Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

power botton posted:

yeah I dont see how migrating the actual domain is hard. merging a companies IT resources and all that risk is a real issue and involves the business but standing up a new domain and trust is clicking next like 10 times and changing some samaccountnames. worst case scenario just rely on sid history and wide open trusts.

well, sid history only works as long as the original domain is online, so there's that

at no point did i say it was hard, i said it was expensive. which it is, because it's time consuming to do right. but yes, if you handwave all the complexity of doing it in a live environment with an active business, it's actually very simple and probably anyone could do it essentially for free.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

power botton
Nov 2, 2011

infernal machines posted:

well, sid history only works as long as the original domain is online, so there's that

at no point did i say it was hard, i said it was expensive. which it is, because it's time consuming to do right. but yes, if you handwave all the complexity of doing it in a live environment with an active business, it's actually very simple and probably anyone could do it essentially for free.

so you agree it's all people problems and from a technical perspective its pretty easy.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
yes, was that in question?

i have no idea what set off y'alls pedant sense about an anecdote regarding how single label domains are hosed and costly to fix

infernal machines fucked around with this message at 02:57 on Nov 2, 2019

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

arguing directory

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

power botton posted:

worst case scenario just rely on sid history and wide open trusts.
lol you don't know poo poo

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

idk why but it's kinda funny that you can grab the ntds.dit file from a DC, mount it with dsamain and then just bind via LDAP (using ldp or ldifde is easiest) to see basically all objects and attributes (not passwords though). you'd think there'd be some kind of mechanism to protect it so that it won't work on a device other than the DC.

power botton
Nov 2, 2011

evil_bunnY posted:

lol you don't know poo poo

how won't that work? let me just pick a random application you would have to migrate. Exchange?

here's how you migrate exchange:

sid history and trusts.

it works 100% of the time

infernal machines posted:

yes, was that in question?

i have no idea what set off y'alls pedant sense about an anecdote regarding how single label domains are hosed and costly to fix

im just trying to clear up some misconceptions re: "costly" migrations

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Pile Of Garbage posted:

idk why but it's kinda funny that you can grab the ntds.dit file from a DC, mount it with dsamain and then just bind via LDAP (using ldp or ldifde is easiest) to see basically all objects and attributes (not passwords though). you'd think there'd be some kind of mechanism to protect it so that it won't work on a device other than the DC.

it's just a database file after all. it does contain password hashes too, so if you've got that, you've got the domain

power botton posted:

im just trying to clear up some misconceptions re: "costly" migrations

well thank goodness you were here to set everyone straight.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

given that sid history filter disabling isn't even strictly necessary depending on use case, lol

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...
From the grey forums

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Volmarias posted:

From the grey forums

The real story here is that people still post interesting stuff in SH/SC

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Remember how hackers had stolen the NordVPN crypto keys? Predictably, passwords have begun appearing.

EDIT: ⇓ Yup, you're absolutely right. I hecked up.

BlankSystemDaemon fucked around with this message at 19:54 on Nov 2, 2019

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

D. Ebdrup posted:

Remember how hackers had stolen the OpenVPN crypto keys? Predictably, passwords have begun appearing.

nordvpn, not just openvpn in general

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Volmarias posted:

From the grey forums

giggling about how the tweeter thinks they're "posting as a google group" when that's still just a usenet thing that google groups is showing them

James Baud
May 24, 2015

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

fishmech posted:

giggling about how the tweeter thinks they're "posting as a google group" when that's still just a usenet thing that google groups is showing them

It gets worse:

https://twitter.com/isislovecruft/status/1189645628973797376?s=19

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

hmm, yes, that is indeed some impressive digging uncovering that slack

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

D. Ebdrup posted:

Remember how hackers had stolen the NordVPN crypto keys? Predictably, passwords have begun appearing.

EDIT: ⇓ Yup, you're absolutely right. I hecked up.

That's just credential stuffing though.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

spankmeister posted:

That's just credential stuffing though.
Still,I might've hoped that people who wanted to hide stuff might want to put in the slightest amount of effort.

quote:

In some cases, they’re the string of characters to the left of the @ sign in the email address. In other cases, they’re words found in most dictionaries. Others appear to be surnames, sometimes with two or three numbers tacked onto the end.
Then again, it's never a good idea to hope.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

D. Ebdrup posted:

Still,I might've hoped that people who wanted to hide stuff might want to put in the slightest amount of effort.

Then again, it's never a good idea to hope.

lets be real, people mainly use vpn's to pirate poo poo

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Volmarias posted:

From the grey forums

I have a delightful piece of code to share from a recent engagement. I'll post it later.

Preview: It uses a Caesar Cipher to "encrypt" passwords.

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

Well as a hacker I would never guess that

toiletbrush
May 17, 2010
How much of a secfuck is it to roll your own MFA? Specifically when the first factor (username/password) is provided by an established auth provider and you're adding your own time-based OTP afterwards.

My instincts are that it's a terrible idea for a bunch of reasons, especially given our auth provider fully supports all sorts of MFA implementations, but my imposter syndrome is kicking in hard right now. Is it fundamentally wrong for the same reasons as rolling your own crypto? Or just a bit of a waste of time if someone's done the work for you?

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill

toiletbrush posted:

How much of a secfuck is it to roll your own MFA? Specifically when the first factor (username/password) is provided by an established auth provider and you're adding your own time-based OTP afterwards.

