Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bird cooch
Jan 19, 2007
Build an office building.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrUnderbridge
Jun 25, 2011

Huh. Wonder what party passed the law capping the House at 435....

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Let's just go to the constitutional maximum house size, be a full loving galactic senate

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

shovelbum posted:

The Senate was intended to keep powerful rural interests safe from the urban masses, which if you're building a republic by/of/for wealthy gentleman plantation owners is pretty reasonable, but in our day and age the ultrarural states are essentially rotten boroughs controlled by the same old Wall Street billionaire types.

I don’t think we need to pretend any more that the obsession over rural voters is anything but regressive politicians taking advantage of a “downtrodden farmers” narrative to gain power before loving them over.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Tunicate posted:

Let's just go to the constitutional maximum house size, be a full loving galactic senate

This, but unironically. It is much more difficult to gerrymander a 10,000 person district than a 650,000 person one.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

MrUnderbridge posted:

Huh. Wonder what party passed the law capping the House at 435....

To be fair, 435 members is already pretty big and unwieldy.

bird cooch
Jan 19, 2007

Vengarr posted:

To be fair, 435 members is already pretty big and unwieldy.

So is America.

DaNerd
Sep 15, 2009

u br?
Deployed with this 31 year old E3 who had two kids with different mom's and wasn't with either of them. Not surprisingly he was an annoying little poo poo so we sent him off to HQ so he could go be useless away from us. While he's there he fakes a MarineNet certificate for his PME and submits it so he can get promoted but gets caught out because they track that poo poo.

Our MGySgt, LtCol, and Col all offer to give him a 6105 if he confesses instead of doing a full blown NJP. He professes innocence the whole time and we counsel him about his rights regarding attorneys and stuff. Day of the NJP comes and he refuses to contest with some lame excuse, ends up as an E2 and docked pay. By this point we were all completely done with his poo poo so I don't think anyone even bothered to ask why he didn't fight it if he was so "innocent".

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

DaNerd posted:

Deployed with this 31 year old E3 who had two kids with different mom's and wasn't with either of them. Not surprisingly he was an annoying little poo poo so we sent him off to HQ so he could go be useless away from us. While he's there he fakes a MarineNet certificate for his PME and submits it so he can get promoted but gets caught out because they track that poo poo.

Our MGySgt, LtCol, and Col all offer to give him a 6105 if he confesses instead of doing a full blown NJP. He professes innocence the whole time and we counsel him about his rights regarding attorneys and stuff. Day of the NJP comes and he refuses to contest with some lame excuse, ends up as an E2 and docked pay. By this point we were all completely done with his poo poo so I don't think anyone even bothered to ask why he didn't fight it if he was so "innocent".

....wow.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM
1> Senators represent states, not people.

2> it’s hilarious that people think MORE representatives will somehow be an improvement in any way for a body of shitheads with a single digit approval rating.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

maybe a form of government created to benefit white male landowners isn't super practical 200 years on

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit
Heresy

Hexyflexy
Sep 2, 2011

asymptotically approaching one

EBB posted:

maybe a form of government created to benefit white male landowners isn't super practical 200 years on

they still own all the land, it's worked out perfectly practical

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
Pearl clutching do hard about the "rurals" so hard you get a job for a mining company

Hagop
May 14, 2012

First one out of the Ranger gets a prize!
I like this guy's take on how to fix the house.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gUdanV8lxkE
house talk starts around the 5 minute mark.

Big districts with multiple representatives proportionally assigned. Hard to gently caress with, would give better representation to everyone in the district, and gives 3rd parties a chance. I don't think there is any fix for the senate besides doing away it, which I don't believe possible outside another civil war.

Thump!
Nov 25, 2007

Look, fat, here's the fact, Kulak!

EBB posted:

:byodood:DON’T TREAD ON ME!!!!

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

Boot self-owns on reddit

https://www.reddit.com/r/tifu/comments/dpcjbg/tifu_by_flying_650_miles_just_to_get_catfished_in/

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

Speaking of boots, yesterday we had a report of a suspicious package near the coast guard/navy/marine base in Portland Oregon. Thankfully a kind homeless decided to risk his like by searching the package and taking the container for himself before running away. Turns out some marine boot forgot his duffelbag out in the street.

I wanna be a fly on the wall when the marine command calls this poor marine boot to their office.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

AlternateAccount posted:

1> Senators represent states, not people.

2> it’s hilarious that people think MORE representatives will somehow be an improvement in any way for a body of shitheads with a single digit approval rating.

I mean we could go back to the Senate having members assigned by the State-level assemblies rather than popular election. That'd be closer to representative, if still super vulnerable to gerrymandering on the local level.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Liquid Communism posted:

I mean we could go back to the Senate having members assigned by the State-level assemblies rather than popular election. That'd be closer to representative, if still super vulnerable to gerrymandering on the local level.

Why would that be better? Instead make the Senate national proportional with party lists.

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

Speaking of idiots,

Have you guys read "The Hooligans of Kandahar"? It's by the dude that runs the "Lions led by Donkeys" podcast.

The description of the fighting position inside of the loving bath-house/sleeping quarters complete with concertina wire, C4, a claymore and a M240 had me howling. Everyone had a Creep that made that stupid poo poo happen.

AGGGGH BEES
Apr 28, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
boy I sure love reading D&D posting in what's supposed to be the chill, funny thread

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

Internet Wizard posted:

Plus cities are a blight on the planet and responsible for an insane amount of the national carbon footprint but let’s keep acting like they’re the best ever

this is wildly wrong

My Spirit Otter
Jun 15, 2006

CANADA DOESN'T GET PENS LIKE THIS

SKILCRAFT KREW Reppin' Quality Blind Made American Products. Bitch.

Eugene V. Dubstep posted:

this is wildly wrong

Most industrial manufacturing is done on the outskirts of a city.

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

Clarify that statement.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
Gentlemen! You can't be idiots here, this is the idiots thread!

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

Dude, you've got to screenshot it. Otherwise it gets lost when they inevitably delete it, as this guy has.

AGGGGH BEES
Apr 28, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Hyperlynx posted:

Dude, you've got to screenshot it. Otherwise it gets lost when they inevitably delete it, as this guy has.

https://www.removeddit.com/r/tifu/comments/dpcjbg/tifu_by_flying_650_miles_just_to_get_catfished_in/

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

So on a scale of "a good talking to" to "supremely turbo-hosed", how turbo-hosed is this guy?

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
At the very least, he's about to learn what boot polish tastes like after at least one CO shoves theirs so far up his rear end it clicks the back of his teeth.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

MA-Horus posted:

So on a scale of "a good talking to" to "supremely turbo-hosed", how turbo-hosed is this guy?

He sold his primary body armor. That's bad.

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

Seems fair that on his next (real) deployment, he gets a bottle of cat pills instead of plates to put in his carrier.

Guest2553 fucked around with this message at 18:37 on Nov 2, 2019

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

fake as hell

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u
It was always funny heading out of camp Casey all the pawn shops outside the gates packed full of IOTVs and plates and all kinds of random, seemingly important army gear.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

The one outside of Fairbanks that was run by sketchy Russians was the same. I knew an LT whose helmet was stolen and landed on their shelves, naturally CID refused to do anything about it :downs:

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

I sucked a dick for bus fare and then I walked home.

is that cat ok

cult_hero
Jul 10, 2001

Smiling Jack posted:

is that cat ok

That is literally all I care about in this story.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nystral
Feb 6, 2002

Every man likes a pretty girl with him at a skeleton dance.

cult_hero posted:

That is literally all I care about in this story.

:same: