Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LinkesAuge
Sep 7, 2011

mllaneza posted:

A buddy just shared in group chat that he loved the first episode of "See" and is hooked.

Watched the first three episodes and it's suprisingly decent. Nothing earth shattering but I wasn't a fan of the trailer and yet liked the show so far (Jason Momoa is once again doing a good job, he might be typecast but it works just as it did in GoT). I think if you enjoy shows like "The 100" or post-apoc stuff in general you should give it a chance. The setting/world building has been interesting so far.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

showbiz_liz
Jun 2, 2008
Finished The Leftovers! I maybe admire it more than I love it, but I definitely liked that the entire show was far more about emotion and trauma and the connections between people than it was about the actual plot of the story. I'm always down for experimental television and this is maybe the most experimental show I've ever seen.

beanieson
Sep 25, 2008

I had the opportunity to change literally anything about the world and I used it to get a new av

showbiz_liz posted:

Finished The Leftovers! I maybe admire it more than I love it, but I definitely liked that the entire show was far more about emotion and trauma and the connections between people than it was about the actual plot of the story. I'm always down for experimental television and this is maybe the most experimental show I've ever seen.

Now watch Lost keeping in mind it’s about the same thing.

showbiz_liz
Jun 2, 2008

beanieson posted:

Now watch Lost keeping in mind it’s about the same thing.

I actually watched all of Lost for the first time earlier this year, with my roommate who's a huge fan. IMO it holds up to binging, and the fact that you don't have to wait years for answers (plus the fact that you know from the start that that a lot of people hated the ending) makes it all go down a lot smoother than it maybe did when it was airing.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

LinkesAuge posted:

Watched the first three episodes and it's suprisingly decent. Nothing earth shattering but I wasn't a fan of the trailer and yet liked the show so far (Jason Momoa is once again doing a good job, he might be typecast but it works just as it did in GoT). I think if you enjoy shows like "The 100" or post-apoc stuff in general you should give it a chance. The setting/world building has been interesting so far.

My fav part of this show is the amazing number of belt buckles these blind people seem to be able to knock out.

mystes
May 31, 2006

I watched season 2 of Jack Ryan and the plot made absolutely no sense.

beanieson
Sep 25, 2008

I had the opportunity to change literally anything about the world and I used it to get a new av

mystes posted:

Oh good I’m just starting it. Season 1 didn’t make a ton of sense either, but it was a dumb fun ride.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

mystes posted:

Venezuela bad, conflict minerals good, corporations bad, Jack Ryan good,

mystes
May 31, 2006

It's just weird because it's like they found the perfect combination of villain and MacGuffin that would make the plot completely fall apart at the end, and since the specifics are 100% irrelevant except as a vague excuse to drive the plot forward, I don't understand why they didn't just change it to anything else since it would make more sense.

beanieson
Sep 25, 2008

It’s nice to see Jaqen H’gar again tho

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

beanieson posted:

It’s nice to see Jaqen H’gar again tho

The only thing I've been thinking

S2 has been pretty weak so far, but I'm only halfway in

I feel like the best thing S1 had going was how much time it spent on the badguys, and here the Venezuelan president is just like "yep he's bad lets not waste time on that" he gets like all of one scene where he acts sorta intimidating...

Red Dad Redemption
Sep 29, 2007

awesome how easy it is to walk into port terminals. and ocean vessels. that scene reminded me of tampopo, actually. i kept waiting for ryan to make a rice omelette. until the mummy showed up. he didn’t suck ryan’s eyes out, unfortunately.

what’s great is that it’s impossible for your suspension of disbelief to be broken in this series, since it never gets suspended in the first place

beanieson
Sep 25, 2008

Even cooler how easy it is to meet with a sitting foreign president, tell him off, assault his head of security & not lose your job or anything lol

Red Dad Redemption
Sep 29, 2007

i think it’s his awesome pomade. cia officers always have the best pomades

e: maybe it’s a matte clay. wow what hair

also, jaquen can really run with multiple stab wounds to the leg and his eye poked out. it’s as impressive as the non tissue thin trash bag he was using to suffocate ryan. venezuelan hotels really think of everything

Red Dad Redemption fucked around with this message at 06:00 on Nov 3, 2019

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Nude Hoxha Cameo posted:

i think it’s his awesome pomade. cia officers always have the best pomades

e: maybe it’s a matte clay. wow what hair

also, jaquen can really run with multiple stab wounds to the leg and his eye poked out. it’s as impressive as the non tissue thin trash bag he was using to suffocate ryan. venezuelan hotels really think of everything

The bag thing is a constant head wrecker in many shows, and Treadstone had the same thing happen this week, instantly the KGB agent ripped a hole in it.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
Finished AHS Apocalypse.

