Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

watho
Aug 2, 2013

The real world will, again tomorrow, function and run without me.

i kind of agree that cis people tweeting or saying trans rights isn’t actual support, but it’s kind of an interesting take for a cigarette manufacturer to point out that candy bars aren’t healthy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Parakeet vs. Phone
Nov 6, 2009
It's also disappointingly close to original, really lovely use of virtue signaling back in the chan days.

If someone is saying "Donkey Kong says Trans Rights" they aren't just having fun referencing a meme with their friends, generally goofying off or trying to feel like they're part of a bigger movement for fun, comfort, social need, etc. No, it's a calculated effort to signal their wokeness for points, attention or sex. How do I know this? Because I assume everyone is as cynical and dead on the inside as me and couldn't possible have beliefs or non-calculated motives. I guess slacktivists are a problem, but I don't think I've really seen many people supporting it. Yeah, it's like complaining about candy bars. No one's saying that it's good to down a bag of Milky Ways.

Anyway,

NyxFears posted a fun video on the Hell House LLC series for Halloween a few days ago. It's on a found footage movie that includes found footage of the afterlife, and May describes the third film as "written by the drunk guy at the bar who won't stop talking about his great idea for a House of Leaves sequel." Even though according to the comments she got a little confused on a plot point, it's fun to see May talk about trashy movies that she appreciates. I can agree with her swing for the fences vibe. I'm also still enjoying the happier, silly aesthetic. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lF7Np5NQSUY

RalphtheMovieMaker just put up a review for The Irishman. I only watched the first non-spoiler half, but it's a neat short look that made me interested in catching the movie. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LT0xW8GNo6I. There's a clear warning for spoilers if you're planning to watch it later like me.

Also how's Nightmare Masterclass? They just dropped the next part of their Petscop coverage. I've been meaning to get into it, but watching NightMind's series on it a while ago kind of burned me out, so it keeps getting pushed to the back burner.

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

LET ME EXPLAIN TO YOU WHY YOU ARE WRONG ABOUT EVERYTHING
okay, so. I don't think we should ask Contra's friends to abandon her for one simple, critical reason - they will do it themselves of their own accord. Within the next year. I don't know how you can read that transcript and draw any conclusion that Contra has a future as a leftist YouTuber. She's not a leftist, and she doesn't consider leftists, or really even younger trans people, to be her audience. so, yeah, unsubscribe.
I am officially done defending someone that doesn't consider people like me her audience. loving done.

CmdrKing
Oct 14, 2012

Maybe if I called it 'Interpretive Stabbing'...

watho posted:

i kind of agree that cis people tweeting or saying trans rights isn’t actual support, but it’s kind of an interesting take for a cigarette manufacturer to point out that candy bars aren’t healthy

Yes and no I feel like?

Like a key problem facing trans (and especially non-binary) folk is people believing it’s a phase, or a psychological condition, or so minor an issue it’s not worth acknowledging.

In that sense creating a critical mass of “actually we should be talking about trans rights”, even if you don’t know enough to know that that *means*, is a tangible good.

watho
Aug 2, 2013

No yeah for sure, normalizing support is never a bad thing

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

I can definitely see the point of saying people give cis dudes way too much credit for barely-there amounts of support, like there were people literally crying with joy when one of the mcelroys played a trans character in some D&D podcast and the first thing he did was put on a lovely falsetto and talk about his character's transition history, lol. That's a reasonable thing to point out. People are very desperate for the validation of cis people, and sometimes that leads to them putting dudes on a pedestal for stuff that either sucks or isn't really that impressive. It's obviously nice when someone confirms their support but people take it way out of proportion. I'd agree with her on that...

If it wasn't a deflection from her working with a lovely dude. Like if this was about that earlier blowup about it being So loving Hard, I could buy it, because she was expressing a complex point in a mildly off way. Not that she didn't deserve criticism for that, but it definitely wasn't anything worth excommunicating her over. But this is just unambiguously a bad thing and instead of going 'yeah my bad' she's talking about how people don't want complexity or Real Trans Voices. Like do we have to put up with toxic people or give them good faith solely because they're trans? I'm willing to give people good faith to a certain extent, sure, a huge part of the experience is figuring out poo poo that there's barely a cultural understanding of and that everyone has a slightly different view of even within the community, but there's a difference between that and forgiving every single possible slight.

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook

Parakeet vs. Phone posted:

Also how's Nightmare Masterclass? They just dropped the next part of their Petscop coverage. I've been meaning to get into it, but watching NightMind's series on it a while ago kind of burned me out, so it keeps getting pushed to the back burner.

