Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

The Walrus posted:

How far into Last Hope are you? The first world is by far the worst one. Gets better on harder difficulty levels too once you actually need to use some weapon selection strategy and powerups

I got through the third level. It's not bad but it's just a shooting gallery. I had more fun with the original trilogy since you have to dodge enemies and you get to explore the levels and poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Jack Trades posted:

I got through the third level. It's not bad but it's just a shooting gallery. I had more fun with the original trilogy since you have to dodge enemies and you get to explore the levels and poo poo.

the third level or third planet? the giant dude as the last boss of World 1 is pretty sweet. but the giant dragon boss in world 4 is probably the highlight. but yeah, it's basically a shooting gallery, just a really good one imo.

The Walrus fucked around with this message at 13:58 on Nov 2, 2019

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

That Italian Guy posted:

Anyone else experiencing weird "depth perception distortion" after spending some time in VR? I don't have locomotion sickness, but sometimes I get weirded out trying to put stuff close to my face in focus after playing for a while. I wear glasses inside the headset, if that makes any difference. It's nothing major (no dizziness or vertigo), just a weird feeling that something is "off".

I've never gotten that, but if I play Tetris or DDR for too long, my vision will start to pull downwards naturally as I stare at objects, and I'll see like a weird up and down movement even where it doesn't exist.

It wears off after you take a little break, so I figure can't be that bad, probably similar effect. Like how if you stare at a red light for awhile and then look away, everything looks green.

Just take breaks and don't spend too long in VR at one time.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
E: Agh, double post from website lagging

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

EbolaIvory posted:

I swear steam crashes itself to force updates as well. Like, Just say "hey we have to update now please". I've never had a crash, that didnt result in an update.

*Takes off tinfoil hat*

The "steam is updating" window shows up any time steam didn't exit 100% cleanly (a lot of the time, lol), as it uses the same window for just verifying files too, for some reason.

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

Truga posted:

The "steam is updating" window shows up any time steam didn't exit 100% cleanly (a lot of the time, lol), as it uses the same window for just verifying files too, for some reason.

How bout when it shows patch versions and what’s new pages?

That’s what I’m saying. Steamvr is the worst about it tho

SirViver
Oct 22, 2008

Shine posted:

H3VR's Take & Hold is fun as poo poo, goddamn.

Agreed! It does get a bit samey after a while, but you can always try different loadout modes of which each has a remarkably different playstyle. Can't wait for Anton to continue work on this mode, though what is IMO most needed is just some new environments.

Anyone else here who can't really get into ROTR :zombie: classic mode, or has any tips on how to make it actually fun? I admit I haven't really given it a honest just-fight-through-it maybe-it-gets-better try, but at least the beginning is just such a tedious slog. I think having a game that is all about guns and then adding a game mode where actually using guns is penalized is a really baffling design decision. I get that you're supposed to focus on melee, but... melee in H3 is kinda poo poo? It feels like swinging a nerf bat against oversized pool noodles. Also the relatively huge but largely empty environment coupled with very limited movement speed (barely adequate with armswinger) is decidedly meh. Maybe I'll just stick to arcade mode.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority

SirViver posted:

I get that you're supposed to focus on melee, but... melee in H3 is kinda poo poo? It feels like swinging a nerf bat against oversized pool noodles.

Yeah, the melee completely blows. It's like slapping around those weighted balloon things that stand back up. No sense of weight or impact; doesn't hold a candle to Blade & Sorcery or Gorn.

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽

EbolaIvory posted:

How bout when it shows patch versions and what’s new pages?

That’s what I’m saying. Steamvr is the worst about it tho

Are you on beta branch?

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

Harminoff posted:

Are you on beta branch?

I hop on and off depending on whats broken for LIV and such.

Currently running on non beta steamVR and non beta steam.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy
I finally got around to playing the free alpha Oculus Quest port of for Tea for God:

https://void-room.itch.io/tea-for-god

The redirected walking stuff is like magic. I have a pretty small living room and never ran out of space. Probably one of the cooler things to show off to people on the Quest too since you don't have to worry about them running into poo poo.

