Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wub a Dub Sub
Feb 13, 2012

to the heart and mind
ignorance is kind

there's no comfort in the truth
pain is all youll find

so im never gonna dance again
guilty feet have got no rhythem...

Brimstone Inquiry posted:

Ask him why he's so interested in muscling in on Big Herc's hustle via podcasting prison life.

I mean I'd listen the gently caress out of it, but man if that's not a crowded market. Maybe he could start as a guest?

we're on to wes watson now dawg

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

John_A_Tallon
Nov 22, 2000

Oh my! Check out that mitre!

Bust Rodd posted:

-he’s deeply weirded out by people staring at their phones all day

Me too buddy. Me too.

Gone Fashing
Aug 4, 2004

KEEP POSTIN
I'M STILL LAFFIN
cool thread. the part about the dogs was keut

gbs but from 2004
Oct 24, 2004

wow u rude pig

"i STarTed this TOIlEt Of A tHreaD aNd HAve sOmEHOW aVoidEd A red teXt"
u gotta educate him about vore dude

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

gbs but from 2004 posted:

u gotta educate him about vore dude

The trouble with that is choosing which type of vore to introduce him to first.

Jabberlock
Nov 29, 2014

We were this close for you to be able to tell him that Clinton was still president

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007
Now I understand why the OP has hot takes in every thread

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

make him smoke weed and then put a VR headset on him

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.

Away all Goats posted:

make him smoke angel dust and then put a VR headset on him

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

Donovan Trip posted:

Now I understand why the OP has hot takes in every thread

What’s this mean?

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

Bust Rodd posted:

I’m gonna start saving up to buy him a laptop, he needs a computer and way to watch stuff in his room and I know he’d love it once he got used to it.

an amazon fire 10 is probably the cheapest way to do this until you can get something actually good

MightyJoe36
Dec 29, 2013

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

Necrothatcher posted:

I love how this thread is treating prison as being in suspended animation for 20 years.

When I came back from my first tour overseas in the early '80s, I felt like I had been in a sort of suspended animation for two years with the amount of changes that had happened in the US at the time. I feel like it's a lot more so for a person who has been in prison for 20 years.

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

You are an odd fellow, but I must say... you throw a swell shindig.

Assure him that yes, the Simpsons is still on and funnier than ever, even though it is a little diffrrent than he remembers. (Then show him Family Guy.)

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Wow I just found out his other favorite series of books from inside was The Sword of Truth by Terry Goodkind.

Life on the inside really is hell.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

All television is like anime now

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Bust Rodd posted:

Wow I just found out his other favorite series of books from inside was The Sword of Truth by Terry Goodkind.

I'm sorry but your brother is a lost cause now.

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

Bust Rodd posted:

lmfao

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:
Legit question: Ask him if he remembers what a big Mac meal tastes like. Then get him a big Mac meal. Does it taste the same?

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Get him to read Jordan Peterson's newest book. Unironically.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
We're trying to get the man back on his feet, not gently caress him up even worse.

Kazak
Jan 10, 2012

jonathan posted:

Get him to read Jordan Peterson's newest book. Unironically.

Hasn't society done enough to sap him of his vitality

Willfrey
Jul 20, 2007

Why don't the poors simply buy more money?
Fun Shoe
Gotta bring him up to speed on meme technology. Dancing baby gifs should be a good start

Edit: just realized that I am old ans 20 years ago was 1999

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

You are an odd fellow, but I must say... you throw a swell shindig.

Just start talking in the slang from a Clockwork Orange as if that's just way people speak now.

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost
Show him old memes that used to be funny but have not aged well. Are they funny to him?

Anything from 2006 should work

An Ounce of Gold
Jul 13, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Let him know Duke Nukem Forever came out...

Also let him know it was garbage.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time

An Ounce of Gold posted:

Let him know Duke Nukem Forever came out...

Also let him know it was garbage.

Dude's been locked up for 20 years. Let the poor man reintegrate for a while before dropping this kind of bombshell on him.

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
Let him play Half Life 2 and tell him all about this great new sequel that'll be out soon

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
He's out now, so I guess you can let him in on whole 'The Donald Trump presidency was a badly thought out hoax to gently caress with prison inmates' thing.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

Bust Rodd posted:

If he's into sci-fi as much as fantasy, an unironic suggestion would be Peter F Hamilton's sci-fi, I recommend starting with his Commonwealth Saga, which is a two-book series that starts with Pandora's Star.

