Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

AbsoluteLlama posted:

I've never used the Alice so I don't know. It'll be hard to find curved keyboard like the sculpt that takes switches, except maybe building a dactyl variant, although those are more like maltrons/kinesis.

If you want lower travel take a look at Kailh speeds. They have both lower travel and actuation distance. Something like a Kailh Choc may be closer to a sculpt, but you will more or less have to build a custom board since the switch footprint is different.

Switch testers are okay but it's very difficult to really judge a switch without actually using it on a keyboard. Most cheap hotswaps are either Outemu only, and/or don't work with pcb mount switches. If the board isn't PCB mount compatible, it means you have to clip the legs off your switches with a flush cutter before they will fit.

If you can find a UT47.2 somewhere for $40-50 it has Kailh hotswaps (should be compatible with all/most MX switches) and PCB mount holes, and it will run QMK. It's a really nice tiny keyboard that you can just throw in a small backpack.

Thanks for this!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
I did 2 reviews of my new keyboards people may find interesting:
AJAZZ AK510 Retro
Unbox: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tlY72yPfF3E Review: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YmZgZwn-L70

Akko Ocean Star SP
Unbox: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nrFeHTrpkEA&t=1s Review: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bKR8cBhzpVo

AbsoluteLlama
Aug 15, 2009

By the power vested in me by random musings in tmt... I proclaim you guilty of crustophilia!

LionArcher posted:

Thanks for this!

To clarify: You only have to cut the legs off of PCB mount switches. Sometimes those are the only ones available.

Exit Strategy
Dec 10, 2010

by sebmojo
With my newfound powers of Made A Solder Stencil, I'm nearly ready for primetime on making my keyboards a large-scale thing.

Tomorrow, I try upgrading my last Mk. 0 unit to a Mk. 3.

TacticalHoodie
May 7, 2007

Is there any benefit to custom keyboard cables or are they just so they like look cooler in pictures? I can't justify spending 100+ dollars Canadian on a cable with a aviator connector for aesthetics if there is no performance improvement.

Exit Strategy
Dec 10, 2010

by sebmojo
Even keyboards running on usb-c for their physical layer are running USB 2.0. There's no performance improvement in weird-,rear end cables.

Constellation I
Apr 3, 2005
I'm a sucker, a little fucker.

Whiskey A Go Go! posted:

Is there any benefit to custom keyboard cables or are they just so they like look cooler in pictures? I can't justify spending 100+ dollars Canadian on a cable with a aviator connector for aesthetics if there is no performance improvement.

No benefit whatsoever other than aesthetics. If you really wanted one, it's cheaper to make your own.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
I thought I was in the headphone thread for a moment. USB cables can never do anything other than either %100 work or fail.

TacticalHoodie
May 7, 2007

redeyes posted:

I thought I was in the headphone thread for a moment. USB cables can never do anything other than either %100 work or fail.

That is what I thought. I got a para-cable for my Rival 310 mouse and I saw that people were going ape poo poo on a keyboard discord that I didn't have the cable matching my keyboard one, which is the normal black usb c cable from Ducky. I figured custom cables were the spinner rims or anime titty statues of keyboards, but I did not think people took it so seriously.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

People pay $100+ for keycaps to make their keyboards pretty, they take this poo poo seriously.

Also I'm super tempted to try to sell typistryphile grade cables now.

TacticalHoodie
May 7, 2007

ItBreathes posted:

People pay $100+ for keycaps to make their keyboards pretty, they take this poo poo seriously.

Also I'm super tempted to try to sell typistryphile grade cables now.

I could just buy blank key caps, write "gently caress You" on them and sell them as Artisan on reddit and make tens of dollars.

Constellation I
Apr 3, 2005

Whiskey A Go Go! posted:

I could just buy blank key caps, write "gently caress You" on them and sell them as Artisan on reddit and make tens of dollars.

Nah, not gonna sell unless you go through the bother of having it dye subbed, PBT and with the correct profile. Sorry friend, this hobby is a money sinkhole, but a very picky audience.

TacticalHoodie
May 7, 2007

Constellation I posted:

Nah, not gonna sell unless you go through the bother of having it dye subbed, PBT and with the correct profile. Sorry friend, this hobby is a money sinkhole, but a very picky audience.

You weren't kidding.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FSBFCx59fF8

$900 for a full custom keyboard. I'll just "endgame" with my Crtl and Gateron Reds.

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

redeyes posted:

There’s a few reasons to buy a not basic cable; but none are about signal. I’ve got some that work like Apple MagSafe so I can easily swap boards, and getting the ones with cloth on the outside are a bit easier to wrap.

Otherwise yeah a cable is a cable.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Whiskey A Go Go! posted:

You weren't kidding.

$900 for a full custom keyboard. I'll just "endgame" with my Crtl and Gateron Reds.

Imagine doing all that work for linear switches.

internet celebrity
Jun 23, 2006

College Slice
But linear switches are the best.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

EVGA Longoria posted:

Otherwise yeah a cable is a cable.
Not specific to keyboards, there is a large range of quality available in all cable types. Even if you assume they are all perfectly good signal wise (for USB 2 is probably not hard to meet that), there will be differences in materials, construction, thickness, flexibility, and resilience.