My instincts are that it's a terrible idea for a bunch of reasons, especially given our auth provider fully supports all sorts of MFA implementations, but my imposter syndrome is kicking in hard right now. Is it fundamentally wrong for the same reasons as rolling your own crypto? Or just a bit of a waste of time if someone's done the work for you?

totp is crypto. that should be all you need to know

mystes
May 31, 2006

toiletbrush posted:

I don't understand if you're saying you're just using an existing TOTP implementation (not rolling your own crypto so it's OK) or you're literally rolling your own TOTP style protocol (bad).

Also it's not clear exactly how you're adding "your own time-based OTP afterwards" to a "first factor... provided by an established auth provider" but you're using some sort of identity federation service to allow users to log in to a website and just adding an additional TOTP step that doesn't seem inherently problematic but if this is what you mean I'm not sure I understand the point of allowing users to reuse accounts from another service (which is usually intended as a convenience) and trusting that service for authentication but them forcing them to have an additional TOTP secret specifically for your site (or whatever it is). At this point it seems like you should just make the users log in to your site directly.

Unless I'm misunderstanding what you mean by "auth provider"?

mystes fucked around with this message at 14:10 on Nov 3, 2019

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

toiletbrush posted:

totp isn't too bad, it requires you to hold the totp secret (keep it next to the bcrypt'd password), have a sync'd clock (ntp), and run sha-1 a bunch of times

use a library, it's easy

toiletbrush
May 17, 2010

mystes posted:

I don't understand if you're saying you're just using an existing TOTP implementation (not rolling your own crypto so it's OK) or you're literally rolling your own TOTP style protocol (bad).

Also it's not clear exactly how you're adding "your own time-based OTP afterwards" to a "first factor... provided by an established auth provider" but you're using some sort of identity federation service to allow users to log in to a website and just adding an additional TOTP step that doesn't seem inherently problematic but if this is what you mean I'm not sure I understand the point of allowing users to reuse accounts from another service (which is usually intended as a convenience) and trusting that service for authentication but them forcing them to have an additional TOTP secret specifically for your site (or whatever it is). At this point it seems like you should just make the users log in to your site directly.

Unless I'm misunderstanding what you mean by "auth provider"?
We have our own TOTP implementation that a seperate part of the org are writing themselves for their own, unrelated products. Same as us, they use Azure AD for username/password auth but then their TOTP is a second, totally separate flow that happens once clients are redirected back from successful Azure AD login.

This seems really dodgy to me because firstly we're rolling our own crypto-adjacent code (which may or may not be bad), and we've also now got two separate markers of being authenticated to juggle and make sure to remember to verify in any APIs we want to expose, plus handling all the gnarly edge cases like being 'half' authenticated and invalidating one when the other becomes invalid etc.

It feels like a massive surface area for risk and maintenance that could be entirely avoided by using the MFA build into Azure.

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

toiletbrush posted:

It feels like a massive surface area for risk and maintenance that could be entirely avoided by using the MFA build into Azure.

yeah probably, lol, everything on azure is "insert coin to continue" but it's probably cheaper than doing your own

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

You need an auth service that vends one token after being given the user/pass and TOTP value, or rejects the whole thing. You don't want to let attackers know that they have one value or the other correct. You especially don't want to have your main codebases checking "hey do we have both of these things", since this is a recipe for "an attacker with stolen credentials can turn off MFA" or some other nonsense. You can vend the user/pass token to the user after they auth with the TOTP instead of creating yet another token, but the important thing is that it's gated on both and the user gets nothing (not even a separate error message) without both.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Volmarias posted:

You don't want to let attackers know that they have one value or the other correct.
Lol this is how MFA works everywhere though.

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

do any of them accept the wrong password, demand the MFA and then reject the login?

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

mystes posted:

Lol this is how MFA works everywhere though.

I know :(

mystes
May 31, 2006

pseudorandom name posted:

do any of them accept the wrong password, demand the MFA and then reject the login?
That would be confusing as gently caress so I doubt it.

I mean theoretically it would be better to not reveal that the password is correct like Volmarias said, but the password should be useless without the MFA anyway and the MFA provides so much more security than the password that I think everyone has just decided that it's not worth it to make the login process more confusing just to avoid revealing that the password was correct.

That said, the reason it's usually a separate step is because either 1) not all users will have MFA enabled, or 2) there may be MFA options other than TOTP which won't work if you just have three text boxes on the same page. If you're going to require TOTP for all users and not support other stuff like U2F then you could very well just ask for the TOTP code on the same page as the password and not reveal which was wrong.

mystes fucked around with this message at 15:55 on Nov 3, 2019

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

if you implement your own totp just be sure to have it accept ranges of numbers, so that “[0,999999]” always passes for example. thanks and god bless

mystes
May 31, 2006

Progressive JPEG posted:

if you implement your own totp just be sure to have it accept ranges of numbers, so that “[0,999999]” always passes for example. thanks and god bless
"⚠The number you entered is too high. You have 9 guesses remaining."

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

I use a Citrix portal that does this

SeaborneClink
Aug 27, 2010

MAWP... MAWP!

AWS does this

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

It's always DNS.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

domain’s not secure

James Baud
May 24, 2015

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Where does DNS come into play?

Adbot