Paingod556
Nov 8, 2011

Not a problem, sir

Shine posted:

Yeah, the melee completely blows. It's like slapping around those weighted balloon things that stand back up. No sense of weight or impact; doesn't hold a candle to Blade & Sorcery or Gorn.

Do the Rangers quests to set the bear traps to get rifles. Then fuel the Swede's traps to get the chainsaw. Then proceed to snipe weiners, and if you start getting mobbed bring out the chainsaw.

Also I recommend buying the suppressor case from the gunstore store in Weinerton. Then you can shoot zombies without attracting attention. However I commonly run without one, you just have to decide if/when to start killing, and make sure you have enough ammo on hand, and a plan to escape if you get swarmed.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

SirViver posted:

Anyone else here who can't really get into ROTR :zombie: classic mode, or has any tips on how to make it actually fun? I admit I haven't really given it a honest just-fight-through-it maybe-it-gets-better try, but at least the beginning is just such a tedious slog. I think having a game that is all about guns and then adding a game mode where actually using guns is penalized is a really baffling design decision. I get that you're supposed to focus on melee, but... melee in H3 is kinda poo poo? It feels like swinging a nerf bat against oversized pool noodles. Also the relatively huge but largely empty environment coupled with very limited movement speed (barely adequate with armswinger) is decidedly meh. Maybe I'll just stick to arcade mode.

Stop trying to kill literally every zosig you see when exploring. Pick your targets, engage, and break off. Their vision is pretty crap, and you can just run past them without issue. Early on an easy way to kill'em is to plink them in the head to stun them, grab them, and pull their head off with your bare hands.

When you can reliably hit the Checkpoints for automatic weapons, THEN start picking off zosigs with impunity for their cores.

Paingod556 posted:

Do the Rangers quests to set the bear traps to get rifles. Then fuel the Swede's traps to get the chainsaw. Then proceed to snipe weiners, and if you start getting mobbed bring out the chainsaw.

Also I recommend buying the suppressor case from the gunstore store in Weinerton. Then you can shoot zombies without attracting attention. However I commonly run without one, you just have to decide if/when to start killing, and make sure you have enough ammo on hand, and a plan to escape if you get swarmed.

Get the Chainsaw ASAP. Aside from the Chainsaw being fantastic in close quarters (eg; The Church Basement, it makes dealing the green hive cores much less of a pain.

Paingod556
Nov 8, 2011

Not a problem, sir

I'll also add that if you come across the survivalist weiners (running around the lake, town and old town, firing unsilenced guns) they're a good distraction, as they'll kill a good number of zombies for you, and the noise will attract more. I've had zombies pass within a half metre of me and give zero fucks because they're going to get the noisemaker dammit.

At which point you bludgeon them to death.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Paingod556 posted:

I'll also add that if you come across the survivalist weiners (running around the lake, town and old town, firing unsilenced guns) they're a good distraction, as they'll kill a good number of zombies for you, and the noise will attract more. I've had zombies pass within a half metre of me and give zero fucks because they're going to get the noisemaker dammit.

At which point you bludgeon them to death.

If you look at the gap between the colossal walls on your left as you approach Downtown Wienerton from the big downhill slope out of The Silo, there's a little divot at the base of the hill to your left. Any time you hear gunfire in Downtown Wienerton, go check this spot. Chances are the ParaSigs spawned on the hill, shot a bunch of barfers and the football guys and there'll be a collection of 4-5+Juicy and Zippy cores sitting in that divot.

theBeaz
Jul 11, 2006

So based on a couple videos I found online, I modded my Rift S facemask to have soft leather instead of foam. The only folks I could find online that did the same thing used VRCover leather pads, but I used some cheaper (but seems to be nice quality) Vive pads off of Amazon.

I’m happy to share some screenshots and URLs if anyone wants to do the same thing.

It’s a nice improvement (no squishy/sweaty foam), comfortable, easy to clean, and most importantly it was super easy to do.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AC2pEkKc7WY

Lightgun VR Project coming along

Enemies now fire back, got some Superhot style slow moving lasers for you to limbo under. Also enemies drop their guns and fall over when shot.