Nightmare Masterclass is probably one of the few dumb internet horror/ARG channels that like... tries to do the media analysis thing and actually somewhat pulls it off. Like he's not some super great critic who makes you really think/feel a sense of realization when they get to their conclusion, but at least he doesn't have brokebrain level takes like Night Mind's, and his usual mode of analysis for stuff like this is to just take what's already the community consensus and then do thematic analysis from what's available. I was skeptical of his Petscop series for the longest time before I broke and watched it, and while it's definitely not his best work, it's probably the least tiring Petscop analysis series on Youtube. Which like... low bar, but eh.

I prefer his topic videos like this Salad Fingers one about how fan theories/puzzle boxes get in the way of actually approaching art thematically, similar to Dan's video on the internet video mill churning out shallow "what really happened" analysis on Annihilation. His series about Don't Hug Me I'm Scared and using analyzing it as a lens to explore different literary analysis techniques is pretty neat and a window into a neat little meta zone (i.e. a media analysis person talking about the nuts and bolts of media analysis from a place of passion and genuine interest). Kind of a more horror turbo-nerdy version of Lindsay's old The Whole Plate series.

Like, he doesn't really have the charm in his analysis like Errant SIgnal/Campster, Innuendo Studios, Big Joel, Noah Gervais etc do (each in wildly different unique ways), but he's definitely a cut above the Nexpo/NM crowd in sheer terms of content, even if he has marginally less straight entertainment value. (IDK how he compares to May since I haven't gotten around to watching her much).

Linear Zoetrope fucked around with this message at 12:40 on Nov 2, 2019

watho
Aug 2, 2013

I think inside a mind is also pretty good when it comes to spooky internet stuff. Their vid on don’t hug me I’m scared is a good antithesis to most others

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Folks were talking about isekai a bit ago, here's a fun one

Gourmet Adventure of the Legendary Tamer

Dude gets accidentally summoned to another world alongside three other people who are heroes, says "nah gently caress this I'm out", and wanders out into the wilderness to lead a casual life as a merchant. He has a skill, Supermarket, where he can pop the world's currency into a window and pull out food and cooking utensils. This attracts the attention of Fenrir, Wolf Demigod, who demands they form a pact. Fenrir will accompany and protect him in exchange for...three square meals a day. It's cute. No skeeviness or anything 15 chapters in so far, and Fenrir is the real MC at this point imo. Only main bad isekai trope so far is some of the countries have slavery(mainly the imperialists and fanatical theocracies), the MC immediately realizes "oh god this world suuuuuucks" and begins a journey to go to one of the countries that isn't slavekeeping garbage

Captain Invictus fucked around with this message at 13:10 on Nov 2, 2019

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook

watho posted:

I think inside a mind is also pretty good when it comes to spooky internet stuff. Their vid on don’t hug me I’m scared is a good antithesis to most others

Oh yeah, I think I saw their video on Junko Junsui and liked it a lot, I didn't know they did that sort of analysis on other work. I got to their channel through Atrocity Guide and subbed but didn't really look at their other vids because I wasn't in the mood for a huge ARG/true crime/internet drama deep dive at the time.

watho
Aug 2, 2013

Linear Zoetrope posted:

Oh yeah, I think I saw their video on Junko Junsui and liked it a lot, I didn't know they did that sort of analysis on other work. I got to their channel through Atrocity Guide and subbed but didn't really look at their other vids because I wasn't in the mood for a huge ARG/true crime/internet drama deep dive at the time.

They have a big video on seventybroad that’s really good as well, and the video on ghostwatch got me to subscribe

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Belatedly, thanks to whomever pointed me at Noah Gervais. They had an amazing comparison video between Clive Barker's Undying and Clive Barker's Jericho. What's amazing is the latter has even more of Barker's stamp on it, and yet is fundamentally a worse game in all respects (even if, yes, he didn't program the thing or design the levels). Jericho is one of those games I have an odd... hate-fondness for, probably because at its very core I think the idea is really cool but the execution just kinda spits up all over itself, so new videos to watch on it are always welcome.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Spatula City posted:

okay, so. I don't think we should ask Contra's friends to abandon her for one simple, critical reason - they will do it themselves of their own accord. Within the next year. I don't know how you can read that transcript and draw any conclusion that Contra has a future as a leftist YouTuber. She's not a leftist, and she doesn't consider leftists, or really even younger trans people, to be her audience. so, yeah, unsubscribe.
I am officially done defending someone that doesn't consider people like me her audience. loving done.

