Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nessin
Feb 7, 2010

Dapper_Swindler posted:

i kinda like how polorized this game is in the journo field. from reading a bunch of them. i feel like my opinion would be somewhere in the middle.

Most everyone acknowledges the same problem, it just varies between actually giving it a bad rating, recognizing the terrible parts of the game but still giving it a 9 or 10 out of 10 while being unable to explain why, or those who honestly don't give a drat about the terrible parts and feel you shouldn't either.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carmant
Nov 23, 2015

Treadmill? What's that? Is that some kind of cake?

Death Stranding is a good game. That's just a fact.

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
WHERE THE FUCK IS MY MONEY
I'm very interested in seeing the 2 hour end of game cutscene that still doesn't make the plot comprehensible.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

nessin posted:

Most everyone acknowledges the same problem, it just varies between actually giving it a bad rating, recognizing the terrible parts of the game but still giving it a 9 or 10 out of 10 while being unable to explain why, or those who honestly don't give a drat about the terrible parts and feel you shouldn't either.

yeah. it sounds like its more of a 2 fold "do you mind weird expiremental games" and also "are you ok with uncut raw kojima" i love the later because even when its stupid as gently caress its always weird and funny and i am ok with playing post apoclyptce postman pat but with poo poo bombs screaming "gently caress off ghost". i am unsure about how it all "plays" though.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Dapper_Swindler posted:

yeah. it sounds like its more of a 2 fold "do you mind weird expiremental games" and also "are you ok with uncut raw kojima" i love the later because even when its stupid as gently caress its always weird and funny and i am ok with playing post apoclyptce postman pat but with poo poo bombs screaming "gently caress off ghost". i am unsure about how it all "plays" though.

If nothing else it’s hard to hate a game that allows you to weaponize piss and poo poo.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

If you read between the lines of these reviews even the glowing ones talk about doing a lot of tedious repetitive tasks over and over except it's called "ponderous" and "meditative" if the critic liked it. I dunno, I'm getting RDR2 vibes here which I ended up skipping for the same overindulgent reasons.

Hamelekim
Feb 25, 2006

And another thing... if global warming is real. How come it's so damn cold?
Ramrod XTreme
I bounced off of RDR within about two hours of starting it. It was just too slow getting from one location to another to do something there.

DS is all about the travel itself being what you are doing. Also you still appear to move faster just walking/running than in RDR. Add in vehicles and things like ladders and rope and it seems like a much better time.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
I dunno, I liked the tedium of RDR2.

Spending a day scooping up horse poo poo, building a fence, milking cows and picking up eggs only to get paid $3 at the end made me bust out laughing.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

I love games that celebrate the mundane, Shenmue and Gone Home are some of my favorites of all time. Just not for 60 hours.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

MazelTovCocktail posted:

If nothing else it’s hard to hate a game that allows you to weaponize piss and poo poo.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YcXzU4JOiDE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZrrKNXrAzLM

i just can't wait for the compilation montages of weird gameplay set to this

exquisite tea posted:

I love games that celebrate the mundane, Shenmue and Gone Home are some of my favorites of all time. Just not for 60 hours.

yeah, i love my weird mundane/deep games but loving 60s housts of fedex makes me apprehensive.

Overbite
Jan 24, 2004

I'm a vtuber expert
I don't mind spending 2 hours watching a weird, incomprehensible art movie but 60 hours? Nah

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

Steve Yun posted:

My name is Robin Leach, welcome to Lifestyles of the Rich and Famous

ha ha ha we're old

Noam Chomsky
Apr 4, 2019

:capitalism::dehumanize:

High IQ show meet high IQ game:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f02GKR7SahQ

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Hearing the game is divisive has me really excited to play it.

Noam Chomsky
Apr 4, 2019

Raxivace posted:

Hearing the game is divisive has me really excited to play it.

If nothing else I'm glad it's not for everyone. I like plenty of movies and books that aren't for everyone; we all do. It would be a different story if every review was bad.

I'm extremely excited for it but that doesn't mean it'll be good or fun but at least it sounds like it'll be something different.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Yeah even if I end up hating the game I’d much rather have an interesting/ambitious failure than something that tries really hard not alienate anybody even if the latter is “better”.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Noam Chomsky posted:

If nothing else I'm glad it's not for everyone. I like plenty of movies and books that aren't for everyone; we all do. It would be a different story if every review was bad.

I'm extremely excited for it but that doesn't mean it'll be good or fun but at least it sounds like it'll be something different.

yeah, i may pick it up after release at some point. i'll wait for more thread opinions.

