Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The_Fuzzinator
Oct 9, 2007

I know now why you Cuddle. But it's something I can never do.

Mulloy posted:

Why do I not want to redownload or why did I get a cosmos? I have a space where not needing lighthouses is beneficial, and I really liked my vive when I had it. As for games it;s just a time thing. I can queue them all up tomorrow but I wasn't sure if that was a necessary step.

I believe it's why you got the cosmos

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
gently caress me, I figured my performance issues with Unity out. Goddamn Windows telemetry data collection. It switched to full telemetry due to having had an insider build of Windows 10 installed. As soon as I forced it to basic via gpedit.msc, my frame times were cut in half.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
Windows telemetry is goddamn bullshit

Mulloy
Jan 3, 2005

I am your best friend's wife's sword student's current roommate.

The_Fuzzinator posted:

I believe it's why you got the cosmos

Yeah it's my ceilings in my basement are poo poo. I can either give up my basement living room or go without lighthouses. My vive was cool but not that cool.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Zaphod42 posted:

Windows telemetry is goddamn bullshit
Yea, but this is really ridiculous. I wonder what else it did affect that hard.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Mulloy posted:

Yeah it's my ceilings in my basement are poo poo. I can either give up my basement living room or go without lighthouses. My vive was cool but not that cool.

So why not get a Rift S or Quest then?

Doctor w-rw-rw-
Jun 24, 2008

Mulloy posted:

get a refund if you can or exchange it for a Quest tbh

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

I ran into one of EbolaIvory's videos on Youtube. Song was called Hoohah. I thought it looked doable. I downloaded it. I concluded "I guess not".

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

Combat Pretzel posted:

I ran into one of EbolaIvory's videos on Youtube. Song was called Hoohah. I thought it looked doable. I downloaded it. I concluded "I guess not".

Such a kick rear end map! Circus is a little bit easier and just as bop

TIP
Mar 21, 2006

Your move, creep.

I was just looking at this article, Oculus Link Beta: Here’s What To Expect From Oculus Quest’s PC VR Headset Makeover, and saw a detail I hadn't read about before.

quote:

During an OC6 panel on Oculus Link, a keynote slide indicated Link would allow you play the “majority of the Rift library” on your Quest. Facebook told us that developers will be able to opt out of Oculus Link support if they choose to do so.

Really curious whether any developers will actually pull this move. The only reason I can think of to do it would be if you sold your game on Quest and PC, didn't support crossbuy, and you really wanted to force them to buy it on Quest. Seems like a tiny amount of possible profit compared to how pissed off people would be.

Just imagine if you had a Rift S, and you sold it to get a Quest with link, and then you discovered a bunch of titles in your Rift library won't work anymore and you have to rebuy them if you want to play them.

mashed
Jul 27, 2004

Tip posted:

I was just looking at this article, Oculus Link Beta: Here’s What To Expect From Oculus Quest’s PC VR Headset Makeover, and saw a detail I hadn't read about before.

Really curious whether any developers will actually pull this move. The only reason I can think of to do it would be if you sold your game on Quest and PC, didn't support crossbuy, and you really wanted to force them to buy it on Quest. Seems like a tiny amount of possible profit compared to how pissed off people would be.

Just imagine if you had a Rift S, and you sold it to get a Quest with link, and then you discovered a bunch of titles in your Rift library won't work anymore and you have to rebuy them if you want to play them.

It seems pretty unlikely to me that anyone would actually do that. I don't see what the win for them would be given most games that people would use link with don't have a native Quest version available.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy
Kinda whack that you can't play Steam VR games, I have a few like Stand Out that I don't also have in the Rift store. I wonder if anyone will make a workaround. Maybe a sideloaded build of Virtual Desktop or ALVR could leverage the Oculus Link instead of Wifi?

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

Zero VGS posted:

Kinda whack that you can't play Steam VR games, I have a few like Stand Out that I don't also have in the Rift store. I wonder if anyone will make a workaround. Maybe a sideloaded build of Virtual Desktop or ALVR could leverage the Oculus Link instead of Wifi?

Man if only someone said "Buying a Quest isnt a replacement for a desktop vr" in this thread.

I wont be shocked if openVR titles don't run. Which is the big concern tbh. But whatever. Its not a replacement desktop headset.

EbolaIvory fucked around with this message at 23:32 on Nov 1, 2019

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Zero VGS posted:

Uh, what?

quote:

We previously reached out to Facebook to confirm whether you would be able to run Rift-compatible Steam content on the Quest via Oculus Link. “Yes. When you tether your Quest to your PC with Oculus Link, you will be able to operate the headset the same way you do Rift,” a Facebook representative wrote in their email response.

We’ll believe this truly when we test it ourselves, but this should mean Link would work with popular Rift-compatible Steam content such as Skyrim VR and No Man’s Sky VR. Given this response, and a tweet from the President of Viveport at HTC, it seems Link is expected to work with Rift-compatible Viveport content as well.

TIP
Mar 21, 2006

Your move, creep.