As someone playing catch-up, I don't really feel qualified or appropriate throwing my 2 cents in the ring, but as a self-described leftist this whole incident seems like another textbook case-study in why leftist politics have such struggle with cohesion. That isn't a value judgment or commendation toward any party involved--I'm personally inclined to say "screw C-Points" if you need to know--but as someone who grew up in the shadow of Reagan and has consistently watched the left struggle to do basic things while fascism has found global renewal, the left's perpetual fecklessness is a subject of genuine academic value. Yes "it's been done already" but still, it keeps happening.

Parakeet vs. Phone posted:

Anyway,

NyxFears posted a fun video on the Hell House LLC series for Halloween a few days ago. It's on a found footage movie that includes found footage of the afterlife, and May describes the third film as "written by the drunk guy at the bar who won't stop talking about his great idea for a House of Leaves sequel." Even though according to the comments she got a little confused on a plot point, it's fun to see May talk about trashy movies that she appreciates. I can agree with her swing for the fences vibe. I'm also still enjoying the happier, silly aesthetic. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lF7Np5NQSUY
As someone who bought a year to Shudder and binged through the three of these, this was a really good video on them.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

More people need to discover the Bad Ben franchise on prime. It’s got that Hellhouse llc taste of “some things that look kind of good, but it’s laughably awful.”

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

A new Good Bad or Bad Bad feast for the senses. Or a I Can't Believe It's Not Neil Breen! The tagline is 'Sexually Transmitted Power.' It's amazing.

Ubik_Lives
Nov 16, 2012

Rockit posted:

Just because she's salty(Wrongly or not) about people just posting memes that (Partly) came out of Hbomber's fan-base and nothing else doesn't mean she's putting hbomber in the same brush.

There's like no indicator of the latter at all other that "She must have warped what Hbomber did like she did with everything else." which sounds logical at first glance but people don't always do that.

But she states that she's referring to certain people, who are extremely popular. That feels like it's more targeted at other Youtube personalities than randoms on Twitter.

Even if we assume this is about randoms, it's still a weirdly dismissive stance to take. The Donkey Kong meme is a direct result of Hbomb's trans charity event, so it seems super-disingenuous to claim that the tweeters didn't donate and weren't celebrating that the charity event was so successful to have a small cultural impact, but instead that they just care about displaying surface level support.

Ash Crimson
Apr 4, 2010
Natalie keeps coming across as a deeply pathetic individual who is willing to throw portions of the transcommunity under the bus for clout.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Ash Crimson posted:

Natalie keeps coming across as a deeply pathetic individual who is willing to throw portions of the transcommunity under the bus for clout fame and quick cash.

Fixed

Clout it one thing, but if she wants to keep monetizing her schtick for things like SXSW and college speaking then trying to square that crowd with the understandably volatile trans community is a losing battle so she's ultimately going to nestle comfortably between the folds of the biggest wallets that'll have her and snipe outward the exact same way a Jordan Peterson does. Honestly? I understand it. Like you said-- deeply pathetic.

mind the walrus fucked around with this message at 18:08 on Nov 2, 2019

Trojan Kaiju
Feb 13, 2012

Endorph posted:

I can definitely see the point of saying people give cis dudes way too much credit for barely-there amounts of support, like there were people literally crying with joy when one of the mcelroys played a trans character in some D&D podcast and the first thing he did was put on a lovely falsetto and talk about his character's transition history, lol. That's a reasonable thing to point out. People are very desperate for the validation of cis people, and sometimes that leads to them putting dudes on a pedestal for stuff that either sucks or isn't really that impressive. It's obviously nice when someone confirms their support but people take it way out of proportion. I'd agree with her on that...

This is an extremely minor point but that character isn't trans. He has a trans twin who does speak like him, but it makes more sense in that context. They also don't dwell much at all on the twin sister's transition. It's more of a btw when the character is introduced.

Ash Crimson
Apr 4, 2010

mind the walrus posted:

Fixed

Clout it one thing, but if she wants to keep monetizing her schtick for things like SXSW and college speaking then trying to square that crowd with the understandably volatile trans community is a losing battle so she's ultimately going to nestle comfortably between the folds of the biggest wallets that'll have her and snipe outward the exact same way a Jordan Peterson does. Honestly? I understand it. Like you said-- deeply pathetic.

She keeps doubling down on her poo poo, keeps making the same unforced errors and when called out on it her excuses are mealymouthed and weak.

The time to assume it being merely an accident is long past, she's willing to platform people who advocate for a demonstrably harmful position. She's the trans equivalent of Dave Rubin.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
It wouldn't be too much of a thing beyond the disappointment factor if she didn't have friends in the same sphere literally comparing nb people mad at her to gamergate poo poo, it's a clout thing for sure, just because it's a small clout world doesn't make it not clout.