It was pretty good! I guess I'm glad I accidentally watched the first season thinking it was Apocalypse because I'd probably have been totally loving lost since the house plays such an important role. It was cool that the Hotel season also played an interesting part as well. I've only seen the first season, the hotel season, and now this and I've enjoyed them all. Though I think my favorite so far has been Hotel simply because the soundtrack loving ruled.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

The Freakshow season of AHS is really good in really horrifying ways. I've just seen that and Coven, but it just has to be one of their best.

beanieson
Sep 25, 2008

Man I’m finishing up Jack Ryan and this has gotten profoundly stupid. They’re storming the goddamn presidential palace on Election Day after already being outed as tampering with the election lmao.

Michael Kelly tells Jim at one point “I know how much you want to assassinate this president but we don’t have authorization” as if they had any authorization to storm the palace in the first place :psyduck:

They straight up murder about 300 palace guards/soldiers during a party with a bunch of civilians present lol

These aren’t the guards at the off books prison camp, these are guards protecting their main seat of government

They made Jack Ryan (who’s already admittedly an unrealistic figure) and turned him into Jack Bauer. I can’t even begin to comprehend the fallout of their actions, they’d absolutely be sent to stand trial for all sorts of poo poo.

beanieson fucked around with this message at 18:59 on Nov 3, 2019

mystes
May 31, 2006

beanieson posted:

Man I’m finishing up Jack Ryan and this has gotten profoundly stupid. They’re storming the goddamn presidential palace on Election Day after already being outed as tampering with the election lmao.

Michael Kelly tells Jim at one point “I know how much you want to assassinate this president but we don’t have authorization” as if they had any authorization to storm the palace in the first place :psyduck:

They straight up murder about 300 palace guards/soldiers during a party with a bunch of civilians present lol

These aren’t the guards at the off books prison camp, these are guards protecting their main seat of government

They made Jack Ryan (who’s already admittedly an unrealistic figure) and turned him into Jack Bauer. I can’t even begin to comprehend the fallout of their actions, they’d absolutely be sent to stand trial for all sorts of poo poo.
Imagine Jack Ryan trying to explain how he got involved in all this poo poo in the first place by attacking a perfectly legal mining site that he mistakenly thought was some sort of arms trafficking operation.

Of course that's ignoring the fundamental plot holes that there was no reason for the mining company to secretly launch a satellite (can you even secretly launch a satellite? I think even the US government announces that they are launching spy satellites) just for mining stuff and there was no reason for the president of Venezuela to kill a senator just to cover up a mining operation.

Literally you could plug in "restaurant" in place of tantalum mining and the plot would make as much sense (namely none).

The way this season should have played out is that Jack Ryan randomly tries to sneak into the mining site and gets caught. The president is like "Are you stupid? This is a mining site. You could have just asked," and deports him. He gets fired from the CIA since they can't believe what a complete idiot he is and the season ends after one episode with nobody getting killed.

mystes fucked around with this message at 19:26 on Nov 3, 2019

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Feeling very justified in deciding to skip the season after seeing the trailer atm

Red Dad Redemption
Sep 29, 2007

For us, this season is working well as unintentional comedy, and we’ve been more or less riff-tracking it as we go.

We’re also working through Deutschland 86, which is actually quite good.

DuhSal
Aug 16, 2004

I will, brother. I promise.

Pillbug
Finished Primal and thought it was fantastic. The use of bright colour and gradients was beautiful. Direction was also really solid. Action-packed with moments of respite that washed over wonderfully.

Acht
Aug 13, 2012

WORLD'S BEST
E-DAD
Halfway into season 2 of Vis a Vis, catching up to my wife so we can watch further together.
What a boring series. Hardly anything happens, "emotional" moments are so unearned that they become laughable and characters seem to forget everything they do / say when a scene ends.
Anyone who watches this that knows if it gets any better?

empty sea
Jul 17, 2011

gonna saddle my seahorse and float out to the sunset
I'm rewatching Red Dwarf for the first time in probably 10 years and while the whole show holds up great, holy gently caress, how did I never properly appreciate Chris Barrie the first time around?

Rimmer is hot! No matter how hard they try to make his character pathetic and unlikable, he's still dummy hot.

Monstaland
Sep 23, 2003

Acht posted:

Halfway into season 2 of Vis a Vis, catching up to my wife so we can watch further together.
What a boring series. Hardly anything happens, "emotional" moments are so unearned that they become laughable and characters seem to forget everything they do / say when a scene ends.
Anyone who watches this that knows if it gets any better?

I got bored at the end of the first season because things got really far fatched and after the first episodes of the second season I quit. Especially that villain boss woman is ridiculous (forgot her name) and the way the protagonists family handles things is from planet nonsense. Also some timeline issues I couldn't get over it like her father and outside badguy searching for the treasure at exactly the same time just to name a single thing.