Zero VGS posted:

I'm pretty sure they've said from the beginning that SteamVR will be supported.
https://uploadvr.com/quest-steamvr-games/

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy
Oh my bad, I got confused by the weasely language they're using. To say it will do "everything a Rift does", except that Rift store devs can opt-out, is definitely weird.

edit: Not to spread more FUD, but the fact that the Quest is communicating game data (or else how would it know if a game is opted out) means they might do the same bullshit like ban your Oculus account over PC Beat Saber modding like they can on the Quest locally.

Zero VGS fucked around with this message at 23:59 on Nov 1, 2019

mashed
Jul 27, 2004

Press X to doubt.

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

mashed_penguin posted:

Press X to doubt.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/402330/Press_X_to_Not_Die/

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao
x

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

That Italian Guy posted:

You guys weren't kidding about Thrill of the Fight...I'm not the gooniest goon and after a match with the Sparring Partner and a 3 rounder with the first opponent I was soaked. Also I can definitely feel it in my body today. I never boxed, but I used to practice HEMA and this feels oddly familiar, down to your head being encased in a sweaty box at the end of the match.

I am doing about one bout a day now and I can definitely feel it in my back and shoulders still

I got it the week it came out and then had to go crawl around on my boat and replace some stuff and just gave up, because TotF just completely wrecked my muscles and I was almost too stiff to drive over there. A week later I can still feel it the next day after my practice bout

I had my very foofy lovey type wife try out TotF, at first she was like, "I don't LIKE vr stuff, ugh" but as soon as the match started, she started throwing punches and halfway through round 3 she got a TKO against the guy on medium, by the end of the first round she was out for blood. I was really impressed how quickly she picked it up and actually really enjoyed it

TL;DR for $9.99 everyone should have Thrill of the Fight to show off to people when they're done with Beat Saber

Also the graphics for TotF are way better than Beat Saber

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

Hadlock posted:

I am doing about one bout a day now and I can definitely feel it in my back and shoulders still

I got it the week it came out and then had to go crawl around on my boat and replace some stuff and just gave up, because TotF just completely wrecked my muscles and I was almost too stiff to drive over there. A week later I can still feel it the next day after my practice bout

I had my very foofy lovey type wife try out TotF, at first she was like, "I don't LIKE vr stuff, ugh" but as soon as the match started, she started throwing punches and halfway through round 3 she got a TKO against the guy on medium, by the end of the first round she was out for blood. I was really impressed how quickly she picked it up and actually really enjoyed it

TL;DR for $9.99 everyone should have Thrill of the Fight to show off to people when they're done with Beat Saber

Also the graphics for TotF are way better than Beat Saber

Thrill is the kind of game you put someone into that says "VR ISNT ANY DIFFERENT THAN SITTING IN A CHAIR".

Games like that make babies out of people real fast.
The text messages the next day are awesome. "I CANT MOVE YOU rear end in a top hat"

Yeah. Well VR is just chair games right?

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

EbolaIvory posted:

Man if only someone said "Buying a Quest isnt a replacement for a desktop vr" in this thread.

lol

ZombyDog
Jul 11, 2001

Ere to fix yer gubbinz
For those interested, if you have a wheel, use the Manual Transmission mod with GTA V. Setting up a wheel for VR purposes is a doddle and really elevates the driving.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
Ugh, I'm getting real sick of this happening every other time I try to play games in VR

Steam acts like everything is cool and good

boot into VR... hm, home is real slow and unresponsive, why is this?

Restart steam.... "Steam is updating"

Like, if you absolutely have to update, just loving update before booting into vr! Alternatively, fix your poo poo so that it works even if you don't have the absolute latest version updated right away.

Even after all the improvements to software you still have to assume that it may take 10-20 minutes before you can actually enjoy VR on any given day. Gotta make sure not to put the headset on until its already working, can't assume that it will work or you'll be sick of wearing it by the time it finally boots.

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

Zaphod42 posted:

Ugh, I'm getting real sick of this happening every other time I try to play games in VR

Steam acts like everything is cool and good

boot into VR... hm, home is real slow and unresponsive, why is this?

Restart steam.... "Steam is updating"

Like, if you absolutely have to update, just loving update before booting into vr! Alternatively, fix your poo poo so that it works even if you don't have the absolute latest version updated right away.

Even after all the improvements to software you still have to assume that it may take 10-20 minutes before you can actually enjoy VR on any given day. Gotta make sure not to put the headset on until its already working, can't assume that it will work or you'll be sick of wearing it by the time it finally boots.

I swear steam crashes itself to force updates as well. Like, Just say "hey we have to update now please". I've never had a crash, that didnt result in an update.

*Takes off tinfoil hat*

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

EbolaIvory posted:

I swear steam crashes itself to force updates as well. Like, Just say "hey we have to update now please". I've never had a crash, that didnt result in an update.

*Takes off tinfoil hat*

Yeah that's exactly how I feel. I wouldn't mind "please update steam now before playing vr" just tell me! But instead everything just fucks up until you realize it secretly needs an update. Its a real bad experience if you have to put on / take off your HMD over and over as a result.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority
H3VR's Take & Hold is fun as poo poo, goddamn. He really polished it up since the original WIP I played.