All these assets are placeholders, and I found some store assets that will be just perfect when I'm ready to start building the actual levels, but still playing around with this little test shooting gallery for now.

Gonna work on gun animations and reloads next.

HarmB
Jun 19, 2006

theBeaz posted:

So based on a couple videos I found online, I modded my Rift S facemask to have soft leather instead of foam. The only folks I could find online that did the same thing used VRCover leather pads, but I used some cheaper (but seems to be nice quality) Vive pads off of Amazon.

I’m happy to share some screenshots and URLs if anyone wants to do the same thing.

It’s a nice improvement (no squishy/sweaty foam), comfortable, easy to clean, and most importantly it was super easy to do.

Interested, no one offers any replacements yet and the foam keeps me from using it more than it should

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao

Zaphod42 posted:

And here I thought I was clever for coming up with the idea of a VR hoverbike game where you actually lean to control the bike

And then I find V-Racer Hoverbike on steam

I'm a day late and a dollar short!

V-racer is cool and good... went from playing straddling an ottoman to collecting old motorcycle parts and cobbling together an adult hobby horse and the fun almost outweighs the shame :v:

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

theBeaz posted:

I always used the cheap amazon vive ones on my official rift vrcover velcro thing. They were just way more comfy.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Thoatse posted:

V-racer is cool and good... went from playing straddling an ottoman to collecting old motorcycle parts and cobbling together an adult hobby horse and the fun almost outweighs the shame :v:

Post ur rig

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Only shot I have is an early wip when I was working out initial kinematics and my living room is a right mess with a another rig behind it

I have an aluminum extrusion frame and it will rotate like a spit roast on pivots down the central tube, with limited range of motion like +/-10deg but with highish force. Handlebars are coupled to the tilt mechanism via pushrods/bellcrank at a 2:1 reduction and the pickup is a push/pull load cell with an elastomer bushings circuit similar to Fanatec csl lc pedal except goes both ways. Twist throttle on a pot and footbrake a load cell. Parts are ebay scores of FZR500 bits. Now that MXBikes is out, I'll complete the controls with clutch/brake levers, sequential foot shifter and possibly some kind of rocking-horse base to allow pulling up/pushing fwd.

It still needs a bunch of tinkering though the critical bits have been done but even on blocks making vroom vroom noises it's way funner than the ottoman. Yes I need to get a life.

theBeaz
Jul 11, 2006

Sigourney Cheevos posted:

Interested, no one offers any replacements yet and the foam keeps me from using it more than it should

I just made an Imgur galley with the step-by-step. See it here: https://imgur.com/gallery/SHko85Q

Go from this:

To this:

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pviv-GO4cGY

Awww yeah this is starting to feel good now

H3 I'm coming for you! (Realtalk I'll never be able to compete with H3's realism so I'm gonna focus on more cartoony guns and a wider variety of fantasy stuff)

Thoatse posted:

Only shot I have is an early wip when I was working out initial kinematics and my living room is a right mess with a another rig behind it

I have an aluminum extrusion frame and it will rotate like a spit roast on pivots down the central tube, with limited range of motion like +/-10deg but with highish force. Handlebars are coupled to the tilt mechanism via pushrods/bellcrank at a 2:1 reduction and the pickup is a push/pull load cell with an elastomer bushings circuit similar to Fanatec csl lc pedal except goes both ways. Twist throttle on a pot and footbrake a load cell. Parts are ebay scores of FZR500 bits. Now that MXBikes is out, I'll complete the controls with clutch/brake levers, sequential foot shifter and possibly some kind of rocking-horse base to allow pulling up/pushing fwd.

It still needs a bunch of tinkering though the critical bits have been done but even on blocks making vroom vroom noises it's way funner than the ottoman. Yes I need to get a life.

Holy gently caress that's cool!

