Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

really hoping japan pass whatever the criteria for tier 1 nation status is

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Communist Bear
Oct 7, 2008

kecske posted:

really hoping japan pass whatever the criteria for tier 1 nation status is

There isn't. It's an old school club of corruption and bribery.

It would make sense to enter them into the championship with new Zealand/Australia/Boks etc rather than six Nations, due to location. But gently caress knows if any of it will happen.

Dog Friday
Feb 22, 2006
Well done SA, clinical performance and completely outplayed England in every department. Can't really blame the ref when you are getting dominated at the breakdown and your scrum is in turbo reverse for most of the game. Like against Japan, SA showed they are well coached and insanely good on defense, well deserved victory.

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

Communist Bear posted:

It would make sense to enter them into the championship with new Zealand/Australia/Boks etc rather than six Nations, due to location. But gently caress knows if any of it will happen.

before argentina joined the tri nations there was talk about allowing them to play the six nations based out of Spain. maybe they could do something similar

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

oh no computer posted:

And the results are in:

Big points loss for Wales.

Vaders Jester
Sep 9, 2009

:scotland:

Julio Cruz posted:

yeah, no

the complaining wasn’t “boy the advantage rule is dumb” but “why is the ref continuing this advantage”

It's almost like rhetorical questions exist.

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

IT CAN'T BE BARGAINED WITH.
IT CAN'T BE REASONED WITH.
IT DOESN'T FEEL PITY, OR REMORSE, OR FEAR.
AND IT ABSOLUTELY WILL NOT STOP, EVER, UNTIL YOU ADMIT YOU'RE WRONG ABOUT WARHAMMER
Clapping Larry
It's interesting really that England have ended up at number 3 rather than number 2.

I really respect what Gatland has done with Wales and I hope the next coaching team can really build on that. We've left the world cup as number 4, and that's not a bad place to be going forward.

From the start I think most people agreed the top 4/5 teams all stood a chance of winning this but NZ were the faves. The journey to get to the end has been great though, and overall a fantastic world cup, even if some games were a snooze (looking st you SA vs Wales).

stavros880
May 2, 2005
I like monkeys

Kitchner posted:

I really respect what Gatland has done with Wales and I hope the next coaching team can really build on that. We've left the world cup as number 4, and that's not a bad place to be going forward.

I think he's done a great job. I'm not sure how many people really remember the 90s/early 2000s. Wales were terrible, and winning games always felt like an upset. Today, we go into most games with a reasonable expectation of winning (or at least, a chance of winning).

12 Years,
2 World Cup Semi finals
1 World Cup Quarter final
4 Six Nations titles
3 Grand Slams

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
:patriot:
Gatland seems to have brought an All Blacks-style culture to Welsh rugby, at least from everything I've read (I've only been following the sport for 10 years), and I hope it sticks around after he leaves.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Apollodorus posted:

Gatland seems to have brought an All Blacks-style culture to Welsh rugby, at least from everything I've read (I've only been following the sport for 10 years), and I hope it sticks around after he leaves.

Wales used to have a terrible habit of dropping their heads if they went a score behind after applying some pressure. That would then lead them to conceding more points and getting thumped. Gatland has gotten them to the stage where they'll play for 80 mins regardless of the score which is an achievement in and of itself. Not sure it's ABs style pre se but it's an improvement.

DickEmery
Dec 5, 2004
Before Gatland Wales would have been over the moon to have scored a couple of tries against NZ and got to a semi-final.
They played loving shithouse for all but one half against AU and 4th is more than what they deserved.

I'm sad for AWJ, but he had more success than any of the great Welsh players of the last 30 years thanks to Gatland. Jiffy, Bateman, Stuart Evans and the like were world-class players who spent their careers losing to Tier 2 nations before having to go to league to earn some cash.

Plus, Robert Howley's favorite attack coach is gone so that's the future looking brighter at least.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

I believe in all the ways that they say you can lose your body
Fallen Rib
I just finished watching the game with my mates and family. Thank you pvr. Had a very restless night trying not to wake up and check the score but glad I held off on it so I could watch it with others. My brother was mouthing off against the boks before the game but was cheering the loudest when the tries came in. It was great to see that the boks changed their plan to a more attacking structure instead of kicking and absorbing. They really through England off in the first half, and England's nerves were showing.
The first half was tense and I was making GBS threads bricks with England right at our try line but when they didn't score I figured the boks knew what they were doing.
Second half was legendary and that Kolbe try capped it off beautifully. Hats off to England for a good campaign though, and for giving it their all in the final. So proud of the boks though. Every player was fully committed to the game and it was amazing to see. To cap it off Kolisi's speech after the game have me major feels and a year in my eye. I took at the good scotch after the game and it never tasted better. Bokke!

oystertoadfish
Jun 17, 2003

i was on tape delay the whole tournament but i enjoyed watching it, and someone quoted me being an rear end in a top hat about usa rugby and offered constructive commentary with a link i could go to to learn more, so i wanted to apologize for being an rear end to that person. if they're still here

it was a really good show, japan and the rugby world in general should be commended. it was cool to see rugby bringing south africa together to whatever degree and i'm happy for them as champions

Painkiller
Jan 30, 2005

You think the truth will set you free...
I didn't realise Mapimpi was already 29 and that he only turned professional at 24. He only got a break when a Vodacom Cup team went bust and they had to bring in some amateurs to fill the squad out. Pretty crazy journey to go from playing Eastern Cape amateur rugby to scoring in a World Cup Final.

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

"Science is not only compatible with spirituality; it is a profound source of spirituality."

