Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Serf
May 5, 2011

sitchensis posted:

wait, what?

jeffrey wright's gold mine

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
and also, of course, he hates Bernie Sanders. Duh.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Hannibal Buress times a thousand

A Gnarlacious Bro
Apr 25, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Akon owns a diamond mine

Kunster
Dec 24, 2006

Yes, a gold mine!

One of the oddest things with prestige tv here is telenovelas, at least thr biggest ones, starting to get similiar structures and plot beats, while still being treated as telenovelas. So while you get more professional lighting, elaborate camera shots, more morally gray characters and the such, you still have to get nearly plot breaking c-plots about grandmas discussing life matters, tech-savvyness stuck somewhere mid 1980's and magazines spoiling months ahead story beats and actors straight up talking their entire character arc on the news program.

sitchensis
Mar 4, 2009

quote:

Does it keep you up at night, I asked, the thought that you might be engaging in a kinder, gentler form of exploitation?

“No, it doesn’t. What does keep me up at night is meeting our payroll.”

Ah, so Jeffrey Wright is a psychopathic ghoul. Awesome.

whaley
Aug 13, 2000

MY DOODOO IS SPRAYING OUT
have yall heard of the newly advertised thing

Doktor Avalanche
Dec 30, 2008

sitchensis posted:

Does it keep you up at night, I asked, the thought that you might be engaging in a kinder, gentler form of exploitation?

“Doesn't look like anything to me.”

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

sitchensis posted:

Ah, so Jeffrey Wright is a psychopathic ghoul. Awesome.

no wonder he plays a CIA agent so well

Okuteru
Nov 10, 2007

Choose this life you're on your own

gradenko_2000 posted:

Hannibal Buress times a thousand

I didn't see that one coming. Shame since he associates with Eric Andre, who is really Leftist.

sitchensis
Mar 4, 2009

Doctor Jeep posted:

“Doesn't look like anything to me.”

I wonder if it has ever crossed Jeffrey Wright's mind the parallels between his job acting as one of the primary architects of a business that forces sentient beings to toil endlessly in an inhuman system to please the whims of rich people and his other job which is literally the exact same thing.

sitchensis has issued a correction as of 20:53 on Oct 31, 2019

MokBa
Jun 8, 2006

If you see something suspicious, bomb it!

Forceholy posted:

I didn't see that one coming. Shame since he associates with Eric Andre, who is really Leftist.

And Eric Andre's ex is currently dating Cory Booker, who is peak Liberalism. Maybe he scares his friends away from leftism.

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos

MokBa posted:

And Eric Andre's ex is currently dating Cory Booker, who is peak Liberalism. Maybe he scares his friends away from leftism.

If his appearance on the Action Bronson Ancient Aliens show is anything to go by, I can see why.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/shujaxhaider/status/1190043786019246080

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

MokBa posted:

lmao at Cory Booker being Eskimo Brothers with Eric now.

It's natural that Eric Andre would support Bernie's bird up campaign platform.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Forceholy posted:

what shocks me is Hannibal talked about being a Chicago landlord on a podcast episode over two years ago and nobody bothered to dig up the relevant information until he wanted people to donate to an Illinois landlord lobbying group

i listened to that clip, and it is baaaaaad. as someone who lived in a building owned by a guy who was big into Airbnb scams, i will do my best to be the first one to put Hannibal against the wall

Serf
May 5, 2011

gonna drop this stuff here too

the harriet tubman movie is apparently pretty vile and is whitewashing history is the worst loving way

https://twitter.com/RickyRawls/status/1190078155899514880?s=20

from the replies, it appears that the reviews are just as loving stupid

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

get that OUT of my face posted:

what shocks me is Hannibal talked about being a Chicago landlord on a podcast episode over two years ago and nobody bothered to dig up the relevant information until he wanted people to donate to an Illinois landlord lobbying group

i listened to that clip, and it is baaaaaad. as someone who lived in a building owned by a guy who was big into Airbnb scams, i will do my best to be the first one to put Hannibal against the wall

I choose to ignore Hannibal Buress's crimes until the revolution comes.

Planters didn't have to repress jack poo poo. That was the whole point of being the master.

Serf
May 5, 2011

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

Planters didn't have to repress jack poo poo. That was the whole point of being the master.

i think the issue is with the word "love" as some reviews are basically saying that he is in love with tubman and this confuses him

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

im more alarmed by the black slave hunter i mean why not just add in a subplot about happy slaves defending the farm from northern aggression while youre at it

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Serf posted:

i think the issue is with the word "love" as some reviews are basically saying that he is in love with tubman and this confuses him

Planters loved their slaves all the time, but it was a very sick and perverted kind of paternalistic love that could only happen between people when one person holds absolute power over the other. That's what I mean about them never having to repress themselves. They were completely open & honest about it. Disgustingly so. They loved nothing more than writing at length about their experiences & insights into living, because they thought it elevated themselves in the tradition of occidental civilzation.