I was actually considering something like that... but I already have a massive sim racing rig in my room ><

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Zaphod42 posted:

I was actually considering something like that... but I already have a massive sim racing rig in my room ><

I sort of have space in my living room

because my simracing setup is in my bedroom :negative:

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

That is siiiiick. Love it.

Yeah, my wife would kill me if I started making a riding rig to go with my sim racing rig

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

That is siiiiick. Love it.

Yeah, my wife would kill me if I started making a riding rig to go with my sim racing rig

You could always use the argument, "well, I could just a get a real motorcycle instead..."

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

Fuzz posted:

You could always use the argument, "well, I could just a get a real motorcycle instead..."

"You're right honey. I can keep a motorcycle in the garage easier."

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Moss is amazing and everyone should play it.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority

Zero VGS posted:

I finally got around to playing the free alpha Oculus Quest port of for Tea for God:

https://void-room.itch.io/tea-for-god

The redirected walking stuff is like magic. I have a pretty small living room and never ran out of space. Probably one of the cooler things to show off to people on the Quest too since you don't have to worry about them running into poo poo.

This is cool as poo poo! I just tried it on SteamVR/Index, and the illusion is really convincing. I know I was just crisscrossing around my space, but it felt like I was making my way around a tower or something, with just enough conveyors and such to break the tedium of hallways. I probably walked a quarter mile or so, just stepping around my area and shooting robots. Neat!

Luneshot
Mar 10, 2014

Alright, still pretty new to VR so this is going to be a dumb question.

Is there any trick to getting a headset to not slip without having it so tight that it gives me a headache? I wear glasses and I have a Rift S. I think the IPD range is fine (62) from my admittedly-rather-crude measurement with a ruler in the mirror. When I'm nudging the headset around on my face, there's a tiny spot where everything is clear, and I'd love to see everything in VR that way, but even the tiniest amount of slip from moving my head seems to degrade the view noticeably.

It stays on my face and doesn't feel like it's moving at all, but the "sweet spot" for the view not being slightly blurry seems pretty small, and I find myself adjusting the headset fairly regularly- mostly vertically, but sometimes horizontally. I've especially noticed it in H3VR, in that my dominant eye (right) is usually pretty blurry when I close my left eye to try and look down the iron sights. If I nudge the headset to the left, both eyes are sharp, but it doesn't stay there.

Apologies if this is an "explain like I'm five" level of simplicity, but any advice would be appreciated.

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

We need the equivalent of the shrimp = small pastry avatar, but for ambulances and their mysteries now.

Luneshot posted:

Alright, still pretty new to VR so this is going to be a dumb question.

Is there any trick to getting a headset to not slip without having it so tight that it gives me a headache? I wear glasses and I have a Rift S. I think the IPD range is fine (62) from my admittedly-rather-crude measurement with a ruler in the mirror. When I'm nudging the headset around on my face, there's a tiny spot where everything is clear, and I'd love to see everything in VR that way, but even the tiniest amount of slip from moving my head seems to degrade the view noticeably.

It stays on my face and doesn't feel like it's moving at all, but the "sweet spot" for the view not being slightly blurry seems pretty small, and I find myself adjusting the headset fairly regularly- mostly vertically, but sometimes horizontally. I've especially noticed it in H3VR, in that my dominant eye (right) is usually pretty blurry when I close my left eye to try and look down the iron sights. If I nudge the headset to the left, both eyes are sharp, but it doesn't stay there.

Apologies if this is an "explain like I'm five" level of simplicity, but any advice would be appreciated.

I have an old Rift, so I can use the physical slide to regulate the vertical IPD range; once that is set, it stays on focus. Horizontal is the main issue, as the headset will move around a bit and I'll start losing horizontal focus after a while as well. Not sure if there is anything to do for that, unless you want to swap your native foam with something that has more grip (like the leather things someone was discussing a few posts ago). Note that VR graphics are going to be...blurrier than a regular screen no matter what; but I don't have major issues even with a rather loose headset, so maybe the shape of your head is also relevant to the process.

tl;dr: get a new head :v:

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

https://www.macrumors.com/2019/11/04/apple-has-partnered-with-valve-ar-headset/?utm_source=share&utm_medium=ios_app&utm_name=iossmf

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

We need the equivalent of the shrimp = small pastry avatar, but for ambulances and their mysteries now.