Friendly Fire
Dec 29, 2004
All my friends got me for my birthday was this stupid custom title. Fuck my friends.

Steve Yun posted:

I dunno, I liked the tedium of RDR2.

Me too. For me most of the enjoyment of RDR2 was the atmosphere and when you slowed down and let the game breathe, it was at its best.

I mean, I know it has its faults, and I totally get why others didn't like it but I loved it. I hope I love Death Standing for similar reasons.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
I can't wait to watch the MGS2 style movie at the end of this game and then wait ten years to actually understand what fever bullshit Kojima was thinking about.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

JBP posted:

I can't wait to watch the MGS2 style movie at the end of this game and then wait ten years to actually understand what fever bullshit Kojima was thinking about.

by then, the country will actually resemble death stranding's brutal, decimated landscapes

haunted bong
Jun 24, 2007

Taintrunner posted:

by then, the country will actually resemble death stranding's brutal, decimated landscapes

Kojima is a true visionary

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
I'm a baby in a jar Morty! I'M BABY IN A JAR RIIIIICK

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

JBP posted:

Nah, this game seems a lot more straightforward than MGS

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

After the credits, the camera pans out to reveal that Sunny and George and Dog-Shaped Robot Buddy have been playing Death Stranding the whole time.

George looks at Sunny, and she shrugs. Cut to black, game done.

the_enduser
May 1, 2006

They say the user lives outside the net.

lmao this sounds perfect for audiobooks/podcasts.

I haven't read any of the reviews, but have any mentioned the scale of the game?

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Tertius Oculum posted:

lmao this sounds perfect for audiobooks/podcasts.

I haven't read any of the reviews, but have any mentioned the scale of the game?

45 hours of walking sim and ten hours of cutscenes

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

I'm going to play this dumb game and I'm going to love it. Dumber, dumber, I say! More walking! More pissing! More Babies! More whale corpses! More Homodemons!

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."
RDR2 was GOTY 2018 so its gonna be funny if another moody 'traverse across beautiful vistas and manage a deliberately clunky inventory' AAA game is GOTY 2019

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Wolfsheim posted:

RDR2 was GOTY 2018 so its gonna be funny if another moody 'traverse across beautiful vistas and manage a deliberately clunky inventory' AAA game is GOTY 2019

rdr2's nature-hike traversal is the main reason death stranding caught my eye

i'd like another opportunity to stomp across large and lovely landscapes without all the rockstar-ness getting in the way

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

This displeases Dev- ..van. Shut up.

JBP posted:

45 hours of walking sim and ten hours of cutscenes

Additionally, the cutscenes are 2 hours of plot, 8 hours of Kojima's celebrity bffs discussing their favorite books, music, video games and movies*.

*I do not know this for certain, and yet, I do.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Oxxidation posted:

rdr2's nature-hike traversal is the main reason death stranding caught my eye

i'd like another opportunity to stomp across large and lovely landscapes without all the rockstar-ness getting in the way

yea tbh my idea RDR experience is just moseying around and ignoring the way more boring 'here's three waves of guys charging you' kinda 'action' missions. If this game lets me do that but in the future it's my GOTY

Noam Chomsky
Apr 4, 2019

The Human Crouton posted:

I'm going to play this dumb game and I'm going to love it. Dumber, dumber, I say! More walking! More pissing! More Babies! More whale corpses! More Homodemons!

*runs into thread pushing up multiple pairs of glasses while slipping and breaking his jar baby and rolling around in the resulting amniotic fluid* i think you mean homo demens its latin for mad men

:goonsay:

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

How is Homo Demons not a gang tag yet.

Noam Chomsky
Apr 4, 2019

Funky Valentine posted:

How is Homo Demons not a gang tag yet.

o poo poo...

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

Yeah, well I don't trust this guy. I think he regifted, he degifted, and now he's using an upstairs invite as a springboard to a Super Bowl sex romp.
Did anyone say homo gamens yet?

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

I'm all for walking across beautiful landscapes but every image I've seen of this game basically looks like an Icelandic plain. Which is beautiful, sure, but a bit samey.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

Noam Chomsky posted:

o poo poo...

The ham sandwich race has come for your women with their AL ghul

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

This displeases Dev- ..van. Shut up.

freebooter posted:

I'm all for walking across beautiful landscapes but every image I've seen of this game basically looks like an Icelandic plain. Which is beautiful, sure, but a bit samey.

Maybe the big reveal is that "america" is actually the terraformed moon.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Lol this Tim Rogers review. I need this poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the_enduser
May 1, 2006

They say the user lives outside the net.

Thanks, but I meant like map scale wise etc.