Onward's new update is nice. The game loads much faster, the interface is cleaner, and the AI foes do a bit more than just charge headfirst into you. There's a pretty busy online population at the moment. Plenty of co-op servers.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Played a good bit of Crisis Vrigade and it is pretty dang fun but too hard and too punishing.

I feel confident I can build a similar style game, and I also feel confident I can make it less punishing by copying more of Superhot VR's bullet dodging. (I even know which asset pack the guy used to make Crisis Vrigade, lmao)

Guns n' Stories is basically that, shooting gallery with superhot VR bullet dodging and deflecting, and works pretty darn well! Check out the free demo if you haven't heard of it, its a pretty fun and meaty demo.

COMPOUND is also super :krad: shooter with free locomotion and roguelike random levels, its not done but there's a free demo and its really really good.

I think I'm gonna buy H3VR and Zero Caliber next, both games I've had on my list for a long time, may as well pull the trigger and check them out.

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 07:01 on Nov 2, 2019

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority
Deffo H3VR. It was already a worthy purchase when it was just a lovingly detailed plinking game, but the game-games he's added over the past year or so push it into Must Buy.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
H3VR's added a bunch of neat tweaks to RoTR this week, and a Schofield Model 3 Revolver :stwoon:

Anton's also added Picatinny Rails to the KWG Shotgun, the madman :allears: (It's the ten-round one that looks and fires like an Uzi).

Paingod556
Nov 8, 2011

Not a problem, sir

Neddy Seagoon posted:

H3VR's added a bunch of neat tweaks to RoTR this week, and a Schofield Model 3 Revolver :stwoon:

Anton's also added Picatinny Rails to the KWG Shotgun, the madman :allears: (It's the ten-round one that looks and fires like an Uzi).

For those who haven't tried H3VR yet- Do you know what a Bolter is?

The KWG is a Bolter. Especially when loaded with SWAG-Frag rounds.

The Halloween mode also has a full ending now. Now to redo it in Hardcore mode. Should mention there are items locked behind different end conditions, including one for each difficulty.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

In H3, is there a way to remove attachments? They seem to be stuck on once you attach them so I always just spawn a new weapon.

Why yes I've put scopes on backwards, why do you ask?

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

sigher posted:

In H3, is there a way to remove attachments? They seem to be stuck on once you attach them so I always just spawn a new weapon.

Why yes I've put scopes on backwards, why do you ask?

Click on the trigger, and hold down on the touchpad or thumbstick (depending on what your controller is) as you pull it away. To turn on laser sights or torches, hold the trigger and tap/flick upwards instead.

El Grillo
Jan 3, 2008
Fun Shoe

Shine posted:

Onward's new update is nice. The game loads much faster, the interface is cleaner, and the AI foes do a bit more than just charge headfirst into you. There's a pretty busy online population at the moment. Plenty of co-op servers.
This sounds pretty sweet, I won't tend to play against other players because I'm bad, but if the AI is a bit better then co-op is more of a viable option. I really love the game, it seems as close as we'll get to ARMA in VR for a long time yet.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Here's my Steam sale VR adventures summary (too late to be useful to anyone but oh well):

Moss is loving precious and let's me pet a mousie.

Serious Sam Last Hope is a big pile of meh.

Serious Sam VR Trilogy is loving great in VR though.

PAYDAY 2 is also amazing in VR.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

-snip-

Jack Trades fucked around with this message at 13:33 on Nov 2, 2019

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

And here I thought I was clever for coming up with the idea of a VR hoverbike game where you actually lean to control the bike

And then I find V-Racer Hoverbike on steam

I'm a day late and a dollar short!

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

We need the equivalent of the shrimp = small pastry avatar, but for ambulances and their mysteries now.
Anyone else experiencing weird "depth perception distortion" after spending some time in VR? I don't have locomotion sickness, but sometimes I get weirded out trying to put stuff close to my face in focus after playing for a while. I wear glasses inside the headset, if that makes any difference. It's nothing major (no dizziness or vertigo), just a weird feeling that something is "off".

Nektu
Jul 4, 2007

FUKKEN FUUUUUUCK
Cybernetic Crumb

That Italian Guy posted:

Anyone else experiencing weird "depth perception distortion" after spending some time in VR? I don't have locomotion sickness, but sometimes I get weirded out trying to put stuff close to my face in focus after playing for a while. I wear glasses inside the headset, if that makes any difference. It's nothing major (no dizziness or vertigo), just a weird feeling that something is "off".
Its just a glitch in the Matrix.

I had this too, and then it went away.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Jack Trades posted:

Here's my Steam sale VR adventures summary (too late to be useful to anyone but oh well):

Moss is loving precious and let's me pet a mousie.

Serious Sam Last Hope is a big pile of meh.

Serious Sam VR Trilogy is loving great in VR though.

PAYDAY 2 is also amazing in VR.

How far into Last Hope are you? The first world is by far the worst one. Gets better on harder difficulty levels too once you actually need to use some weapon selection strategy and powerups