At the time, Gurman said Apple had not finalized how users would control the headset, but possibilities included touchscreens

Ah yeah, love my augmented reality to be finger-grease tinted.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

My own interpretation is that Apple noticed AR is still too far away to offer a good, solid, polished product, usable in the real world, which is why their team was disbanded. A partnership with Valve makes sense because if even it's done in collaboration between the two, it will be released under Valve's name so the expectations of what a iProduct has to be quality wise won't be there.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Turin Turambar posted:

My own interpretation is that Apple noticed AR is still too far away to offer a good, solid, polished product, usable in the real world, which is why their team was disbanded. A partnership with Valve makes sense because if even it's done in collaboration between the two, it will be released under Valve's name so the expectations of what a iProduct has to be quality wise won't be there.

My guess is they're cribbing off whatever's useful from the SteamVR API for tracking purposes, and standardizing against it for software at the same time.

Maaaybe setting it up to tether to PC like the Quest will soon do.

Tatsuta Age
Apr 21, 2005

so good at being in trouble

Yeah when is Oculus link releasing anyway

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009
I think "November" is still the most specific date we've got.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Fuzz posted:

Lmao I have 4 real motorcycles in my garage already, a fake one in our media room would be pushing it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SirViver
Oct 22, 2008
So, I gave ROTR normal mode another go and... it's getting better. Though I still think the early game is complete rear end, with the main hurdle being the acquisition of a worthwhile melee weapon. In that regard the power tool in particular has been a godsend, as it does reliable damage without the whole flailing around and hoping that the physics RNG god is on your side today aspect. Usually in RPGs I like the initial "struggle phase" the most, but for some reason here it just feels like a chore. I'm now also switching between armswinger and teleport depending on the situation (as twin stick is just too nerfed speedwise in this mode), where the former gives you relatively tolerable smooth locomotion for combat with more than enough "oh poo poo must run away" speed in a pinch, and the latter allowing you to traverse the vast emptiness of the map at a reasonable pace (without exhausting yourself) if you stretch out your arms and spam the movement buttons.

Does anyone here actually make use of the crafting systems? I find they're a novel experience exactly once but then it quickly becomes clear why every modern crafting system is more or less just a button that checks for the necessary ingredients being present in your inventory. Puking up items and shoving them in a box (if they didn't roll through some cracks in the floor - not every location has a puke bucket) just isn't very engaging gameplay IMO. Having to set up the grill for the sausages afterwards just makes for even more busywork. The bangers also seem like comparatively too much work for too little payoff, especially considering you can instead just do a quest and get the 40mm underbarrel grenade launcher, which is infinitely more useful and carry-space-efficient than any IED you can come up with. Sure part of that quest also takes place in a "dangerous" area, but all that danger is negated by simply running fast and ignoring everything else.

In general I feel ROTR has a lot of game systems or design decisions that are just not that interesting (after the first few times of using it) and waste your time for no or too little benefit. See: crafting, dialogue options requiring to be listened to the end to trigger their effect, at times being too much of a walking simulator, etc. Also the new tutorial that moved the teleporter to the top floor in the starting building seems like something that was done for development convenience without a second thought about the consequences for the player. These aren't necessarily huge issues individually, but all taken together the ratio of actually interesting things to time wasters just seems a bit off.

On a completely different note, if you have Index controllers and easily get sweaty hands, disposable latex or nitrile gloves do a very good job of keeping the controllers functional and frustration down. On mine even very little amounts of sweat cause phantom "pull" (i.e. finger proximity) to be reported, which in H3VR results in you not being able to drop stuff you're holding, no matter how quick or wide you open your palm - sometimes you can literally shake your hand with completely outstreched fingers and it still won't let go. Especially recommended when handling explosives :v:

SirViver fucked around with this message at 19:28 on Nov 4, 2019