Fake edit
Actor playing her brother must the worst actor I've seen in a while

Acht
Aug 13, 2012

WORLD'S BEST
E-DAD

Klaaz posted:

I got bored at the end of the first season because things got really far fatched and after the first episodes of the second season I quit. Especially that villain boss woman is ridiculous (forgot her name) and the way the protagonists family handles things is from planet nonsense. Also some timeline issues I couldn't get over it like her father and outside badguy searching for the treasure at exactly the same time just to name a single thing.

Fake edit
Actor playing her brother must the worst actor I've seen in a while

Everything you have said, I have said to my wife as well. Literally, all of these points. :)
Still can't believe she got the series recommended as "Orange is the New Black, but cooler!"...

Meatgrinder
Jul 11, 2003

Te Occidere Possunt Sed Te Edere Non Possunt Nefas Est
Watched the first half of apparently the last season of BoJack Horseman. Still very solid, well crafted, clever, poignant, even scathing or outright funny at times, it makes me look forward to its concluding half next year.

I arrived at the end of season 4 of Babylon 5 and am reluctant to start season 5. I feel I've seen the best it's had to offer and can no longer stomach the bad. I only got through season 4 by fast forwarding through any scene with the female lead alien in it, so maybe it's time to at least give it a break.

Started Succession and I am only 2 episodes in and very intrigued to find out where it's going. I love the little jangly music they play that mimics the disjointedness of the characters and their relationships, it's got an almost eerie quality to it, like I'm watching horror or a thriller.

edit:

empty sea posted:

I'm rewatching Red Dwarf for the first time in probably 10 years and while the whole show holds up great, holy gently caress, how did I never properly appreciate Chris Barrie the first time around?

Rimmer is hot! No matter how hard they try to make his character pathetic and unlikable, he's still dummy hot.

Thread says you last rewatched it in December of 2013, so more like 6 years ago than 10. You were going on about Barrie back then, too, which is why I mention it: have you ever watched The Brittas Empire? Because that's like 6 seasons of comedy tailored entirely to him and his unlikeable git schtick.

Meatgrinder fucked around with this message at 00:10 on Nov 6, 2019

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

Yeah I loved See too. Lots of visceral action in interesting set pieces. They aren't introducing too much world either. It's like three places and that's just great. Anti-Westeros.
And out of AqaurMun, Khal Drogo and Baba Voss in this, I like him best as Baba.

Wild Horses
Oct 31, 2012

There's really no meaning in making beetles fight.
I started binge watching Justified since i just finished deadwood and i needed more timothy olyphant justifiably shooting people in the chest.
so far, i'm getting my fill

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

He kills a bunch of people in Santa Clarita Diet as well

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Santa Clarita Diet is fantastic.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Lampsacus posted:

Yeah I loved See too. Lots of visceral action in interesting set pieces. They aren't introducing too much world either. It's like three places and that's just great. Anti-Westeros.
And out of AqaurMun, Khal Drogo and Baba Voss in this, I like him best as Baba.

Don't forget Declan Harp

Constellation I
Apr 3, 2005
I'm a sucker, a little fucker.
Totally echoing the Jack Ryan S2 riffing. It was kind of entertaining but holy poo poo what a terrible loving plot. Season 1 at least had some great character interaction. All the ones here just make no goddamn sense. Plus they did my boy Habib Marwan dirty by giving him such a minor role.

Ishamael
Feb 18, 2004

You don't have to love me, but you will respect me.
I started Lodge 49, I had this idea it was about some kind of supernatural/magical stuff (not sure why) but I am 4 episodes in and it is just a super-low-stakes drama with some likeable characters and absolutely no plot. Does this show go anywhere?

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Kinda no and kinda yes but it’s loving awesome either way

Dicty Bojangles
Apr 14, 2001

Lodge 49 is a slow bloomer but when it does boy howdy is the fruit worth the ride.

Meatgrinder
Jul 11, 2003

Te Occidere Possunt Sed Te Edere Non Possunt Nefas Est
Just a heads up, a second series of The End Of The F***ing World dropped 2 days ago. Very curious how they figure the story could be expanded upon, but it seems to be getting critical acclaim.

Red Dad Redemption
Sep 29, 2007

a new season of midnight diner is (finally) out

we’re just starting in, so too soon to review, but we loved s1 and have high hopes

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Meatgrinder posted:

Just a heads up, a second series of The End Of The F***ing World dropped 2 days ago. Very curious how they figure the story could be expanded upon, but it seems to be getting critical acclaim.

This show is so good. Season 1 was great. Season 2 is great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hilario Baldness
Feb 10, 2005

:buddy:

Grimey Drawer

mcmagic posted:

This show is so good. Season 1 was great. Season 2 is great.

Seconding this. Very good show and new season.