-Carl Sagan
Finally caught the final on replay. Bokke putting up some amazing defense, excellent scrummaging. Kolbe, du Toit, Faf, Pollard, everybody was loving killing it. Shame about the early injuries for both sides, probably a ton of disappointment :/

Glad to see Garces gone

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

AND IT ABSOLUTELY WILL NOT STOP, EVER, UNTIL YOU ADMIT YOU'RE WRONG ABOUT WARHAMMER
Clapping Larry
I'm so glad most the England fans on here have been pretty gracious about their defeat with a couple of exceptions. On reddit there's a whole bunch of them defending the fact they are the only team that has had a whole bunch of their players refuse to wear their silver medals or accept them being hung over their necks. Loads of them whining about how it's no big deal that every other team has accepted their medals and that this is classic England hate from obnoxious literally-everyone-else fans.

I feel sorry for cool England fans. I sat next to a few in the last Wales vs England game I saw in Cardiff, and they were chill. Then you see the English media, the arseholes online, and the fair weather fans making excuses and moaning. Must be tough.

1000 Brown M and Ms
Oct 22, 2008

F:\DL>quickfli 4-clowns.fli
I noticed a lot of the English team had taken off their medals later on when the Springboks were getting theirs presented. That's fine, I have no problem with that and can understand how they feel, but at least most of them had the good grace to wait until after the cameras were off them. Reminds me a lot of the furore in the Olympic women's ice hockey final last year when that Canadian player took her silver medal off straight away. All the Canadians I know were cringing about that even though they could understand her frustration and anger.

You kind of hope that they'll look back with a bit of perspective now the emotions have cooled off. Runners up at a world cup (in any sport) is a pretty good achievement really. It's difficult enough to even make an international sports team let alone be contesting for world champions!

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
:patriot:
Yeah and it's not like any of those English players could think they were robbed by a questionable reffing decision...a 20-point margin is pretty clear.

On the other hand, maybe they were feeling really angry at themselves for letting down the jersey and didn't want to be reminded of their failure, which I can definitely understand. They all hold themselves to really high standards.

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

Clapping Larry
To be fair I don't actually think too badly of the players beyond it just being a little bit crap. Most people felt they were going to win that game and they got beat. On the other hand as mentioned here they got best good and proper, not a contraversial reffing decision, and SA even scored tow cracking tries.

That didn't annoy me, it was the guys on reddit defending it saying it wasn't anything bad, loads of people do it, and that this is all just unwarranted England hate.

When Gatland immediately knocked England in the interview after losing to SA I pointed out it wasn't very sporting of him. He's still an amazing coach and respect everything he's done. People who don't feel they can just admit and agree with other people when their team hasn't been good/sporting or whatever is just frustrating. It's just a game.

Smorgasbord
Jun 18, 2004

Our review identified changes needed to be made and, in Stephen, we have a coach who has a reputation for demanding the highest standards.
To have the focus and determination to get to the elite level of any sport you are highly likely to be a hyper competitive rear end in a top hat who sees anything less than first as a failure. Most of the time there's a manager or PR person in their ear reminding them to do and say the right things while they're on camera which doesn't seem to have happened in this instance.

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

ALL ABOARD THE SCOTLAND HYPE TRAIN!

CHOO CHOO
Saracens maybe about to experience consequences for the first time...

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

What a time to be alive

https://twitter.com/OwsWills/status/1191124813651357697

HappyCamperGL
May 18, 2014

Why is the bear wearing a jacket but not trousers?

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
He was expecting videoconferencing.

drunk leprechaun
May 7, 2007
sobriety is for the weak and the stupid
Who among us doesn't enjoy the breeze on your bottom half bits that Donald Ducking allows for? It's quite refreshing from time to time.

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

Clapping Larry

Lol her twitter account has been set to private.

bigfoot again
Apr 24, 2007

I appreciate that Nige tweets the same way he refs

oh no computer
May 27, 2003

lol they've only gone ahead with it. And fined them £5.3m to boot.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/50300756

I imagine there'll be an appeal.

oh no computer fucked around with this message at 12:09 on Nov 5, 2019

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

ALL ABOARD THE SCOTLAND HYPE TRAIN!

CHOO CHOO

oh no computer posted:

Ahahahahahahahahaha

-26 points. All the lols

tarbrush fucked around with this message at 12:29 on Nov 5, 2019

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

Clapping Larry
Luckily those points were just assigned to Saracens Holding Company Ltd which they can dissolve and set up Saracens 2 Ltd which doesn't have the issue

oh no computer
May 27, 2003

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
Despite having an amazing tournament I had my criticisms of Faf de Villiers. Consider them all gone now. Anyone that meets royalty like this gets my respect.

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

Clapping Larry
The scrum half is always the class clown.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

oh no computer posted:

If the appeal fails there must be quite a few clubs looking at the fire sale of players that'll happen.

Dog Friday
Feb 22, 2006

Madkal posted:

Despite having an amazing tournament I had my criticisms of Faf de Villiers. Consider them all gone now. Anyone that meets royalty like this gets my respect.

Faf really is the most scrum half scrum half there is, gotta love it

HappyCamperGL
May 18, 2014

Madkal posted:

Faf de Villiers.

who?

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
The size of the fine is probably the least difficult aspect of that for them to handle. Will be fun to see if they start muck-raking and throwing other teams under the bus.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Dammit. De Klerk. I got de Villiers and de Villiers mixed up look a moron.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

oh no computer posted:

You mean to tell me that Faz Investments isn't a legitimate company?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/50303757

Sarries getting a review.