But, yeah, if it works, it works and will be fully functional. The benefits are entirely physical/asthetic after you hit 'functional'. Do you need a USB cable with insulation that resists chemicals? Does it need to flex and not crack at -40 degrees? Probably not, but I'm sure you can buy those.

taqueso fucked around with this message at 19:38 on Nov 1, 2019

Exit Strategy
Dec 10, 2010

by sebmojo

Whiskey A Go Go! posted:

You weren't kidding.

It cost me maybe a thousand bucks total to develop my boards... But I one-stepped my way to endgame.

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

Whiskey A Go Go! posted:

You weren't kidding.

Try $2,000+ for a limited edition keyboard: https://youtu.be/FMXIV_LkEqA

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

Okay, Newest idea. A mass drop control keyboard, and gateron clear switches? Will the control hot swap with those type switches. The fact that the clears are only 35 grams is super sexy to me. Though this isn’t cheap to do :(

Constellation I
Apr 3, 2005
Yup, they'll swap in fine. Gaterons are super cheap. I don't particularly like linears, especially light linears so the Gat Clears are totally out for me, but you never know until you try.

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

Let's get a little crazy. Let's have some fun.
I have finally set up a keyboard for work to put aside the default Dell chiclet one (which actually isn't terrible but anyway). There's kind of a don't ask/don't tell thing about people bringing their own keyboards in (none of the sanctioned ergo options really grab me), so I had to think about how to dress it down.

A while back I'd picked up a set of Winmix grey on grey keycaps in DSA because I'm all about flat profiles after getting accustomed to the XDA Canvas set.

So I just needed a keyboard to put them in. Today the Durgod Taurus K310 with Cherry Browns (I would've preferred Clears but anyway) finally turned up - decent price, build seems solid. While the factory caps were OK, I swapped those out immediately. I did appreciate that the big keys don't use bar stabilisers but rather have extra stems, so that saved a lot of time in the swap. Probably the cheapest keyboard/cap combination I've put together too.

Crappy phone pic. It looks boring as hell because it's supposed to look boring as hell.

The cap set included a red Esc key but I reckon even that's too showy for work, so I used a grey blank for the corner. It really suits the case colour well, it's all nice and stealthy (although noticeably different from the Dell) and hopefully the **KLACK** doesn't give the game away.

Constellation I
Apr 3, 2005
To be fair, the rubber domes that comes with most Dell workstations (non-chiclet ones) are pretty loving loud on their own depending on someone's typing style.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
Chiclet rubber domes are the worst keyboards I have ever had the displeasure of touching, bar none.

Chiclet scissor keys are cool and good though.

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!
I bought the extremely cheap Tomoko I-500 almost two years ago and I've been thinking about getting a proper-er keyboard with silent switches for almost as long. I am completely overwhelmed by options, though. The only thing I know is I don't want a full-sized keyboard anymore. Not sure if I should go 60% or even less. I don't type a lot, game quite a bit. I probably don't give a poo poo about backlight. I love the way SA caps look but mind I've never used them so I might actually hate using them. I don't like cases with visible switches. I like classic and old-school colors.

Is there any keeb/diy kit that is versatile enough and might allow me to switch lets say from regular to ortho if I want to try it out? I don't have soldereing iron and haven't decided on switches yet so I'll probably need to try a few. I like the way HHKB Type-S sounds or some of the lubed, silenced ones on Taeha Types' channel but I don't know if I like linear or tactile. The Tomoko has some blue clones and that at least made me realize I don't want clicky switches.

Also I'm from EU so that sucks for keyboard buying I'm finding.

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

If you like the HHKB S, take a look at Niz keebs like the Micro 82 since they use clones of those Topre switches but for much less. I like that 75% layout for gaming, since it has function keys in a compact layout, along with full nav key. I just bought a second Micro 82 for home use, bringing the number of Niz boards I've bought in 10 months to 3. The have an Atom 68 as well, which is that same board without the function keys (65% layout).

Here's a gaming focused review of an earlier Niz: https://www.mmorpg.com/hardware-reviews/plum-niz-keyboard-micro84-ec-review-an-incredibly-light-and-fast-choice-for-gamers-1000012986

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

you stupid fuck!
That looks pretty good for a clone though I'm always wary of those... From what I can tell, the Micro 82 has the most normal layout, right? Atom 66 has some rare keycap sizes which I want to avoid.

The Claptain
May 11, 2014

Grimey Drawer

Constellation I posted:

To be fair, the rubber domes that comes with most Dell workstations (non-chiclet ones) are pretty loving loud on their own depending on someone's typing style.

My coworker next to me is typing on some Logitech rubber dome and it's way louder than my Leopold with MX clears.

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

lordfrikk posted:

That looks pretty good for a clone though I'm always wary of those... From what I can tell, the Micro 82 has the most normal layout, right? Atom 66 has some rare keycap sizes which I want to avoid.

