at worst.

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

Palpek posted:

Kojima's "we start to feel our mortality after we turn 40" quote: the game

oh its before 40, trust me.

Mean Baby
May 28, 2005

JBP posted:

I'm sure there will be, but not many people were playing it at once and some would have been mauling through it day and night. If you play it at a pace where everyone else is playing I bet it will be easier to play and there will be much more infrastructure to take advantage of.

E: I obviously plan to be the moron doing twenty hours a day getting all the likes for my ladder

I think it would be cool if speed-running gets faster and faster as the infrastructure gets better and better. I doubt that infrastructure will be permanent, but we will see.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.
i kinda like how polorized this game is in the journo field. from reading a bunch of them. i feel like my opinion would be somewhere in the middle.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Rotten Red Rod posted:

Do we know if there’s different difficulty modes?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

RatHat posted:

Do we know if there’s different difficulty modes?

That was announced a while ago - unless it's changed, there's Hard, Normal, Easy, and the Very Easy mode Kojima says he put in so his non-gaming friends can play it. Dunno what the differences are, though.