And the funny thing is, they weren't even wrong.

I guess what I'm saying is: if you want to understand the slaveocracy then you have to start with freedmen narratives and work your way back from there to what the planters wrote about themselves. But the people who made the Tubman movie didn't do any of that, or else they'd recognize they were staging a farce.

Some Guy TT posted:

im more alarmed by the black slave hunter i mean why not just add in a subplot about happy slaves defending the farm from northern aggression while youre at it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UbKLM75YpnA

Pener Kropoopkin has issued a correction as of 12:54 on Nov 1, 2019

Serf
May 5, 2011

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

Planters loved their slaves all the time, but it was a very sick and perverted kind of paternalistic love that could only happen between people when one person holds absolute power over the other. That's what I mean about them never having to repress themselves. They were completely open & honest about it. Disgustingly so. They loved nothing more than writing at length about their experiences & insights into living, because they thought it elevated themselves in the tradition of occidental civilzation.

they loved them in the same way that i loved my tamagotchi as a kid. its not love in any real sense, its being protective of your property (from their perspective ofc). the fact that a modern day reviewer has confused what slaveowners claimed they were doing with what they were actually doing is both astounding and sadly predictable

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Serf posted:

they loved them in the same way that i loved my tamagotchi as a kid. its not love in any real sense, its being protective of your property (from their perspective ofc). the fact that a modern day reviewer has confused what slaveowners claimed they were doing with what they were actually doing is both astounding and sadly predictable

Without seeing it myself, it doesn't seem like the reviewer is confused - it's what the movie wants them to think.

Serf
May 5, 2011

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

Without seeing it myself, it doesn't seem like the reviewer is confused - it's what the movie wants them to think.

they're confused in the sense that they should be able to see through the movie's bullshit but they're not

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
spoilers for Jack Ryan:

"The end of #JackRyan is premised on the Venezuelan leader being a right wing pawn of a U.S. Senator and American business interests and the CIA being the pro-democracy pro left wing force."

https://twitter.com/NathanTankus/status/1190423112107667459

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
Jacobin's 2016 "The CIA is Not Your Friend" piece did try to unpack the squishy liberal CIA aesthetic, and it's something that's been on my mind a lot for a while when I consider Hollywood's handling of espionage in the past decade.

Amazon's Jack Ryan is Peak Liberal CIA from what I gathered from osmosis.

As far as I know, there's no TV tropes article (lol people still use that site?) about it.

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos

gradenko_2000 posted:

spoilers for Jack Ryan:

"The end of #JackRyan is premised on the Venezuelan leader being a right wing pawn of a U.S. Senator and American business interests and the CIA being the pro-democracy pro left wing force."

https://twitter.com/NathanTankus/status/1190423112107667459

This just solidifies my theory that next season is going to be a romantic tragedy between Jack and a YPJ badass he isn't able to save

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

MizPiz posted:

This just solidifies my theory that next season is going to be a romantic tragedy between Jack and a YPJ badass he isn't able to save

poo poo with recent developments you're probably dead on

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

im having trouble deciding if this is because they assumed venezuela would have been couped by now when they made the script or if they assumed venezuela wouldnt have been couped by now and that they thought this would be a logical real world analogy since the terms left wing and right wing mean roughly the same thing to horseshoe theory liberals

Rated PG-34
Jul 1, 2004

The Lighthouse is p good. I seen it, yer fond of me lobster!

hallebarrysoetoro
Jun 14, 2003
i wonder what the odds are that the anti-capitalist wunderkind lodge 49 will be picked up anywhere lol :(

Fat-Lip-Sum-41.mp3
Nov 15, 2003

Rated PG-34 posted:

The Lighthouse is p good. I seen it, yer fond of me lobster!

The isn't The Lighthouse. It's a couple of dudes! Is that what she wanted to go for???

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

https://twitter.com/brownblaze/status/1190375050437779457?s=20

coathat
May 21, 2007

All the stuff from that movie has been very funny

coathat
May 21, 2007

All the stuff from that movie has been very funny

Farm Frenzy
Jan 3, 2007

bigger long

refleks
Nov 21, 2006

Percelus posted:

so now that i understand twin peaks, was i really not supposed to like the dougie parts of season 3 the most? dougie jones was 100% the star of the return

who the gently caress doesnt like dougie. i will fight them

Organic Lube User
Apr 15, 2005

The last episode of The Good Place went pretty hard on the Boomers, it was nice.

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

This displeases Dev- ..van. Shut up.

hallebarrysoetoro posted:

i wonder what the odds are that the anti-capitalist wunderkind lodge 49 will be picked up anywhere lol :(

Watching it now on Hulu. Dear god, how did I just hear about this?

Also, thanks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rated PG-34
Jul 1, 2004

I stopped watching the good place after it went from capitalism means no one is morally good to world is too complicated for anyone to be morally good