This sounds small until you realize that both Pandora's Star and it's sequel, Judas Unchained, are both over a thousand pages and Pandora's Star ends on a literal cliffhanger, so buckle the gently caress in.

tpink
Feb 18, 2013

Melman

Coolguye posted:

If he's into sci-fi as much as fantasy, an unironic suggestion would be Peter F Hamilton's sci-fi, I recommend starting with his Commonwealth Saga, which is a two-book series that starts with Pandora's Star.

This sounds small until you realize that both Pandora's Star and it's sequel, Judas Unchained, are both over a thousand pages and Pandora's Star ends on a literal cliffhanger, so buckle the gently caress in.

This is a cool thread, op. If you want more sci-fi recommendations, let me know - there’s been a lot of really good stuff coming out lately, so if your brother wants to just chill and read too, there are good options. I think it’s awesome that you are helping him ease into being back out. I honestly don’t know how people can deal with being in prison for that long, and I am pretty sure I couldn’t handle it.

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

Brimstone Inquiry posted:

Ask him why he's so interested in muscling in on Big Herc's hustle via podcasting prison life.

I mean I'd listen the gently caress out of it, but man if that's not a crowded market. Maybe he could start as a guest?

Homie I already made a post about peter gazin and getting them cheekth buthted

Giganticon
Mar 10, 2010

Pillbug
How's he fitting in? How's he likin GOT?

Untrustable
Mar 17, 2009

Has anyone mentioned OILDOME? My brother was in for many years and his oildome stories warmed many a heart in the UFC threads.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
He’s doing amazingly well.

1) we finished GoT Season 1 in two sittings. He’s so excited anytime anyone new comes on screen, he recognizes everything instantly and nearly jumps up in his chair. Please no spoilers, I’m very invested now lol

2) I upgraded my gym membership and he and I have been going and these 45 minute prison yard workouts are annihilating me. At 46 years old he is just dusting me, I’m experiencing pain in muscles I did not know that I had, but he’s so happy to have a lifting partner and I can always use the exercise.

3) he has already secured a landscaping job and his parole officer cleared it, he’ll start sometime this month. He’s very excited to get into a routine.

4) he’s video chatting with his son a lot. Jr. is 21, Autistic, and lives with his mom, but he seems happy and works hard in school and has a girlfriend in Florida he visits every semester. It’s heartwarming watching them talk, and we all have the exact same beard.

5) the game he wants to play first is the new God of War. He read about it a lot and for obvious reasons the story of a horribly violent person trying to redeem themselves by being a good dad really speaks to him, well start it this week.

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

I know someone mentioned this, but if he's got to report to a parole officer, depending on the terms of his release, it's likely he shouldn't be drinking. If he pisses hot (they can test for up to 80 hours after your last drink via urine analysis) thats a parole violation.
BUT you and he know the terms of his parole and it sounds like you're doing right by him, just want to make sure you don't unintentionally have a tragic mistake on your hands or whatever. Good luck to you and your family!

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
His parole officer very clearly stated in no uncertain terms that he doesn’t give a poo poo. North Carolina cares, but he’s doing them a favor by keeping my brother in South Carolina, which doesn’t care at all.

He said “If I don’t hear about you, I’m not gonna waste time thinking about you. Just stay out of trouble and we’ll be fine. I’m not dropping in randomly, I’m not drug testing you, I’m really not worried about you at all.”

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
Idk if you want to trust a parole officer :tinfoil: they are basically cops!

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
Occams razor says the PO is lazy and thinks your bro isn't going to cause an problems.

Murphy's law says your bro is going to get his drink on and get involved in a bar fight.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Bust Rodd posted:

He’s doing amazingly well.

1) we finished GoT Season 1 in two sittings. He’s so excited anytime anyone new comes on screen, he recognizes everything instantly and nearly jumps up in his chair. Please no spoilers, I’m very invested now lol

2) I upgraded my gym membership and he and I have been going and these 45 minute prison yard workouts are annihilating me. At 46 years old he is just dusting me, I’m experiencing pain in muscles I did not know that I had, but he’s so happy to have a lifting partner and I can always use the exercise.

3) he has already secured a landscaping job and his parole officer cleared it, he’ll start sometime this month. He’s very excited to get into a routine.

4) he’s video chatting with his son a lot. Jr. is 21, Autistic, and lives with his mom, but he seems happy and works hard in school and has a girlfriend in Florida he visits every semester. It’s heartwarming watching them talk, and we all have the exact same beard.

5) the game he wants to play first is the new God of War. He read about it a lot and for obvious reasons the story of a horribly violent person trying to redeem themselves by being a good dad really speaks to him, well start it this week.

Tell him the Muspelheim dungeons aren't worth the effort, and Ratatosker is the only good summon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

I'd be interested in hearing what the prison workouts are. really interesting thread.