Yeah, exactly: go for the Micro 82 or the Atom 68. I have an Atom 66 and the shared right shift/up arrow key can also be a bit annoying - turns out I have a learned bad habit of leaning on my modifier keys when I'm thinking. The Micro 84 has nonstandard key sizes as well, you want the 82.

Here's my very lengthy effort post on these Niz keebs, made before the Atom 68 came out: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3825351&userid=186246#post497954543

I've become a bit of fan of these lately and have neglected my 2 ortho split keyboards because I like the feel of these switches so much. Dream keyboard for me right now would be an ortho split keyboard with Nopre or Topre switches.

v1ld fucked around with this message at 12:35 on Nov 6, 2019

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

you stupid fuck!
Thank you for the reply and exhaustive write-up. Since I have family in China I will grab it directly from Taobao and that makes the price nigh unbeatable considering how much it seems to fit my very vague requirements. I'm glad I asked here because the NIZ keyboards somehow flew under my (admittedly very spotty) radar.

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib
I got a Keychron K2 with Browns to try out; to see if I want to go back to having a proper keyboard again after a long time programming on my MBP. Long story short, while the K2 is far from perfect as mechanical keyboards go it has made my MBP keyboard feel like mush comparatively. So obviously I'm now a MECHANICAL KEYBOARD guy and I need to start chasing the dragon of the perfect keyboard.

The problem is that I kind of want to build a split / ergo layout keyboard with clear keys but I cant find ergo PCB/s which support an ISO layout. Any suggestions?

Constellation I
Apr 3, 2005
I suggest maybe stepping back a bit instead of diving into the hobby head first with Ergo's.

Quick questions would, would you even like an ergo layout? You may also not like MX Clears despite the fanfare for them. There's a reason why switches like Zealios and MOD and all a bunch of tactile switches took off, which was Clears were a touch too heavy and scratchy and they were designed to improve on that.

But gently caress it, though, you won't know until you try. keeb.io is a good site to get started on building ergo boards. I don't think they have ISO options for their split keyboards though.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

So a while back I got a Corsair mechanical keyboard as my first mechanical keyboard, but after realizing how dramatically better mechanical keyboards are I decided to look more seriously for another one. I ended up getting the Massdrop CTRL because I really wanted the hot swap ability (since I want the ability to try different switches without soldering and stuff) and also generally really like its aesthetics and solid build (it strikes a good balance where it's not too plain/boring but also isn't tacky).

The thing I like most about this keyboard are the Halo True switches I ordered it with. I like them way more than the Cherry MX Reds my other keyboard has. The thing I like most about them is that they have a really high force to bottom out (100gf). It causes it to feel like the keys are pushing my fingers back up after each press. It is extremely pleasant when combined with the tactile bump. I'm really happy I ended up choosing these switches, though I'll still experiment with others in the future.

edit: I also ordered some white HyperX double shot keycaps, since I read they work well with the RGB lighting. This is definitely true; it's amazing how colorful this thing can get. It's amazing how much higher quality these keycaps are than the ones on keys I've always used in the past. The keycaps that came with the CTRL were also nice; they have this rough sorta feel to them, but I prefer the feel and look of these double shots (I like white in general for computer peripherals).

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 22:51 on Nov 9, 2019

OtherworldlyInvader
Feb 10, 2005

The X-COM project did not deliver the universe's ultimate cup of coffee. You have failed to save the Earth.

I broke my Rosewill 9000BR with MX Browns like an idiot by spilling juice on it, and a couple attempts to clean it have still left it feeling sticky/crunchy. I was going to buy the updated model of the same thing to replace it but figured I should check in here to see if there's better options around the $75 price point. I like plain aesthetics, though I have some beige and grey color custom key-caps I'd like to reuse.

HappyCapybaraFamily
Sep 16, 2009

Roger Baolong Thunder Dragon has been fascinated by this sophisticated and scientifically beautiful industry since childhood, and has shown his talent in the design and manufacture of watches.
If you're willing to stretch your budget by $5, this iKBC CD108 could be a good option.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

HappyCapybaraFamily posted:

If you're willing to stretch your budget by $5, this iKBC CD108 could be a good option.

Agreed. The iKbc is a great keyboard. The rosewill is a bit eh.

OtherworldlyInvader
Feb 10, 2005

The X-COM project did not deliver the universe's ultimate cup of coffee. You have failed to save the Earth.

What all makes it better? The full n-key rollover over usb? Build quality?

Pretty Cool Name
Jan 8, 2010

wat

Ordered a Vortex RACE 3 PBT with cherry reds. Hoping I made a good choice, the layout seems pretty perfect for me.

Pretty Cool Name fucked around with this message at 16:45 on Nov 11, 2019

Exit Strategy
Dec 10, 2010

by sebmojo
Designing a 131-key board for a friend. Anybody want one when they're done?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mewse
May 2, 2006

Exit Strategy posted:

Designing a 131-key board for a friend. Anybody want one when they're done?

Whats the layout? It's not ortholinear is it?