It's honestly kinda funny because the people like Lindsey were for sure the same ones complaining about 'the dirtbag left' but at least when poo poo like the chapo dudes do a lame joke with Cosby's star on the walk of fame during his trial their reaction to people getting upset was 'yea fair enough that was a dumb joke for social media'. The ol Reactionary Doubledown is stuff like Contra and PT being all 'well if I say sorry I'm basically validating harassers so actually gently caress y'all'.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

sexpig by night posted:

It wouldn't be too much of a thing beyond the disappointment factor if she didn't have friends in the same sphere literally comparing nb people mad at her to gamergate poo poo, it's a clout thing for sure, just because it's a small clout world doesn't make it not clout.

It's honestly kinda funny because the people like Lindsey were for sure the same ones complaining about 'the dirtbag left' but at least when poo poo like the chapo dudes do a lame joke with Cosby's star on the walk of fame during his trial their reaction to people getting upset was 'yea fair enough that was a dumb joke for social media'. The ol Reactionary Doubledown is stuff like Contra and PT being all 'well if I say sorry I'm basically validating harassers so actually gently caress y'all'.

its because said friends use the alt right as an excuse to dismiss all criticism which is loving dumb and bad. the alt right is gonna be bad faith rear end in a top hat no matter what you do, so you shouldnt care what they think when dealing with genuin gently caress ups. i like lindsey and mostly agree with her videos(outside some of the GOT stuff) but lol she is being dumb on this poo poo. unlike the dirtbag left, the online critic left seems to get lost in their own assholes too much and seems to believe anyone ever saying anything negative is either a stalker or a nazi.

Dapper_Swindler fucked around with this message at 19:04 on Nov 2, 2019

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

Dapper_Swindler posted:

its because said friends use the alt right as an excuse to dismiss all criticism which is loving dumb and bad. the alt right is gonna be bad faith rear end in a top hat no matter what you do, so you shouldnt care what they think when dealing with genuin gently caress ups. i like lindsey and mostly agree with her videos(outside some of the GOT stuff) but lol she is being dumb on this poo poo. unlike the dirtbag left, the online critic left seems to get lost in their own assholes too much and seems to believe anyone ever saying anything negative is either a stalker or a nazi.

they're going to keep doing this until Contra actually goes full right-wing grifter, and based on that transcript....it's loving happening, you better believe it.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
Get those goon asses working on youtube channels asap.
I mean, thought slime and donoteat are pretty on point usually.

CmdrKing
Oct 14, 2012

Maybe if I called it 'Interpretive Stabbing'...

Dapper_Swindler posted:

The point seems to be somewhat more nuanced and... not wrong exactly. It’s a two pronged argument.

1) one person making a good-faith criticism is fine. 500 making the *same* criticism is indistinguishable from harassment at an emotional level.

2) at a certain level of criticism, for a known public figure, bad actors will come in and escalate.

Like, I don’t believe non-binary people sent Olly death threats. I *do* believe channers made death threats against Olly while mimicking the criticisms of non-binary people.

Public callouts are basically the worst possible form of community policing. We just don’t... really have any others.

Kim Justice
Jan 29, 2007

I for one look forward to Contra dressing up just to pwn feminist videos from NowThis.

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

Eat the rich your heros.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Celebrity culture is evil and must be destroyed.

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

Kim Justice posted:

I for one look forward to Contra dressing up just to pwn feminist videos from NowThis.

gonna happen, 100%, her edgy side and exhaustion with the "SJWs" will win out in the end.

Kim Justice
Jan 29, 2007

In all seriousness, it's a pretty shitarse explanation. And it's behind a paywall which sure is a unique way of going about it...there's been plenty of bad explanations and apologies but a monetised bad explanation sure is interesting.

I don't get this whole "well he's older" thing. Like, I know a lot of old trans people. A lot of them think of NB people as valid. I presume that "I'm over 30 therefore I'm truscum" is an attempt at being witty but it fits this whole weird old-school transexual thing she has going. It's bollockks anyway. Most of us over 30 think NB's are valid and it's pretty simple. Mainly because we're of an age where we don't really give a poo poo and you should do whatever you want as long as you're not harming anyone/thing. Who the gently caress's got the time or inclination to chinstroke about non-binary people? Other than YouTubers and TERFs with no jobs?

She puts more on something like Donkey Kong said trans rights than anything Buck Angel says. Like...yes, some people say plain jane statements like this as a way of covering up their own shitearsery. It happens. But this seems more general and...well, certainly targeted a bit at Hbomb. Which is kinda rich.

And...I dunno, I don't really buy being so innocent and ignorant of Buck and his views. Contra and Theryn are extremely online. I'm sure they can quote all manner of 15th century philosophers at each other, yet they didn't know about this? Hell, I knew about Buck Angel being a bit of a poo poo just through Twitter and such - it's not like it was on the darkest reaches of Tumblr or anything. At best, it kinda shows a complete lack of care in research and a rather big hole. At worst...well yeah, it's difficult to buy.

So yeah, it's crap and most of it is, frankly, dumb. Let's find some trans people who do better by not being professional trans people online and instead just actually going about their business and creating cool stuff.

YaketySass
Jan 15, 2019

Blind Idiot Dog
The "old school transexual" comment is 100% rhetoric she picked up from all the people she insisted on platforming, they all have the same song about how the conversation used to be reasonable before the SJWs mucked it up.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
What bugs me about her framing of the Buck Angel thing, even if she did genuinely have no idea who he was besides 'trans dude activist' tons of people have explained exactly how garbage he is and poo poo like him outing another trans person and who he hangs out with and all that jazz. So yea, reducing all that as if his biggest sins were ten years ago he made a rude tweet is just absurd. Contra seems to want to be both this alt-right conversion icon who can speak their language because she's so online and also this sheltered art school kid who doesn't recognize anything when it becomes a problem for her.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
e: man the forums are wildin out

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013
I don't even know where the gently caress you get the "old school transsexual" poo poo from. 4chan's /lgbt/ weirdos are mostly zoomers and millennials obsessed with Blanchard's typology and neo-Nazi poo poo, so they outright despise older trans women and wouldn't call themselves that ever. I know the forum Susan's Place has a lot of older trans people on it, but I don't think Natalie's the type to be posting with Gen X/boomer trans women. I can't imagine Reddit has many subreddits dedicated to this kind of thing, since the primary ones dislike her or are filled with zoomers like r/traa.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Basically to sum it up

https://twitter.com/AliceAvizandum/status/1190725421937176577

https://twitter.com/AliceAvizandum/status/1190725634974273536

Ash Crimson
Apr 4, 2010

SunAndSpring posted:

I don't even know where the gently caress you get the "old school transsexual" poo poo from. 4chan's /lgbt/ weirdos are mostly zoomers and millennials obsessed with Blanchard's typology and neo-Nazi poo poo, so they outright despise older trans women and wouldn't call themselves that ever. I know the forum Susan's Place has a lot of older trans people on it, but I don't think Natalie's the type to be posting with Gen X/boomer trans women. I can't imagine Reddit has many subreddits dedicated to this kind of thing, since the primary ones dislike her or are filled with zoomers like r/traa.

She's essentially the centrist version of Blaire White, but still just as detached from the average transpersons experiences

YaketySass
Jan 15, 2019

Blind Idiot Dog
I don't think the issue is centrism per se, more of a tendency to want the conversation to be detached academic bullshit where a select few get to throw any wild take they want at each others and the people for whom the problems are very real and very urgent avoid making too much noise because that's unseemly.

I've seen lazy remarks about the "circular firing squad" regarding Contra from people I don't think could be argued to have much to do with centrism.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

SunAndSpring posted:

I had a conversation the other week with a fully-transitioned trans woman friend in her 60s and she used "transsexual" a lot. But the thing about her is she had been "stealth trans" for something like twenty years and I only found out about it recently when I decided to begin transition (congrats I'm trans :biglips:*). She has a lot of issues with passing and being visible from those old days in the early '90s, but it was unusual to see someone these days use that terminology these days.

(hell of a way to find out Lowtax changed the :bigtran: smiley)

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

So this Q&A crap really just pushes it even further, this should honestly be a make or break on showing whether you're a fair weather ally or not, the language they're using, the things they're saying and their now pattern of bad acting are not 'ugh twitter amirite please wait for my next statement' anymore, we smell smoke we see which way the wind is blowing and so on, whichever one of those you want to use for the situation, being a friend or being overall 'on your side' should not be a forever get out of jail free card.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

Young Freud posted:

I had a conversation the other week with a fully-transitioned trans woman friend in her 60s and she used "transsexual" a lot. But the thing about her is she had been "stealth trans" for something like twenty years and I only found out about it recently when I decided to begin transition (congrats I'm trans :biglips:*). She has a lot of issues with passing and being visible from those old days in the early '90s, but it was unusual to see someone these days use that terminology these days.

(hell of a way to find out Lowtax changed the :bigtran: smiley)

Welcome Sibling!

Anyway, I'm thinking back to that old Transexual.org site that I think every trans person who grew up in the 2000s saw at some point. (I found it even before I was trans) and THAT site was apparently made by a train wreck of a person with kind of hosed ideas about gender...